Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 329 Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my little one! The birthstory is in the Birth Story thread~
Her name is Fia and she was 20 1/2", 7 lbs. 12 oz., with a 13 1/2" head! I love her sooo much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 329 Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Congratulations!!

I just started really wanting that newborn-in-arms feeling again. I think that's making it feel more real

Anyone know anything (or have links) about high fat/high protein/low carb diets for pregnancy? I've been concerned about GD, and I don't react well to carbs, so I've been trying to keep them low - eating how I feel best - but I've put myself in ketosis, it seems. So I want to read up and make sure that I know what I'm doing.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#303 of 329 Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Check out this amazing list of nutrient dense foods from Nourished Kitchen!!! http://nourishedkitchen.com/best-sou...hed+Kitchen%29

Pat

I have a blog.
#304 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

i just found out i'm pregnant. if i had planned to TTC, i would have eaten very strictly TF for 6 months first. but instead of that i've been eating rather poorly for the last 6 months. i'm trying to remind myself that even that rather poorly is much better than i ate prior to conceiving DS. maybe even better than when i conceived dd, i was still working then and ate out a lot. but still i should have been eating so much better! and i've been eating sugar practically daily! i was off my liver pills for 2 months, and my clo for 1 month. i want to cry. (blame it on the pregnancy hormones ) so now i need to totally change my eating. i have been taking the liver and FCLO/BO again for the last few weeks. i will continue with those and probably increase the dosage. i must cut out sugar immediately! better go brew a pot of (herbal) tea right now to help me cope.

eta: i wonder if i should start drinking salt water in the mornings again?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#305 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
I had my little one! The birthstory is in the Birth Story thread~
Her name is Fia and she was 20 1/2", 7 lbs. 12 oz., with a 13 1/2" head! I love her sooo much!
congrats!!!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#306 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well I've been feeling overwhelmed in general. Not eating enough meat, or drinking enough raw milk due to the recent Dungeness Valley recall My body knows the difference between even that and the best substitute- Strauss. Which I have been downing like water in an attempt to rectify feeling bad.
I have a pinched nerve I am trying to heal. My arm goes numb frequently. For awhile it felt better but acted up again. So I am doing lots of bee pollen, b vitamins, trying to eat more meat and make sure I eat the right things instead of reaching for just ezekial bread with butter as an easy out to making an actual meal. The past few days I have felt very emotional so I know I am deficient in some things for sure. So I am trying to fix that as well.

#307 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM

I thought that I had posted something here about natural remedies for PUPPPs, but for some reason it didn't show up. I did find that dandelion root and apis melifica (homeopathic) might help. Any experience or other ideas to share?

#308 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
I thought that I had posted something here about natural remedies for PUPPPs, but for some reason it didn't show up. I did find that dandelion root and apis melifica (homeopathic) might help. Any experience or other ideas to share?
are you getting enough fat? I ask because I know coconut oil saves my skin. I have to eat a lot of it in the fall/winter to not get chapped skin or flake.

have you tried an oatmeal bath? those are suppossed to be soothing.

#309 of 329 Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
are you getting enough fat? I ask because I know coconut oil saves my skin. I have to eat a lot of it in the fall/winter to not get chapped skin or flake.

have you tried an oatmeal bath? those are suppossed to be soothing.
Well I'm not sure, but since it's an allergic reaction basically...I don't know if that would help. I'll try to get more though!

#310 of 329 Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM

Hi! I just found out I was pregnant on New Year's Day! I normally eat pretty whole foods/tf but what with the holidays...you know how it goes! I thought I'd bump this thread up so I had some encouragement We just had a great soup tonight with lots of yummy broth and lots of leftovers in case the pregnancy exhaustion sets in like last time. We are taking over our friends' cowshare while their out of town for a couple of months, but unfortunately the health authority just shut it down (the milk is fine, it's just illegal to sell raw milk here). So no raw milk for the time being. I think my husband's a bit relieved because he's nervous about raw milk and pregnancy. I have to admit I'm a smidgeon nervous as well.

