GAPS/SCD mamas - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 213 Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm here. I've been on GAPS for 6 months. In conjunction with the proper supplements and doing some meditation/energy work, I've had a lot of healing. I've added food back into my diet and my adrenals are getting better. I KNOW this diet has helped and I recommend it to everyone with nearly any issue. It isn't a cure all but it has only helped me and several friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 213 Old 08-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Would you share more about the supps you're taking, and maybe more about the energy work (if you don't mind!) What foods have you added back in?

Sorry--I'd just love to hear details of how this helps others. TIA!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#183 of 213 Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 PM

GAPS mamas, we've been talking a bit about GAPS and healing w/ food in the primal/paleo grain free August thread. Most of us are grain free there, and even though we are not all doing the same things, there are lots of GAPS/SCD friendly meal ideas tossed around. You may want to join us there!

I traditional foods
#184 of 213 Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Would you share more about the supps you're taking, and maybe more about the energy work (if you don't mind!) What foods have you added back in?

Sorry--I'd just love to hear details of how this helps others. TIA!!!
Hmm, I've gone through a gamut of supplements. Let's see if I can remember them all. ;-)

What I take everyday:
Core Level Health Reserve
L-Glutamine
Glandulars (just started a few days ago)
Colon cleanse (just for 30 days)
Probiotcs (various kinds but I'm really liking VSL#3)

What I take when I remember or feel like it, at least a few times a week:
Trace Minerals
Adrenal herbal tincture
FCLO
Celtic sea salt, pinch in water
Epsom salt baths

What I've taken in the past and has been helpful:
Homecysteine Redux
Total GHR
L-Tryptophan
Humaworm cleanse

For energy/meditation work, I've worked with an energy doctor for most of it but discovered I have pretty powerful healing when I meditate. Check out EFT for what my doc likes. I enjoy Donna Eden's work personally but think I made more progress with EFT. Yoga has worked wonders too!

I've added back so much! Sugars, almonds, goat/sheep dairy, eggs, and fermented foods, although I barely eat sugars and I do better with duck egg. Over the last few days, I've even tolerated small amounts of cow dairy!

I'm not perfect on GAPS but I don't care. Small amounts of stevia and baking soda are fine by me. I'll eat french fries or illegal bacon as a treat sometimes and I'm still healing. I know doing the Intro was a big part of initiating healing and I'm going to do it again in a couple weeks, as my DH wants to try the diet too.

And, fyi, I read the Paleo/Primal/Grain-free thread every day. ;-)
#185 of 213 Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiajenn View Post
Hmm, I've gone through a gamut of supplements. Let's see if I can remember them all. ;-)

What I take everyday:
Core Level Health Reserve
L-Glutamine
Glandulars (just started a few days ago)
Colon cleanse (just for 30 days)
Probiotcs (various kinds but I'm really liking VSL#3)

What I take when I remember or feel like it, at least a few times a week:
Trace Minerals
Adrenal herbal tincture
FCLO
Celtic sea salt, pinch in water
Epsom salt baths

What I've taken in the past and has been helpful:
Homecysteine Redux
Total GHR
L-Tryptophan
Humaworm cleanse

For energy/meditation work, I've worked with an energy doctor for most of it but discovered I have pretty powerful healing when I meditate. Check out EFT for what my doc likes. I enjoy Donna Eden's work personally but think I made more progress with EFT. Yoga has worked wonders too!

Thank you for all the info!! I take a lot of similar things and _love_ yoga. I wioll totally look into the things I've not utilized!

I've added back so much! Sugars, almonds, goat/sheep dairy, eggs, and fermented foods, although I barely eat sugars and I do better with duck egg. Over the last few days, I've even tolerated small amounts of cow dairy!

That's amazing--dairy of any sort would be a dream!

I'm not perfect on GAPS but I don't care. Small amounts of stevia and baking soda are fine by me. I'll eat french fries or illegal bacon as a treat sometimes and I'm still healing. I know doing the Intro was a big part of initiating healing and I'm going to do it again in a couple weeks, as my DH wants to try the diet too.

Glad to hear this, just b/c I don't have the desire to be perfect GAPS. I should really look into to doing the intro--how long did you do it for?? Did you add back in everything slowly after as well or did you stop the intro and just start adding things as you felt like it? Thanks again for all your input!!!!

And, fyi, I read the Paleo/Primal/Grain-free thread every day. ;-)
Awesome! See you there!!!!

