Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 329 Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to pop in and say we are having a boy

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#182 of 329 Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM

So what, exactly, does the honey do to help you relax and sleep? Common sense would seem that the sugars would wake you up. Also, do you find that it makes you gain weight faster? I am assuming this is raw honey you're taking.
#183 of 329 Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say we are having a boy
We are, too!! And I'm still wrapping my head around it. I was just *sure* it was a girl.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#184 of 329 Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
So what, exactly, does the honey do to help you relax and sleep? Common sense would seem that the sugars would wake you up. Also, do you find that it makes you gain weight faster? I am assuming this is raw honey you're taking.
If I remember correctly, honey stimulates glucose production in the liver, which stimulates tryptophan production, which stimulates seratonin, which will convert to melatonin as long as it is completely dark (no nightlights, etc). Melatonin helps you sleep better.

Honey is an old remedy for sleeping, but I guess they've just recently nailed down the science of why.

And actually, some folks claim it stimulates the body to lose weight. Check out the hibernation diet thread for more info on all of these honey issues...

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#185 of 329 Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Congrats on the boys!!

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#186 of 329 Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM

hi, i'm scared to do RRl infusions would this bring on labour? i've been just having it as a tea a couple of times a day, but wondering if i should now be making an infusion of it instead, i'm now 39 weeks 1day due on 27th but i'm feeling so scared and not at all ready. dd was a natural birth with no complications but it was long and i was exhausted (although i've since found out that it wasn't that long in comparison to some others). but this time around i'm far more scared, and am finding it really difficult to focus and feel positive despite having 2 lovely midwives and home birth planned, i just keep thinking i wish i didn't have to go through labour and just thinking like this is making me think i'm not accepting it and won't be able to let go when it happens!.

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#187 of 329 Old 08-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
hi, i'm scared to do RRl infusions would this bring on labour?
RRL is a tonic herb so I have a hard time seeing how it would "bring on labor" all on it's own. Per Susun Weed:

Quote:
Wise women have recommended herbal tonics for childbearing for thousands of years. These herbs are empirically safe and notably effective. Tonic herbs improve general health by balancing and sustaining energy flow and focus in the body.

Tonics allay annoyances and prevent major problems. They can boost the supply of vital minerals and vitamins, increase energy and improve uterine tone. Some uterine tonics are contraindicated during pregnancy or are restricted to the last few weeks of pregnancy.
-and -

Quote:
safest of all uterine and pregnancy tonic herbs. It contains fragrine, an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself.

Most of the benefits ascribed to regular use of Raspberry tea through pregnancy are traced to the nourishing source of vitamins and minerals found in this plant and to the strengthening power of fragrine - an alkaloid which gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Of special note are the rich concentration of vitamin C, the presence of vitamin E and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. Raspberry leaves also contain vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorous and potassium.

The benefits of drinking a raspberry leaf brew before and throughout pregnancy include:

:snip:
~ Preventing miscarriage and hemorrhage. Raspberry leaf tones the uterus and helps prevent miscarriage and postpartum hemorrhage from a relaxed or atonic uterus.

:snip:
~ Reducing pain during labor and after birth. By toning the muscles used during labor and delivery, Raspberry leaf eliminates many of the reasons for a painful delivery and prolonged recovery. It does not, however, counter the pain of pelvic dilation.

~ Assisting in the production of plentiful breast milk. The high mineral content of Raspberry leaf assist in milk production, but its astringency may counter that for some women.

~ Providing a safe and speedy pariuntion. Raspberry leaf works to encourage the uterus to let go and function without tension. It does not strengthen contractions, but does allow the contracting uterus to work more effectively and so may make the birth easier and faster.
All benefits I really appreciate!
#188 of 329 Old 08-23-2009, 05:07 AM

pampered mom, thanks for posting that info, i guess i should make some infusions of it now then as i've been having the tea, but at infusion strength it will be more effective. i'm doing nettle infussion etc i keep making it and forgetting to drink it!!

#189 of 329 Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
pampered mom, thanks for posting that info, i guess i should make some infusions of it now then as i've been having the tea, but at infusion strength it will be more effective. i'm doing nettle infussion etc i keep making it and forgetting to drink it!!
I "forget" to drink my nettles infusion if it doesn't taste that good. I only let it sit 4 hour max, and if it goes any longer, it tastes terrible. I also add a pick of peppermont when infusing. If it is a 4 hour infuion, Iactually crave it. And if you have some left over in the fridge after a few days, I use it as a hair rinse in the shower. My hair never looked so good.
#190 of 329 Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I "forget" to drink my nettles infusion if it doesn't taste that good. I only let it sit 4 hour max, and if it goes any longer, it tastes terrible. I also add a pick of peppermont when infusing. If it is a 4 hour infuion, Iactually crave it. And if you have some left over in the fridge after a few days, I use it as a hair rinse in the shower. My hair never looked so good.
thanks for the tip bluebirdmama i do have some left over in the fridge thats a few days old, do you use it as rinse after shampooing or just rinse it through without shampoo?

did you do RRL infusions aswell? if so how long did you infuse for and how much of them did you drink per day?

