The Master Tonic - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 174 Old 12-28-2008, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever used this?
I just made a jar of it, hoping for good results. If you are not familiar with it, it is basically onion, garlic, hot pepper, ginger and horseradish chopped up and fermented in raw apple cider vinegar. Supposed to cure just about anything that ails you. If you Google it, a million links come up.
I have just gotten over a killer cold and am hoping next time this will cure it faster or even keep me from getting sick.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 174 Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 AM

Never heard of it or tried it but it sounds deliciously hot, and I love hot things, so I will have to try some.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#3 of 174 Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
AJP

I've used it (mine didn't have horseradish), and found it helpful when I had a stuffed-up head and a sore throat with a sluggish, cold feeling in my body. It feels like it really gets the lymph system moving and helps clear things out. In fact, each time I used it, I then craved it intensely until the symptoms cleared.

There is no secret ingredient.
#4 of 174 Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 PM

I haven't yet made it myself, but I've heard great things about it from my herbalist friends. Also, honeyed garlic... whole cloves (peeled, I assume) sort of pickled in honey. I'm not sure of the exact method... when I first heard of it, several years ago, I thought "yuck!" Now it sounds a lot better, and just the sort of thing I'd like to munch to stave off a cold.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#5 of 174 Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM

We always rely on this when we are feeling something coming on. We take it in some kombucha and it goes down a little easier. My toddler will even take it this way, but he's a funny kid.
#6 of 174 Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Sounds painful to drink. Are you supposed to drink it straight or how do you take it?

Edit: Video on how to make it at home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQbGDmaKZc
#7 of 174 Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM

Looks like it cures everything and is easy to make and have on hand. http://www.its-my-health.com/documents/MasterTonic.pdf

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'm hoping I can mix it in some salsa to get my kids to eat it. Will it be super-spicy, anyone know? I can't wait til it's ready.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#9 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 02:31 PM

[QUOTE= Will it be super-spicy, anyone know? I can't wait til it's ready.[/QUOTE]

Yes, very spicy! We call it "the hot stuff" around here. We usually just strain off the liquid and take that as a quick shot, with a chaser, or combine it with kombucha. It works wonders, though, and I actually crave it when I am feeling ill.
#10 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Oh this stuff is hot, and with the apple cider vinegar, you need a chaser for sure. I have used it and I think it works great for colds. I haven't found anything I could snewak it in yet, but I did get some gel caps at the co-op and my older ds(who can swallow pills) will take it when he's sick.

It's really good if you are plugged up too, when my ears are plugged I take a shot of this and can feel everything loosen up. Love the master tonic!
#11 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 03:28 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM

I've seen it recommended to add all ingredients to the blender. I've also seen it recommended to consume it on top of bread and butter. And "if you eat it with cheese, it isn't even very spicy"?? The suggestion was to partake of it regularly in this way, like a condiment. :

Especially warming, if coming in from the cold, windy, wet weather. And, just sniff to clear the sinuses.

Supposed to be helpful for bladder and kidney issues? (Maybe because it makes you drink a LOT of water. LOL)

Apparently, excess ginger can cause uterine contractions?? So, caution with pregnancy.

This article describes some of the myriad of benefits from a scientific (sorta) perspective. http://fairhillsfarm.com/weblog/?p=109

Also, delicious on fish, salmon, halibut, etc.

Here is a commercial version, without the horseradish: Blair's Mega Death Sauce- Feel Alive! http://www.hotsauceworld.com/blairmegdeat.html

Maybe we need a bit of wasabi added?

Here it is Cyclone Cider Herbal Tonic: http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/v...dproduct=43121 It is an herbal extract of CAYENNE PEPPER, GARLIC, ONION, HORSERADISH ROOT, GINGER ROOT, PARSLEY in a base of raw apple cider vinegar.

Pat

I have a blog.
#13 of 174 Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 PM

I have not used that one. We use garlic, honey, ACV. It works for everything! Amazing stuff but it's hard to choke down. I don't put much honey in mine lol. I read it originally as a cure for gbs.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#14 of 174 Old 01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
AJP

Yes, it is hot, but even the one I had that was made with habanero peppers instead of cayenne I could still just squirt it onto the back of my tongue with a dropper. I like moderately spicy food on occasion, not insanely hot, and this stuff is totally tolerable to me. I like it, actually. I haven't tried giving it to the kids, though.

