Is there a current pregnant WAPF mamas thread? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 329 Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila1213 View Post
Realizing I am probably pretty dehydrated, which could be contributing to or potentially could complicate my low blood pressure. Knowing that ice water is not all it's cracked up to be, how do you all stay hydrated?
Mostly just water...most often during the summer it's been ice water b/c it appeals to me now that it's cooler it's just cold water from the tap. IMO I'd rather go with what will keep me hydrated than struggle with other options.
#242 of 329 Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I try to avoid cold water, I just don't like how it tastes. Before we had DS, I didn't like the taste of water at all, so I switched between adding lemon juice, lime juice, and acv to it. I drank it with a straw to avoid the acid being in contact with my teeth, but it made 64-96oz/day a lot easier to get down. Now, water kefir tends to quench my thirst better than plain water, but I still only drink, at most, 2-3 glasses a day.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#243 of 329 Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
When I was avoiding gluten I made a REALLY yummy raw buckwheat granola... lemme know if you want the recipe. (gotta say, I just LOVE cereal and can't seem to ever get away from it... )
Would love the recipe! Thanks!

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#244 of 329 Old 09-27-2009, 11:56 AM

I believe that cravings, in a reasonably healthy person, should definitely be listened to. HOWEVER... mine are insane. I think this little baby is trying to kill me.

Yesterday afternoon I got smacked with a vague craving... I know it doesn't make sense to even call it a craving, because I had no idea what I wanted. I just knew I wanted a LOT of it. Everything I thought of was not IT. Finally, I got the idea of a gigantic salad with blue cheese dressing. And that was it. I needed it. Had to have it. Nothing else would do. Except, of course, the tiny irritating little factoid that I'm allergic to milk. Even goat. Even fermented.

So, I futzed around in the kitchen and made a weird dressing made of mayonnaise, lemon juice, and Rawmesan (nut and yeast-based fake cheese, actually not too bad.) It wasn't blue cheese, but it was close.

While finishing that salad, I was whopped upside the head with another craving. Grilled cheese sandwich. AAAACCCCKKKK!!!! There is no way to fake that. I've never yet met a gluten, dairy, and soy-free bread that would make a good sandwich. And what the heck can I use for the cheese??

So, I just ignored that one until it finally went away. But this baby really really wants me to drink milk and eat cheese. Grrrr.... I am taking a calcium supplement, and doing pretty good at getting leafy greens and bone broth. I really don't think it's a calcium thing.

Sorry... whining over... 14 weeks to go and then my cravings will be my own.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#245 of 329 Old 09-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie79 View Post
Would love the recipe! Thanks!
Ok, I am doing this off the top of my head.
4c. buckwheat (soaked and rinsed thouroughly)
nuts/seeds
dried fruit
coconut flakes
1 apple
1 orange (juiced)
1/4-1/2 c. dates
1/2 c. honey (opt.)
Mix all the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl.
Throw the apple, orange juice, dates and honey in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth like a sauce. Pour this over your cereal and mix in. You can also add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg!!
Dehydrate until dry or bake until dry!
Yum!
#246 of 329 Old 09-27-2009, 06:34 PM

I am so going to try that recipe. Since switching to TF, I really miss cereal.
#247 of 329 Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
Ok, I am doing this off the top of my head.
4c. buckwheat (soaked and rinsed thouroughly)
nuts/seeds
dried fruit
coconut flakes
1 apple
1 orange (juiced)
1/4-1/2 c. dates
1/2 c. honey (opt.)
Mix all the first 4 ingredients together in a bowl.
Throw the apple, orange juice, dates and honey in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth like a sauce. Pour this over your cereal and mix in. You can also add spices like cinnamon and nutmeg!!
Dehydrate until dry or bake until dry!
Yum!
THANKS SO MUCH!!

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#248 of 329 Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM

hi all, i've missed being around here and have so little computer time these days because i had my baby on 7th september! a little boy born at home in water. i didn't notice that eating tf made much difference to my labour in terms of pain! - but ds did have his hand right by his head the whole way through and his head and hand came out together. but i did feel a lot calmer and more in control. also the healing afterwards was easier - no infection despite a 2nd degree tear. labour was a shorter than before but not by much (8hours) and my energy has been alot better this time around although i am a bit tired i dont' feel totally exhausted. so now i'm just struggling to keep up with all the tf cooking i need to do in order to stay healthy and energised! finding that really difficult while constantly holding the baby in arms. would like to post more but hes crying now!

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#249 of 329 Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
hi all, i've missed being around here and have so little computer time these days because i had my baby on 7th september! A little boy born at home in water. I didn't notice that eating tf made much difference to my labour in terms of pain! - but ds did have his hand right by his head the whole way through and his head and hand came out together. But i did feel a lot calmer and more in control. Also the healing afterwards was easier - no infection despite a 2nd degree tear. Labour was a shorter than before but not by much (8hours) and my energy has been alot better this time around although i am a bit tired i dont' feel totally exhausted. So now i'm just struggling to keep up with all the tf cooking i need to do in order to stay healthy and energised! Finding that really difficult while constantly holding the baby in arms. Would like to post more but hes crying now!
congratulations!!!
#250 of 329 Old 10-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Congrats bluebell!

