GAPS/SCD mamas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 213 Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have a ton of time to post right now, but I looked for a "tribal" thread for those on the Gut and Psychology Syndrome or Specific Carbohydrate Diet last night, and couldn't find one. Can someone direct me to it, or please feel free to post your story right here! I'll be back this afternoon with our story.

#2 of 213 Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Subbing because I would like to be part of a GAPS tribe as well. i am in stage 4 of the GAPS intro.
#3 of 213 Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's a support group for SCD in the Nutrition and Good Eating forum, it's somewhat active right now. It's not really GAPS, some people seem to feel they are almost competing, I guess to me they seem more like two flavors of the same idea and which fits best depends on the circumstances. I haven't seen a GAPS-specific tribe/support thread.
#4 of 213 Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 PM

I am trasitioning into GAPS right now to heal my multiple food allergies (gluten, dairy, eggs, tomatoes). I will go back and do the intro diet in a while. I am REALLY hoping it will work!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#5 of 213 Old 03-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
There's a support group for SCD in the Nutrition and Good Eating forum, it's somewhat active right now. It's not really GAPS, some people seem to feel they are almost competing, I guess to me they seem more like two flavors of the same idea and which fits best depends on the circumstances. I haven't seen a GAPS-specific tribe/support thread.
I'm the one who started the current thread in Nutrition & Good Eating. It's specifically for those who are trying to do the SCD -- with "fanatical adherence," as Elaine Gottschall put it -- but that's not meant to imply a sense of rivalry with other diets that are based on similar principles. It's just that the SCD has its own set of rules that are different from GAPS (especially in the beginning stages, where some of us are right now), and I wanted to have a place where we could discuss our challenges, share recipes, etc., without confusion.

It would be great to have a more general tribe as well, though.
#6 of 213 Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Subbing and bumping.

My boys and I began SCD on Dec 26, and they are doing great. Both are gaining weight again (after my older child had actually lost a few pounds this past year), stools are more normal (still some issues, but improving). I was doing less well, and I decided to try the GAPS intro for myself, and then catch up to them on SCD. We are doing SCD very slow and progressively. I am absolutely worn out right now though, I can't cook enough soup to feed myself! I have to eat plenty of vegetables, along with the protein, to keep my blood sugar from plummeting. This intro feels a little like a candida starving diet, which I don't totally agree with, but I have to say that as long as I can keep up with the food, eat enough veggies and protein, I do feel much better. Cravings have completely gone, etc. But I have to eat frequently, and when I don't, I really am exhausted.
#7 of 213 Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
This intro feels a little like a candida starving diet, which I don't totally agree with...
Can you explain why? I'm just curious because I get the impression that you know something I don't... Sorry to hijack!

More on topic, we're SCD vegans. I know, extra limiting, but we were vegan first. The introduction diet definitely was out for us as a result, but I don't give it much value in the grand scheme of things. This is likely to be a lifelong eating plan for us anyway.

Honestly, adding probiotics was like night and day for me personally. I've eaten fairly gut-friendly for many years--without realizing it--and couldn't tell you before my DD was born what constipation was like. I've seen so many ads and I remember thinking, 'What are they talking about?' When I was in the hospital, before giving birth, they forced insane amounts of antibiotics on us. Now I know what constipation is like... The pain is piercing to the very core and excruciating. And then the moment I came home, I got the cold too--and I hardly ever get sick.

Well, the nurse had told me constipation was a symptom of labor so I should take laxatives for a week. I have never needed laxatives and I wasn't about to take them. 8 months later, I was still constipated. That was when I read about the gut and probiotics. That was when I first came to read about GAPS and the SCD. We altered our diet to suit and the improvement was instant. But then we got probiotics and it became much more familiar. Thank goodness...no more pain, no more waiting 3 days between bowel movements.
#8 of 213 Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry I haven't come back to post our story. I was distracted by the birth of my niece! :

I am doing the GAPS diet for DD as she has had tons of constipation/withholding issues since starting solids, and other random problems like spotty eczema, cradle cap, and itchy dry skin. She also got a string of colds/flus/stomach bugs at the end of last year and had gotten much skinnier, with dark circles under her eyes.

