Forum Jump: 

#121 of 329 Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Did I kill this awesome thread? :

I've been taking frozen liver 'pills' for 2 days and have been wide awake! Of course, I also coincidentally started drinking my kombucha at the same time. So I'm not sure if that is what kept me awake till midnight last night, or what. But ever since I've been pregnant, I have been totally dragging by lunchtime and PRAYING DD would take a nap. Since I found out I'm preggo, I've been napping regardless of whether she does. But even with the longest nap in the world (we had a 3 hour one on Sunday), I can still fall asleep at the drop of a hat and have to go to bed between 8 & 9. It's lunchtime now, and I hardly care whether DD naps or not! : Well, I will run out of kombucha in the next few days, so keep your fingers crossed for me that it's the liver and the effect holds!
Was it the kombucha or the liver?

I've heard other people say that if they take the liver too late in the day, it will keep them up at night. Could be the B-vitamins in it? Kombucha also has lots of Bs, so maybe the combo of the two was keeping you up.

Vesta79, I would say just follow what feels good to your body with the liver pills. They are a great alternative to the raw frozen liver chunks, b/c they're essentially the same thing. They just cost more. If you're wondering about vitamin A content, it says on there how many pills are equivalent to how much liver, and you could just look up nutrient content based on that. As for the iron, I would think that the form of iron in beef liver isn't going to pose a problem, but the form of iron in the prenatal could -- depends on what form it's in and your particular body.

I'm reordering my fermented CLO today, and wondering about the "hyaluronic acid" that's in the cinnamon flavor?? Do I really want that? Last time I got the raw unadulterated stuff, and it's been really hard for me to choke down, so I was hoping for flavored this time. But I'm questioning the hyaluronic acid...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#122 of 329 Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
Was it the kombucha or the liver?

I've heard other people say that if they take the liver too late in the day, it will keep them up at night. Could be the B-vitamins in it? Kombucha also has lots of Bs, so maybe the combo of the two was keeping you up.
I don't know, probably the combination. Yesterday I didn't drink as much kombucha and was a little sleepier, though still able to stay up too late playing on FB. But this morning I couldn't even get the liver down. :Puke Maybe I waited too long after I ate. And now I'm really dragging and feeling yucky.

#123 of 329 Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I'm reordering my fermented CLO today, and wondering about the "hyaluronic acid" that's in the cinnamon flavor?? Do I really want that? Last time I got the raw unadulterated stuff, and it's been really hard for me to choke down, so I was hoping for flavored this time. But I'm questioning the hyaluronic acid...
I was wondering the same thing and I contacted (i think dave) from blue ice over the phone, and he made it sound like it was all good and safe. I have no worries now about it. I wish I could explain what he said, but I am the least technical person and just say it is all good.
#124 of 329 Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 AM

I'm pre-TTC; do I count?

Thanks for reminding me to get back into frozen raw liver! I'm making a conscious effort to build up my vitamin B6 stores, in the hopes that it will help prevent morning sickness this time. I had horrible morning sickness with my first pregnancy, none with my second, a pretty bad three weeks with my third, and am hoping for none again with baby #4. :

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#125 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Okay so. Looks like these darn leg cramps aren't going away. What can I eat that will give me the most magnesium? I've been chomping on bananas. I already take a daily multivitamin and CLO. Any ideas?

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#126 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenalove46 View Post
Okay so. Looks like these darn leg cramps aren't going away. What can I eat that will give me the most magnesium? I've been chomping on bananas. I already take a daily multivitamin and CLO. Any ideas?
Have you tried natural calm? That is my go to magnesium supplement.

I'm curious what everyone is snacking on. Now that I have hit the second trimester my body is demanding LOTS of food. I need things I can just grab in between meals and not have to worry about cooking. I should be doing a kefir or yogurt or something probiotic but it just doesn't sound good. Still having major food aversions here. :
#127 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahwilson View Post
Have you tried natural calm? That is my go to magnesium supplement.

