organic valley pastured butter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
why it says limited edition may-sept and it's in stores the last few weeks-- is it just global warming and their wrapper didn't catch up or what?
i compared color of that butter with the raw butter from organic pastures and with straus and clover and they all look the same to me. a lightish yellow so far as i can tell. maybe over the summer it will be different?
any ideas?
thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 AM

We use it for our table butter (we use "plain" organic for cooking), and all I can really tell you is that it does actually taste quite a bit different (better). But, we don't do raw butter, so I can't make that comparison.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM

I saw this at my Kroger of all places the other day and I was surprised to see it again. I bought a lot of it last summer. I agree with Arwyn, it does taste better and I don't use it for cooking, just spreading. It's pretty tasty on popcorn too! I don't buy raw butter either so I can't compare.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM

I think I remember seeing somewhere that they freeze it so they can sell it all year but it's only fresh May-September. I really need to try it. I just have a hard time justifying the cost these days. I like Arwyn's idea though of using it as table butter and then something else to cook with.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM

its on sale at my coop now for 2.69 for 8 oz, vs 4$, yikes! i think they freeze it, thats what another company here in MN does, called Pastureland.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

ok cool. i was wondering if that's what it was. i'm still surprised it isn't more yellow then.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM

I'm a little confused here...I saw the Organic Valley Pastured cultured butter has both the 'regular' kind and the 'European Style'...what is the difference? The European style is wrapped in a gold foil whereas the regular type was in the boxed carton.

I couldn't tell from reading the labels or the ingredients, it says both are pastured fed, and both have cultures, except that the European one is from 'Swiss cultures', is that much different than US (I'm assuming) cultures?

Crunchy city momma to DS Adler (7/4/07) and VBAC success with DD Darby (10/31/09)
Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 AM

I live in Portland. I normally buy Rumiano butter b/c it's more local than Organic Valley and it's available through Azure. Rumiano is in Humbolt Co. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ma...ldt_County.svg

However, tonight I ran out of butter so DH bought Strauss (which we used to buy when we lived in N. CA.) The Strauss was much more yellow than the Rumiano.

Ironically, in researching Rumiano tonight, I discovered they actually supply Organic Valley.

I'm guessing Rumiano has to supplement more than Strauss right now b/c of location/weather.

Anyone know how concerned I should be?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 AM

what do you all think about President french butter? it is cultured and very yellow and says it has more vit. a then the ov pastured butter (8% in ov on label and 15% dv on president label) which leads me to believe the french butter is also from pastured cows?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMom View Post
I'm a little confused here...I saw the Organic Valley Pastured cultured butter has both the 'regular' kind and the 'European Style'...what is the difference? The European style is wrapped in a gold foil whereas the regular type was in the boxed carton.

I couldn't tell from reading the labels or the ingredients, it says both are pastured fed, and both have cultures, except that the European one is from 'Swiss cultures', is that much different than US (I'm assuming) cultures?

i think there's regular OV butter, european style in gold foil, and then limited edition pasture butter in green foil. i think the first two are atleast partially grass fed, but the pasture butter is specifically from cows eating only rapidly growing summer grass (may-september).

last week i found some on sale for $1.99/8oz.!!! i bought 10 lb.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
what do you all think about President french butter? it is cultured and very yellow and says it has more vit. a then the ov pastured butter (8% in ov on label and 15% dv on president label) which leads me to believe the french butter is also from pastured cows?
i love this butter. i have no idea if it is pastured or not but i remember my french housemate in college had some at her house when i went to visit and it was so good i ate a ton!! kind of like how i eat the anchor butter now

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiajenn View Post
However, tonight I ran out of butter so DH bought Strauss (which we used to buy when we lived in N. CA.) The Strauss was much more yellow than the Rumiano.

I'm guessing Rumiano has to supplement more than Strauss right now b/c of location/weather.

Anyone know how concerned I should be?
the owner of strauss came to an organic agriculture class i had in college to guest lecture. he was pretty much everything you would want in an organic dairy farmer. ever since then i've made it a point to buy the brand. though i know in california they don't graze all year long. i'm sure they get hay over the winter... not sure about grain.

eh. who needs a signature?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:21 AM

what national stores carry anchor?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 AM

i found it on sale at grocery outlet

www.groceryoutlets.com

it looks like they are a west coast chain, ca, nv, id, or, az... and i know what they have varies from store to store, like our two stores in reno carry different things. but the anchor butter was 1.99/8 oz, which is much better than any other pasture butter i can get here. i bought about 10 pounds and just sent my dh back for another 15 packages

eh. who needs a signature?

User Tag List