She's been on the intro diet, without excluding butter, for a couple of months now. At first, I was making almond & coconut flour pancakes around the clock for her (is maple syrup allowed, btw?). After about a week, it seemed like her cravings had completely subsided, and she hasn't asked for pancakes since. She began accepting new foods and eating a ton more fat and protein (and solids in general) than before.

She also started having 1-2 soft stools per day - easily, and without prompting or coercion by me. This in itself is a MIRACLE!! And I don't feel I am overstating that. She was straining to have huge poops every 4-7 days, usually with the help of supositories, prior to the diet.

We have had some slip-ups, and I'm terribly frustrated with DH for basically sabotaging us at every opportunity. This morning, for example, I was sick in bed while he made DD pancakes w/wheat flour, then took her to Chick-fil-A for lunch. He knows she likes turkey bacon and shakes for breakfast, and that there were hot dogs in the fridge for lunch. :

We go through a lot of crispy almonds (a la NT), Jennie's coconut macaroons, and bananas to keep DD fed while we're out and about. She also loves the banana "ice cream" and I feel like she is going to turn into a banana! I am a nanny/babysitter, so sometimes it's hard to explain why other kids are eating chips and crackers. But all in all DD is very understanding. My friend gave her an animal cracker inadvertently the other day, which she dutifully brought over to me as soon as I knew what was going on.

I know I need to do more though. I've gotten her on a fish oil supplement, but haven't been consistent with probiotics, or figured out how to get her to take CLO. Her skin is still dry and itchy periodically. And I have no clue how to get DH on board with all this. He is really the GAPS person in the household, with dyslexia, IBS, dermatitis and anxiety issues. We did really well on the South Beach Diet prior to our wedding, and he knows carbs are his enemy (he is about 25 lbs overweight), but it's like pounding my head against a brick wall to take that extra step to get us 100%. A lot of it IS me, too. I am addicted to Chick-fil-A, and try to grab it whenever DD is asleep and I have the opportunity. DH says I'm a hypocrite and depriving DD of "treats". I say I'm trying to keep her healthy and prevent her from the same addictions he and I have. I really need to take the next step myself. I know I'll feel better, and I'd be setting the example DH needs to see.

So that's where we're at. I'm glad to see we have company!!

#9 of 213 Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercupmama View Post
Can you explain why? I'm just curious because I get the impression that you know something I don't... Sorry to hijack!

More on topic, we're SCD vegans. I know, extra limiting, but we were vegan first. The introduction diet definitely was out for us as a result, but I don't give it much value in the grand scheme of things. This is likely to be a lifelong eating plan for us anyway.

Honestly, adding probiotics was like night and day for me personally. I've eaten fairly gut-friendly for many years--without realizing it--and couldn't tell you before my DD was born what constipation was like. I've seen so many ads and I remember thinking, 'What are they talking about?' When I was in the hospital, before giving birth, they forced insane amounts of antibiotics on us. Now I know what constipation is like... The pain is piercing to the very core and excruciating. And then the moment I came home, I got the cold too--and I hardly ever get sick.

Well, the nurse had told me constipation was a symptom of labor so I should take laxatives for a week. I have never needed laxatives and I wasn't about to take them. 8 months later, I was still constipated. That was when I read about the gut and probiotics. That was when I first came to read about GAPS and the SCD. We altered our diet to suit and the improvement was instant. But then we got probiotics and it became much more familiar. Thank goodness...no more pain, no more waiting 3 days between bowel movements.
Wow, that's surprising. I thought GAPS was pretty firm on the necessity of animal products.

Glad to hear of your success with the probiotics. This is something I need to work on for myself as well.

#10 of 213 Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM

The intro diet, yes...that's why we didn't do it. From what I've heard, it's supposed to speed up the healing process dramatically. I find just eating gut-friendly did a world of good for me. But perhaps the antibiotics made my situation so extreme that the value of that was magnified.

