Share your favorite water kefir recipes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really like to do half water and half apple/pommagranate-cherry juice. The grains seem pretty happy in it, you know, floating, bubbling, making lots of pressure I also really like sucanat with fresh ginger. That's the only way I like sucanat right now. I'm kind of lazy so I haven't gotten around to squeezing lemons yet but the lemonade sounds really good. I got some apple cider on a good sale so they're brewing happily in that right now.

I have about 1 TBS of grains right now because I've given so many away and have no problem fermenting my water/juice in 24 hours. Any longer and it's usually getting a little too beer-like to serve to the 2 yo, not that he complains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel J. View Post
I also really like sucanat with fresh ginger. That's the only way I like sucanat right now.
Do you put the ginger in while it's brewing are after removing the grains?

Is it grated? Chunks? Juice?

Do you know if ginger is one of those things that is actually hard on grains? Or healthy for the grains?

Sounds yummy! :
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peek-a-boo View Post
Do you put the ginger in while it's brewing are after removing the grains?

Is it grated? Chunks? Juice?

Do you know if ginger is one of those things that is actually hard on grains? Or healthy for the grains?

Sounds yummy! :
Water kefir grains love fresh ginger juice (not the bottled stuff with preservatives). It's one of the things Dom's kefir site recommends for healthy grains.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Water kefir grains love fresh ginger juice (not the bottled stuff with preservatives). It's one of the things Dom's kefir site recommends for healthy grains.

So what's the best way to get fresh ginger juice? If I grate it and sort of squeeze the drops out, is that best? Or just stick bits of grated ginger in the brewing liquid?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 PM

I suppose running it through a juicer would be best, eh?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
So what's the best way to get fresh ginger juice? If I grate it and sort of squeeze the drops out, is that best? Or just stick bits of grated ginger in the brewing liquid?
I'd juice it. The bits would be a pain to pick out later.

Quote:
I suppose running it through a juicer would be best, eh?
As someone who doesn't own a juicer and does it by hand...a juicer would be much much easier. Less sore hands that way (I grate it, then put it in cheesecloth and squeeze).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 PM

Hmmm, now just have to remember where in the bowels of my garage my juicer is located and how to operate it.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM

(moved my question to different thread)
Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM

Has anyone ever tried MINT in water kefir?? I just ordered my first set of water kefir grains, and can't wait to get started using them. I was sipping on some mint tea and thought....mmmmm, mint water kefir might be yummy and refreshing. Is mint okay to use??

Valerie
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesp1212 View Post
Has anyone ever tried MINT in water kefir?? I just ordered my first set of water kefir grains, and can't wait to get started using them. I was sipping on some mint tea and thought....mmmmm, mint water kefir might be yummy and refreshing. Is mint okay to use??

Valerie
Sure. I would put it in as the second ferment (after you remove the kefir grains, put the mint in there and let it sit, capped, for a few days). I know I tried mint at some point but it was at least several years ago. I think it tasted okay (I don't remember it being horrible ). I'm just not a big mint fan in general so that's probably why it didn't become part of my regular rotation.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM

Good timing for reviving this thread... I keep meaning to revive some of my dried grains (I stopped for a while because we were having issues with sugar here). Last time I tried to revive them, I put them in some fresh sugar water every day for a few days- and they just got funky. So I threw them away. Any tips for successfully reviving dried grains?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Good timing for reviving this thread... I keep meaning to revive some of my dried grains (I stopped for a while because we were having issues with sugar here). Last time I tried to revive them, I put them in some fresh sugar water every day for a few days- and they just got funky. So I threw them away. Any tips for successfully reviving dried grains?
If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you instructions.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yes, so glad to see this thread.

Issues with sugar? So if we are allergic (which we are) to sugar, and to lemon, can I get away with never using them?

Does anyone know why I am reading about adding a calcium tablet or egg shell to water kefir? And is it necessary?

And I got some apple cider but it says it has potasium sorbate as a preservative. Is this cider still ok to use?

And can someone go into detail with this ginger water kefir?

(can you tell I am new to this?)