I traditional foods
#186 of 213 Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM

I'm about to go GAPS with my family, too. We've been eating TF, low-grain (no grain for me) for quite a while, and I just want to help us all move away from the "one bite and I go bananas for more carbs" place to a better one. I'd like to see

-dc#3 gain weight and be more resistent to buggies
-dc#1, 2, & 3 be tic-free for good (already we only see them when they eat more processed food, like going to Grandma's or in early pregnancy when I can't make anything)
-dc#5 have no more tummy pain
-dh no more eczema
-me lose the moodiness, fatigue, brain fog, & weight gain that have developed over the years since doing lots and lots of antibiotics for UTIs
-all of us be able to eat some homemade dessert or grain once in a blue moon without going nuts for more and more and more, and be able to think abotu grains or sugar without going crazy with giddiness and anticipation. Be still, my gut!
#187 of 213 Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Is this the FairyRae from the MDA forums?

I'm trying to figure out how GAPS is different from what we're doing now - real food with fermented foods added and no grains/sugar. Am I going to have to break down and get a book, or is there a "sum up" version?
#188 of 213 Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 AM

I wonder the same thing. The two books together are $55 on amazon.
#189 of 213 Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 AM

Yeah--I'm the same FairyRae from MDA. (Although I consider MDC my real 'home' )

Have you ever heard of the SCD? (Specific Carbohydrate Diet?) Although GAPS and SCD are similar to eating real, grain free foods and avoiding sugar, etc, there are some really specific things that make them unique--they are based on a legal/not legal foods system. In order to do GAPS as it is recommended, you are *supposed* to avoid *all* illegal foods, which includes some additives and foods you *may* be eating, even eating primally. (I don't personally stick to GAPS legal foods only--so am not really doing GAPS--but have found the GAPS/SCD info hugely helpful in my own gut healing path.)

The book is helpful, although I've never done full GAPS strictly. But I think you could get started w/out it just looking at the legal/not legal food lists...

Here is something I compiled a/b GAPS basics on the http://heal-thyself.ning.com/ forum in case it's helpful.

Quote:
http://gapsdiet.com/

Quote:
The Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet has its foundation on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) created by Dr. Sidney Valentine Haas to heal digestive disorders. SCD gained great popularity after a mother, Elaine Gottschall, healed her own child and became an advocate for SCD. Elaine Gottschall is also the author of the popular book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Intestinal Health Through Diet.
Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride has taken SCD and evolved it further to create a full protocol for healing digestive disorders and subsequent issues.

Outline of the GAPS diet: http://gapsdiet.com/GAPS_Outline.html

Introduction GAPS diet: http://gapsdiet.com/INTRODUCTION_DIET.html

Full GAPS diet (w/ GAPS legal/illegal lists): http://gapsdiet.com/The_Diet.html

Quote:
For many GAPS patients, the diet should be followed for two years at least. The book Gut & Psychology Syndrome will provide recipes and more explanation about the diet.

The best foods are eggs (if tolerated), fresh meats (not preserved), fish, shellfish, fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts and seeds, garlic and olive oil. Apart from eating vegetables cooked, it is important to have some raw vegetables with meals, as they contain vital enzymes to assist digestion of the meats. Fruit should be eaten on their own, not with meals, as they have a very different digestion pattern and can make the work harder for the stomach. Fruit should be given as a snack between meals.

It is very important to have plenty of natural fats in every meal from meats, butter, ghee, coconut (if tolerated) and cold pressed olive oil. Animal fats on meats are particularly valuable. Fermented foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, and kefir) are also a very important part of this diet in addition to homemade meat or fish stock. It is recommended to take a cup of warm meat or fish stock with every meal as a drink as well as soups and stews made with the meat or fish stock. The stock, kefir and fermented vegetables will over time restore the stomach acid production, which will improve digestion.

It is best to avoid processed foods (any packet or tinned foods). They are stripped from most nutrients that were present in the fresh ingredients used for making these foods. They are a hard work for the digestive system and they damage the healthy gut flora balance. On top of that they usually contain a lot of artificial chemicals, detrimental to health, like preservatives, colorants, etc. Try to buy foods in the form that nature made them, as fresh as possible.
GAPS yahoo group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/gapshelp/

GAPS guide is really helpful for those wanting to implement the diet or aspects of it.
http://gapsguide.com/
Here is my SCD basics compilation as well, if its of any use!!

Quote:
Definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Carbohydrate_Diet
Quote:
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) is a nutritional regimen, created by Dr. Sidney V. Haas and popularized by Elaine Gottschall, which restricts the use of complex carbohydrates (disaccharides and polysaccharides) and eliminates refined sugar, gluten and starch from the diet.[1] It is promoted as a way of reducing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis, coeliac disease and autism.

