changing seasons, I need a change in menu! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2009, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is anyone else feeling bored with winter and winterry food? lets share our yummy spring meal plans here. or if you are like me and cant think of anything perhaps we will find some new inspiration.

i live in the great white north of MN so unfortunately we don't have any fresh seasonal produce except onions. still, i feel like i need a change in what i have been cooking, i can smell that something akin to Spring might be coming... or maybe 11 inches of snow!lol! i have a lot of good food in my pantry and fridge but cant seem to feel exited about it, you know? it may have something to do with the fact that i am healing from a case of mastitis (which if you have ever had it you know how much that sucks).

im looking for healing, nourishing fresh tasting foods, maybe something spicy and fruity that reminds me spring will eventually come.

tonight i made split pea soup with carrots, onions, garlic, chicken broth, picnic ham and fried bacon, topped with sourdough croutons and creme fraiche. it was really good but im at a loss of what to make for the remaining days of the week!

here is what i have to cook with:

fresh- italian pork sausage (bulk, not links), also genoa salami and a cooked picnic bone-in ham

frozen- grassfed ground beef, ground veal, chicken thighs, a whole turkey (14lbs! yikes), ground pork

veggies- carrots, various potatoes including sweet potatoes, onions, cippolini onions, green onions, leeks, fresh rosemary and sage, garlic, fresh ginger

fruit- way too many bananas, pink lady organic apples, naval oranges, limes, a lot of lemons, mango, pears, texas grapefruits

cheeses of many kinds, a french double creme brie, raw local cheddar, fresh mozarella, ricotta, parmegiano reggiano, cream cheese too

whole, local, organic grass-fed but pasturized milk, vanilla keffir, grassfed local org. butter, eggs, plain whole milk yogurt, maple syrup, palm sugar, various condiments

dry pinto beans and black beans, pasta, tomatoes sauce and canned tomatoes diced

i also have sprouted ww flour, almond flour, cornmeal, masa harrina, dates, sourdough starter in the fridge, walnuts, almonds (soaking as we speak for crispy nut makin), raisins, dark chocolate chips, sucanat, raw honey, org. dehydrated cane juice crystals, crystalized ginger chunks

anyone have some suggestions on what i should cook?:

User Tag List