I'm curious what everyone is snacking on. Now that I have hit the second trimester my body is demanding LOTS of food. I need things I can just grab in between meals and not have to worry about cooking. I should be doing a kefir or yogurt or something probiotic but it just doesn't sound good. Still having major food aversions here. :
For snacks, I'll usually make the girls and myself a kefir smoothie (my favorite addition to any combo of fruit is canteloupe, it makes everything soooo sweet and yummy). Or I'll cut up some fruit and serve it with some honey and cream. Really yummy. Other than that, I know I need to start making some crackers or SOMETHING that is healthy to snack on that isn't pre-processed.

I'm also interested to hear what others are snacking on. I'm in serious lack for ideas.

#128 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi mamas! I am so happy to announce that I have had my baby! So now I have experienced a non-TF pregnancy, and a TF pregnancy (and labor). What a difference. This one has been 10 times better. And for labor, my last one was 3 days and 2-3 hours pushing, and this one was 10 hours labor and 4 pushes. But strange thing is the contractions were 5-8 minutes apart the whole time, so 10 hours was really easy. I really think that my diet played a big role. Also an interesting extra is my babys umbilical cord was really hard to cut and was super solid, and my midwife said that it was due to a good diet.

I am hoping to stick around this thread for just a little while longer even though I am not pregnant anymore.
#129 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Hi mamas! I am so happy to announce that I have had my baby! So now I have experienced a non-TF pregnancy, and a TF pregnancy (and labor). What a difference. This one has been 10 times better. And for labor, my last one was 3 days and 2-3 hours pushing, and this one was 10 hours labor and 4 pushes. But strange thing is the contractions were 5-8 minutes apart the whole time, so 10 hours was really easy. I really think that my diet played a big role. Also an interesting extra is my babys umbilical cord was really hard to cut and was super solid, and my midwife said that it was due to a good diet.

I am hoping to stick around this thread for just a little while longer even though I am not pregnant anymore.
Awesome!! Congratulations! I am hoping for lots of improvements over my first experience. Not necessarily the labor and birth, which were pretty easy, but I did have some bleeding that 'necessitated' a shot of pit. Who knows if that's really the case, but I just want to be prepared this time. But mostly I just don't want to go through subtle but difficult defects/effects of my diet on my baby. DD has a pilonidal dimple caused by folate deficiency, and has had chronic constipation, probably from a lack of good gut flora.

#130 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got my blood test results...

I allready knew about the anticardiolipin antibodies....but I had my appointment with my new peri yesterday and found out that I also have MTHFR with a C mutation and an A mutation. So now I understand why they had me start Folgard. The peri thinks that I might be able to go to just baby aspirin and Folgard once the baby is 3 months if my clotting times are good. I sure hope so, I hate these Lovenox injections.

All of my vitamin and mineral levels (other than folic acid) look great (I've had gastric bypass so they keep a close eye) as does my hemo.

The nutritionist looked at my food diary and says that I'm not eatting enough. I need to eat every 2 hours instead of every 3 because I can't eat enough in one meal to get what the baby needs our of that meal.

Now here's the hilarious part......I was too shy to explain how I prepare my food to the nutritionist.....I'm mostly TF with an occasional non TF treat thrown in.....my diet is VERY high in fat, just not any altered or man made fats....

My cholesterol is 175 and my types of cholesterol are well balanced. They were very impressed (I've still overweight though no longer obese). She was saying that I need to switch to lowfat or fatfree dairy after the baby...the hell I will. It took me years to find an eatting plan that worked to keep me healthy after gastric bypass, I'm NOT messing with it now. LOL.

It's tricky getting enough nutrients in when your tummy only holds 6 oz and you vomit if you take one bite too many.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#131 of 329 Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:

::: Yay! Congratulations! Woohoo!! I'm so glad the labor went well. So interesting about the contractions being far apart.