Now I need to go back and read the rest of this read!
#311 of 329 Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Well I've been feeling overwhelmed in general. Not eating enough meat, or drinking enough raw milk due to the recent Dungeness Valley recall
Wow I hadn't even heard about the recall! That is my dairy, too. I get it from a drop point and never see the local news so I hadn't even heard about it. I never had an interruption in delivery. Do you get it in the store? I bet they pulled it from the shelves. Anyway : I love that milk and it sustains me when I don't have time for a full meal. I'm kind of glad I didn't know though because it would make me paranoid and I'm sure DH wouldn't have been thrilled about it with me pregnant

Anyway, I am trying to get back on track but I have been eating way too much white flour (not soaked of course). Bread, cookies, biscotti, pasta..... And I've been eating cold cereal in the mornings a bit too much (Nature's Path at least, but still).

I'm trying to get us back in the swing of things and also cook extra of the good stuff to stock my freezer with meal for after the baby is born. I don't know how I will find time to cook properly! When DD1 was born, a few months before I discovered TF, we relied heavily on take out and organic junk food (like Amy's pizzas and Annie's mac and cheese).

We don't even have the option of take out where we live now, and I want to be more prepared. What is everyone else planning for PP meals?

Hmn... I think I'll go soak some oats for tomorrow morning

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#312 of 329 Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well I'm not sure, but since it's an allergic reaction basically...I don't know if that would help. I'll try to get more though!
I found acupuncture to be miraculous for pregnancy-related itching. Well, and for other things too, but the itching is what sent me there. It was gone in three sessions, with noticeable relief after each one. Hope you feel better soon!!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#313 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

ok, well I had my baby! on January 3rd, at 1:05, by c-section. It was ascheduled c, but it was also my 4th. My body has had trouble laboring in the past and they think it might be due to bicornate uterus. (my babies never drop, I never efface, etc) So I had it planned again. Good news is that usually for moms who have had many surgeries they open you up to find a mess of scar tissue-not with me! The doc was also able to stitch my abdomen closed a bit more, and I feellike my recovery is SO fast this time around!

One thing I am wondering about- this baby was by far my SMALLEST! BUT, I felt the healthiest this time around. My mom had smaller babies( 6 1/2- 7 1/2 pound range) and I thought my last was the tiniest I could have at 8 pounds 12 ounces!

He, Desmond Owen, was 6 pounds 15 ounces!!!!!! My dh and I both looked at each other like "uh, weigh him again!" We were shocked. So my question of the moment has to do with birth size and overall health. The baby nurses great, apgares were fine. I also didn't eat anything except fruit and protein for a bedtime snack except for a few times. I also felt like my thyroid was in better shape and I have a suspicion that I didn't gain as much(wasn't keeping track, depresses me and no one ever mentioned it as a problem) so I am wondering if being busy and eating better just makes for a smaller baby for me? The other thing, they said he had a knot in his cord, but I don't think it was a serious one. He was always moving fine up til the end.

Anyway, We are good, I am feeling a bit more able to get up and do stuff. My mom is here waiting on me hand and foot I couldn't do it without her! And my husband working at home is a big help too! I have been feeling a bit weepy but I ate some brownies and was slowly weaning myself off narcotic pain meds So I know why.

#314 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Woohoo! Congratulations! So glad that you feel like the diet helped you and him.

As for his weight, I do think better diets can yield smaller babies. I've heard birth weights are much lower on average in Europe than the US. But also, could it be possible that his due date was off by a little bit, or maybe he has just planned on baking a little longer than your other babes?

#315 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Woohoo! Congratulations! So glad that you feel like the diet helped you and him.

As for his weight, I do think better diets can yield smaller babies. I've heard birth weights are much lower on average in Europe than the US. But also, could it be possible that his due date was off by a little bit, or maybe he has just planned on baking a little longer than your other babes?

I hadn't heard that, good to know!

