The Master Tonic - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 174 Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I used Bragg's a few months ago, but didn't refrigerate it
according to the company you are NOT to refrigerate it, just keep it out of direct sunlight and shake it prior to using it, it has a shelf life of 5 years

I have been using it with no problems at all, still tastes the same

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#62 of 174 Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
So funny to find this thread today when I've been reading the TF forum here forever, but heard about Master Tonic on another board about a month ago I made it and it was finished a couple of weeks ago. I took it to clear up my persistent sore throat/earache that I seem to have 8 months out of the year. I had to take it a few times a day for several days, but it eventually did the trick and I love the taste. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
ah, i had to LOL at this thread. i've been researching this tonic on my own for the past two weeks after reading about it on an organic chicken-keepers list (it's great for chicken immune systems too, apparently).
Could you share some basic info or PM me some links? I have been researching adding plain raw acv to our chickens' water, but it never occured to me to give them the Master Tonic. I have tons of leftover ingredients from making it for us, so it would be no problem to make more for our ladies.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#63 of 174 Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing...

Hey, what do you think would happen if I used pure, but jarred, horseradish? I love horseradish, but haven't been able to find it fresh. If you couldn't find fresh, would you leave it out or go with the jarred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
Well I made some today but didn't have fresh horseradish... I did have garlic and onion from my garden and picked up ginger and pepper while I was out. I am going against the moon phase advice, oops. I though it smelled alright, after I stopped crying from the onion, lol, but we'll see how brave I am when the time comes to try it!
So what is the moon phase advice?

Start it on the new and it's ready to drink on the full?
#64 of 174 Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr View Post
I'm confused about how to make this. What recipe is everyone using?

I'm excited to try it!

There's a link to the recipe on the first page of this thread
http://www.its-my-health.com/documents/MasterTonic.pdf
#65 of 174 Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Subbing...

Hey, what do you think would happen if I used pure, but jarred, horseradish? I love horseradish, but haven't been able to find it fresh. If you couldn't find fresh, would you leave it out or go with the jarred?

So what is the moon phase advice?

Start it on the new and it's ready to drink on the full?
The recipe specifies fresh so, I'm not sure?

I don't get the whole moon phase but, in the link to the recipe posted, it says you should make it on the new moon and strain it on the full moon.

I didn't follow the moon cycles when making mine.
#66 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
There's a link to the recipe on the first page of this thread
http://www.its-my-health.com/documents/MasterTonic.pdf
Der! Thanks! How did I miss this??
#67 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 AM

This would still be beneficial with heated ACV, no? I'm going to assume so and try it out.. I've never seen raw here.. (Heinz isn't raw, right? I'm assuming not)..
#68 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
So funny to find this thread today when I've been reading the TF forum here forever, but heard about Master Tonic on another board about a month ago I made it and it was finished a couple of weeks ago. I took it to clear up my persistent sore throat/earache that I seem to have 8 months out of the year. I had to take it a few times a day for several days, but it eventually did the trick and I love the taste. :

Could you share some basic info or PM me some links? I have been researching adding plain raw acv to our chickens' water, but it never occured to me to give them the Master Tonic. I have tons of leftover ingredients from making it for us, so it would be no problem to make more for our ladies.
sent you a PM, but thought i'd share the basics in case there are other chicken mamas out there who are interested

i read on this yahoo group that i'm on that lots of folks who raise chickens without vaccines and who use organic feed and free range their birds and such give them this tonic as a preventative during the times when illness is most likely. also give it to chicks to keep them healthy since chicks are so prone to illness. a tablespoon per quart of water as a preventative was what was recommended, more if there is actual illness in the flock that you're trying to kick. apparently they don't taste hotness so it's not a problem on that level.

i also give my chickens kefir a few times a week - they love it, and they always lay more eggs on keir days. great source of protein and calcium, plus an immune booster. that was a tip i learned on that list as well
#69 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Ooh! I'd love to hear more about the honey pickled garlic cloves. Any idea how to do this? I googled but couldn't find any info...
This is the basic idea, as I remember it. It was a really popular idea about... oh... 7 or 8 years ago. I am still friends with some of those herby women, so I'm going to ask them specifically what they did. If it's different, I'll post an update.

I know several of my herby friends made extra garlic-in-honey, for their own personal munching. The remedy is supposed to just be the garlic-infused honey... but they love munching the cloves themselves, once they've mellowed and softened in the honey for a while.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#70 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Awesome! Thank you so much And thank you to Pinky for the info as well.