Enjoy your babymoon, mama.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#132 of 329 Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:

: Congrats mama!!! I'm so happy that labor & delivery went much quicker and smoother this time!!!

#133 of 329 Old 07-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:

YAY!! CONGRATS!!!:

Just out of curiosity, because I have been super worried about it, did anyone paint during their pregnancy? I was kind of forced into painting a house that my in-laws and I moved into. I was painting or near paint for about three days! It was all latex paint, but I am still worried... can you reassure me, or am I doomed?
#134 of 329 Old 07-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
YAY!! CONGRATS!!!:

Just out of curiosity, because I have been super worried about it, did anyone paint during their pregnancy? I was kind of forced into painting a house that my in-laws and I moved into. I was painting or near paint for about three days! It was all latex paint, but I am still worried... can you reassure me, or am I doomed?
I don't think you have anything to worry about. We moved into this house 3 months ago and in that time I have had to tear down 2 bathrooms, drywall, mud, tile (which is really hard when you're belly starts getting bigger), do plumbing, more tile. You get the picture. I wore a respirator so I wouldn't breath any fumes from the grout and mortar and stuff.

I am, however, absolutely amazed at the difference between painting with Olympic low VOC paint vs a regular paint. For our whole house we've used Olympic and never had a problem with fumes. But for our bathroom we had to get a gallon of Valspar and I couldn't even breathe in there.

#135 of 329 Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Has Nina Planck's new book been talked about here? It's probably where I heard about it! haha. Anyway, I'm reading it and LOVE it! Anybody taking fish oil as she recommends? What brand? She says Nordic Naturals is good, but didn't the WAPF warn against them?

#136 of 329 Old 08-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Coming in to say I'm joining the group. I am about 5 wks, and not doing too badly with my diet. My biggest treat is homemade ice cream, and my biggest fault is probably that I just really don't like either fermented foods or liver. I can deal with kefir, yogurt, and small amounts of (my homemade) sauerkraut, but liver is just yuck.
#137 of 329 Old 08-01-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Got my blood test results...

I allready knew about the anticardiolipin antibodies....but I had my appointment with my new peri yesterday and found out that I also have MTHFR with a C mutation and an A mutation. So now I understand why they had me start Folgard. The peri thinks that I might be able to go to just baby aspirin and Folgard once the baby is 3 months if my clotting times are good. I sure hope so, I hate these Lovenox injections.
Mama, come over to the prenatal allergy prevention, nutrition-style where we are discussing MTHFR.

Pat

I have a blog.
#138 of 329 Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Gals... I'm hoping for some helpful ideas. I'm asking here first, because I don't want to hear "take a Benadryl" nor do I want to hear "OMG run to your OBs office for a BP check!"

I'm 17 weeks pg and the last week I've started having headaches every single stinkin night. They start around or after dinner time, and last through whenever I get up the first time in the middle of the night to pee. The headaches get worse with movement (probably why I can get to sleep, but then getting up to pee makes it come back), especially any kind of bending over (picking up toys.)

I've never been a headache-haver. These are really wearing on me!

About three weeks ago I went to a family reunion at a campground. It wasn't terribly hot, but it was very sunny, and there was a LOT more walking than I was used to. I got a horrible headache (same as the current one... same parts of my head hurting) the second day, starting after lunch and lasting until after bedtime. I thought it was the stress, compromise foods, bright sunshine perhaps.... Sure enough, no more headaches when I got home. Until this last week. I have not been eating differently, haven't been out in the bright sun more. I *have* been busy rearranging and cleaning things. But nothing terribly strenuous. Just a healthy kind of tired at the end of the day.

I have a dumb little wrist BP taker, but I haven't bothered to get it out yet. I know high BP can be one explanation. It could "just" be allergies, too, as grass pollen is hitting right now. But I don't have any other symptoms.

Part of me worries that I'm over-supplementing with something and it's coming back to bite me.