As for him planning on baking longer- could be. I am pretty sure about dates. I was just astonished that me feeling better produced a smaller rather than larger baby. I've always heard the bigger is better idea. Definitely not the case for me.

#316 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 PM

Congratulations, Leilalu!!!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#317 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Just chiming in now. I think I'm at 15 weeks today, but I am going to check later- not sure. Anyway, I was so glad to begin eating again at 10 weeks. This is my second TF pg and my first with morning (well, all day actually) sickness. I started eating a fully TF diet after years of being incidentally almost TF, right after ds3 was born, so 4 yrs of complete TF and about 4 yrs before that of almost (didn't know about fermenting and soaking, but ate raw and whole, unrefined foods).

Quote:
As for his weight, I do think better diets can yield smaller babies. I've heard birth weights are much lower on average in Europe than the US.
Hm. Interesting. Fwiw, I am slightly taller than average and so is dh (healthy weight), but our near relatives range in height from 5'2" to 6'5"- lots of both extremes. We're both in the middle. My totally TF baby was bigger than his previously born brother by 5oz, weighing in at 10lbs 8oz.

I wonder if some in utero babies put on chub to make up for a lack of dense nutrients. I don't see why not; adults do. My newborns have chub (except ds1 who was premature), but ds4 had the least of the two who were born in their timing and even our 8lb 12oz c/s babe. So he weighed the most, was structurally the largest, but had much less chub (very little anywhere except his cheeks ) than ds3 (and ds2, but he was not TF and also c/s early).

I'm gearing up for an 11 pounder this time.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#318 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I've always heard the bigger is better idea. Definitely not the case for me.
The right size for each individual is the best size, imo.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#319 of 329 Old 01-15-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
I wonder if some in utero babies put on chub to make up for a lack of dense nutrients. I don't see why not; adults do. My newborns have chub (except ds1 who was premature), but ds4 had the least of the two who were born in their timing and even our 8lb 12oz c/s babe. So he weighed the most, was structurally the largest, but had much less chub (very little anywhere except his cheeks ) than ds3 (and ds2, but he was not TF and also c/s early).

I'm gearing up for an 11 pounder this time.
lol.

this is interesting! my larget was my second, a boy. he was nothing but 9.5 pounds of muscle and bone! the nurses were amazed! This little guy isn't chubby either.

#320 of 329 Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM

Congratulations! I am glad that you are recovering well, and baby is nursing well. I hope it continues on that same path for you.

As for birth weights, my last baby was 9 lbs. even. He wasn't fat, just muscley. He was very alert and strong; within minutes of birth, he was holding up his head and looking around. I wasn't totally TF, as we traveled for 2 months of my pregnancy, but I did eat pretty well most of the time. I am looking forward to seeing what this baby is like, as I am much stricter on the sugar and junk this time. I also haven't really wanted to eat any late night snacks, just one helping of dinner, and really good breakfasts.
#321 of 329 Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 AM

congrats Leilalu! Hope you are resting well!

As to the size I think some is genetic depending on parentage and ancestry. Some people I think would be destined to have larger children. I think some moms naturally and healthily grow bigger babies and some smaller babies. I also think for some a big baby is a sign of lots of carb and sugar intake which if you follow the Brewer or NT pregnancy diet you will have. I did Brewer w/ my first and had an 8-10oz at 38.3- I am fairly small myself (5-4-120 lb) and dh is average. My next I cut out the sugar and most of the grains (kept some fermented dairy)as I found I felt soooooo much healthier w/out them and had a 7-7 at 39-2(girl). Then my last was 7-9 at 41.1- I was gluten and dairy free this last time, but had some grains here and there. My last 2 have also been girls and I was a super duper small baby/kid- so we will see the difference it might have if the next time I have a boy on this diet. My babies have gotten more mellow and happy each time.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#322 of 329 Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

very interesting! I did have a fairly moderate sugar intake last time around- like gettng a muffin from whole foods with the kids once a week for one...and this time we didn't do that. I think the little changes really added up.

