Share your favorite water kefir recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title says it all

I've only made 2 batches... one with just sugar, a fig, some molasses and water and the second I made the ginger beer from Doms site.

What's your favorite water kefir recipe??

(if it matters any I have the SKG or water grains... not converted milk kefir grains)
#2 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM

I add 1/2 cup lemon juice to 2 qt. finished water kefir (grains removed first). Makes a very tasty lemonade.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I add 1/2 cup lemon juice to 2 qt. finished water kefir (grains removed first). Makes a very tasty lemonade.
oooh... I love lemonade. Do you just use sugar and the grains for the basic water kefir or do you add fig and molasses? (I'm new to this )
#4 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM

I brew mine like dogmom--1/2c. sugar/2qt. water for 48 hours, and then I strain and add a little pomegranate-blueberry juice and a splash of lemon juice. SO good.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#5 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovemercy View Post
I brew mine like dogmom--1/2c. sugar/2qt. water for 48 hours, and then I strain and add a little pomegranate-blueberry juice and a splash of lemon juice. SO good.
so just sugar and water... do you use a special kind of sugar like rapadura or sucanat or just white sugar? Do you do a second ferment or just add the juice and drink?

Thanks so much for the tips :
#6 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah View Post
so just sugar and water... do you use a special kind of sugar like rapadura or sucanat or just white sugar? Do you do a second ferment or just add the juice and drink?

Thanks so much for the tips :
I use white sugar to make lemonade kefir. I just don't like the molasses taste personally : although of course whole sugars are better for you and molasses is good for the grains.

The pomegranate-blueberry idea sounds fantastic! I'll have to try that one.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I use white sugar to make lemonade kefir.
Is using non-organic white sugar okay for the grains? 'Cause it would be cheaper than the evaporated cane juice I'm using atm.

Can one use molasses in place of or in addition to the sugar? Weirdly, I love molasses!
#8 of 55 Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peek-a-boo View Post
Is using non-organic white sugar okay for the grains? 'Cause it would be cheaper than the evaporated cane juice I'm using atm.

Can one use molasses in place of or in addition to the sugar? Weirdly, I love molasses!
It's been a long time since I've used non-organic sugar so I can't be sure but my first thought is that the grains won't so well being exposed to chlorine and for some reason I'm thinking chlorine is involved with non-organic sugar--but I could be wrong. If you have a Costco around, I get the evaporated cane crystals for $7.99 for 10#.

You can use it in addition to the sugar. A teaspoon or so of molasses to 1/2 cup white sugar (or instead of that combo use a whole sugar like rapadura) will make for very happy water kefir grains.

#9 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Sorry to once again be shamelessly hijacking some one else's water kefir thread. : I'm so needy.

I'm using Wholesome Sweetners Evaporated Cane Juice Organic Sugar. Some how I thought that was basically the same as Rapadura--but just a different brand name. Is that wrong? Is Rapadura something different?
#10 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry to once again be shamelessly hijacking some one else's water kefir thread. : I'm so needy.

I'm using Wholesome Sweetners Evaporated Cane Juice Organic Sugar. Some how I thought that was basically the same as Rapadura--but just a different brand name. Is that wrong? Is Rapadura something different?

Rapadura and succant are the two that are essentially the same (they're both brown in color). They are less processed and include the molasses. The evaporated cane juice organic sugar is essentially the organic version of white sugar (that's the brand I get at Costco for the good price).

ETA: Just saw that you're in my general geographic area. Check out Azure Standard too. They have good sugar prices (but not quite as good as Costco).

#11 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Im going to watch this thread as I am REALLY interested in trying water kefir lemonade as i am a HUGE lemonade fanatic.

It seems to me that if I can marry beneficial bacteria AND the lovely lemonade taste together, I will be in HEAVEN.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#12 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 01:19 AM

I made the lemonade recipe that dogmom posted and it is yummy!
#13 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM

My favorite so far is using maple syrup - 1/4 per quart of water - but I'm only making it once a week because maple syrup is so spendy.

I also like honey - same ratios as above - but again, not frequently since, I've been told, it weakens the grains.

