substitute for potato chips? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH loves potato chips. He eats them for snacks, with his lunches, and, well, a lot. I buy the Kettle ones which are at least made with expeller pressed oils, but I'd really like to give him some alternative foods instead. Any suggestions? He's not real open to TF foods so somewhat healthier SAD foods would be acceptable. I was thinking about maybe trying some bagel chips as I know he likes those but I'm not sure if the white flour is preferable to all the nasty vegetable oils in the chips. (And I do NOT have the time or ambition to make homemade ones.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM

pita chips perhaps?

we still but potato chips tough i know they're bad. :
#3 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

How about an olive oil potato chip? I've seen those in the store.

Bagel chips/pita chips are still made with white flour, and from my taste-buds point of view aren't even close to the same thing. They have an entirely different purpose. And for my purposes, I'd rather have potato than white flour.

I'd probably wander the aisle of WF and see if I could find something that I would consider to be more acceptable. How do you feel about sunflower oil?

But, if this were an every day food for my DH, I'd consider making them myself on a weekly basis, using lard and/or CO while slowly trying to wean him off of them/introduce other options. But, my DH was open to those changes, which it sounds like yours may not be. I weaned him off many things this way.

As for other options, I'd be looking for something crunchy and salty... which brings to mind nuts, or possibly veggies with a dip, or even pork rinds (assuming you don't mind eating non-pastured meat).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 PM

My thoughts are that potato chips aren't that bad... lots better than tortilla chips or cheetos. My opinion is that they're better than bagel chips and pita chips as well.

It sounds like you're buying the ones made from okay oils, so I'd continue with that.

Another option would be salted popcorn, though, if it's the salt and crunch he's looking for.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#5 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yea, my hubby is a chip lover and ive now got him on Kettle chips from Whole Foods.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#6 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I'd try the bagel chips or pita chips but I may not be the best person to ask since I really don't like potato chips anyway.
#7 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM

My DH is resistant to change too.

I've been buying the same kind of chips you have. For bonus points I portion them out unto zip-top bags, so that he's not eating a whole huge bag at once. I tell him it's to keep them fresh longer.

I buy lots more popcorn and pork rinds than chips. He'll eat them when he runs out. Since I've been working on him for a few months, sometimes he even eats popcorn or pork rinds instead of the chips! Baby steps, baby steps.

Oh and pickles! They take care of the crunchy-salty craving too.
#8 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just an FYI, bagel chips are generally LOADED with sodium. have you ever had veggie chips? those are pretty delicious.

otherwise, why not make your own? just slice potatoes really thin and bake until crispy. and you can use other kinds of potatoes too. like purple, sweet potato,etc.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#9 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM

I should have specified that I meant homemade pita chips, perhaps with WW sourdough pita?

Last time I made them, I just cut the pita into chips, brushed them with EVOO and baked until crispy. However, this may not be what you're looking for.
#10 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM

We make our own chips using real lard. A food processor with a slicer makes a fast job of slicing.
Our favorite is sweet potatos fried in lard, and sprinkled with sea salt and black pepper.
They are so good, that the Kettle Brand does not taste very good in comparison
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#11 of 13 Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Paula,

Those sound so yummy, I think I might make it a weekend to-do. I haven't had chips in so, so long. :

Do you have a deep fryer or do you do this on the stove. The stove is my only option, actually if I mention this to my hubby I'm sure he'd run right out and buy a Fry Daddy or something What temp do you use?

Thanks,

missa
#12 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

We have a deep fat fryer but I'm not sure I could convince him to try making chips that way. I could give it a shot. He's not interested in pork rinds or popcorn. I could try baked pita chips if I could find a halfway decent storebought pita bread. He eats storebought bread anyway so they wouldn't be any worse than that. And he does eat tortilla chips, too, I just got some organic ones. My big concern with the Kettle chips is that potato chips have some sort of carcinogen (can't remember what it's called) and the Kettle chips were the highest of any potato chips tested in that carcinogen
#13 of 13 Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM

there is a company that makes chips fried in tallow! US wellness meats maybe?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page