Kefir grain question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually keep my kefir grains in the milk that was fermented, because I don't continuously brew kefir milk. Is this ok, or will it harm the grains for some reason?
#2 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM

Milk that was fermented? Do you mean kefir or something else? If you need to store your grains for no more than a few weeks, just put them in fresh milk and stick the whole thing in the fridge. The cold retards the culturing process and buys you some time. If you need longer term storage, you might consider drying your grain (I've heard they can last this way for 18 months). Just rinse the grain very well with filtered water and lay it on a paper towel, parchment paper, etc. (unbleached is important) and let it dry for 3-5 days depending on humidity.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

I mean, I keep my grains in the fresh milk which turns to kefir and then just stick the whole thing in the fridge and use the kefir as needed. Then add fresh milk when time comes to make kefir again. Does that make sense? Is there any problem doing this?
#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 AM

I've read a bunch about kefir tonight, and I didn't come across an answer to this.

I have a question that's still unanswered as well: when I wasn't doing well on milk products, I threw my kefir grains in a jar of water and stored it in a part of my fridge that gets very cold (many items freeze there). I wonder if the grains are still okay. Probably best to try them out, I guess!
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
I mean, I keep my grains in the fresh milk which turns to kefir and then just stick the whole thing in the fridge and use the kefir as needed. Then add fresh milk when time comes to make kefir again. Does that make sense? Is there any problem doing this?
In the long run, you could have issues with the grains starving if you aren't using the kefir/adding new milk fast enough but milk kefir grains are very resilient so it's likely just fine.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana View Post
I've read a bunch about kefir tonight, and I didn't come across an answer to this.

I have a question that's still unanswered as well: when I wasn't doing well on milk products, I threw my kefir grains in a jar of water and stored it in a part of my fridge that gets very cold (many items freeze there). I wonder if the grains are still okay. Probably best to try them out, I guess!
I've never tried freezing myself but I've heard you can do it. Please let us know though if they are okay--I'm always interested in new info!

#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
In the long run, you could have issues with the grains starving if you aren't using the kefir/adding new milk fast enough but milk kefir grains are very resilient so it's likely just fine.
Hmmm, so if I added a dash of molasses once in a while would that keep them from starving, do you think???
#8 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Hmmm, so if I added a dash of molasses once in a while would that keep them from starving, do you think???
I have no idea. I'd be cautious adding anything but milk to them unless you have a back-up set (just in case it damages them).

#9 of 9 Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I make kefir, then I put it in the fridge to chill (the finished kefir, unstrained) & usually strain it the next day directly into the blender. BUT, every once in a while we take a break from kefir & it's sat in the back of the fridge, in finished kefir for up to 3 months or so & has been fine every time.

When I finally do take it out, I strain the grains out of the kefir (& usually just dump that kefir because it's SO sour) & add fresh milk & start culturing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana View Post
I wouldn't store them in water next time. I'd just add some fresh milk to the grains & store them in that for up to 3 months.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page