How much vit K is in BO? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know? I can't find any info on the website where I order mine. I am concerned about consuming too much vit K during pregnancy since I tend to get pre-eclampsia which is a blood clotting disorder. A recent study suggested that taking blood thinners during pregnancy actually reduces the chances of getting pre-e so I certainly don't want to do the opposite and make my blood clot even more. I think I may have over done it last pregnancy because my midwife was having me take alfalfa which clots the blood to avoid pp bleeding. I was also taking CLO+BO at the same time not even knowing how much vit K was in either supplement.
#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 PM

K isn't simply a blood clotter. It prevents nosebleeds in my son, without it, if he's taking cod liver oil, he tends to get nosebleeds at night. Look into it more, I _thought_ K normalized clotting, so it could help some people who are off in either direction.

There's an old thread in which we tried to figure out how much K2 was in butter oil, it had a lot of guesswork because it's not really measured. It's a fairly long thread, 2 or 3 pages I think, and had Activator X in it quite a bit (or search for teaspoon and gram, we had to do a lot of conversions).

eta: obviously I don't remember what the conclusion of it all was. But I'm also not sure if anybody knows how much K2 pregnant women should take, since it works somewhat differently than K1, which I think is all anyone has measured during pregnancy.
#3 of 4 Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM

The calculations in the other thread are interesting, but they're based on a lot of assumptions, for instance"

- Vitamin K2 is the same thing as "Activator X."
- Price's estimate of 50x more Activator X in the highest vs. lowest samples is accurate for all butter, everywhere.
- The butter that was tested for the K2 chart had the lowest possible amount of Vitamin K2.
- The commercially available butter oil has the highest possible amount of Activator X.

I tend to think there's good reason to doubt all of the above. Until someone actually measures the amount of vitamin K2 in butter oil, it's a wide open question. And, as Tanya said, we really don't know how much of this vitamin is optimal for pregnancy anyway.

For what it's worth, my approach to this question would be completely different. Butter oil is a concentrated form of a natural food product that people eat anyway. During pregnancy, would you avoid eating 4 tsp/day of butter made from cows milked in June? Or 2 oz. of cheese, which has an equivalent amount of butterfat? If not, I'd be comfortable with the standard dose of butter oil.
#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Hummingmom, you mentioned this a while back but life got busy and I didn't get back to ask. Is there another theory on Price's Activator X out there, or do you just not want to be too hasty in assuming Masterjohn's right? Are there any articles out there discussing alternate theories? I thought only the WAPF cared about Price, and I haven't heard anything else from them (although I don't get the newsletter or anything). TIA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page