Gotschall believed the body lacks the ability to digest complex sugars, resulting in dysbiosis, the overgrowth of harmful bacterial flora. In 1924 Haas reported that "in cases which the diet can be controlled for a sufficient long time, recovery ensues in every instance and without nutritional relapse." These positive findings were published in a scientific journal.
Quote:
The rationale of the diet, as described in Breaking the Vicious Cycle, is as follows:

1 When the body receives complex carbohydrates (disaccharides or polysaccharides) these substances must be broken down before they can be absorbed.

2 In the body of a person who is not able to break these substances down efficiently, an influx of undigested material causes harmful bacteria to flourish.

3 Bacterial overgrowth is accordingly followed by a significant increase in the waste and other irritants they produce.

4 Irritation in the lining of the digestive tract results in the overproduction of mucus and injury to the digestive tract, which in turn causes malabsorption and makes it even more difficult to maintain proper digestion.

The purpose of the diet is to break the ongoing cycle caused by an overpopulation of harmful bacteria in the gut. When the body is able to absorb the proper nutrients from simple sugars and other carbohydrates that are easy to digest, the inflammation and other complications caused by many auto-immune diseases can be lessened. The goal is to rid the body of complex saccharides so that the gut will be able to heal itself and enable further healing to occur.

The method of the diet is to keep the bacterial flora well balanced and to allow the gut to digest all of the food it is given, thereby starving out the harmful bacteria.

Certain foods, such as commercial syrups and sugars, starchy vegetables, and dairy products are not allowed while on the diet. Other foods, such as fruits, greens, animal protein, and nuts are allowed.
SCD Legal/Illegal Foods List (the basis of the diet): http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm

SCD site: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

SCD pecan bread site (lots of info on implementing the diet):
http://www.pecanbread.com/

SCD/GAPS recipies: http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/
HTH!!!

I traditional foods
#190 of 213 Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Quite amazing - just last night, a friend sent me a link to your healthyself site. We get what we need when we need it, no?

As I recall from the last time I checked out the foods list, I think we mostly don't eat the foods off the diet, anyway. For my own informational purposes, I see:
  • Foods that we hardly ever eat that I'll need to make a mental note of: Arrowroot, bean sprouts, okra, black eyed peas, buckwheat, canellini beans, cottage cheese, chickpeas/hummus, cocoa powder, corn, millet, parsnip, quinoa, ricotta
  • Foods that we do eat that need to go: chevre & feta (alas! why? softer cheeses have more lactose?), raw milk & cream, potato, sweet potato, commercial sour cream (what if probiotic w/ no stabilizers added, trying it later on along with the double cream?)
  • Foods that I suspect are alright if made at home or by our farmer with traditional methods .... can anyone confirm?: buttermilk (made by fermenting our milk w/ buttermilk culture), cream cheese (made w/ NT recipe), smoked/salted fish, ham, jam (fruit only), smoked pork shoulder & brisket (nothing but meat, spices, & smoke), roasted/salted nuts, soy sauce (fermented w/ no wheat), balsamic vinegar (the kind I buy at TJ's has no "caramel coloring," only vinegar + grape must)
  • Foods that I'd love to know why they're "illegal" if someone can explain it - understanding why helps me so much more to remember which foods and to stick with it: cocoa powder, canned coconut milk, molasses (why maple & honey but not sucanat/rapadura?), mozzarella, seaweed (looks like this can be added gradually if tolerated), beer/sherry (but wine ok)

Does the ban on pollen mean honey should be filtered?

I'm still reading through this thread (halfway through!), so please pardon me if some of these questions have already been answered. I'm ready to get started w/ our family, just need to make sure I know what to do!

I'm planning to do it for about six months, since we're blessed not to have any major health issues, just minor ones I'd like to nip in the bud. Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer any insight! I'm learning so much through the wisdom of the mamas here.
#191 of 213 Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatrlCatholicMama View Post
Quite amazing - just last night, a friend sent me a link to your healthyself site. We get what we need when we need it, no?

I love the heal-thyself site, which is run by WuWei/Pat of MDC. The GAPS/SCD group is just in its beginnings there though, and was started just to bounce around ideas. I am NO expert on this topic, but just started the group b/c it's something folks were interested in discussing. You may get lots of your questions answered here by the GAPS mamas, although for the more detailed questions you have, I'd join the GAPShelp yahoo group and ask there--very knowledgeable folks! (There is a link to it in my last post here.) Baden's GAPSguide site may be very helpful as well.

Just to share a little more (so you'll know where I'm coming from) I personally don't choose to follow strict GAPS, and feel I can do a lot of healing by utilizing ideas from it along w/ ideas from other diets/methods. (The Maker's Diet, Body Ecology Diet, Paleo/Primal Diet, etc.) That is my own opinion though, and works for me right now. It is certainly NOT in line w/ GAPS/SCD protocols, but definitely colors my responses!