I'm going to be backtracking in the thread today...been getting some killer leg cramps every morning around 6am the past couple of days and would love to make it stop!
#251 of 329 Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
Congrats bluebell!

I'm going to be backtracking in the thread today...been getting some killer leg cramps every morning around 6am the past couple of days and would love to make it stop!
Electrolytes? How are you on calcium and magnesium? Potassium? General hydration?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#252 of 329 Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Congrats bluebell!! Your birth sounds a bit like mine. My TF baby was born with his hand by his head, ouch! And I healed way faster than from my non TF birth. Interesting.
#253 of 329 Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Electrolytes? How are you on calcium and magnesium? Potassium? General hydration?
Electrolytes - umm not sure on that one.

Cal/Mag - My prenatal has some cal/mag in it, but not much. I do have the LifeTime Cal/Mag supplement that I have taken in the past (but apparently had forgotten in the fridge). I took some today and will see if that makes a difference tonight/tomorrow morning.

Potassium - I had pegged this one as my next line to investigate if Cal/Mag doesn't help it.

General hydration - I wondered about this one myself last night, but from what I can observe I'm no less hydrated than I usually am - which typically is pretty good.

The leg cramps are pretty intense - not just the calves as I have experienced at one time or another during pregnancy, but my shins and at times up into my thigh. About the only way I can get them to stop is to get up and walk around - which typically wakes up both los with our creaky floors which is much earlier than I'd prefer for them to be awake.

I'm going to try stretching tonight before bed to see if that helps some too.
#254 of 329 Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Can your DH rub them while you're still in bed?

#255 of 329 Old 10-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Can your DH rub them while you're still in bed?
lol...wouldn't that be nice! I love dh dearly, but lately I'd prefer he stayed asleep. He really needs it.
#256 of 329 Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM
*J*

Can I join? It's early for me yet, just 4 1/2 weeks. This is my very first pregnancy ever, and I'm planning to keep up some good TF eating throughout!

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#257 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J* View Post
Can I join? It's early for me yet, just 4 1/2 weeks. This is my very first pregnancy ever, and I'm planning to keep up some good TF eating throughout!
Welcome!!! Yay for first pregnancies! I am at the end of my first too! What a wonderful journey! Enjoy it!
#258 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 02:23 PM

pampered mom - in the past I took a liquid cal mag supplement at night to help with leg cramps and it is very effective! I can tell if I miss a night. I've been out of that so I've been drinking a glass of raw milk and then having a little cup of Natural Calm (Mg) before bed and it seems to be doing the trick. Good luck!

I'm still eating too many ill prepared grains for ease (like Natures Path raisin bran....DD loves it too ) but I'm just about out of my first tri so hopefully I'll get back into soaking my oats for breakfast this week.

Hopefully I'll also find those chicken livers in my freezer appealing again as well

I've decided I'm going to get my sourdough starter going so I can work on perfecting it while I have time. I've been debating this since I'm trying to reduce grains in general, but if I'm going to keep anything, this would be a good choice I think, and I want to get the process down now since I certainly won't have time come spring!

I've been wanting red meat a lot so I hope I can find a source for a part cow. We don't have a freezer yet, but I'm going to make the push to finally get one if I can secure some good meat! I made a really yummy beef stew last night and am looking forward to the leftovers! Just wish I had some fresh sourdough to have with it

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#259 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

oh! Beef stew sounds sooo amazing! I wish we had more than just ground beef in our freezer now!
Eeek... the last two days my energy levels have plummeted... I am like a zombie who is always hungry and never wants to get out of bed. I am thinking it may be my iron levels, and am going to get some floradix on Saturday, and am praying that helps. Any other ideas? I don't have any dsources of good liver, so that is out. I don't work at the moment, so I can really take this time to relax, but it just FEELS SO LAZY and boring. I dunno. Help!
#260 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J* View Post
Congratulation! Happy pregnancy and birth. I hope it is a wonderful time for you.
#261 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM

I made a super lamb stew in the crockpot the other day. I had lamb chops and shoulder somethings, as well as carrots, onions, and potatoes from the garden. Oh my goodness, is was divine! There are a few leftovers; I am trying to decide if I should turn it into a soup for a family meal, or if I want to enjoy it all by myself.

I need to reduce my grains, too, but it seems kinda overwhelming at the moment, because DH is traveling so much. Grains (rice, tortillas, sandwiches, etc.) are just so convenient when I am on my own with the 4 older kids. Plus, they get tired of having soups and stews, which are the easiest grain-free meals I can think of.

