how often should an 8 week old poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know they say "every 7-10 days is normal", but I don't think it is, and I know a lot of the moms here don't, either. DD pooped at least 3 times a day until she was over two, but I think DS is only going once or twice a day now that he's past the newborn little-bit-of-poop-in-every-diaper stage.
#2 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM

I remember that my youngest ds suddenly seemed to stop pooping when he was around 8 weeks old. He was only going about once every three days. I posted about it in a few places and people told me that it's normal at that age--I'm not sure why though. He started pooping again every day after about a month.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#3 of 10 Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM

My daughter, once she reached about 2 months in age, only pooped about once a week. This continued until she started solid food at around one year old. Once she was eating food she evened out to once a day, and it has been that way ever since (she is five).

I was the same way, only pooping about once a week as an infant until solids were introduced.

I really do believe this was her normal cycle. She has shown no sensitivities to foods once she started solids, and I highly doubt it was something in my breast milk that was causing her to poop only once a week. She has never been constipated, and even when she was on her "once a week" cycle she never strained or pushed hard when trying to poop, never had those rock hard stools that can cause pain and bleeding. She has never tried to retain her stool ( I have seen kids that try to "hold it"), she just went when she was ready. She just had normal stools once a week, and not as much as you would think after not going for a whole week. My midwife said she probably just absorbed the nutrients extremely well and didn't have that much in the way of "leftovers" to push out.

The only time she ever really pooped "off schedule" was when we went up in an airplane. Then, no matter what day it was, she would go right about when we reached cruising elevation. This happened about 6 times. Weird!

I think that children's bodies all work differently. It is normal for some babies to poop all the time, but it is also fine that some wait. I personally was grateful for her poop schedule: it made cloth diapering a breeze!
#4 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 12:39 AM

My dd was exclusively breast fed and pooped every 3 weeks, like clockwork for the first 2-3 months. I was concerned, but the lactation consultant said not to worry. She was not constipated. It was a very soft bm; however, there was a lot!! It pretty much guaranteed a complete change of clothes and whatever she was lying on. But it became more regular after 3 months. I think as long as she doesn't have symptoms of constipation and she's happy and growing, there's nothing to worry about.
#5 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My babies always pooped 1-3X a day as infants, with the exception of the time right after DS started solids when he didn't poop for 2 or 3 days and his bio dad completely panicked and freaked out even though I told him repeatedly that it was normal.

I have heard that 7-10 days can be normal for some babies, but then I read that infrequent pooping can be a subtle sign of food intolerances in mama's diet. So I'm really not sure if it's "within the range of normal" or "a small clue that you need to change something."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 02:56 PM

My DD1 pooped *often* - 5 or 6 times a day until her gut closed. I started TF while I was pregnant with her but before that my diet wasn't horribly bad.

DD2 seems to poop every other day, and it doesn't seem right. She strains some every day but nothing comes. I noticed that she poops more often when I stay off dairy. I'm slowly planning my move to CFGF and rice free. If I keep cutting out foods, I'm gonna run out of food to eat. *sigh*

I *think* she poops more oftne when Im good and remember to give her the probiotic regularly. Mama brain has been hitting me hard so I rarely remember...
#7 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
My DD1 pooped *often* - 5 or 6 times a day until her gut closed. I started TF while I was pregnant with her but before that my diet wasn't horribly bad.

DD2 seems to poop every other day, and it doesn't seem right. She strains some every day but nothing comes. I noticed that she poops more often when I stay off dairy. I'm slowly planning my move to CFGF and rice free. If I keep cutting out foods, I'm gonna run out of food to eat. *sigh*

I *think* she poops more oftne when Im good and remember to give her the probiotic regularly. Mama brain has been hitting me hard so I rarely remember...

what does "when her gut closed" mean? are babies guts open until a certain point?

my baby poops once every 24 hours and it is super soft, organe-ish and massive, like leaking out of her diaper massive. shes 8 weeks old
#8 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Your family sounds a lot like mine! I did a lot of washing of wool covers (trifolded prefolds don't hold any poop in very well!) with DD until she finally mostly potty trained. And I really wish I could just pop a vitamin pill or something instead of eating...I'm doing the Failsafe elimination diet without nuts or gluten, I just cut out eggs, and if DS' reflux doesn't go away I'll have to trying dropping butter, too Oh and I can't do rice at all, either.

Quote:

#9 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
what does "when her gut closed" mean? are babies guts open until a certain point?
I'll just quote, I'm not very good at paraphrasing with severe mommy brain:

Quote:
Delaying solids decreases the risk of food allergies.
It is well documented that prolonged exclusive breastfeeding results in a lower incidence of food allergies (see Allergy References and Risks of Artificial Feeding). From birth until somewhere between four and six months of age, babies possess what is often referred to as an "open gut." http://www.kellymom.com/images/charts/opengut.gifThis means that the spaces between the cells of the small intestines will readily allow intact macromolecules, including whole proteins and pathogens, to pass directly into the bloodstream.This is great for your breastfed baby as it allows beneficial antibodies in breastmilk to pass more directly into baby's bloodstream, but it also means that large proteins from other foods (which may predispose baby to allergies) and disease-causing pathogens can pass right through, too. During baby's first 4-6 months, while the gut is still "open," antibodies (sIgA) from breastmilk coat baby's digestive tract and provide passive immunity, reducing the likelihood of illness and allergic reactions before gut closure occurs. Baby starts producing these antibodies on his own at around 6 months, and gut closure should have occurred by this time also. See How Breast Milk Protects Newborns and The Case for the Virgin Gut for more on this subject.
from

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Your family sounds a lot like mine! I did a lot of washing of wool covers (trifolded prefolds don't hold any poop in very well!) with DD until she finally mostly potty trained. And I really wish I could just pop a vitamin pill or something instead of eating...I'm doing the Failsafe elimination diet without nuts or gluten, I just cut out eggs, and if DS' reflux doesn't go away I'll have to trying dropping butter, too Oh and I can't do rice at all, either.
I wonder if it's eggs and not dairy.. Hrm. I need to test this out, I suppose - trial and error and all that.

I keep thinking how I don't want to eat either, how I'd rather take a pill. Lack of appetite and worry about food is driving me crazy. One food that worked well and boosted my supply was meatloaf. I made it with buckwheat flour and it was pretty good. But you need at least one egg for meatloaf..

I hope you find your answers soon. I know you've been looking for a while.
#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wonder if it's eggs and not dairy.. Hrm. I need to test this out, I suppose - trial and error and all that.

I keep thinking how I don't want to eat either, how I'd rather take a pill. Lack of appetite and worry about food is driving me crazy. One food that worked well and boosted my supply was meatloaf. I made it with buckwheat flour and it was pretty good. But you need at least one egg for meatloaf..
I'm just slowly eliminating everything that might be a cause and then I'll add them back in one at a time. I just really don't want to eliminate butter (eggs either for that matter) so I'm holding out on that one hoping it's something else.

You can make a meatloaf without eggs. I actually make mine with just meat, spices, and chopped onion & celery and it holds together fine. It just isn't as light (if that makes sense) as traditional meatloaf.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page