And a couple of things I know the answer to:

No canned coconut milk b/c almost all of it contains guar gum.

Honey is the only sweetener allowed (besides dates, fruit, etc)--no maple syrup, no mollasses, no sugar, etc--b/c honey is a monosaccharide and all the rest are disaccharides. GAPS and SCD are largely based on cutting dissacharides and eating only monossacharides (sorry if spelling is off.) Bee pollen is questionable--I wouldn't worry about straining the honey. Natasha Campbell McBride (NCM) has said bee pollen can be hard on the digestive system, which is why it is not included on the legal list. I think if you are not having big digestive issues, its not a big deal--although I'd look into it more if you're wanting do do strict GAPS.

When I was considering GAPS, I found looking at the SCD legal/not legal lists helpful as well. They are mostly the same, but w/ slight differences, and I was planning to pick/choose what worked best for me. (I'm really a make-my-own-way kind of gal!)

Anyway, hth!

I traditional foods
#192 of 213 Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 AM

subbing as we will be starting gaps soon

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#193 of 213 Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM

I've decided to wait on the intro til my dd weans. For now, I've decided to introduce some GAPS foods & restrictions, I figured the gluten free part would be tough for me to get used to so I wanted some practice before I jump in and have multiple restrictions all at once - I went GF one week ago. By day three my mental state had completely changed - the brain fog was gone and the crushing fatigue had decreased significantly. Now on day 7 & still feeling sooo much better. I can't remember my brain/mind ever feeling this way, so it's unfamiliar and I'm having a hard time describing it. It's like changing the radio station from static to a signal that is coming in perfectly. I'm surprised, because I never suspected wheat to be a problem for me!

Have also started having bone broth for breakfast every day and my abdominal pain is reduced quite a bit.

Both these experiences make me even more positive that GAPS is going to be very good for me!!
#194 of 213 Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Wow, that's awesome! Great news!
#195 of 213 Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Just want to throw my experience out for you all to consider --

I did GAPS in an attempt to try grain free, as I had noticed that my mood improved during a short grain-free stint I had. I was overwhelmed by menu stuff, so I ordered a menu online that was both GAPS and Paleo. I figured the GAPS was just an extra bonus, nothing to think too much about. The menu was wonderful, with very great recipes, but very soon I began to detox. I didn't know what was going on, but then figured it out and was able to slow the detox process down (I am nursing). I felt well and calm and great.

But then both my dc got sick repeatedly, my baby was hospitalized briefly, and I was absolutely unable to keep up with the diet. I tried, but ended up eating so little that I started losing lots and lots of weight. So I scrapped everything, took care of my children, and ate our old diet, which was/is a very TF diet.

And all of a sudden I have eczema in large amounts. It's happened before when I've had a gut disturbance, so I know it's related. But before, it was always just a small patch under my eye. Now it's all over my neck and on my scalp, as well as the old patch under my eye.

I'm assuming that this is because I removed foods that were creating mucous in my gut, my gut stopped producing mucus and started healing, and then when I suddenly added the foods back in before full healing had occurred, there was no mucous to protect my gut, and I started having even bigger reactions to the foods.

So now I am hoping that my body will go back to its old coping mechanisms, because we are still in the midst of medical issues and I am still nursing, and I don't think I can handle doing the diet again for a while. I do think I will go back to it eventually, when I know I can keep up.

Just a heads up. I had heard that stopping it early could make you worse, but didn't understand it until now.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#196 of 213 Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM

I have read on a celiac site that even if one is not celiac or gluten intolerant eliminating gluten then going back to it could be problematic, similar to what you are describing. If so, remaining GF even during times one could not do full GAPS might help. Timing is one thing that is weighing heavy on my mind, regarding when to start GAPS... being able to stay committed to the process and follow through all the steps. But as your story illustrates one simply doesn't know what the future might hold. Considering this info you shared, it seems to make sense for me that if I do get interrupted by some unavoidable circumstance, I'll go back to GF TF til I could resume GAPS again. I'd probably have to go back to using enzymes.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's a good idea for us to think about our back up plan in case our good intentions get derailed along the way!
#197 of 213 Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Hi!

My family and I have been on the GAPS diet for almost a year, minus the fermented vegetables. We have seen some improvement; my husband's hypoglycemia is gone, no more constipation for my son, my acne is gone, our energy is back, weight loss for my husband and I, among other things. Now we are getting ready to start Intro. I am trying to get organized, set up a meal plan, schedule tasks on meal prep so that I don't feel swamped everyday cooking. I am overwhelmed!!! Does anyone have advice? Things that helped you out to get organized, make life easier?

Is anyone here on Intro?