My mother used to give me cod liver oil when I was a child. I'm not sure there's any easy way to get a kid to down that stuff... It's pretty horrid. We take virgin coconut oil. My DD is just over 9 months, so I'm hoping as time goes by, it will just become second nature. She's only eaten gut-friendly so far. I'll admit I haven't consistently given her probiotics, but only because I don't have one for children. I've been looking for one, but I want to make sure it's vegan first. We have a history of dairy allergy in my family.
#11 of 213 Old 03-14-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinemh View Post
Subbing because I would like to be part of a GAPS tribe as well. i am in stage 4 of the GAPS intro.
How long have you been doing it, to get to stage 4? Just curious how fast people go through those stages.
#12 of 213 Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I should clarify what I meant by "intro diet". I never went through all the "Stages" of introducing one food group at a time, and only giving DD soups for however long. I don't even recall reading that part in the book (I just looked it up on the gapsdiet website); I must have just skipped over it so quickly because I knew it would never work for me/us/DD. Basically we went to the full GAPS diet, but are doing butter as her only dairy product for now.

I also need to know how to make this work on a budget, which I am horrible at. I have a hard time planning shopping trips and menus on a regular basis (OK, I've really never even tried it). BUT, I did find this awesome website - http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/ The family is doing the GAPS diet and are totally TF from what I can tell. : I was also looking at the cheeseslave blog last night, and it is great too. I think my biggest challenge is going to be wrangling DH into cooperating with family meals/menus/shopping trips. He is the big one about shopping on a budget, but to him that basically means buying el cheapo ground turkey and canned apples, not creatively eating well within your means...gardening, co-ops, CSAs, trying new recipes/foods (he has a very limited repertoire of preferred foods), ordering in bulk, etc.

#13 of 213 Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
How long have you been doing it, to get to stage 4? Just curious how fast people go through those stages.
I got to stage four in about 3-4 weeks but it takes a lot longer for some folks it just depends on how severe your GI symptoms are. I've actually stopped with the intro now and gone to full GAPS. We are moving and traveling so it was getting too difficult to do the intro right now. I also plan to do the intro with my son later when we are more settled so I will do it again then.

AS for where to find info on the intro diet--it is not in the book. Only on the website. And I actually recommend the website: www.gapsguide.com. She has simplified directions for the intro and transitioning to the full diet.
#14 of 213 Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM

I just started the GAPS diet last week. I went straight into the full diet as I don't really have loose stools, just discomfort in my gut (specifically my colon or duodenum area) and recently developed food sensitivities. I slipped up a couple of times mainly because I had literally nothing to take to work to eat for lunch, so I took some leftover brown rice and stuff.

I decided rather than stress myself out (because I was initially, it is really hard to eat 100% this was when I work fulltime and have a busy schedule) to eat 100% this way, I will allow myself a few things on rare occasion not on the diet. Small amounts of GF grain and/or beans, sweet or white potatoes if nothing else is available, and maple syrup. That will be like once per week maybe at most, and never if I plan well enough. But stress damages my gut more than grains,carbs or starches do...so I am just going to do the best I can.
Oh I am avoiding nuts for awhile as well, I think they bother me. My Dad has diverticultis, does anyone know if that is hereditary?

For the most part I am doing well on the diet. No die off symptoms yet like I had when I did an elimination diet. Probably since I am getting more fat than I did then. And because I can have eggs, eggs are my best friend.

I am doing Garden Of Life's Primal Defense probiotic instead of hers. I am poor, and it's half the price. Probably not as good as hers, but better than most in the store.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#15 of 213 Old 03-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I guess I should clarify what I meant by "intro diet". I never went through all the "Stages" of introducing one food group at a time, and only giving DD soups for however long. I don't even recall reading that part in the book (I just looked it up on the gapsdiet website); I must have just skipped over it so quickly because I knew it would never work for me/us/DD. Basically we went to the full GAPS diet, but are doing butter as her only dairy product for now.