I have a jar of ginger honey and a jar of garlic honey going right now. My house smells fantastic!
#71 of 174 Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
This would still be beneficial with heated ACV, no? I'm going to assume so and try it out.. I've never seen raw here.. (Heinz isn't raw, right? I'm assuming not)..
raw acv will have active cultures in it. AFAIK Heinz isn't really acv...not sure if it's been heated to kill the culture OR if it's just flavored.

can you buy kombucha? maybe fermenting it in that would work since it has live cultures.

or buy acv from amazon? health food store?
#72 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
raw acv will have active cultures in it. AFAIK Heinz isn't really acv...not sure if it's been heated to kill the culture OR if it's just flavored.

can you buy kombucha? maybe fermenting it in that would work since it has live cultures.

or buy acv from amazon? health food store?
I asked on a local list about where to find raw ACV.. I think I've decided that I'm going to try to make it myself! Although I do have kombucha.. I didn't think of using that!
#73 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 05:10 PM

you know, I was also thinking that acv has a lot of health benefits, but it's only ONE part of the master tonic. I'm sure that lacto-fermented peppers, onions, horseradish, ginger and garlic without acv would still have amazing healing properties! (I guess with a brine) Another poster left out one of the ingredients when she couldn't find it...maybe the acv could just be left out???
#74 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
you know, I was also thinking that acv has a lot of health benefits, but it's only ONE part of the master tonic. I'm sure that lacto-fermented peppers, onions, horseradish, ginger and garlic without acv would still have amazing healing properties! (I guess with a brine) Another poster left out one of the ingredients when she couldn't find it...maybe the acv could just be left out???
But what would you use to ferment it?

Also, how long do you all think the the honey and garlic will keep?
#75 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
But what would you use to ferment it?

Also, how long do you all think the the honey and garlic will keep?
You can use a brine as the liquid and then the natural bacteria on the veggies will start the ferment...just like kim chi or saurkraut in Wild Fermentation. I actually make Jalapeno En Escabeche (I *think* that's what it's called...) that's fermented jalapenos, carrots, cauliflower, onions, and garlic that we eat as a condiment.

I've never done the garlic honey, but I would think that since there is very little water in the garlic it'd last a while...honey alone is very shelf stable.
#76 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You can use a brine as the liquid and then the natural bacteria on the veggies will start the ferment...just like kim chi or saurkraut in Wild Fermentation. I actually make Jalapeno En Escabeche (I *think* that's what it's called...) that's fermented jalapenos, carrots, cauliflower, onions, and garlic that we eat as a condiment.

I've never done the garlic honey, but I would think that since there is very little water in the garlic it'd last a while...honey alone is very shelf stable.
Thanks!!
#77 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!
No problem!

It's taken me a long time to get from nervously following fermenting recipes exactly (lest I kill us all...just ask my MIL!) to just winging it and following the general guide for ingredients. So I guess I was just pointing out that I think it'd be better to have a ferment of all those immune-supporting ingredients without the acv than to have nothing...might as well get started and then continue your quest for raw acv while your first batch ferments
#78 of 174 Old 09-05-2009, 07:44 PM

I don't know a whole lot about Traditional Chinese Medicine, but this sounds like a seriously warming tonic, wouldn't it be considered very yang? If so, wouldn't there be contra-indications? Like someone already with excessive yang? Or during illnesses that are characterized by excessive yang? I see why its good for colds, but what about taking it daily (as it sounds some of you are doing??)

I really truly don't know much about TCM, just enough to ask this question. Anyone else know more?

Thanks!
#79 of 174 Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I don't know a whole lot about Traditional Chinese Medicine, but this sounds like a seriously warming tonic, wouldn't it be considered very yang? If so, wouldn't there be contra-indications? Like someone already with excessive yang? Or during illnesses that are characterized by excessive yang? I see why its good for colds, but what about taking it daily (as it sounds some of you are doing??)

I really truly don't know much about TCM, just enough to ask this question. Anyone else know more?

Thanks!
i don't know much about chinese medicine either, but know a fair amount about ayurveda, which has similarities from what i understand. certainly for someone who was a predominantly pitta constitution (fire) it would not be a good thing to take regularly, especially in warm weather. but for someone who was predominantly kapha (earth) or vatta (air) constitution, it would probably be a great daily tonic. it really is dependent on your constitution. i think it would be fine for any constitution if the person were ill, though. it is likely that someone who shouldn't take it every day wouldn't feel good taking it regularly, so it would probably work itself out. i imagine someone like me who has pretty much zero pitta in my constitution could easily take it daily. it's why i love hot and spicy foods, it adds heat to my very un-fiery constitution. most people who are heavily pitta don't enjoy spicey food and often get stomach upset from food with lots of pitta, so the tonic would be likely be something they would force down when sick rather than one they would relish taking every day.
#80 of 174 Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 PM

I have my first batch of master tonic started. I have totally been craving the horseradish, so I did add some jarred horseradish in vinegar only to one jar, because I have not yet found fresh. And, I've been eating horseradish sauce with everything -- seems to be helping the sinuses. I MUST finally get around to growing it in the garden next year!

I also did a couple of jars of garlic cloves in honey. Really looking forward to this!

Quote:

I have a jar of ginger honey and a jar of garlic honey going right now. My house smells fantastic!
May I ask how you did the ginger honey? Is it ok to just peel and slice the ginger and top it off with honey the same way as the garlic cloves are done, or do you need to do something different with it?