Thanks!
#198 of 213 Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM

Well, here's what we did. I set an Intro/GAPS start date of Sept 1, then realized I wasn't ready, lol. So we took out potatoes that week, yogurt then next, then cheese. And started Intro this week. I think slowly moving from full GAPS to Intro was helpful for me, while I did the research to find out what to do.

Then I made a list of what I needed to remember through Intro. It looked like this (JHS are my personal notes):

Stay in the same stage until symptoms clear, but stay long periods (JHS: say, longer than a week) only if diarrhea persists. If new food causes a reaction, re-introduce in 5-7 days (longer if severe reaction). (One guideline: four days clear of strong reactions before introducing a new food.)
No dairy for six weeks. Start with sensitivity test.
No baking or fruit for 3 weeks, then only snacks between meals.
Chew thoroughly. Drink slowly.
Add BioKult 1 capsule every 4-7 days, or can go much slower. If reaction, back down to previous level for a time.

Stage One
•Water w/ probiotic. (JHS: keep dose steady during intro)
•Pate (gelatinous tissue & marrow) with every meal
•Chicken broth is gentlest.
•Heat food on stove, not microwave.
•Drink stock all day and with meals, w/ probiotic food. Eat it whenever you want to.
•Avoid cabbage & celery for now. Broc & Cauli heads ok. No squash skin or seeds.
•Add 2T garlic at end of soup. Add pate (can blend now), meat, & let cool (till finger can stay in unburned) before adding probiotic food to each bowl.
•Probiotic food – use the juice from fermented veggies. Start w/ 1-2 tsp/day for 2-5 days. 3-4 tsp/day for 2-5 days. Build up to a few tsp in every cup of stock or soup.
•Ginger tea between meals. Grate 1tsp root into teapot and pour boiling water over it. Steep 3-5m. Strain and add honey (optional) to taste.

Tomato soup w/ Italian sausages
Baden's chicken soup
"Stew beef" cooked in beef broth
Broth made from all bones I save up

Stage Two
•Can intro juices if stubborn constipation. Start with carrot juice first thing in morning w/ CLO.
•Continue boiled meat & veggies, stock, ginger tea, ferment juice.
•Do egg yolk sensitivity test. Add raw egg yolk. Start from 1 yolk/day and build to a yolk with every bowl. When well tolerated, do egg white sensitivity test & add soft-boiled eggs.
•Add stews & casseroles (no spices, just salt & fresh herbs – see casseroles in GAPS book) – IOW, partly covered in water. Lots of fat!!
•Continue increasing amount of ferment juice.
•Intro fermented fish – start w/ one piece/day and gradually increase. De-scale, behead, & gut fresh sardines, herring, or mackerel. In glass jar or ss pan, add fish, 1-2C whey, 1-2T salt, tsp crushed black peppercorns, 10 bay leaves, 1/2tsp freshly crushed coriander seeds. Top up w/ water (~1qt) so fish is covered. Float a small plate on fish to keep submerged. Cover pan or jar, fermenting 3-5 days at room temp. De-bone, hop, and serve with fresh dill & chopped red onion.
•Intro homemade ghee – start w/ 1tsp/day and gradually increase. (1-2 C of unsalted butter in metal or glass dish at 250-350 for 45-60m, stirring & watching. Pour golden fat into glass jars & refrigerate. (Or refrigerate and skim the solids off the top)

Pot Roast
Stewed Rabbit (this was an Emeril recipe and DELICIOUS - could be done with chicken, too)
Lamb Casserole (found this by googling "casserole joint" to eliminate all the bread crumb & cream of chicken soup casseroles)
Butternut squash (simmereed) w/ ghee, CO, raw egg yolk, cinnamon
Whites – use for egg drop soup

Stage Three
•Continue with previous foods.
•Add ripe avocado mashed into soups, starting w/ 1-3tsp and gradually increasing.
•Add nut butter pancakes, starting w/ one/day and gradually increasing. Organic nut butter, eggs, winter or summer squash (peeled, de-seeded, and pureed). Fry small, thin pancakes using ghee or goose/duck fat.
•Add scrambled egg w/ plenty of ghee or goose/duck fat. Serve w/ avocado & cooked veggies. Onion sliced and covered and cooked in three tablespoons cooked fat for 20-30 min on low heat is very good for digestion.
•Add fermented vegetables – start small and increase to 1-2T per meal

Lentil chicken soup (Mexican spices) w/ dollop of yogurt

Stage Four
•Add roasted and grilled meats. No burning.
•Add EVOO, starting with a few drops per meal, gradually building to 1-2T/meal.
•Add freshly pressed juices, starting from a few spoonfuls of carrot juice, building to 1C/day. Then try adding celery, lettuce, & fresh mint. Drink slowly. Can be diluted w/ warm water (or later, mixed w/ yogurt). Drink on empty stomach – first thing in morning or middle of afternoon.
•Can add bread with nut or seed flour. Recipe (in book): nut flour, eggs, winter or summer squash, fat, salt. Start with a small piece per day and gradually increase.

