Quinoa Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have just discovered the wonders of quinoa! Now I need a way to cook it besides just boiling it and eating it plain. My sister who does NT eats hers with maple syrup and cinnamon because it reminds her of when we were little and ate white rice with milk, sugar, and cinnamon (real healthy huh?).

Any other ideas out there?

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I add it to my chili instead of rice.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#3 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 07:12 PM

After soaking it overnight, I add garlic and onion and simmer it in chicken stock for 30 minutes. Then I add nutritional yeast and raw cashews, sometimes chickpeas, too. Oh goodness, this is my favorite concoction!!! I even make it for potlucks and dinner parties, and it's always a hit!
#4 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi'sMom View Post
After soaking it overnight, I add garlic and onion and simmer it in chicken stock for 30 minutes. Then I add nutritional yeast and raw cashews, sometimes chickpeas, too. Oh goodness, this is my favorite concoction!!! I even make it for potlucks and dinner parties, and it's always a hit!
That sounds yummy.

I use quinoa instead of rice often. So if I cook vegetables indian style, intsaed of serving them on rice, I serve them on quinoa. It took me a while to get used to this but now it's not an issue. I use buckwheat like this too. Though, buckwhat is strongly associated with pancakes for me so it was hard to get used to it being savory.
#5 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 PM

i soak it overnight, then cook it in broth.
i cook some lentils or any other legume.
sautee some in season veggies.
mix the quinoa/lentils + veggies + some cheese.
add a couple of beaten eggs.
put it in the oven until the egg cooks.
sometimes i put mashed potatoes on top
hmmmmm!
#6 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yummy! I ended up using it tonight in place of rice underneath some grilled pork with an apple and broth reduction on top. I liked it better than the rice! Thanks for the other ideas, I'll have to try them out this week.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 18 Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I use it instead of couscous in a Mediterranean type salad. Plain ol' cooked quinoa, with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, then a dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Oh and crumbled feta cheese to top! That's the best part : It's yummy warm or cold.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#8 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM

We love baked chicken pieces on a bed of quinoa, sliced onions, and you could probably add lentils. Place chicken on top, drizzle with Olive oil, salt and pepper, add broth (2C?) and bake until chicken is done This is one of our easy dinners that takes no time to prepare.

S & Yrainbow1284.gif (Vermont Civil Union 7/8/03) DS1 Holdennovaxnocirc.gif (4/25/07) and two in heaven  angel.gif1/10 &  angel.gif5/10 our rainbow1284.gif is here  DS2 Keegan(5/23/11)homebirth.jpg

#9 of 18 Old 03-16-2009, 05:44 PM

I sprout mine, then cook it in the crockpot steel-cut-oats-style. I eat it in the morning with blueberries and butter. Super yummy. :

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#10 of 18 Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 PM

I use the tsampa or traditional Tibetan barley method on quinoa and it works great. That is - I soak the quinoa overnight, then toast it in a dry pan. It goes through a couple of color changes before turning a golden brown. I either eat it as a snack as is, or grind it into quinoa flour. As is, it tastes sweet and crunchy, kind of like those puffy, super-sweetened box cereals, only it's real food.
#11 of 18 Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM

This is my FAVORITE recipe for quinoa, best in summer with fresh corn:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...nd-Mint-235480

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 18 Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 PM

I cook it with milk and a handful each of grated carrot, apple & coconut then stir in a little vanilla. It's good hot with butter & milk, or coconut milk, and yummy chilled too.

We also use it in grain salads, our favorite is tomato/basil/balsamic.
#13 of 18 Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 PM

I saute onions in the pot I'll cook the quinoa in. then I take quinoa and some dried fruit (raisins, currents, etc), and cook them in broth (with the onions and their fat). while that is going I toast pine nuts, and when its done, toss those in. Add some salt and pepper. Its super yummy. can't wait to come back and read all these other ways to make it.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#14 of 18 Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM

I make quinoa taboule, it's better then traditional taboule in my opinion. Just add tomato, cucumbers, fresh parsley, fresh mint, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt&pepper to cooked and cooled quinoa. YUMMY!!! I love the other ways people have cooked w/it too. I would have never thought to use it as a hot breakfast cereal. YUM!:

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#15 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 03:45 AM

You can make a really delicious pilaf with a mixture of half quinoa, half millet. I usually find millet to be kind of nasty, and quinoa just so-so, but it turns out that the flavors of the two grains balance each other very well.

This recipe uses a saucepan, but I've always made mine in an electric steamer. In any case, the basic directions are simple: use twice as much liquid as grain, and cook it for 35-40 minutes (this is for unsoaked grains; soaked would likely be quicker). Of course, you can use different cooking liquids, seasonings, vegetables, fruits, and nuts to suit your taste.
#16 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM

I'm thinking I'd like to come over and eat at your houses! Every.single.thing sounds SOOO good! Thanks for posting, because I have a ton of quinoa that I never know what to do with.
#17 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
This is my FAVORITE recipe for quinoa, best in summer with fresh corn:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...nd-Mint-235480
P.S. Their cooking method seems more complicated, but I actually prefer it so I don't have to worry about the ratio of water to quinoa if I have an odd amount (and the right cooking time as a result), or whether it's going to cook to the pan if I forget about it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#18 of 18 Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM

I put some in a pot of chicken soup the other day and last night I used the rest up in place of bread crumbs in a baked salmon loaf.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page