With sugar water kefir (I use the evaporated cane juice) I've been putting some blueberries in after straining for a second ferment. It's fun to watch - kind of like a lava lamp, the blueberries float up and down all day. I like lemon or lime too.

I DO NOT like using Rapadura! Blech, it reminds me of stout beer.

I've only tried apple for juices, but I don't like that. I guess it must be really easy to go too far with it, because I end up with what tastes like a mixture of apple juice and rubbing alcohol, no matter how short I let it ferment.

I've also been disappointed by coconut water kefir. I was really looking forward to that, but it just tastes funky to me.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#14 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I made the lemonade recipe that dogmom posted and it is yummy!
oh yea? Alright, i think I will try this.

#15 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hijack away... your questions help me out too... I'm a water kefir newb

So, am I understanding right that most people add their "flavor" AFTER the first ferment? So you are basically fermenting for about 24 hours with just the sugar water and grains... then after that you drain and then you ferment for I guess another 24 hours with lemon juice, blueberries or maple syrup etc???
#16 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM

Well the maple syrup/honey would be used instead of sugar, so that would be part of the first brew. But yeah, flavors are added after the grains are removed, for the second brew. I've never tried maple syrup (yum!), but I love brewing with honey- it's delicious. But keep some backup grains, because your grains won't grow in the honey, and I'm told that they will eventually die. I use sucanat when I want to really grow my grains, but like a pp, I don't really care for the taste of it.

I brew until the kefir is almost done (24-48 hours, depending on the warmth of my house and the sweetener I use) and then I throw some frozen blueberries into my bottles and pour the strained kefir into the bottles. I let those sit in a warm place for about 12 hours for my second ferment, otherwise they get too sour.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#17 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well the maple syrup/honey would be used instead of sugar, so that would be part of the first brew. But yeah, flavors are added after the grains are removed, for the second brew. I've never tried maple syrup (yum!), but I love brewing with honey- it's delicious. But keep some backup grains, because your grains won't grow in the honey, and I'm told that they will eventually die. I use sucanat when I want to really grow my grains, but like a pp, I don't really care for the taste of it.

I brew until the kefir is almost done (24-48 hours, depending on the warmth of my house and the sweetener I use) and then I throw some frozen blueberries into my bottles and pour the strained kefir into the bottles. I let those sit in a warm place for about 12 hours for my second ferment, otherwise they get too sour.
Do you eat the blueberries after or do you just toss them?

Also... what do you all do with ALL of the grains. I didn't measure what was sent to me but in only 3 days I feel like they are taking over. With my milk grains I just eat them but not sure what to do with these. I can give some out but what do you all do when you've just got a ton? Do you just toss them can you eat them??? I just thought of another question and then forgot what it was.... oh yeah... how do you know how many grains to use and how do you know when it's time to cut back. I'm up to my ears in teething baby (which means I'm lazy and have no time to fish after skg grains LOL) so I just tossed my grains in a nylon nut-milk bag and just toss that in the water.
#18 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Ok, i have a quick little question. Is water kefir really fuzzy/carbonated? I keep seeing it be compared to soda and i wonder just how strong the fuzz is.

I haven't had soda in years and so im not sure how ima react to that mouth-feel again and if I can, i'd much rather avoid it.

#19 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Ok, i have a quick little question. Is water kefir really fuzzy/carbonated? I keep seeing it be compared to soda and i wonder just how strong the fuzz is.

I haven't had soda in years and so im not sure how ima react to that mouth-feel again and if I can, i'd much rather avoid it.
It depends on the batch, whether you ferment it a second time and what kind of sugar (or juice) you use.

White sugar yields the least fizzy WK. If you want more fizz, you can add some juice after the grains are removed and let it ferment for another day or so. Adding molasses or using whole sugars (such as rapadura) yields more fizz. You can get the most fizz by culturing in juice instead of sugar water.

#20 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It depends on the batch, whether you ferment it a second time and what kind of sugar (or juice) you use.