Stage Five
•Add cooked apple. Peel, core, stew w/ a bit of water till soft. Add fat & mash. Start w/ a few spoonfuls/day, then gradually increase.
•Add raw vegetables, starting with softer parts of lettuce & peeled cucumber. Watch stool. Start w/ small amount and gradually increase. Gradually add carrot, tomato, onion, cabbage, etc.
•Can add fruit to juice: apple, pineapple, and mango. Avoid citrus yet.

Stage Six
•Can add peeled raw apple, gradually increasing. (JHS: avoid fruit & honey for three weeks, limit severely for three more, limit to one/day till GAPS is over. Reconsider this schedule regularly.)
•Can add other raw fruit & more honey, starting small & gradually increasing.
•Can gradually introduce cakes & other legal sweets. Use dried fruit as a sweetener in the baking.

Dairy
•Ghee on stage three of Intro.
•Six weeks after stopping dairy, place a drop of 24-hr fermented yogurt on inside of wrist at bedtime. Let it dry, then sleep. Check in morning for angry red reaction (wait a few weeks before trying test again). No reaction, then introduce gradually starting with a small amount.
•Butter next.
•Cheddar next (perhaps months later).
•Other GAPS-legal cheeses next.

FULL GAPS
•Continue with at least one cup stock/day, plenty of natural fats, fermented foods, pate.
•Probiotic in lemon mineral water or juice (50% carrot, beet (<10%), celery, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, parsley, dill, basil, beet or carrot tops; 50% apple, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, grapes, mango…, diluted and/or w/ yogurt) first thing, drunk slowly.
•85% should be meats, fish, eggs, fermented dairy, & veggies. Any baking & fruit should be in the remaining portion.

Breakfast options
•Eggs w/ sausage & greens, peppers & mushrooms, legal cheese, etc.
•Avocado.
•Meat stock.
•Nut butter pancakes w/ butter & honey, something savory (sun-dried tomatoes & mushrooms?), pureed berries w/ honey.
•Weak tea w/ lemon, ginger tea, or mint tea.
•Muffins, fruit cake, bread.

Lunch & Dinner options
•Soup or stew, roast/grilled meat and veggies
•Avocado with meat, fish, shellfish, and raw and/or cooked veggies
•Warm meat stock as drink.

I just made sure I had plenty of stock to begin with, plenty of whole chickens and extra bones, and plenty of meat & veggies on hand. Oh, and fermented veggies of some kind to use the juice for the first few days. We just dove in. We got really tired of soup after a day and a half and were very glad to be able to move on to stage two and stews. Stage three and roasts today, yay!

Since I'm not used to cooking three meals a day, I primarily needed to remind myself to cook enough for two meals for dinner (and have it for breakfast the next day), and to think about & prep the next meal as soon as I was finished with the current one. Now it's not nearly as big a deal, b/c we're nearly back (after four days) to eating the way we did before. (but again, we don't have major issues, and didn't expect to need a lot of time on Intro)

I have to tell you, I wasn't expecting much b/c we already ate pretty close to GAPS and we don't have major health issues - but we were SICK the first two days. Fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pimples, sneezing, joint achiness, the works - our bodies were pouring the toxins out, let me tell you. Several of us resorted to taking a bath (which we never do) with 1/2C of baking soda mixed in. Don't know if it helped or not, but it seemed to ease the worst of the back/leg/stomach pains. Anyway, I strongly recommend picking days you can be sick and not throw your entire schedule off.

Best of luck to you!
#199 of 213 Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks for writing it out, that makes it much clearer.
#200 of 213 Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks so much, this is soooo helpful!!!!!

We are planning to start in a week. How are you doing now?
#201 of 213 Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Wow, NatrlCatholicMama, that's a post to remember and return to!! Thanks!! Great summary and great helpful tips.

Velcromom, I appreciate you mentioning the gluten thing being even bigger than the grains/starches. After reading your post, I went back to gluten-free, and now, a few days later, the eczema is really reduced -- no longer red, and the dry area is thin, not thick. Whew!!

So funny, I remember being in the hospital with the baby, looking at the bagel sandwich someone had just brought me, sooooo hungry and tired. I had already begun eating rice the week before, but was clinging to the gluten free idea. And I thought, well, there goes gluten free -- and I enjoyed that sandwich SOOO much. And I ate some more wheat after that, too. But, now that I think back to it, it was a couple of days later that the eczema started.