I also need to know how to make this work on a budget, which I am horrible at. I have a hard time planning shopping trips and menus on a regular basis (OK, I've really never even tried it). BUT, I did find this awesome website - http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/ The family is doing the GAPS diet and are totally TF from what I can tell. : I was also looking at the cheeseslave blog last night, and it is great too. I think my biggest challenge is going to be wrangling DH into cooperating with family meals/menus/shopping trips. He is the big one about shopping on a budget, but to him that basically means buying el cheapo ground turkey and canned apples, not creatively eating well within your means...gardening, co-ops, CSAs, trying new recipes/foods (he has a very limited repertoire of preferred foods), ordering in bulk, etc.
My food budget is $50/wk for DH and I to avoid bankruptcy and foreclosure. So far I managed that for the GAPS diet, but nothing is organic. I know, not very TF...but I feel much better on conventional meat/veggies than lots of cheap organic grains, starches and carbs. PM me if you'd like any tips on this.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#16 of 213 Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Has anyone transitioned from SCD to GAPS? We've been doing SCD, and I am doing the GAPS intro for myself now, and am trying to decide whether or not to try the Biokult probiotics, or stay strictly SCD-legal. I can't do dairy though, so I feel like I really need a probiotic supplement. I have just thought only acidophilus for so long, so not sure, but want to do it right. The GAPS stuff really makes a lot of sense for me.

Any perspectives?
Thanks!
#17 of 213 Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi everyone (hi momofmine! ).

We did the SCD/GAPS about a year ago. It worked really well for us, but we didn't follow it %100-- we ate some seaweed, for instance. We didn't do the intro diets very much. Hmm, I don't remember anymore. I have a three-week-old baby no and I am pretty foggy-headed.

Anyway, we were on that diet for about a year and the boys and I were thriving, so we felt like we were healed and we stopped doing the diet. We gradually added grains back in, and dairy, but we kept our diet low-carb. It worked out okay at first, but now here we are with all of our symptoms right back where they were (well, nearly). Sigh. So we are going back on the GAPS diet-- at least that's the plan-- and we plan to stick to it for several years this time.

I'm a little bit depressed about it. I have a two-year-old and a four-year-old and a newborn. My husband works long hours and goes to school so he isn't here very much. One reason I stopped doing the diet was so I wouldn't have to be constantly cooking/preparing everything from scratch. My oldest son, the 4-year-old, has Asperger's and is extremely picky about his food. I don't know HOW I will do the intro diet for him-- but I want to put him through the proper GAPS intro diet this time so that he can be as healthy as possible. He will probably refuse to eat for a while, and I don't know what will happen then. I have always given in and let him eat something he liked. Plus my youngest is addicted to sweet things like juice and bananas, so he is not going to be a happy camper either. It is a daunting undertaking. I am tired enough with the newborn and I just want to get some sleep, I don't want to be cooking and juicing all day.

I was planning to start the intro diet a week from now, and in the meantime we have been working on getting used to cutting out processed meats, dairy, sugar and grains and grain products. I really need to read the GAPS book more carefully to be ready but I am so exhausted. I also don't have any recipe books either. Although I don't know if I would need them for the intro diet anyway.

Anyway, I guess I will hang out here since I will desperately be needing a support thread. I am doing this rather reluctantly although I absolutely am committed to it and know it is what we need. It was scary watching my boys' health degenerating so fast. So here we go! (BTW, they are already doing so much better. )

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#18 of 213 Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Something that might be helpful to everyone is the new GAPS Guide book. www.gapsguide.com There is also a yahoo group associated with it, as well as a "healing leaky gut with GAPS/BED" yahoo group. I haven't gotten the book yet (no $$), but I am on both of the lists, and learning a lot/not feeling so alone.

#19 of 213 Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks for telling me about the book! I think we will order it.

So we haven't started the intro diet yet, we are just trying to get used to being rid of the grains/sugar/dairy, and wean them off of processed meats (and finish up the last of the hot dogs in the fridge!) Anyway, today I made the boys "pancakes" -- with four eggs, beaten together with a tablespoon of coconut flour and a little touch of vanilla and honey. My four-year-old is SUCH a picky eater and he could not tell the difference from regular pancakes. (Of course, he hasn't had regular pancakes in ages so that made a big difference I'm sure he wouldn't have accepted them otherwise!) We have had to be sneaky with him in order to get him to eat much at all.