What temperature do I make kefir at?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM

Anyone try this dandelion recipe from here
http://www.weim.net/homeovet/Docs/water%20kefir.pdf

Quote:
Dandelion Kefir
Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) activates liver and kidney cellular metabolism, which favors bile and urine production. It is a herb that can help several conditions due to its properties and can be taken in different ways (check it out in any herbs book), but I’ll point out that it is used in the so-called “Depurative Cures” that last from 4 to 6 weeks, and are usually done in Fall and Spring.
For this recipe, mainly Dandelion Flowers are used. It is optional to add other parts of the plant if more active principles are sought.
Ingredients:
• 1 handful fresh Dandelion flowers – ½ of dry flowers
• 1-2 Ginger root slices
• 1 liter Spring or Mineral Water
• 1 tbs. Honey
• 3 tbs. Water Kefir Grains – might want to use the pouch method
• 1 piece Licorice Root
Put all the ingredients in the glass container, cover with lid and let it ferment in a dark place for 24 hours. Strain and it’s ready to drink.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
That pdf document is one of my favorites! I love their basic lemon and date recipe -- and my grains are thriving with it better than just plain sugar.

I was intrigued by the dandelion recipe, too. That seems right up your alley -- are you going to try it, come summer?

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

Old 01-09-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, so glad to see this thread.

Issues with sugar? So if we are allergic (which we are) to sugar, and to lemon, can I get away with never using them?

Does anyone know why I am reading about adding a calcium tablet or egg shell to water kefir? And is it necessary?

And I got some apple cider but it says it has potasium sorbate as a preservative. Is this cider still ok to use?

And can someone go into detail with this ginger water kefir?

(can you tell I am new to this?)

What temperature do I make kefir at?
You could use honey instead of sugar. Normally I recommend against honey because it's antibacterial in nature and is hard on the kefir grains (which are bacteria and yeast living in a symbiotic relationship) but if using sugar simply isn't an option for you, then I'd use honey and just plan on periodically replacing your kefir grains (maybe every few months? but maybe less often). Lemon isn't necessary. It's common to put a little in when rehyrdrating kefir grains but it isn't required.

As far as I know, Dom's kefir site is the only one out there that recommends egg shell. I think if you do it exactly as he described, it's probably fine but I've had more than a few people report problems such as slimy grains after trying it. For what it's worth, I never use egg shells and my grains grow like crazy.

I would try to find an apple juice that doesn't have preservatives but it's probably fine. (I'm editing this part...I completely misread your question and thought you were asking about ACV...sorry about that...I'm not a morning person )

I don't personally like ginger so I don't make ginger kefir but the basic idea is to add some fresh (not bottled!) ginger juice into the kefir. The exact amount is generally a matter of taste but I've heard 3 tablespoons per two quarts of water kefir. You can do this while the grains are working (just make sure no pieces of ginger actually end up in there--it's a pain to fish them out of the grains later). To make fresh ginger juice, you can use a juicing machine or grate the ginger finely and squeeze it with cheese cloth. Someone else may have a better recipe.

Water kefir does best at room temperature (around 68-70 degrees). At that temperature, you can let the grains work for 24-48 hours (but never longer than 72 hours and don't make a habit of a 72 hour culturing period as it's hard on the grains). If your home is significantly colder, the kefir will simply take more time to develop as cold retards the process. If your home is significantly warmer, the kefir will be completed in a shorter time period. Extreme heat can kill kefir grains.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
That look fantastic!! I'll have to remember to come back to this when the millions of dandelions in my yard bloom.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM

I've just tried the basic recipe with raisins and lemon, and once with dried apples (which wasn't as good, but I didn't leave it out as long).
Do you worry about picking out little pieces of raisins, lemon etc, or just do your best?

Looking forward to trying a few other recipes
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 AM

Highjack - Kefir grains are supposed to be very old but cane sugar didn't exist then right? So what did older cultures use to feed the kefir?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I'm sorry, I completely missed your question. You need approximately 3 tablespoons of water kefir grains to culture 2 quarts of kefir (some people say up to 3 qt.). If your grains are multiplying, you can pull out 3 T. and either start a second container brewing or share them with someone. I have heard of people feeding extra grains to goats too (know someone who does this).
I just got sme kefir grains and they multiplied quickly and I have lots of babies. I think I have at least a cup of grains. Is there any reason I couldn't just use the grains and add extra sugar and water? Or is there some reason to only do one quart at a time?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 AM

BUMPing this great thread back up!
Old 04-03-2010, 01:08 PM

subbing.

Wanted to add that I have eaten my extra SKG and have added them to smoothies. Even so, I have more than I can use now. Can you freeze extra grains?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:00 PM

The grains I got were frozen. I'm not exactly sure how to do it, though.
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 AM

i have a question. i want to try a new recipe with pineapple (i'm trying to figure out recipes that my dh and kids can enjoy more). i know i need to add the pineapple after i remove the grains (at 24 hours) and then let it ferment with the fruit for another 24 hours. correct?? if yes, my question is, do i still use the same amount of organic sugar to start with & do i still need molasses? i hope this makes sense!

TIA

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

User Tag List