So I hope that attempting to go back to gluten free, which is easier than GAPS, solves it for now, and then I can try GAPS again at some later date. We'll see how I do!! We are still in medical mode over here, but it's less stressful than it was before.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#202 of 213 Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Just a tip if you feel overwhemled starting GAPS with intro. Many people just try and eat off the GAPS allowed food list until they feel they are ready to start intro. (I did that) I really think intro helped me heal so much--my stomach issue stopped right away (I was having IBS-like symptoms with pain and running to the bathroom right after I ate..not good!) I was able to move through the stages pretty fast too...so if you get starving or need more variety in food then just try adding some stuff from the next stage earlier.

I just really want to encourge people who are really struggling with their health to do the intro because many seem to want to skip it (and I get that) but it works.

Also, I used Trader Joe's canned lite coconut milk sometimes because it was just coconut milk and water.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#203 of 213 Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 AM

What a choice find to find this thread... and the fermenting veggie thread! I have been on SCD/GAPS since last Feb, 8 months. Overall I have been doing really well and aside from some boredom struggles I can stick to the diet pretty well. I have been doing so much more reading about it that I think I will do the intro diet again soon and just revamp what I'm already doing.

I have a couple of questions though.

I have only just begun to ferment my veggies and I take in no diary right now, including not goat yogurt. What proibotic shoudl I take and how often? I think it will be one of my only real sources of good bacteria intro into my body.

Also, I have been taking caprilic acid to kill off yeast (this was recommended by a friend), but I wonder if I am damaging my already damaged gut? Is this stuff too strong? and if so what else could I take?

Thanks for reading

not all who wander are lost
#204 of 213 Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes, I know this thread is very old!  Curious to see if anyone is still around.  We did SCD/GAPS about 3 years ago and saw dramatic healing with dd within a few months.  Her full-body eczema disappeared completely.  All digestive symptoms were gone as well.  Then I got pregnant and lost the plot altogether.  I was pretty good about keeping her on the diet while pg but after the baby came we regressed because I didn't keep up with the diet (or the probiotics or the ferments or the broth).  Her eczema slowly returned.  Baby is now 20 months and showing some symptoms so we're going back on the diet.  I didn't keep it up long enough and I got slack after dd's symptoms were gone.  We have stayed GF and egg-free and basically sugar-free so it shouldn't be too dramatic for us.  I'm going to start just doing the restricted GAPS diet with no eggs, dairy and then transition to the intro which I did not do when dd was little.  I'm so surprised and glad to find that GAPS is more well-known now and that all the info is easy to find.  Back when we started this I had to search high and low to find anything about her and the book was almost impossible to get.  Luckily my kids love meat, fruit and vegetables.  The only real hard part for us is weaning off cereal/porridge in the morning.  I'd love to hear from anyone who's doing or has done GAPS

#205 of 213 Old 01-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Hi joybird!  We're still around and doing SCD/GAPS.  I haven't been to this forum in a while, and just stumbled on this and saw your post.  

We have stayed on the diet, but really have kind of been at a plateau for a long time.  I was trying to just keep with the diet and hope that was all that was needed, but I am now trying to figure out more.  I'm not sure whether or not my kids tolerate the dairy, really.  We are fine with butter, and I give them cheese sometimes, but then too much cheese and one of my kids gets congestion.  I am the same way.  So we haven't done the yogurt in a long long time.  But I think that has been something we have needed.  I have done probiotics some, but am not consistent with it.  Just in the past few days, though, I started S boulardii and saw an improvement right away.  I am just going to patiently watch and see how things go for a week or so.  I am not giving any other probiotics right now.

I am so hesitant about dairy, because I have tested positive as being allergic to it, and while I can tolerate raw butter, if I were to eat more than a tiny bit of cheese, I get congested.

I am sorry you guys are dealing with the eczema again.   As for breakfast, my kids have been eating a lot of fruit, apples with sun butter, sausage, bacon, etc.  Those are the non-egg things they eat in the morning.  

#206 of 213 Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi momofmine!  We just started up the boulardii again as well.  It's definitely helping.  I had forgotten how much better I feel on this diet - moods, sleep, energy etc.  

Can you do coconut yogurt?  That was a staple for us.  I've finally found one without guar gum that isn't in a can.  It seems like probiotic foods are really necessary for the diet to be effective.  I have no idea how to do sauerkraut but that's my next project, apart from finding a good source for bones.  

I am curious, what avenues are you pursuing now beyond the diet?  I know, there are so many pieces to the puzzle . . .

#207 of 213 Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM

I have a question for anyone doing GAPS/SCD with little ones. I have a 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old. We have been mostly doing the diet for a few months now except for a little sugar or chocolate here and there, and their vitamins which aren't legal. I'm looking to get strict with it. So, my question, what legal supplements are recommended? Mainly looking for a legal multivitamin and possibly digestive enzymes. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

#208 of 213 Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 PM

Ok--I am looking for some help and insight here.  

