Coconut milk kefir recipe w/water kefir grains - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have one? Mostly just wondering if I just add the grains or if I need to add sugar? Thanks

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Bump, 'cause my kefir grains are lonely!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM

It's amazing to me that you posted this yesterday because I was going to post it then, but got busy and forgot! I'm waiting patiently for someone to impart wisdom.

-Sarah : mom to DD (4/05) : and DS (3/07) : Urban homesteading in Eastern Iowa
and : for a new little one in 2010!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:48 PM

You actually want to use dairy kefir grains with coconut milk. They work beautifully. Here's a post on my blog on making coconut kefir: http://culturesforhealth.com/blog/?p=182.

Although I've never technically tried it myself, the nature of coconut milk would lead me to believe you will likely damage your water kefir grains by placing them in coconut milk. Dairy kefir grains are more versatile than water kefir grains. For example, you can convert them to be able to culture juice but water kefir grains won't work in milk. For water kefir grains, stick to sugar water and juice.

ETA: Edited to add that Dom's kefir site does say that over time you can convert water kefir grains to milk but I've never known anyone who's managed to make it work. If you are going to experiment, be sure to only use part of your water kefir grains so you don't accidentally kill all your grains.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 06-20-2010, 11:44 AM

I tried the link in the last post and it doesn't seem to be live anymore. I'm unsuccessful at finding it by doing a search. Can someone point me to how to make coconut milk kefir with milk grains please?

thanks,
leela
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am the original poster and I did make a few batches of coconut milk kefir with milk kefir grains. I didn't add anything and it kefired fine. I did it just like milk kefir and it was tangy and yummy, I think it may have taken slightly less time to kefir if I remember correctly. I accidentally blended my kefir grains up in a smoothie and didn't go through the trouble of finding more so I only did those few batches.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Are you guys talking about canned coconut milk?
because sometimes people refer to the fresh coconut water as milk, so just wondering.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
Are you guys talking about canned coconut milk?
because sometimes people refer to the fresh coconut water as milk, so just wondering.
Yes, canned.

User Tag List