White sugar yields the least fizzy WK. If you want more fizz, you can add some juice after the grains are removed and let it ferment for another day or so. Adding molasses or using whole sugars (such as rapadura) yields more fizz. You can get the most fizz by culturing in juice instead of sugar water.
Aaah ok, good to know :

Thank you dogmom327!

#21 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Also... what do you all do with ALL of the grains. I didn't measure what was sent to me but in only 3 days I feel like they are taking over. With my milk grains I just eat them but not sure what to do with these. I can give some out but what do you all do when you've just got a ton? Do you just toss them can you eat them??? I just thought of another question and then forgot what it was.... oh yeah... how do you know how many grains to use and how do you know when it's time to cut back. I'm up to my ears in teething baby (which means I'm lazy and have no time to fish after skg grains LOL) so I just tossed my grains in a nylon nut-milk bag and just toss that in the water.
I actually toss the blueberries. I think I ate one once and there wasn't much flavor left in it.

I have no idea when you should start cutting back the grains... dogmom could probably answer that better. But I also have a ton of them. I try to keep some in some sugar water in the fridge as backups, and I'm going to dry some too for a second backup. Beyond that, I just give my extra grains away to friends.

#22 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

OK I was directed to this thread from the "Got Kefir" thread to ask who has extra grains right now... After making milk kefir with my 'little grain friends' for about 6 years, I think I finally killed them. (See my post in 'Got Kefir' thread)

Im in Central CA and would be glad to pay for priority shipping. I have never tried water kefir so I am hesitant but encouraged thanks to you ladies. Id love to give them a try.:
#23 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, I completely missed your question. You need approximately 3 tablespoons of water kefir grains to culture 2 quarts of kefir (some people say up to 3 qt.). If your grains are multiplying, you can pull out 3 T. and either start a second container brewing or share them with someone. I have heard of people feeding extra grains to goats too (know someone who does this).

#24 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm sorry, I completely missed your question. You need approximately 3 tablespoons of water kefir grains to culture 2 quarts of kefir (some people say up to 3 qt.). If your grains are multiplying, you can pull out 3 T. and either start a second container brewing or share them with someone. I have heard of people feeding extra grains to goats too (know someone who does this).
Wow... for real??? I must have a cup or so of grains to about a quart of water
Any idea what happens when you use to many grains? It's obvious in milk kefir b/c it gets very curdy and yougurty but what about with water grains.
#25 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 PM

What if you're only culturing one quart at a time? Should you use less than 3 tablespoons?
#26 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula View Post
OK I was directed to this thread from the "Got Kefir" thread to ask who has extra grains right now... After making milk kefir with my 'little grain friends' for about 6 years, I think I finally killed them. (See my post in 'Got Kefir' thread)

Im in Central CA and would be glad to pay for priority shipping. I have never tried water kefir so I am hesitant but encouraged thanks to you ladies. Id love to give them a try.:
I think they meant a different thread. I think the thread you're after is in the trading post forum.
#27 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Ah yes, but it apeared to me to be locked... This was the only other place LOL
#28 of 55 Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Wow... for real??? I must have a cup or so of grains to about a quart of water
Any idea what happens when you use to many grains? It's obvious in milk kefir b/c it gets very curdy and yougurty but what about with water grains.
I personally haven't every had an issue with it. I suppose maybe it's culturing a bit faster but I've had my own personal stash of grains multiply to the point I didn't think about it and suddenly I had over a cup of grains. Never noticed any significant difference with the finished kefir.

Quote:
What if you're only culturing one quart at a time? Should you use less than 3 tablespoons?
No, I wouldn't worry about using less. When I send out grains, I send out 3 tablespoons regardless (2 t. of dried grains rehydrates to 3 T.).

#29 of 55 Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula View Post
Ah yes, but it apeared to me to be locked... This was the only other place LOL
I pm'd a mod for you, and they opened it back up. It was just moved into the wrong place- that's why it was locked.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=517191

#30 of 55 Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM

: Thanks so much!! I suppose I could have done that as well LOL But I assumed it was done for a reason. Im so out of the loop arround here. I used to be so involved with everything MDC, but I haven't posted here in about 2 years now

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page