The Master Tonic - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 174 Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
No need to peel or wash anything. Just toss it all in the food processor whole. There are actually beneficial bacteria and yeasts on the outside that you want in your tonic.
DOH! I thought of that while peeling, but I wasn't sure...

Thanks!
Whitney
#152 of 174 Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 PM

wishing I'd read the previous posts before making it (spent quite a bit of time peeling sticky garlic, lol!) but at least I MADE some! Not w/ the new moon, and not sure I got all the ratios correct... I sort of tried to do equal-ish amounts of each (horseradish - the ONLY store in my area where I could find it was Whole Foods!?!?, ginger, onion were all about equal, slightly less garlic, and slightly less hot pepper). Our hot peppers were from our CSA. Our farmer doesn't tell you what's in the box; you have to figure it out on your own. In discovering how hot these peppers were - craaazy hot - like coughing while I'm cutting/seeding them; jalapenos, I'm guessing, I KNEW they were going to go into our master tonic (and nothing else, lol, we're NOT that much of heat-lovers around here!). I ended up w/ enough dry stuff to fill a bit more than 1/2 way, then filled w/ Bragg's ACV. I have two jars. I'm excited Thanks for all the action on this thread - it was very inspiring.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#153 of 174 Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 PM

Good luck, Onetrumpeter!

I've been using jars I put up last fall and it seems to me that after fermenting for a year, they are even more powerful than ever. Anyone else find this?

My family (who won't even try this stuff) has been sick so often lately, and I feel the sore throats coming on, chug some MT, and it just goes away. I don't remember it being so effective last year!
#154 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Good luck, Onetrumpeter!

I've been using jars I put up last fall and it seems to me that after fermenting for a year, they are even more powerful than ever. Anyone else find this?

My family (who won't even try this stuff) has been sick so often lately, and I feel the sore throats coming on, chug some MT, and it just goes away. I don't remember it being so effective last year!

Fascinating, but it does sort of make sense. Although I'd guess there might be a peak of effectiveness at some point(?) and then it might wane? but each herb might have its own timetable... I'm totally guessing here.

So, how much do you "chug" and how much did you make? I'm hoping our 2 qts will get us through the winter... but if we're chugging, perhaps not. Then again, it might be only *me* who'll take it! I did read someone suggesting using it as you would vinegar, like in salad dressings, etc. i guess depending on how hot it is/how much you use I might be able to sneak some in our food.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#155 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 AM

I made 6 or 7 quarts, I think? These are unstrained jars, so much less volume in liquid. Just to use up the bulk of the ingredients I bought; it was hard to judge how much I'd need. I've used about half. I take about an ounce, try to gargle with it and swallow. I've been taking it once or twice a day when I feel the symptoms.

I find it much easier to take than straight acv, which I have taken as an emergency remedy to head off symptoms of food poisoning -- worked for me, btw, but I wouldn't take it unless I had to. I find myself craving the MT when I am congested or feeling any upper-respiratory symptoms.

I have mixed a bit with salsa or pasta or salad dressing....but I don't think you can "sneak" it into anything. It is very strong-smelling, distinctively so, so they know it's there before they taste it even....
#156 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I have mixed a bit with salsa or pasta or salad dressing....but I don't think you can "sneak" it into anything. It is very strong-smelling, distinctively so, so they know it's there before they taste it even....
I agree. No sneaking it in anything!
#157 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 01:42 AM

This seams a lot like Kimchi, I know I love Kimchi. Is it the same?
#158 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 AM

nothing like kimchi. you strain all the chunks out and are left with just the infused/fermented liquid. I suppose the spicy taste is kimchiesqe.
#159 of 174 Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 AM

Hmm, I think I may just have to brew up a batch. ;0) My grandmas cold recipe is some what like this, but unfermented, Cayanne pepper, braggs vinager, honey, garlic, and horseradish.
#160 of 174 Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm an herbalist and I've always called this master tonic: Fire Cider. Just made some last week that is sitting in my cabinet. It will be ready to use in 5 weeks. My husband used it for a sinus infection with Usnea tincture and it worked like a charm. It's very potent stuff!
#161 of 174 Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I am still using my batch from the fall 2009.  Had a nasty feeling in my guts last night -something I ate? and a dose of tonic set me right again.  And it is the best thing I've got for warding off colds/sore throats.  

Love this stuff.  I'm down to three jars - I want to grow some of the ingredients this summer and make a new batch in the fall so I don't risk running out.

#162 of 174 Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM

Love my MT too!! :-D

Pat

I have a blog.
#163 of 174 Old 12-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Bumping/subscribing/planning.

Next new moon, December 24th.

Can't wait. It'll be my first batch and I'm already excited about it joy.gif

#164 of 174 Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

still using some from September 2010

made another batch in September 2011, haven't strained it yet (forgot about it)

am the only one who's using it here ....

#165 of 174 Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM

I'm still using mine from a couple of years ago, too.  When I get that "coming down with something" feeling, I take an ounce or two twice a day and it stops most everything in its tracks.  I still have lots left but will be making more next fall, likely.  No one else in my life will touch it, either lol!

#166 of 174 Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I use it! peace.gif I take it when I feel like I'm getting sick or have a sore throat! Love it!!
#167 of 174 Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

We love Master Tonic!

Pat

I have a blog.
#168 of 174 Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Today was the first time I've heard of this...I will be making some very soon!

#169 of 174 Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM

have been using it for gargling for the last 3 days, this stuff "works" !!!

but i had to look up that thread to remember when i did my last batch .... which i haven't strained yet so i must be using the last few drops of Sept2010

now, i need to work out when is the next new moon so i can make some more ....

#170 of 174 Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 PM

I'm excited to make some!
#171 of 174 Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 PM

new moon i believe is Jan first ... that leaves me a little while to gather ingredients ....

now, i don't seem to be able to find fresh horseradish over here ....

my september 2011 batch is not fierce at all, no hot pepper, no horseradish, cannot remember if i used a little ginger or not .... i suppose not ...

#172 of 174 Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 AM

Are you all refrigerating yours?  Is that why it's keeping for so long? 

#173 of 174 Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM

no, i tend to only refrigerate mine after i strain it and just so that i can have it handy

before i strain it, the jars are in a cupboard, sort of "out of the way"

#174 of 174 Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM

so ... in the end i found someone to buy fresh horseradish for me ... he went a bit overboard and baught a whole kilo of it !!!

luckily for me i had friends visiting that city on that week end & they carried it back home in the train for me ( at least 800 km !!!)

i wasn't sure i wanted to put that many hot peppers in that batch of master tonic so didn't buy as much as the other ingredients, actually this batch will be stronger in onion and horseradish with a bit less garlic and ginger and even less hot pepper (i mis-juged a bit and was running out of room in the 2 jars i had selected)

i still have 2 long roots of horseradish (about 500 grams) to use, so i need to stock up again in the rest of the ingredients ... and get going with the slicing of everything (not sure how long the horseradish fresh roots remain fresh ... will see), i still have two 3 litres glass jars ....

at that rate, i'm going to have a few kilos of "solids" when i strain to keep the liquid ... seems a pity to dump it .... but am not sure i'm up to eating any as "relish" .....

(+ how to preserve it once the vinegar has been drained out of the "relish" ???)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page