how long can kefir last in fridge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ack! I stuck my kefir in the fridge oh about 4 months ago and it just sat in the back. Is it dead? Should I just buy more?
#2 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I don't have any in the fridge currently, but when I did, I would sometimes forget about it for months at a time

Mine never actually died, I would get a new batch of milk going and it would take 1 or 2 rounds to "wake" the grains back up.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#3 of 8 Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Milk kefir grains are pretty resilient. I'd put them in new milk and see how they do. As the PP mentioned, it might take a couple of rounds to revive them.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 AM

I am so glad to read this thread. :
I was a bit embarrassed to ask this question, but mine have been in the fridge for several months too.
It is hard enough to make raw yogurt, fresh sourdough bread, bone broths, fermented veggies, and chase around a toddler in cloth while pregnant. Add kefir to that, and forget it! I really should have no excuses since dh work on an organic dairy farm.

Off to wake them up!
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh yea, I've left mine in the fridge for months - they always bounce back I've had the same grains for 3 or 4 years.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 8 Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM

this is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. How can kefir grains be stored?
#7 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaW View Post
this is good to know because I was wondering the same thing. How can kefir grains be stored?
I was wondering this as we are going on vacation for 2 weeks. The info I've found online still talks about giving the grains new milk every few days even in the refrigerator.

So can I just put my grains in milk in the fridge and the revive them after our vacation?
#8 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM

Oh yeah baby!!!! After reading this thread, I pulled out my kefir grains that were in the fridge for many months. I rinsed them in pure water, and put milk on them. This was last night, and this morning, it kefired!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page