#191 of 329 Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
thanks for the tip bluebirdmama i do have some left over in the fridge thats a few days old, do you use it as rinse after shampooing or just rinse it through without shampoo?

did you do RRL infusions aswell? if so how long did you infuse for and how much of them did you drink per day?
I use nettles after or in place of conditioner. Let me know how your hair is after using it.

I do not do rrl infusion right now. I may get back into it since I had my baby a few weeks ago. I did not do them at all during the pregnancy after spotting every time I had a cup. I did drink it during the labor though, and it went easy and quick compared to my first labor.
Even though I had issues, I do recommend it to others since my case is so rare. And you could always find out how it reacts to your body. I just spotted and had to stop and I had no m/c issues. Now if I spotted and drank more all day long that would be foolish on my part.
When I do make it (which was before this pregnany) I never use boiling water, I just use hot water. The taste is very different with boiling water and gross. I found I could infuse the rrl longer as long as I didn't start out with boiling water.
#192 of 329 Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
If I remember correctly, honey stimulates glucose production in the liver, which stimulates tryptophan production, which stimulates seratonin, which will convert to melatonin as long as it is completely dark (no nightlights, etc). Melatonin helps you sleep better.

Honey is an old remedy for sleeping, but I guess they've just recently nailed down the science of why.

And actually, some folks claim it stimulates the body to lose weight. Check out the hibernation diet thread for more info on all of these honey issues...
That is very interesting. Thank you! I think maybe I will start taking some before bed. How much do you need to take? Teaspoon, tablespoon?
#193 of 329 Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM

I haven't read through the whole thread. I'm 13 wks, and feel SO tired I'm suspecting anemia. Any favorite recipes for liver? I'm trying to eat chicken liver, but having a hard time.
Also, any other advise?

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#194 of 329 Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread. I'm 13 wks, and feel SO tired I'm suspecting anemia. Any favorite recipes for liver? I'm trying to eat chicken liver, but having a hard time.
Also, any other advise?
Hi, I'm 10 weeks, and finding that the fatigue isn't nearly as bad when I get some iodine. I'm thinking it's a thyroid thing for me.

My new favorite way to do chicken liver is to purée it with an egg and fry like pancakes, then eat with a fresh salsa type sauce on top. I'm actually liking liver for the first time like that!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#195 of 329 Old 08-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

My new favorite way to do chicken liver is to purée it with an egg and fry like pancakes, then eat with a fresh salsa type sauce on top. I'm actually liking liver for the first time like that!
Interesting! I need to try that. Could you approximate how many livers you use for this? Or is it just one? I always remember them smaller than they are...

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#196 of 329 Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
Interesting! I need to try that. Could you approximate how many livers you use for this? Or is it just one? I always remember them smaller than they are...
I think last time it was about a half pound of livers to one egg, but next time I might try two. Or maybe just 1/4 lb liver and one egg, that was a LOT for one person to eat...

#197 of 329 Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am 24 yrs old newly married, preparing to TTC in the next year. I am just now getting into WAPF and love all I am learning.

I wanted to know if any mom's out there have other stories to share about their experiences with pregnancy & labor while eating a traditional diet vs the standard american diet.

I would love to hear any tips you have for me!

I just got off BC a week ago for good and am taking Organic Royal Maca every morning to hopefully regulate my cycles (and what used to be terrible cramps!) I will let you know how it goes!

Spending my days with my precious son, the greatest blessing in my life - appropriatley born on Thanksgiving day

​looking forward to when I can sleep more than a 2 or 3 hour stretch on a consistent basis!

#198 of 329 Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post
Hi Ladies,

I am 24 yrs old newly married, preparing to TTC in the next year. I am just now getting into WAPF and love all I am learning.

I wanted to know if any mom's out there have other stories to share about their experiences with pregnancy & labor while eating a traditional diet vs the standard american diet.

I just got off BC a week ago for good and am taking Organic Royal Maca every morning to hopefully regulate my cycles (and what used to be terrible cramps!) I will let you know how it goes!

