Fermented fish recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're starting the GAPS diet on Monday, but I am using the website as a source instead of the book (can't afford it right now, and the library doesn't have it). Anyway, I'm looking for a/the recipe for fermented fish - does anyone have this recipe from the book? Or perhaps another one that I could substitute?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 AM
kl5

Thai plaa som is amazing, but it is stuffed with sticky rice to ferment, so I am not sure of its compatibility with GAPS. But I think the method would probably work well without the rice if need be. I had this at a special off-menu dinner a friend set up at a local Thai restaurant and it changed my life (this is before I knew anything about TF). :
#3 of 6 Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kristin - it has a few ingredients taht won't work, so I may X-post in the Healing forum. Someone has to have this book...
#4 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 04:54 AM

Hi Shanna,
We are on GAPs, and here's the fermented fish recipe:

For a one-litre jar you need 3-4 fresh herrings or mackerel. Skin the fish and remove the bones, cut into mouth size pieces. Put the pieces of the fish into the jar mixing with peppercorns, a few slices of white onion (optional), coriander seeds, bay leaves and dill seeds or dill herb. In a separate jug in 1/2 litre of water dissolve 1 tablespoon of sea salt and 3-4 tablespoons of whey. Pour this brine into the jar with the fish until the fish is completely covered; if the fish is not covered just add more water. Close the jar tightly and leave to ferment for 3-5 days at a room temperature, then store in the fridge.

Alternate method:
Buy some fresh sardines (also works for herring and mackerel), de-scale the fish, cut the heads off and clean the belly out. Put into a suitable size glass jar or a stainless steel pan. Add 1-2 cups of whey, 1-2 tablespoons of salt (per 1 litre), a teaspoon of black pepper corns (freshly crushed), 10 bay leaves and ½ a teaspoon of coriander seeds (freshly crushed). Top up with water so the fish is completely covered with water, you may want to float a small plate on top of the fish to keep it submerged in the brine. Cover the pan or put the lead on the jar and let it ferment for 3-5 days at a room temperature. When the fish is ready take the meat off the bones, cut into bite-size pieces and serve with fresh dill and some chopped red onion.
#5 of 6 Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, God bless you!!!!!!!
#6 of 6 Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 AM

Hi,

Can we cook the fermented fish.

Thanks,

Vimalaa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page