I am 26, and have multiple sclerosis (diagnosed at 18).  I have been eating paleo (aside from occasional cheats--mostly dairy and sugar) for about the past 2 years.  I recently started the GAPS diet about a week ago.  So far I have been eating a lot of bone broth soups (either chicken stock + winter squash, beet and carrot or beef stock + beef or beef/pork meatballs + onions, kale, spinach, carrots).  I am drinking a glass of filtered water in the morning, with lemon.  I also started adding egg yolks and carrot juice two days ago.  I am taking FCLO and Dr Ron's Friendly Flora (I have GutPro coming in the mail).  

I am currently having the first flare up of MS that I've had for several years (random coldness in the left side of my face and clumsiness in my right hand).  It seems to be slowly going away.  

Overall I am feeling pretty OK, except that I am more constipated than usual (I have always tended towards constipation, even eating paleo--hope this isn't TMI!!!!!!).  Yesterday I did a very small water-only enema which did produce results.  Today I also felt constipated and was unable to go on my own, so I did a water + probiotic enema and had some results but I think I'm going to do it again.  I also see in the GAPS FAQ's that they reccomend 1/2 - 1 tsp of sea salt and baking soda per liter of water as well.  I am considering trying the coffee enema as well...we'll see.  =P

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  I do have some questions!!

I keep reading juices in the morning reccomended if you are constipated--apple, carrot, greens, orange, beet.  So far I haven't eaten any fruit since starting the intro...should I?   Or should I just stick with carrots and beets?

What are your thoughts on the enemas?  I just am worried about screwing up my gut flora and/or getting dependent on them.

Is winter squash constipating?  Maybe I should freeze my squash soup until this is resolved?  But I dont know how long that will be!  And we have TONS of squashes from the garden now...=S

Thanks everybody!!!! =D

#209 of 213 Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwomonkies View Post

I have a question for anyone doing GAPS/SCD with little ones. I have a 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old. We have been mostly doing the diet for a few months now except for a little sugar or chocolate here and there, and their vitamins which aren't legal. I'm looking to get strict with it. So, my question, what legal supplements are recommended? Mainly looking for a legal multivitamin and possibly digestive enzymes. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I know that Thorne brand supplements don't have any fillers or magnesium stearate--I used to use their Betaine HCL.  Also, I like Dr. Rons--they have a good selection, and they are all very pure as well.  Hope that helps!

#210 of 213 Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM

i have a question, would you start slow on probiotic foods you've already been taking for awhile? i've just started the gaps introduction diet and it says to only take 1-2 tsp of probiotic food per day to start. well i've been eating homemade kraut, kimchi, yogurt, etc for years. and lately have been drinking storebought kefir. is it really necessary to start that slow? or as long as my die-off isn't too bad, can i do larger amounts?

eta: have a few more minutes so thought i'd add to this. we've been TF for 5+ years and grain lite for 18 months. we don't have any big issues, but all 3 kids are allergic to cows milk (but not butter or goat/sheep milk). and i can't drink it while bf either, so i figure i could use some gut help too. for the past week we've been easing into GAPS. eating some GAPS meals, broth (which i'd totally gotten out of doing, since my main use for it before was to cook rice), combined with eating up anything non GAPS in the fridge/freezer (strawberry kefir, potstickers). already my baby is no longer constipated! (he and i have been having trouble with this since i took abx for strep throat a couple months ago, despite the probiotics i've been taking). we are seeing some die-off already i think. feeling run down, runny noses. for the past 2 days we've been doing the introduction diet, but with a few added GAPS foods. like we ate roast chicken last night, and i didn't feel like denying the kids their sunday morning fried eggs and bacon (we did have broth with it and no toast). also we are doing ghee and butter. well, because we're hungry and it makes everything taste better. we haven't started with the recommended 1-2tsp either, we're used to a high fat diet and have been eating it in our usual amounts. i'm bf'ing a 13mo old so i have been eating some avocado too. the other thing  we're doing thats not gaps legal, we've continued to take our FCLO and multi vitamins (vitamin code). and we have been drinking a bit of juice or kombucha each morning to swallow our liver pills.

my questions:

do you think the introduction will be too messed up by the variations we're doing (non boiled meats, eggs, FCLO)????

no one has diarrhea, but since we haven't been strictly stage 1 i'm not sure if that means we can move on to stage 2 or not?

when are bananas introduced? i think scd has them right from the beginning, but i'm not sure where you add them on gaps. and can i add them sooner if they're cooked rather than raw?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page