I don't know. Any ideas? Suggestions? Magic cures for the type of headache that feels better with firm pressure to the top of the head? (Yeah, yeah... how about just keeping firm pressure on top of my head? Har har... my arms get tired... ) Maybe all I need is a visit to the chiropractor. But I haven't found one I like here.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#139 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 AM

nak
Dehydration headaches? I have sensitive adrenals, and cortisol production is way upped during pregnancy, which would stress my adrenals and give me more frequent headaches on hot or stressful days (adrenals control how your body processes water). I started getting those kinds of headaches, though, a long time ago, after I gave birth to my first son.

It took me years to figure out the dehydration/adrenal connection, and I'm not saying that's what's necessarily happening for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. I would also have GI upset and nausea with my headaches, so it was clear it was a dehydration headache for me. It would happen even when I was drinking enough water, because the kidneys start flushing water instead of processing it.

During pregnancy, Dr. Ron's organ supplement, which has adrenal with cortex in it, would get rid of a headache if I got one.

Also, are you doing any detox stuff? Could they be detox headaches?

There's also a connection between adrenal fatigue and some kinds of high blood pressure.

#140 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM

I'm 95% certain I'm getting plenty of water, although I could easily believe my kidneys were over-excreting. I self-diagnosed with adrenal fatigue over a year ago, and took action to correct it. Really felt tons better, possibly even recovered, by the time I got pregnant. While we have had plenty of stress this summer, I'm still supporting my adrenals. I'd really be disappointed if it wasn't enough and they weren't working right again.

Not sure how to test for that during pregnancy... not sure if pregnancy changes results.

I take 4 capsules of Dr. Ron's Organ Delight every day. Had been taking 6, but had to cut back because I couldn't afford that many. Hmmm... I cut back a week or two before the first headaches showed up....

I don't think anything I'm taking could be causing detox.

I haven't been taking my magnesium as much lately. I wonder if that could be the cause?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#141 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Junegoddess, I would try the mag and see if that helps. I think it helped me when I was getting them about a month ago.

Also, a prego friend who started taking massive amounts of vit D due to severe deficiency swore that it gave her migraines. And somebody else told me the same thing about sun exposure. So I was wondering if the additional D, without accompanying extra A, could be causing it. Like you said, you cut back on the liver pills. Maybe your body started missing the extra A after you got so much sun (aka D)?

Just a theory, but thought I'd throw it out there.

#142 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I just started my first bottle of the plain and it's disgusting. Thinking I may go back to Radiant Life after this bottle is done - trying the fermented is literally the first time I've come close to vomiting this pg.... But I think I remember that the fermented is the only way to avoid synthetic A these days.....

Quote:
Has Nina Planck's new book been talked about here? It's probably where I heard about it! haha. Anyway, I'm reading it and LOVE it! Anybody taking fish oil as she recommends? What brand? She says Nordic Naturals is good, but didn't the WAPF warn against them?
Read it and LOVED it, but I take CLO.
#143 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
I do too, but since it doesn't have a lot of DHA, I wanted to supplement to make sure I don't run low. Can't afford to eat tons of fish, although I eat canned tuna and wild salmon when I can get it on sale.

#144 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Hi mamas! Just subbing to this thread...getting back into TF pretty seriously and am 7mos pregnant right now w/ my 3rd...

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#145 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Junegoddess, I would try the mag and see if that helps. I think it helped me when I was getting them about a month ago.

Also, a prego friend who started taking massive amounts of vit D due to severe deficiency swore that it gave her migraines. And somebody else told me the same thing about sun exposure. So I was wondering if the additional D, without accompanying extra A, could be causing it. Like you said, you cut back on the liver pills. Maybe your body started missing the extra A after you got so much sun (aka D)?

