Walmart Lard?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if the lard found at super walmart is any good? I don't know the name but it comes in a green and white packaging.

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM

No! It's been hydrogenated and is full of transfats. Too bad since of course it's the easiest type to get a hold of. You want to get a hold of leaf lard from a reputable farmer (or I get it from www.thunderinghooves.net) and render it down. Just put it in a crock pot or dutch oven and cook it down until you aren't getting any more liquid. Strain the liquid into jars. It's really easy and makes everything taste so yummy :

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-16-2009, 12:20 AM

It is Armour brand and I have been using it because that is what is available to me at the moment.
dogmom- Thanks for the link and the rendering instructions
I try to use it sparingly. I save drippings from my nitrite free bacon and use it whenever I have enough. I use coconut oil alot as well. I have a dairy allergic DD, so I can't cook with real butter. I have to add that later.

So, my question would be if that is the only option to me at the moment, am I better off using vegetable oil until I can get my hands on good lard? Money and living off grid are my hurdles.

I hope this furthers the OPs question.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Oh no! Don't use the Armor brand! They use hydrogenated oils to keep it shelf stable. I'd use something else until you can get the real stuff.
Ingredients: Lard and Hydrogenated Lard, Bha, Propyl Gallate and Citric Acid Added to Protect Flavor.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 AM

Kinda off topic.. but my dairy allergic DD can drink raw milk. I am trying to find raw butter to use and see if that is OK.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM

It is possible to get non-hydrogenated lard at a grocery store, at least where I live. The store brand lard, as well as Tenderleaf brand, used to list hydrogenated lard on the box but now it says "non-hydrogenated."

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Old 02-16-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
It is possible to get non-hydrogenated lard at a grocery store, at least where I live. The store brand lard, as well as Tenderleaf brand, used to list hydrogenated lard on the box but now it says "non-hydrogenated."
The Armour brand and the Manteca are the only I have found. I have limited choices in stores.
I have been using lard because it is cheaper than EVO and I save the EVO for recipes that specifically call for it. I'm on a $238 monthly budget for groceries. Would it be better just to use coconut oil in place of this? I have the Louana brand right now, but will probably get my hands on some Spectrum this week.

I hope this isn't taking over the thread but furthering the discussion about using lard on the cheap, and when the health food stores aren't available to you.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Since lard is so concentrated, I think I would use something else rather than using cheap lard from feed lot animals.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 PM

Is Manteca a brand? Manteca is lard in Spanish. I wasn't aware it was a brand.

I know this cause I grew up in Manteca and was always teased about living in lard town.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Is Manteca a brand? Manteca is lard in Spanish. I wasn't aware it was a brand.

I know this cause I grew up in Manteca and was always teased about living in lard town.
I'm sorry that I originally posted that yes the brand was Manteca, but it isn't... It is Field. Manteca is printed as large as the brand on the other side.

Also, it doesn't say hydrogenated lard like the Armour brand does. It just says lard. Does that make it better than Armour. The Field lard is a Kentucky Proud product. It does have BHT and BHA added, but that is all. I know that's not great, but possibly better than hydrogenated.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
No! It's been hydrogenated and is full of transfats. Too bad since of course it's the easiest type to get a hold of. You want to get a hold of leaf lard from a reputable farmer (or I get it from www.thunderinghooves.net) and render it down. Just put it in a crock pot or dutch oven and cook it down until you aren't getting any more liquid. Strain the liquid into jars. It's really easy and makes everything taste so yummy :
I'm not sure I understand your rendering instructions. Can you step-by-step for a newbie? Thanks!

signature currently in transition
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM

if you can afford it, yes, it would be much much better to use coconut oil than hydrogenated lard. Hydrogenating lard makes it rather bad for you just like most vegetable oils.

If I were you, I would make sure I have real butter in my diet, and the rest of the time use olive oil (if your sure its pure. apparently its often actually adulterated with rancid nut oils I use it anyways, but I worry about it), coconut oil, red palm oil (I beleive spectrum shortening is red palm oil?), and as much butter, and unhydrogentated lard (which I can't eat but would if I could), tallow, schmaltz, and every single drop of fatty drippings from fatty meat as I could afford.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 02-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Kinda off topic.. but my dairy allergic DD can drink raw milk. I am trying to find raw butter to use and see if that is OK.
Still OT, but I wanted to chime in that I have a horrible dairy intolerance for anything not cultured (commercial yogurt and kefir are ok, and hard cheese, but anything like milk, ice cream, whipped cream, etc makes me so ill) and since we have gotten raw milk from our cowshare I can drink a big old glass of milk whenever I want! It's wonderful. So, I do totally agree with raw milk being worth a shot for dairy issues.

Lard, we get ours from a local farmer and render it.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
I'm not sure I understand your rendering instructions. Can you step-by-step for a newbie? Thanks!
I put 4-5 pounds of leaf lard in my crock pot (it's a 6 qt. I believe) with some water (to keep it from burning), turn it on and let it run for most of the day. You could also use a cast iron dutch oven in your stove set to maybe 250 degrees. After a few hours I start to watch it and once it doesn't look like any more liquid is developing (it basically looks like the solid pieces of lard are melting), I turn it off and let it cool for a few minutes. Then I remove any bigger solid chunks that are left and then strain the remainder into canning jars. I find the pint size or half-pint are easiest to work with when you are trying to get the last bit of lard out of the bottom and trying to clean the jars when they are empty. I then put new canning lids on each one and the heat seals them. Personally I keep the jars on the shelf until they are open and then in the fridge.

To answer the other question...I'd definitely use coconut oil rather than hydrogenated lard. Between the concentrated toxins and the processing, it's pretty darn bad for you whereas at least coconut oil is good for you and your body will recognize it as a food.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 PM

where do you find schmaltz? that's chicken fat, right? i haven't ever seen it anywhere, but admittedly i haven't really looked. on the occasions that i actually get a local free range chicken, the amount of fat that is in the stock seems to be so minimal as to not be worth the effort to try and skim it off.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

User Tag List