Welcome!!!
#199 of 329 Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter is Better View Post
Hi Ladies,

Welcome!

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#200 of 329 Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Not sure if this has been asked yet but I started drinking RRL a few days ago. Last night I made a bunch and iced it. It was yummy. Anywho, last night all night I had a ton of BH contrax. I normally DO get them, but not that much/frequent. Could the RRL be causing this (also probably because I drank more than one cup)? Does this normally happen when you start a RRL regimen?

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#201 of 329 Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenalove46 View Post
Not sure if this has been asked yet but I started drinking RRL a few days ago. Last night I made a bunch and iced it. It was yummy. Anywho, last night all night I had a ton of BH contrax. I normally DO get them, but not that much/frequent. Could the RRL be causing this (also probably because I drank more than one cup)? Does this normally happen when you start a RRL regimen?
It's supposed to be a uterine tonic, so causing toning contractions would make sense. I never noticed an increase though. Anyone else? I'm curious too.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#202 of 329 Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I think last time it was about a half pound of livers to one egg, but next time I might try two. Or maybe just 1/4 lb liver and one egg, that was a LOT for one person to eat...
I'd really like to try this, but even just reading this makes me feel really queasy. I want to try taking the honey before bed, but evenings are when I feel the worst. I'm not sure I can get it down, and keep it down. Any thoughts? How close to bedtime do you need to take it to get the benefits?
#203 of 329 Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I'd really like to try this, but even just reading this makes me feel really queasy. I want to try taking the honey before bed, but evenings are when I feel the worst. I'm not sure I can get it down, and keep it down. Any thoughts? How close to bedtime do you need to take it to get the benefits?
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are feeling ill. I have horrible all-day sickness with my pregnancies for at least half of the pregnancy, so I feel for you. It has really just been the past week that I have been feeling a little better and I am 21 weeks.

#204 of 329 Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Thank you. This is my 5th baby (6th preg.), and I've NEVER felt this badly with any of the others. Tired, crabby, sure, but not generally yucky for most of the day. I wake up in the night to pee and feel bad. I am hoping it will pass soon. Most days I am too busy with the other 4 to really focus on it, which is a good thing, lol.
#205 of 329 Old 08-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
It's supposed to be a uterine tonic, so causing toning contractions would make sense. I never noticed an increase though. Anyone else? I'm curious too.
I've never really noticed an increase in bh with RRL. I have noticed, though, that I notice bh ctx a whole lot more with this pregnancy than I did with any of the others, but I just chalked that up to this being my third.
#206 of 329 Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM

I am 21 1/2 weeks pregnant... and the last couple of days have I've been getting hungrier and hungrier. It has really hit hard today. I want TONS of fat... but it's hard getting it IN, you know? I am allergic to gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, and have to be really careful with eggs. (Have to make sure they're from soy-free chickens, which is hard to find, and then also I don't eat them more than two or three times a week, to make sure I don't lose them again.)

Another complicating factor is that I'm on the verge of gestational diabetes... so while slathering a piece of GF "toast" with butter sounds delightful... I can't have much of the toast. A big ol' baked potato with a pile of butter sounds really good right now, too, but... once again... that's a lot of carbs.

Maybe I'll just take the damn diagnosis, get the insulin, and eat myself happy.

Blah.

The final complicating factor is that we're on a tight budget now. My husband was recently medically retired from the Army, and will spend the next two years going back to college to get a degree. Since "shooting at people" doesn't yield much on a resume.

Sooo... we've got half a cow coming in about three weeks... and I've got a nice stash of good fish in the freezer (that I want to ration for the third trimester and first few months after)... but meat is expensive. I try to make sure I get some at every meal, especially when I'm craving it, but it's HARD. And I'd looooove to be able to gnaw on a chicken leg for a snack, but... A) that really adds up if I do that every day, and B) the only source I have for pastured chicken around here is only somewhat reasonably-priced as a whole bird. Which sadly only have two legs. I despise breast meat and really wish I could devise a frankenchicken that is all thighs. Maybe if I dip the breast meat in melted butter??

I just downed an entire can of Vital Choice salmon... for a snack. That's an expensive darn snack. Then I tested my Kerry Gold butter for snackability... found it a bit lacking, unfortunately. The New Zealand stuff is the best...

I know that some women have problems eating enough, later in pregnancy, simply due to decreased stomach space. I don't have that problem.

Sooo... I don't know if I'm hoping for advice or sympathy. I've got at least 18 weeks left... hoping I'm not starving the whole time. Maybe we'll just have to take some money out of savings to boost our food budget...