I tried the "pancakes" as simply beaten eggs fried lightly in a pan in a circle shape with nothing else added and honestly, that works too-- not quite as well but we might need to do that during the intro diet. (That would be allowed, right?) I think it's probably the only way he would eat eggs.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#20 of 213 Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM

Well I finally broke down and saw an MD yesterday (well DO...) after 5 months of digestive problems. I had blood in my stool for the first time so it scared me. That turned out just to be a hemorrhoid, but he suspects either parasites (I have traveled the world) or IBS. So if a stool sample rules out parasites, he wants me to try a high fiber protocol for a month. If that dosn't work, than a colonoscopy.

At first I was soooo emotional and confused. It seemed high fiber was opposite of GAPS since it is grain-free. But I did clarify with him that I can eat whole foods fiber rather than take Metamucil, so that's good. And as I am researching now, I can do high fiber GAPS. Certain beans and peas are allowed that have more fiber than grains, as well as coconut flour and most veggies.
So I feel better now.

Dunno what I'll do if it turns out to be parasites....

#21 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
he wants me to try a high fiber protocol for a month.
Eeek, I don't know about that. I know that's the conventional thinking, but I have to say that I finally figured out that we do better with LESS fiber, a lot less. Check out The Fiber Menace. I would be wary of doing high fiber.

Hi LTB!
You need to check out the gapsguide.com under the printables section. She has a guide to GAPS underwhelm, which gives some steps for working your way towards the intro. There is also a step by step intro instructions there too. I think you can also look on the GAPS help yahoo group, and see under Files, and they have several things like that out.
NCM does not give a lot of instruction on intro in her book. Basically here's what you do for the beginning: Make a meat or bone broth first. Then start off with the broth, add veggies and cook until very done and tender. Turn it off, add some fresh garlic into the soup. Drink ginger tea between soup. Next step is to add in one raw egg at a time., increasing as she is doing okay with it.

I have found it very hard in the beginning especially, to keep my blood sugar up, and I was exhausted, shaky, etc, until someone said, just eat very frequently for those three days. Like literally every two hours or less if you have to. Gotta run right now but I'll b back tomorrow.
#22 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the links! I always have blood sugar issues (well, now.) I have to eat every couple hours anyway. And I have been eating SO much honey. I know it's too much. So yeah, I'm not looking forward to the intro diet, or the gradual introduction of foods. But I'll deal with that in time.

ETA: I can't find any "GAPS Help" Yahoo group! Can anyone post a link?

#23 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Thanks for the links! I always have blood sugar issues (well, now.) I have to eat every couple hours anyway. And I have been eating SO much honey. I know it's too much. So yeah, I'm not looking forward to the intro diet, or the gradual introduction of foods. But I'll deal with that in time.

ETA: I can't find any "GAPS Help" Yahoo group! Can anyone post a link?
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ec=group&slk=9

I also second the low-fiber recommendations. GAPS has seriously healed DD's constipation issues. The Fiber Menace website is fabulous: www.fibermenace.com

#24 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 04:45 PM

I feel like my problem with the early intro is getting enough fat. You add in things like olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee later on down the line, whereas those things are allowed on the SCD earlier on. I have found that I really do better with less fiber, less carbs, as long as I am getting plenty of fat. But how to get enough fat on the early intro?
#25 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I feel like my problem with the early intro is getting enough fat. You add in things like olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee later on down the line, whereas those things are allowed on the SCD earlier on. I have found that I really do better with less fiber, less carbs, as long as I am getting plenty of fat. But how to get enough fat on the early intro?
From what I've read, you're supposed to eat all the fat from the broth... so can you just use fattier cuts of meat? For instance, we seem to get a much fattier stock when we use a combination of chicken thighs and backs, rather than a whole chicken. Lamb shoulder blade chops are reasonably priced, and tend to have a lot of fat. Marrow bones would also be great... I can't find nutritional information, but IIRC marrow is very high-fat and calorically dense.
#26 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Yeah, she talks about using the marrow bones. We buy a whole cow/lamb/pig at a time, so I've just been trying to use what I have in the freezer for cuts of meat. I think I do need to try and go get some marrow bones and fattier cuts. I have definitely been eating all the fat in the stock. I guess the key is just eating more and more frequently early on.
#27 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM

