question about trying coconut oil again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I just wanted everyones opinion on whether I should try coconut oil again. When I was nursing ds I ate about 2-3 tbsp a day. Then I got pregnant with dd and couldn't even smell coconut oil.
In the second trimester I tried coconut oil a couple of times and both times felt really awful right after. I thought maybe dd could be allergic.
Well now that I am nursing dd I am wondering if I should try it again because I am looking to get the lauric acid. I am just not sure if it is a good idea since I had such a bad reaction when I was pregnant.
What do you think?
#2 of 3 Old 03-01-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

bumping in case anyone has an opinion.
#3 of 3 Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight mom View Post
bumping in case anyone has an opinion.
very interesting! what kind of reaction did she have and how old is she now?

Depending on her age, I would try and tad bit and see what happens. then I would be sure to have one of those melting tabs of benedryl on hand right away (they are petty fast acting - we keep them incase my son accidentally gets something with milk in it so his throat doesn't start swelling)

likely though if your eating it and your daughter is BFing, you wont notice a severe reaction. you might notice a upset tummy or the like. But I think in general with possible allergies moderation is best. sometimes we don't see an allergy clearly right away. it can take time. so even if she doesn't have a reaction the first time I wouldn't just jump into eating it every day until I had kinda weaned into using it if that makes sense.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page