Everything one needs to know about stomach acid - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 06-01-2009, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so interesting! I have been taking Zypan for stomach acid issues for a few months, I recently took an iodine test and was pretty deficient so I am supplementing with Standard Process iodine. I did pass the beet test last week....hmmm. Trying to put it all together.
#32 of 54 Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 AM

DS (2yo and autistic) failed the beet test today. I just started him a few days ago on fancy liquid vitamins that are supposed to be extremely bioavailable, and I ordered kefir grains and yogurt culture today (I think that will be easier for him than fermented veggies).

One thing I just read is that food sits in your stomach for quite a while before the HCl is actually released. In the past, natural enzymes in our food and from chewing would break down the food up to 75%, so HCl would have an easier job to do. Overprocessed and overcooked foods don't have active enzymes, and don't require much chewing, so this first part doesn't work very well. That seems to be part of how taking digestive enzymes and fermented foods can be so helpful - then you don't need as much HCl to end up with well digested food.

That said, I think HCl helps activate pepsin, which is the major enzyme to break down protein - so I should be able to help my son's casein intolerance by supporting HCl production.

Now to try the beet test with kefir (I want to see what happens now, and then try it again after a month or so of trying to support his stomach environment).

And for those of you asking on the beet test, I sliced them thin, tossed them in oil and salt, and roasted in the oven. Yummy! For DS, I chopped up the roasted stuff and cooked it into a fritter with some carrot and egg - so he probably got less than a teaspoon of beet, and had distinctly red/orange pee from that little.

ETA: EEP!!! WhoMe, you sent me to a thread in a new forum!!! (That's just what I need, another forum to monitor, LOL).

However, betcha this is just the place to ask all my newbie questions about soaking grains and sourdough and stuff...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#33 of 54 Old 06-10-2009, 07:58 AM

I passed the beet test twice. I roasted 3 medium beats in the oven, and then ate 1.5 of them (thinking I would give DH the beet test with the other 1.5).

I couldn't believe no pink pee! So, I ended up 12 hours later eating DH's share of the beets. That time, i peed into a white plastic cup and scrutinized under strong light. Nope!

But I am fairly certain my stomach acid and enzymes are wacky.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#34 of 54 Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Yeah, sorry, new subforum. They'll set you up with soaking info for sure, though. That's really helpful information that just a teaspoon or so was enough to change his pee! We pass (well dd and I, not dh ) over here so I can't do much experimenting.

Leigh, there are a bunch of places to decolor the beets, so my conclusion here was that passing doesn't tell you much - unless you failed, worked on HCl, then passed.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#35 of 54 Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#36 of 54 Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 AM

copying from the iodine thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
So did I mention on this thread or another one that hypothyroidism is connected to low gastrin. Low gastrin can cause reflux (gastrin causes your sphincters in your stomach to open and close. It also triggers stomach acid formation.) I don't know why hypothyroidism causes low gastrin but it seems to be pretty common knowledge that they are connected.

If your gastrin is too high/doesn't fall you end up with a motility issue. Your stomach doesn't empty because the sphincter doesn't open. This can cause reflux when your stomach gets over full. We think this is what is happening with my LO right now. If you have too little gastrin you will have reflux because the sphincter on the top doesn't close properly and acid can splash up. Also you may have fast motility and lots of undigested foods passing through your system both because the sphincters aren't closing and because you aren't making much acid to do the first job of breaking food down.

: I love figuring things out.

For now I'm massaging stomach 36 (I think that is the right number, it is right below the knee on the front) on dd to help get her stomach working better, testing her iodine, and giving her a homeopathc pancreas/metoric iron. Also if we still have issues I may try giving her an antacid 2 hours after a meal to see if dropping her stomach acid levels may trigger her lower sphincter to open and get things moving along.
gabbyraja likes this.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#37 of 54 Old 07-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Sub

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#38 of 54 Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know how to introduce betaine hcl and how to figure out the dose you need? I know it's been mentioned but wasn't really described.

Also, is there a particular brand that anyone would recommend?
#39 of 54 Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Bumping.

Pat

I have a blog.
#40 of 54 Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM

My mom broke her arm recently and has just started physical therapy. Her PT asked her when she went grey because going grey in your thirties is a precursor to osteoporosis. I thought that was so interesting!

So, I've got many more grey hairs then I would like and I've been taking HCL, but maybe not enough. It really does make sense that I'm not absorbing my food properly but I don't know if it's really a stomach acid problem or if it is somewhere else down the line. I've also heard that it has something to do with poor assimilation in the small intestine but I don't really know what to do about that.

I'm not really getting a "fizzing" feeling, I'm taking 3 per meal right now. When I first started taking it I had horrible, HORRIBLE gas. Couldn't sleep at night, bloated, farts that would drive the cats out of the room. I had to take a break for a few days because I couldn't take the stink! It's fine now and that never happens. Anyone know what that could be from?