There is no secret ingredient.
#15 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Yesterday, bought all the ingredients (Jalapenos, Serranos, Habeneros, etc.) for this "modern day plague tonic"; and I'm embarking on making this today!

:

Between this and some raw milk kefir, we could cure the world.

Pat

I have a blog.
#16 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Whew~ that is potent stuff!

Pat

I have a blog.
#17 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM

I just made some yesterday! How much do you take at once? Just a dropper full in the back of your throat?
#18 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 06:23 PM

I have made this and swear by it! We call it Fire Cider around here. I also used herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley. I took a shot of some and it made me burn all over!
#19 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
I just made some yesterday! How much do you take at once? Just a dropper full in the back of your throat?
I was brave. I took most of a tablespoon, without taste testing first and put it in the back of my mouth, gargled (sorta) a bit and felt it go alllllllll the way down to my navel.

About half way down, I decided I needed a chaser. My eyes were a bit teary. (I had an emergency banana sitting ready. But, left it uneaten.)

I made enough for the whole neighborhood, it appears! It cost about $20 for all the ingredients; and I have four mason jars full!

Pat

I have a blog.
#20 of 174 Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama View Post
I have made this and swear by it! We call it Fire Cider around here. I also used herbs like rosemary, thyme, parsley. I took a shot of some and it made me burn all over!
I hunted for a recipe which included herbs and spices. Do you have one?

I know the following have natural antifungal, antiparsitic, antibacterial properties: black walnut hulls, wormwood, clove, raw pumpkin seeds, fennel, thyme, sage, goldenseal, oregano, water, salt, essential oils: cinnamon, lemongrass, thyme, peppermint, lavender, coriander; olive leaf extracts, vit C, onion, allspice, tarragon, cumin; capsicums, including chilies and other hot peppers; black and white pepper, ginger, anise seed, celery seed, and the juices of lemons and limes; cranberries, myrrh, turmeric, echinacea, licorice root, Pau d'arco, rosemary, basil, mint, anise, dandelion, honey, garlic.

So, I was curious about including these, or making an alternate tonic with some of them as an alternate to rotate. But, I wasn't sure about including them in the Master Tonic.

Pat

I have a blog.
#21 of 174 Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 PM

I LOVE my Master Tonic. I've been adding a teaspoon of it to a cup of bone broth daily. It is deliciously zesty and invigorating!

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 174 Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 PM

What fun. I am going to try to make it.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#23 of 174 Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM

WuWei...what did you use? Did you add any herbs? Sorry I did not respond earlier. We used some thing we had in the garden I think you could add whatever you'd like.

Everyone should have some!
#24 of 174 Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamama View Post
WuWei...what did you use? Did you add any herbs? Sorry I did not respond earlier. We used some thing we had in the garden I think you could add whatever you'd like.

Everyone should have some!
I just followed the recipe. I'm curious about making another tonic with other herbs though.

Pat

I have a blog.
#25 of 174 Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 174 Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM

Subbing

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#27 of 174 Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Subbing
me too

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#28 of 174 Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Does this tonic affect homeopathic remedies? What if your gut doesn't handle some of these warming ingredients well? Every time i eat too much (more than 1/4 teaspoon or so) raw garlic or ginger, I get ulcer kinds of stomach aches so master tonic seems like pain on top of pain to me!

Maybe I'm just chicken. bawk!
#29 of 174 Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Does this tonic affect homeopathic remedies? What if your gut doesn't handle some of these warming ingredients well? Every time i eat too much (more than 1/4 teaspoon or so) raw garlic or ginger, I get ulcer kinds of stomach aches so master tonic seems like pain on top of pain to me!

Maybe I'm just chicken. bawk!
yeah this is my problem too.... I make a garlic/onion/lemon mixture that kicks a colds but.... for my family. sometimes I add raw ACV... but it KILLS my stomach. I puke it and feel terrible after wards. I have a very very sensitive stomach.

so now I keep a frozen container of chicken stock in the freezer. when I get sick I heat it up on the stove and boil an onion with it. (garlic if i have it) I add sea salt and swig on it all day. it helps me a lot and actually calms my stomach instead of making me puke! I have been able to cut colds down tremendously this way.
...maybe some people just don't have the enzymes to break up the tougher foods? I wonder if this si just how we are, or if it's a nutritional defeciency?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#30 of 174 Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM

In Peru they use oil, salt, garlic and lemon juice. Works everytime!

+ = and .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page