#323 of 329 Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM

I am very curious about this baby. I gained quite a bit of weight early on, outgrowing my jeans by 3 months. Lately, however, I've leveled off, and I'm wearing the same jeans I wore at the beginning of October. My baby belly is expanding, and I'm measuring spot-on for dates, so I don't know what's going on. I have had more sugar in the last month, what with Christmas and birthday parties, but still not a whole lot. I haven't been able to stick with no grains or sugars entirely, but am not doing badly. I guess time will tell!
#324 of 329 Old 01-17-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
lol.

this is interesting! my larget was my second, a boy. he was nothing but 9.5 pounds of muscle and bone! the nurses were amazed! This little guy isn't chubby either.
I love how mamas describe their newborns. I just want to hug and snuggle every one of them! It's funny that even having two big babies, when others weigh less, but still weigh a lot, like yours, my eyes widen and I think, "That's a BIG baby!" Then I remember that mine are big too, and I think, "These are BIG babies!"

Interesting to have two very different weights but similar chub-amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I also haven't really wanted to eat any late night snacks, just one helping of dinner, and really good breakfasts.
This is happening to me this time too. I rarely have even one snack all day. I have my three meals and I'm not hungry otherwise. I was wondering if that's okay today, but then I remembered that eventually my meal portions will fit into a walnut shell and I'll have to eat all day to eat the equivalent of my three meals. Later still, I won't have time to prepare or eat a whole meal and I'll be eating all day to make up for my three and the baby's three- or fifteen; whatever.

So, not to worry. I'll shove it all in there somehow, sometime.

#325 of 329 Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I haven't been able to stick with no grains or sugars entirely, but am not doing badly. I guess time will tell!
I don't normally eat much grain, but I do find that if I go a day without oats or a piece of bread with my eggs, I don't feel well at all. I seem to really need it.

#326 of 329 Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Hey, I have a question: My nails have seemed much more brittle than normal lately. They are usually pretty strong, and will all grow out long and beautiful until they get too long and start breaking (then I trim them all to match and start over). But the past month or so I've noticed that they are chipping and breaking right away, while still very short. Does this mean anything as far as nutrient intake/absorption? Don't you normally have better nails during pregnancy? I was thinking calcium, but maybe it's something else, like vit E or something?

I've been drinking 3/4 gallon raw milk per week (which is still not enough for my taste), plus really craving (and eating a ton of) sour cream and other dairy. I just recently (like a couple days ago) started taking a cal/mag/zinc/vit D supplement because I ran out of zinc and figured the other stuff couldn't hurt to get a little bit more of at the end. Thoughts?

#327 of 329 Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
I don't normally eat much grain, but I do find that if I go a day without oats or a piece of bread with my eggs, I don't feel well at all. I seem to really need it.
yep, this is me too!

#328 of 329 Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Kelly the Kitchen Kop has suggested posting to Oprah's site regarding having Nina Planck on Oprah!! I'd love to see that!

Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma and Food, Inc.) was just on Oprah, so we're commenting to keep up the Real Food advocacy for mothers and babies!

Pat

I have a blog.
#329 of 329 Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM

i'm 12 weeks and now that the morning sickness is abating, ready to make some changes to how i'm eating. both my previous pregnancies i ate lots of carbs, good carbs, but lots of them. i now know i do better eating low carb, but unfortunately when i got pregnant life was crazy and i was eating lots of carbs and for the past month i just eat whatever it takes to make me feel better. in the past 3 weeks i've gained 7lb! i really don't want to gain 60lb again this pregnancy. i was feeling helpless about it, but when i mentioned it to dh he's just asked me what i need to eat differently. course his suggestions weren't helpful (ie: i could eat less fat), but it did get me thinking. when i can stick to low carb eating i lose weight. not that i want to lose weight right now... but if i'm eating lots of healthy meats fats and veggies it can't be BAD for me can it? part of me so just wants to eat what i want, low carb can be so hard. i've gotta find a way to get myself motivated.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page