#207 of 329 Old 08-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I am 21 1/2 weeks pregnant... and the last couple of days have I've been getting hungrier and hungrier. It has really hit hard today. I want TONS of fat... but it's hard getting it IN, you know? I am allergic to gluten, dairy, soy, coconut, and have to be really careful with eggs. (Have to make sure they're from soy-free chickens, which is hard to find, and then also I don't eat them more than two or three times a week, to make sure I don't lose them again.)

Another complicating factor is that I'm on the verge of gestational diabetes... so while slathering a piece of GF "toast" with butter sounds delightful... I can't have much of the toast. A big ol' baked potato with a pile of butter sounds really good right now, too, but... once again... that's a lot of carbs.

Maybe I'll just take the damn diagnosis, get the insulin, and eat myself happy.

Blah.

The final complicating factor is that we're on a tight budget now. My husband was recently medically retired from the Army, and will spend the next two years going back to college to get a degree. Since "shooting at people" doesn't yield much on a resume.

Sooo... we've got half a cow coming in about three weeks... and I've got a nice stash of good fish in the freezer (that I want to ration for the third trimester and first few months after)... but meat is expensive. I try to make sure I get some at every meal, especially when I'm craving it, but it's HARD. And I'd looooove to be able to gnaw on a chicken leg for a snack, but... A) that really adds up if I do that every day, and B) the only source I have for pastured chicken around here is only somewhat reasonably-priced as a whole bird. Which sadly only have two legs. I despise breast meat and really wish I could devise a frankenchicken that is all thighs. Maybe if I dip the breast meat in melted butter??

I just downed an entire can of Vital Choice salmon... for a snack. That's an expensive darn snack. Then I tested my Kerry Gold butter for snackability... found it a bit lacking, unfortunately. The New Zealand stuff is the best...

I know that some women have problems eating enough, later in pregnancy, simply due to decreased stomach space. I don't have that problem.

Sooo... I don't know if I'm hoping for advice or sympathy. I've got at least 18 weeks left... hoping I'm not starving the whole time. Maybe we'll just have to take some money out of savings to boost our food budget...
I like to make chicken salad with the breast meat, with lots of mayo - do you have a safe mayo? How about seasoning the butter (garlic herb? cinnamon spice?) and then piling it on safe veggies? Are sweet potatoes still too carby? Or making a spread/dip starring butter? Or eating the seasoned stuff straight? Can you get cheaper meat and do meatballs? With a fatty dip/sauce for them?

And yeah, I didn't really gain weight at all in the third trimester with dd cause eating gave me heartburn. I think I need to be a bit more careful this time!

#208 of 329 Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM

I'm six weeks along and am having a really hard time staying on the TF wagon because of nausea. Then I get terrible hunger pains but at the same time mentally don't want to eat. I get really queasy, but never vomit. It almost feels like I'm binging when I feel like eating and then starving myself the rest of the time. Last pregnancy, I ate perfectly TF all the time and never had nausea. This time around it doesn't seem to matter if I eat perfectly TF for a day or eat whatever mindless carbs I have around, because I still get the blahs. Sorry, I'm just venting here. But I really need to stay on track with this. Suggestions?

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#209 of 329 Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazer View Post
I'm six weeks along and am having a really hard time staying on the TF wagon because of nausea. Then I get terrible hunger pains but at the same time mentally don't want to eat. I get really queasy, but never vomit. It almost feels like I'm binging when I feel like eating and then starving myself the rest of the time. Last pregnancy, I ate perfectly TF all the time and never had nausea. This time around it doesn't seem to matter if I eat perfectly TF for a day or eat whatever mindless carbs I have around, because I still get the blahs. Sorry, I'm just venting here. But I really need to stay on track with this. Suggestions?

This is where I'm at. Carbs sound the best to me, but I know that they don't help me at all. Since I have a lot of times when I just really can't stomach the thought of putting anything down the hatch, I decided that if carbs sound good, then carbs are what I'll eat. For now, anyway. And when I do have a day when I feel better, I try hard to make sure that what I eat is top notch TF: good fat, good protein, low/no grain, no sugar. Two things I have found that sit well are beef and greens. I get fresh chard and kale from our garden, and I still have some beef from our steer in the freezer. I try to have that a least once or twice a week. I keep hoping that it is going to get better, and that my eating will gradually improve.
#210 of 329 Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 AM

jhgj

Cortney Mama to Lyra 1-20-08 and future midwife through Birthingway College of Midwifery

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page