I really want to do everything I can to keep my bones strong. My grandma has such horrible osteoporosis now and she did everything "right." Lots of milk, weight bearing exercise, etc... Until I starting learning about stomach acid, I didn't really think there was anything that I would do. I just thought it was genetic. Now I feel hopeful but still at a loss of what to do!

Thanks!
#41 of 54 Old 11-29-2009, 11:18 PM

so how do you take HCL with different sized meals? I drink a smoothie in the morning and I've been nervous to take it since it doesn't really seem like a meal. Would you take the same amount? Maybe just one or something?
#42 of 54 Old 12-02-2009, 01:19 PM

#43 of 54 Old 05-26-2010, 03:00 PM

I just wanted to say that I pulled out a grey hair yesterday that was grey at the tip and brown at the root!

This was so encouraging to me because my grandma and mom BOTH have osteoporosis now (my grandma very badly and my mom had 2 fractures this year). With the connection between grey hair and bone loss I am very happy that at least one of my hairs decided to go back to brown!!!!
#44 of 54 Old 05-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
I just wanted to say that I pulled out a grey hair yesterday that was grey at the tip and brown at the root!

This was so encouraging to me because my grandma and mom BOTH have osteoporosis now (my grandma very badly and my mom had 2 fractures this year). With the connection between grey hair and bone loss I am very happy that at least one of my hairs decided to go back to brown!!!!
So have you been taking hcl? I did about 1.5 bottles of NOW brand and I think my stomach acid is good now - I also started taking 30mg/day of zinc. I did have to work up to the max of 6 tablets/meal before I got the fizzy feeling but I only needed to stay there for several days before I worked back down.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#45 of 54 Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 PM

I have been, but not very consistently. I never got a fizzy feeling. I've been trying to do a lot more fermented foods. I drink kefir pretty much every day now (milk or water or both) and try to do other fermented things too.
Hope it keeps up!
#46 of 54 Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 PM

I've never heard of HCL being connected to bone loss. Up until now I thought it was lack of vitamin D, K2 and magnesium and phosphorus.

I've had some grey hairs revert back too, just recently noticing this. I wish I knew why so I could help the process along... hmmm stomach acid huh?
#47 of 54 Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I've never heard of HCL being connected to bone loss. Up until now I thought it was lack of vitamin D, K2 and magnesium and phosphorus.

I've had some grey hairs revert back too, just recently noticing this. I wish I knew why so I could help the process along... hmmm stomach acid huh?
Well, I don't think anyone directly connected HCL to bones but I think it would make sense. The reason that I made that connection was because I've been hearing a lot about the correlation between early grey hair and a predisposition to osteoporosis. It may be wishful thinking but I am hopeful!
#48 of 54 Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post

Yeah, you need hcl to absorb minerals so as you improve stomach acid status you improve mineral status.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#49 of 54 Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Here's a very nice page on it :

http://www.eczema.net/hydrochloric.html

#50 of 54 Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Here's a very nice page on it :

http://www.eczema.net/hydrochloric.html
That's a really interesting article!! So, I wonder if taking extra potassium is a good idea?
#51 of 54 Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Reviving this very old thread, because I'm intrigued. I failed the beet test big time about 6 weeks ago. I was peeing pink for days. I've been working on ferments, kombucha, kefir, homemade yogurt and supporting detox on the way. We've also just added a Super Enzyme supp with meals or whenever I remember. I ate 4 or 5 beets yesterday with just a tiny bit of colored pee once or twice! Then it returned to normal today. Woohoo! That gives me hope that I'm doing something right. Any other thoughts or updates from the original posters from so long ago? I know I recognize many of the SNs.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#52 of 54 Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM

still struggling with my digestion.... bumping this up!
#53 of 54 Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm glad this got bumped up because I've been searching for answers to my postpartum tummy trouble and I think this might be a way to help! I'm going to get some beets!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#54 of 54 Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

I know this thread is sort of old, but I see sort of recent activity on it. I also have post partum digestion issues. 8 months after my son was born I had horrible reflux which led to panic attacks. The panic attacks are gone now thank goodness. I was diagnosed with gastritis and reflux esophagitis almost a year ago. But within the last few months I get this aching pain a few inches below my right ribcage, could that be gall bladder pain? 

I recently gave up dairy, except for Ghee and have felt sick and my reflux is bad and I have no idea why. I have been popping my husbands TUMS even though I know how bad that is. After reading some stuff today and finding this thread I decided to give my HCL a try again because I had this terrible refluxy burping episode after dinner. I only took one and I still burped a few times but it subsided ALOT. I worried about taking HCL with gastritis but now I realize that gastritis can be caused by low stomach acid. I had never heard of the beet test and now I have to try it! Does anyone else have gastritis too, or just reflux issues? Has anyone improved greatly after the HCL?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page