Just a theory, but thought I'd throw it out there.
I've been taking plain ol' D3, to try to raise my levels... and while I figured there's probably some good vitamin A in the Dr. Ron's organ caps, I have no idea how much. I had my D level tested about 6 months ago, and while it was good, it wasn't great. I want great. D3 capsules are a lot cheaper than the required amount of CLO, although it's not balanced by vitamin A. Hmmm... I was hoping to get by with that. I'll start taking the liver. I need to before it gets freezer-burned anyway! I need to figure out how much I need of it per day, to balance out the D. Grrreat... math! LOL

I may need to post myself a sign in the kitchen to remind me to take my magnesium. Maybe I ought to find a good pill form. The mag-citrate powder is just annoying... I already have the good habit of taking my supplements, but putting the tea kettle on to make the mag-citrate is too many steps, apparently.

#146 of 329 Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I'm 95% certain I'm getting plenty of water, although I could easily believe my kidneys were over-excreting. I self-diagnosed with adrenal fatigue over a year ago, and took action to correct it. Really felt tons better, possibly even recovered, by the time I got pregnant. While we have had plenty of stress this summer, I'm still supporting my adrenals. I'd really be disappointed if it wasn't enough and they weren't working right again.
This is exactly what happened to me -- self diagnosed, did a lot of healing with food and supplements and rest, symptoms went away, felt great consistently, got pregnant -- and got symptoms again. It was disappointing, as you said. I hope it's not the case for you. But I'm still in better shape than I was before I did the adrenal healing!! I'm much healthier, and my adrenals are still doing much better now than they were then, even with the pregnancy.

The deal is that cortisol production increases hugely during the third trimester of pregnancy, in particular. I started feeling symptoms at the end of the first tri/beginning of second tri. That's when I re-ordered the organ pills and started taking them, and was able to manage the symptoms pretty well for the rest of the pregnancy with those. I could tell I was still on the edge, but the pills would pull me back.

Let's hope it's just the mag, hm? Hope you figure it out soon -- headaches suck!

#147 of 329 Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 AM

I started getting my nightly headache around 6 pm... had to go pick up ds from grandma's house, and as soon as I got home I drank a big ol' dose of magnesium.

No headache.

Guess I know now!

It never would have occurred to me that magnesium was what I needed... what on earth does it have to do with headaches? Oh, well, it seems to be one of my three wonder drugs. Without fish oil, chromium, and magnesium I don't think I'd be functional.

#148 of 329 Old 08-03-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
Ugh, I just started my first bottle of the plain and it's disgusting. Thinking I may go back to Radiant Life after this bottle is done - trying the fermented is literally the first time I've come close to vomiting this pg.... But I think I remember that the fermented is the only way to avoid synthetic A these days.....

I found an EXCELLENT trick to mask the taste of CLO! Juice! I measure out my CLO in the dropper, add that much in juice (so far grape juice has been best) and slosh it around then guzzle it down. Can't even taste it until after it's down your throat. LOL I got the Cinnamon tingle and next time I'm not going to bother with a flavor, it doesn't do anything!

I also tried to mix it with milk and although that did work, the taste is masked better with juice.

#149 of 329 Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I started getting my nightly headache around 6 pm... had to go pick up ds from grandma's house, and as soon as I got home I drank a big ol' dose of magnesium.

No headache.

Guess I know now!

It never would have occurred to me that magnesium was what I needed... what on earth does it have to do with headaches? Oh, well, it seems to be one of my three wonder drugs. Without fish oil, chromium, and magnesium I don't think I'd be functional.
Yay! I'm glad you found out a cure for your headaches. I read your post but had no idea. I've been getting leg cramps lately and I just need to remember to go to the store and get some magnesium. What kind are you taking?

#150 of 329 Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
The mag-citrate powder is just annoying... I already have the good habit of taking my supplements, but putting the tea kettle on to make the mag-citrate is too many steps, apparently.
What I've been doing is making up a big pitcher of it and putting it in the fridge to drink cold, a lot of times with dinner. Hopefully that isn't de-activating it or anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page