We have a similar situation; we still have a bunch of grass-fed beef in the freezer from last summer, but it's very lean, so it's hard to work it into our current way of eating. I'm going to have to work on expanding my repertoire of SCD-legal rich sauces.

Under the circumstances, do you think it would be permissible to just use what you have, and add extra fat (from the same or a similar animal) to the broth? It's not always easy to find high quality animal fat, but we've bought beef tallow from US Wellness online, and I've seen duck fat at Whole Foods.
#28 of 213 Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM

You know that is a great idea. I was wondering about duck fat, because the TF people talk about duck fat quite a bit. I will look for it at WF. Thanks!
#29 of 213 Old 03-20-2009, 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=momofmine;13392069]Eeek, I don't know about that. I know that's the conventional thinking, but I have to say that I finally figured out that we do better with LESS fiber, a lot less. Check out The Fiber Menace. I would be wary of doing high fiber.

Yeah, I know I have been researching all of that and am confused and somewhat worried. Even on WebMD (very mainstream) the suggested diets for IBS and ulcerative colitis seem to be the opposite. High fiber for IBS and low fiber for ulcerative colitis. But to me, they are both digestive disorders....

I am just willing to try it for a month since it was a Dr's suggestion that didn't involve drugs or a colonoscopy! I am still going to do it grain free. If it dosn't help or makes it worse, I will go full gear into a low-fiber GAPS diet.

But now the main thing is I got my food allergy test back. And I very allergic to eggs! I eat them all the time and they were my favorite food after cheese! Also, the test confirmed I am very allergic to dairy, so the Naturopath said I should avoid even ghee for now. I am so devastated. I don't know what I will do eating literally nothing but meat, produce, nuts and honey.

Part of me is doubting. I am down to 98 lbs and part of me says I should just eat any whole food I am not allergic to and that sounds good to me to keep my weight up. I didn't test allergic to ANY grain..surprisingly including gluten, nut or legume.
Then again I want to gear up for the long haul, knowing in a year or two I could introduce dairy and eggs back.....

#30 of 213 Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Wow, I don't know how tall you are, but 98 pounds does sound pretty skinny. Are you having D and losing weight? I don't know, it's so hard to know. My 9 yr old was actually losing weight too, and I was trying to do all the things like pack in the fat, trying to up his calories, and he had an absolutely voracious appetite. He would seriously eat more than my husband at one meal. But he had actually lost several pounds and he did not have any cushion to lose, he was already very skinny, and that is not normal for 9 yrs old to lose weight. I feel he just wasn't absorbing his food, because of the whole gut bacteria imbalance. But we started SCD, and he has gained steadily since. He has been on SCD for about 2 and 1/2 months, and he has gained EIGHT pounds!! :

And he is still eating mostly meat and produce. He eats no dairy, no nuts, (we've done nuts a few times, but not on a regular basis yet), no raw fruits or vegetables except for bananas and avocadoes and sucking on lemon or lime wedges. He can have eggs though. It is amazing to me though, because I am losing weight and he is gaining. Although they are both eating a lot of bananas. We are just going really slow with adding things in, and I am putting off dairy and raw stuff.

So, my point is that sometimes what you'd think might cause more weight loss can actually help weight gain if you are addressing the problem and that is what your body needs to do (whether you need to lose or gain weight).

Have you tried the SCD or GAPS intro yet at all? I just really think that is key to the healing, as opposed to jumping straight into the diet. I mean, really, we did the SCD from the intro and went very slowly, and he has steadily gained this whole time.

Have you tried any enzymes? S boulardii?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page