Mold spot on my Kombucha scoby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am making my first batch of kombucha. The tea has been fermenting for about 6 days now, and when I went to check it there seems to be a mold spot growing on the scoby. Is that normal?

I would be bummed if I already had problems on my first batch. Anyone out there know if I need to throw out my scoby and get a new starter?

I would really appreciate all info that any one else may have in brewing kombucha.

Thanks!

Living the good life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What color is the spot? If it is fuzzy and black, green or white, then yup, it's mold. But if it is a kind of very dark brown, not fuzzy, then that is likely not mold. Those yucky looking brown spots are normal. Someone else will have a better answer of what to do if it is actually mold. I thought my first batch was moldy, too, but it wasn't. Hope yours will be okay!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The spot that I think is mold could be considered brown. I sent an e-mail with a picture of the spot in question to the person who sold me the scoby and received a reply that maybe I had a yeast spot. After I did a little searching on the web, I found some pictures of mold on kombucha scobys that did not look like mine.

I also tasted the kombucha and it did not seem off.

I guess I just posted because I wanted to hear about other people's experiences brewing kombucha. I'm soooooo excited to brew my own! I hope that it works

Living the good life
Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 AM

I've read on a blog about cleaning your scoby with vinegar. The blogger cleaned everything with it when making kombucha and seems to have great success. I've never done it, but a couple of my scobies are discolored in spots, too, and it doesn't affect the final tea.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM

i started a scoby about 6 days ago and all i have gotten is the jellyfish i never got a skin across the top. i like in the desert it has been moved a few times but always kept at correct temperatures (70-80deg) is that normal the jellyfish has grown but not like most post tell you so thought i would ask.

what i mean by jelly fish is a small bubble of a scoby. i think best way to describe. i think you know what i mean just wanted to include this.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 PM

The "brown" is just spent yeast, and is a very natural part of Kombucha.
No need to worry.
Over time, my older scoby's have turned brown, do to all the spent yeast.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 AM

If your Scoby is taking forever to form try adding more starter tea. The one and only time I ever had a mold problem was when I started my 2.5 gallon continuous brew and thought I only needed a cup of starter tea.

Every site I read said "add a cup of starter tea" Well, that's because they were making small batches. You need a minimum of 10% starter tea.

Once I tossed everything and started over with 2 full bottles of starter tea I had a beautiful scoby and 2.5 gallons of ready-to-drink tea in 7 days!!!

The starter tea makes all the difference in my experience!!!

User Tag List