I googled and found recipes for pickled sushi ginger made with vinegar and honey and for ginger honey cough syrup I totally want to make both of these. I think they'd make great Christmas gifts!

However, I have some lovely honey and I want to maximize the health benefits of the unpasturized honey and the raw ginger without boiling/blanching it, if I can get away with that.

I guess I'm not at the point where I'm ready to wing it, yet!
#81 of 174 Old 09-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
This is the basic idea, as I remember it. It was a really popular idea about... oh... 7 or 8 years ago. I am still friends with some of those herby women, so I'm going to ask them specifically what they did. If it's different, I'll post an update.

I know several of my herby friends made extra garlic-in-honey, for their own personal munching. The remedy is supposed to just be the garlic-infused honey... but they love munching the cloves themselves, once they've mellowed and softened in the honey for a while.
This really sounds so yummy. And I just filled up a jar of garlic cloves and poured honey over, and then had a terrible thought.

I don't know much about microbiology, but I remember reading in numerous sources that homemade garlic in oil preparations are a botulism risk because the toxin can grow when garlic is deprived of oxygen in oil. And we are told not to feed honey to babes because of the risk of infant botulism. Can garlic cloves in honey not be a botulism risk?

Can anyone reassure me?

Otherwise, I think I'll oven roast the garlic in honey, puree it, freeze it in cubes and add it to stir fries/chicken recipes. Which also sounds amazingly yummy....
#82 of 174 Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM

I just wanted to share that I started my master tonic today, after finding raw acv here!!!! wooo!! And it's almost the new moon, too.
I picked up some raw honey, and I really want to try the garlic honey tonic, too.
#83 of 174 Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
This really sounds so yummy. And I just filled up a jar of garlic cloves and poured honey over, and then had a terrible thought.

I don't know much about microbiology, but I remember reading in numerous sources that homemade garlic in oil preparations are a botulism risk because the toxin can grow when garlic is deprived of oxygen in oil. And we are told not to feed honey to babes because of the risk of infant botulism. Can garlic cloves in honey not be a botulism risk?

Can anyone reassure me?

Otherwise, I think I'll oven roast the garlic in honey, puree it, freeze it in cubes and add it to stir fries/chicken recipes. Which also sounds amazingly yummy....
Ack! Really? I never heard about the garlic in oil thing - I have a big bottle of oil with garlic cloves in it that I use all the time..... Guess I need to google....

One thing I did notice with the ginger in honey and the garlic in honey is that it makes the honey very runny - I'm assuming because both garlic and ginger contain liquid. I too have wondered if this is a problem? Honey is a strong antibacterial but still.......
#84 of 174 Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM

So is this something you use as a daily supplement, or for treatment when you are coming down with something?
#85 of 174 Old 09-24-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajean56 View Post
So is this something you use as a daily supplement, or for treatment when you are coming down with something?
I've read that you take a little every day, but I suspect for me, I'll be using it more when I am coming down with something.

I have my first batch almost ready to strain, jars with and without canned horseradish (as I couldn't find fresh horseradish). I was coming down with a cold a week ago and couldn't stop opening up the jars and eating the stuff by the spoonful. I think a pp in this thread also said she craved it when she was ill. It totally cleared up my congestion and my other symptoms were mild and ended earlier than usual, with no need for me to take the otc meds I usually resort to when I have sinus headaches/stuffy nose (first step to a migraine headache for me, so I can't let these symptoms go, ordinarily).

I am going to research whether I really have to start straining this -- I think I might just want to eat the stuff as a condiment, as is. I find it amazingly yummy (with the horseradish) ok (without the horseradish).
#86 of 174 Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM

anyone try this while nursing? My little ones have never been bothered by anything (at least that I realized) but just wondering.
#87 of 174 Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Not only does it not bother my nursing toddler, but he actually likes to sip it too!

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#88 of 174 Old 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM

Strained and jarred my first batch. Four quart jars of tonic left me with three quarts of tincture when strained. Very tasty. I never could worry down apple cider vinegar, except in an emergency (like to head off that case of food poisoning...which worked!). The master tonic has to have all the benefits of ACV and more and it is something I will look forward to taking

One thing...should have worn gloves for the straining. Used my hands to squeeze the juice out and my fingers are still tingling from the pepper juice!
#89 of 174 Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM

I just bottled my first batch too. I couldn't get any fresh horseradish, but yesterday I found fresh turmeric so I sliced it up and went ahead and added it to the strained tonic. I'm not really thrilled with the prospect of taking it but I think I'll start by adding some to a cup of hot bone broth and ease into it. Wow I bet this'll give a person some severe garlic breath!
#90 of 174 Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 PM

Does anyone have tips for giving this to children? My DD has what I think is the beginnings of flu

Aubergine68 - the pepper oil on your fingers is alcohol soluble so if you rinse your fingers with rubbing alcohol or even vodka it should take the sting away.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page