Non-WAPF Resources on Traditional Foods - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AJP - your post reminded me of a book that's on my wishlist - Fat: An appreciation of a misunderstood ingredient, with recipes.

I'm not sure how much, if at all, the author distinguishes between factory-farmed fats and traditionally produced ones, but it does look like a great book. I've heard the author on the radio a couple of times and she sounds like someone I'd want as my next-door neighbour.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 70 Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
I agree with the 'whole foods seasonally' and traditional preservation methods as a basis for TF, but IMO, a huge part of what's been missing from conventional nutritionism is the extreme and irreplaceable value of animal foods, fat included, from properly-raised animals. A lot of the non-WAPF stuff out there that embraces whole, seasonal foods still expresses a fear of animal fat, with all kinds of little digs about avoiding "unhealthy" saturated fat (often ignoring facts like lard is 50% monounsaturated). For instance, I adore Michael Pollan's writing (I was a big fan long before Omnivore's Dilemma), but he still expresses uneasiness about saturated fats and usually appears to be writing from the assumption that the less, the better.

I have come to completely mistrust the conventional line that saturated fat and dietary cholesterol are harmful. For me, that is a non-negotiable aspect of TF. IMO, humans are what I think of as obligate omnivores, meaning not only that we are able to live healthfully eating a variety of animal and plant foods, but that we must eat a variety of animal and plant foods for long-term health, with very few exceptions. (I don't advocate factory-farmed animal foods in any way, I'm talking about humanely-raised animals eating a natural, species-appropriate diet.)

I think Full Moon Feast is one of the absolute best books about food I've ever read, in terms of enjoyment (it's lovely, poetic and inspiring) and in terms of accuracy.
this is so right on.....and I think it's such a selling point for eating TF. All that tasty stuff that you like (duh, I wonder why we like it?) is good for you! Who doesn't like butter or cheese?! or a good burger?!
I think (definitely in my case it is so) we have brainwashed ourselves because of all of the anti-sat-fat propaganda out there. Since I've gotten over my fear of eating red meat and tons of butter, etc, life is more fun and food is better!! wow, what a revelation! and that's what I try to convey to people thinking about changing their eating habits......
it tastes good, it makes you feel good AND it's healthy!!
(sounds like an ad)

as a sidenote: I really have made some tasty things from NT. Carob chews are very high on my list! banana bread, muffins, turkey sausage, rice....
well maybe I tweak other things a lot.....I tend to like it because I'm still so new and it gives me the basic guidelines....I still need to look up how to soak beans, etc....but overall it is a great book to have to sort of master the basics, like stock, buttermilk, fermented veggies, drinks, learning how to bake with soaking, etc.....
I can see how once you get that stuff down you would venture out and KNOW how to adjust correctly.

anyone made the duck confit from the book? I want to try it.
#63 of 70 Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
KerryAnn from CookingTF.com just published a book of the favorites from Vol 1 of her menu mailer. I can't wait to get my copy. I use her mailer often and have my personal family favorites too.

All her recipes are TNT traditional food recipes for REAL FAMILIES. and ....GF/CF on top of that.

I can't wait for her next book...it is going to be on cooking with children! :
I just looked at the preview and I want it , I want it. I need to put it on my to buy list for when we get our tax return.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#64 of 70 Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 AM

I'm new to TF and have to take it really slowly, because my DH, and kids have a very hard time with Coconut Oil etc., so I went back to "normal" cooking. Most of it is made from scratch that's how we grew up - home cooked meals, so this is normal for me to spend some time in the kitchen. The TF though takes more time, so I need to learn how to best do this. Only Kamut organic pasta - no white pasta, and a few more things that are processed.

Which cookbook - in print not online would be best?

1. NT I think I want to get. I borrowed it from a friend, and like it for the resource part of it. (Most recipes I can't make because of the whey. I keep Kosher - so no mixing, and in general Kosher raw milk - not to be found anywhere around, so some aspects of TF would not work for me, but I'll do what I can - fermenting, soaking, organic - when I could...)

2. Kerry Ann's Mailer

3. Real Food by Nina Planck

I would like to limit myself to 2-3 books for now

Should I get these 3, or only 2 of them, or are there other ones that are better?
Plant Poisons and Rotten Stuff - Failsafe Diet: What is this about? I have never done the GAPS...
But it seems that they knock TF? So much contradictory info.

What can best tell me what's good. Once I go online, I waist a lot of time, so I need a book or one specific website to read, not like now, that I go from lead to lead.

Sorry this ended up being so long.

Thanks so much!!
Ana

Mom to 4 Boys
#65 of 70 Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abemom2 View Post
I'm new to TF and have to take it really slowly, because my DH, and kids have a very hard time with Coconut Oil etc., so I went back to "normal" cooking. Most of it is made from scratch that's how we grew up - home cooked meals, so this is normal for me to spend some time in the kitchen. The TF though takes more time, so I need to learn how to best do this. Only Kamut organic pasta - no white pasta, and a few more things that are processed.

1. NT I think I want to get. I borrowed it from a friend, and like it for the resource part of it. (Most recipes I can't make because of the whey. I keep Kosher - so no mixing, and in general Kosher raw milk - not to be found anywhere around, so some aspects of TF would not work for me, but I'll do what I can - fermenting, soaking, organic - when I could...)

2. Kerry Ann's Mailer

Should I get these 3, or only 2 of them, or are there other ones that are better?
Plant Poisons and Rotten Stuff - Failsafe Diet: What is this about? I have never done the GAPS...

What can best tell me what's good. Once I go online, I waist a lot of time, so I need a book or one specific website to read, not like now, that I go from lead to lead.

Thanks so much!!
Ana
My vote would be the first two- NT and KA's mailer.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#66 of 70 Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abemom2 View Post

2. Kerry Ann's Mailer

Thanks so much!!
Ana
I love the menu mailer. So easy to follow, family-friendly and tasty. You could always do it with a bit less fat for starters. Check out the website and try the sample week to get an idea of what it's like. And I believe all the recipes are dairy free or dairy optional and pork is never a required ingredient.

I liked the NT book fine as well. It has lots of information but the recipes can be a bit complicated. I enjoyed Full Moon Feast a lot but not many recipes in there.
#67 of 70 Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Looks like a great thread. I just ran across Jerri Brunetti and food as medicine.
http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Nutriti.../dp/B000E42SMA

Pat

I have a blog.
#68 of 70 Old 06-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I just wanted to sub so that if i get sidetracked before finishing this thread I can come back to it and comment at the end.

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#69 of 70 Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Subbing to this thread

I love NT cookbook. When I first got it and tried the recipes they did bomb (I converted from veggie diet to cooking meats). So my meats were tough, chewy and pretty gross. But I have been getting better at cooking and experimenting baking for the kids and so the NT recipes have gotten better. The fermenting and stock making has also gotten better.

If anyone wants video tutorials on anything try SEARCHING YOUTUBE! That has been my greatest resource. I found a great delicious stock video part 1 and part 2. You can search for fermenting veggies, kefir, yogurt, tips on cooking liver, low carb recipes... Anything!

When you see how to cook something visually it will inspire you to recreate it. HTH

I am also digging the Feeding America. It is incredible how cookbooks have changed.
#70 of 70 Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 AM

I never had heard of WAP until I saw him here. I got into TF through Diet for a Small Planet, Nina Planck, my MAMA, and my Russian, French, and Persian mamas... I love my mom's fifties Betty Crocker cookbook, which really does have some good recipes. And I get a lot online at recipezaar etc. I know when they are using whole ingredients, so I can sort it out. Love the resources here, this should be a sticky!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page