On another note, what do you ladies think about the Garden of Life Raw prenatals? My midwife is wanting me to take a prenatal; I always find they upset my stomach, but I thought perhaps a raw version might not be too bad.
#262 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
On another note, what do you ladies think about the Garden of Life Raw prenatals? My midwife is wanting me to take a prenatal; I always find they upset my stomach, but I thought perhaps a raw version might not be too bad.
I take the garden of life family code, not the prenatal one. I like the amount of nutrients i nthe family one instead. But I take a seperate iron, Blood buliders from whole foods company. I get it for a good price at vitacost.com. And I also love GOF's raw calcium. I feels so good with it. No leg cramps this time around!
I also take CLO too.
I think that if you just take the prenatal one, it is missing so much that the family one has. And the company reduces so much to fulfil the iron and folic acid. So they are skimping on the good stuff. The blood builders has great folic acid and iron.
Hope this helps. I am typing one handed while nursing my baby...
#263 of 329 Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM

I was feeling overwhelmed in the store the other day (nothing like shopping with 3 monkeys, I mean children while trying to read labels), and I couldn't figure out which one was best. I almost just got the b-complex, since I have a mineral supplement (although I haven't been taking it), and the calcium. I ended up getting the prenatal, just because it required less thought at the time. I would like to take more calcium, so maybe when this bottle is done, I will do something different. In the meantime, I am going to spend a bit of energy doing some research on it. So far, 4 days into it, I am doing ok with this brand. Thanks for your input.
#264 of 329 Old 10-16-2009, 06:17 PM

Quick question: My vit D came in at 32 today. The safe range, IIRC, was like 35 to 100. I know 35 is probably way too low, and I think I remember something like 65 as 'good' according to WAPF. I've been taking 1-2mL of FCLO when I remember to. My MW recommended at least 2000 IU of D, but I don't know how much FCLO that is offhand. How much FCLO do you all take??

#265 of 329 Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 PM
*J*

Quote:
How much FCLO do you all take??

I'd love to hear what folks are doing with this. I have been taking 1 tsp of FCLO daily. I want/ mean to be taking 2 tsp (read this somewhere, possibly on WAPF website?), but the higher dose makes me gag and feel a bit ill, while the single teaspoon goes down just fine.

I think there aren't many hard and fast numbers when it comes to FCLO. Living food and all that.

Enjoying nine years of wedded bliss and (finally!) expecting our very first little one... nope, make that two! June 2010
#266 of 329 Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM

I take the 2.0 ml and wish I could take more, but i just cant aford it. I take additional D3 liquid drops which are not that expensive.
And the calcium/magnesium sup I take has d in it and the mulit, so I think I am covered for enough D with the winter coming and not enough sun exposure. And I eat cod once or twice a week. I don't know how much D that has, but I hope some.
#267 of 329 Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 PM

I take 4 of the FCLO capsules. This is my one splurge for pregnancy... won't be able to take that much for long after birth. I think that that is around 2 tsp? Hopefully that is enouh D and A for me... I also don't take any other supplements...is that ok?
#268 of 329 Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 PM

I am so glad to have found this thread. I had skimmed it a few months ago before finding out I was pregnant. We just found out a few days ago and I need to pay super close attention to my nutrition. We've had three premature births and are REALLY praying to have a full term on this time. Nutrition seems to be a big key in getting there, we made the switch to traditional foods this year so hopefully staying on it (we do a lot of NT) will help baby stay in longer. I'm going to be reading through the whoel thread to get tips! I just wanted to say hi!

~Kristen~ Wife to DH, SAHM to DS (7) DS (5) DD (3) DS (2) DS (1) #6 due June 2010 via HBAC
#269 of 329 Old 10-18-2009, 04:54 AM

Can I join you ladies? I'm not a tf purist (pretty close, though!) but we grow and raise a lot of our own produce, grassfed eggs and meat, and we eat all whole foods and lots of good yummy fats (in a fire I would save my precious organic, grass-fed, heirloom breed, home-rendered leaf lard first! ). I've been a casual reader of wapf for years and recently took the plunge headlong into Fallon's NT. Wowzer, what a lot of info.
I'm looking for a recipe for a tf electrolyte drink. I crave Gatorade when pregnant (yuck!). I think I've seen a recipe that goes something like water, honey, sea salt, lemon juice? Can anyone guide me toward quenching this thirst?
ps. I noticed another Henny Penny on this thread! Hi again! We run into each other here sometimes.
#270 of 329 Old 10-18-2009, 06:40 AM

There is labor-ade drink:
http://birthing-options.suite101.com...drink_in_labor

Recipe for Laborade

If you are interested in making your own drink for labor, here is a laborade recipe taken from OmMama Pregnancy Pipeline:

1/3 cup lemon juice (preferably fresh-squeezed)

1/3 cup honey

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1-2 calcium/magnesium tablets, crushed or

1 Tb liquid calcium/magnesium supplement

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page