daycare food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 11 months old and I am thinking of going back to work when he will be 14 months old.
I am really scared of what they feed kids in daycares. They give them toasts, bagels, pasteurized milk, etc.
I am wondering if anybody is in my situation and if you found a solution. Can I make him food to bring to daycare ?
Thanks for your help
#2 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 02:43 AM

I was an assistant at one of Seattle's highly regarded CDC's before I had my daughter & the food was revolting.

We had a few concious parents who made their own food arrangements for their children & received a discount on their tuition. They would stock snacks for their kid in the classroom & pack lunches.

It's really difficult s Even in a "great" center, there were still plenty of mistakes. Lactose intolerant children given milk or string cheese by a floater... babies fed undiluted juice... ugh.

Good luck!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#3 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 AM

My daycare center requires that we bring all of our kids' meals, which I am a-okay with. I say if you're paying the big bucks to send your kid there, they should do whatever you want them to. Definitely though, food should be a topic in the daycare interview.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#4 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 AM

I would suggest finding a daycare, probably a home-based daycare, that will accept the food that you make and get a tuition discount. If they are doing a meal program, that might be more difficult, so one that does home-cooked meals I imagine would be better. I'm planning on opening my own home daycare business and will be flexible with this sort of thing, and otherwise, I plan to serve traditional foods that I make myself.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#5 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM

My sister directed a daycare for years and she got several folks who had dietary regulations for religious reasons. They brought in their own food for their children. The food that the center bought was atrocious, but that is what they could afford. The only problem she ran into was the child with the different food would often refuse to eat and want what the other children had. I wouldn't rule out that if you aren't feeding your child the diet for religious reasons that he wouldn't get food every once in awhile that you wouldn't approve of. I believe most of them would give it to him anyway because they will feel sorry for him.
This is why you must really go all out when researching where to take your child for daycare. You want to find a place that you can trust and keeps an eye on their employees.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#6 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
I would suggest finding a daycare, probably a home-based daycare, that will accept the food that you make and get a tuition discount.
I agree w/ looking for a home-based daycare--I worked at a daycare center and I often worked in rooms where I knew very little a/b the kids and their diets/needs. An in-home daycare provider may be more what you're looking for--and who knows, maybe you've got a TF one in your area and you don't even know it! I'd post to craigslist just to see!

Lauren

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#7 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all your help. I think I will start looking for a home-based daycare now. I doubt I will find a place that serves TF though. I feel like I'm the only one around here that eats that kind of food. Everyone thinks I am weird
#8 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 PM

I work at a daycare and both my daughters attend at a discounted rate. I'm just beginning to get into TF but I'm finding myself caught in this dilemma right now. Our director does all the meal planning and most of the cooking and I'm worried about offending her by bringing meals for the 3 of us. Most of our families are lower income so the meals they eat at daycare really are the best ones they get during the week and she (director) does the best she can with our budget. We have a lot of fresh fruits and veggies but they always accompany something like fish sticks, chicken nuggets, and other over processed stuff. Snacks aren't great either.

I don't mean to hijack. Just commiserating.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#9 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_M View Post
I work at a daycare and both my daughters attend at a discounted rate. I'm just beginning to get into TF but I'm finding myself caught in this dilemma right now. Our director does all the meal planning and most of the cooking and I'm worried about offending her by bringing meals for the 3 of us. Most of our families are lower income so the meals they eat at daycare really are the best ones they get during the week and she (director) does the best she can with our budget. We have a lot of fresh fruits and veggies but they always accompany something like fish sticks, chicken nuggets, and other over processed stuff. Snacks aren't great either.

I don't mean to hijack. Just commiserating.
What about suggesting you guys make your own chicken nuggets? Those bags of nuggets aren't really cheap anyways so I dont think the price would be much different..
I cut up chicken, dip it in egg, put it in a bowl with breadcrumbs then I cook it in a pan on the stove with a bit of olive oil. Tastes amazing and is a little bit healthier.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#10 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 AM

Another thought--if they have a menu where you send your child (or if you can find out what the typical foods served are), maybe you can just send in TF versions of those foods, so your child will have the same/similar options as the other kids. We do this when we go places a lot (w/ food sensitivities we bring our own food a lot.) Even if you sent in batches of things for the folks to keep in the freezer and heat up for your LO when they are serving those specific foods...

Just another thought!

Lauren

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#11 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM

too bad you dont live near me!! I do a in home daycare and NEED kids right now.

When working in a center though, we always had parents bring in food for special diets. I have also had parents in my home daycare bring in stuff (one family was vegan and brought in a bunch of fake meat every week) I usually try and work with familiies though so they dont have to
#12 of 12 Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM

yeah you would love me too the daycares you would like are out there maybe you could post an addonfacebook, craigslist, twitter, my space where ever you have accounts you might get a good surprise, but be upfont about what your lookign for exactly

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page