kombucha vs water kefir... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know the difference... meaning, in benefits on the body etc...

I've been making raw milk kefir and just got my hands on some water kefir grains and have made 2 batches so far... I'm curious what the benefits of kombucha are vs water kefir. I've purchased the bottled synergy kombucha but am afraid of trying to make it as it doesn't seem quite as easy as kefir and I live in a tiny apt with a baby and just can't keep up with so many science experiments. Part of me wants to try it and another part is saying ARE YOU CRAZY??? YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TIME TO SHOWER lol...

So anyone with any knowledge on this topic please chime in... I did a search on the internet and came up with nothing. I was hoping to find some info on Doms site but didn't come across any sort of comparison.

TIA:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Both kefir and kombucha provide a mixture of yeast and bacteria but kefir's main contribution is probiotics (recolonizes the digestive tract with good bacteria so it's even more effective than yogurt) while kombucha is mainly providing beneficial yeast and lots of vitamins (b-vitamins in particular). Ideally you would drink both but I understand the time factor

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kombucha is also pretty strong at mobilizing toxins, which can be good or bad depending on your situation. I don't think trade-off is worth it for nursing (or pregnant) moms, and I think folks who have chronic health problems that they're not sure of the root cause should be very cautious in starting, do it very slowly and very gradually. But for people who don't fall into those two categories, I think it provides some long-term benefits beyond the nutrition/gut ones that dogmom mentioned. I'm considering trying some later this year with this outcome in mind.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

yeah... no major problems over here. I would never try any sort of major detox while nursing. I'm just interested in the overall health benefits.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 AM

I have two kiddos, and have water kefir, kombucha, sourdough, and want to start milk kefir soon, they dont require much time, I started my kombucha from a raw bottle from the health food store, and grew my own scoby it takes about a month give or take the enviroment, but I think it is very do-able! (and you know where it came from)

User Tag List