Insulin resistance - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Everything seems to indicate that we need more "alkaline" foods (80% of our diet), because "too much" acidity causes illness.

Pat
This is true, but from what I've seen it's not always about hte ash residue of the foods themselves but what your body needs and how it processes them. I've posted before that I started looking into this as I was eating an almost totally alkaline diet and was horribly acidic. It was only when I started eating an acidic diet (TONS of meat) that I finally went alkaline. I think it's more to do with what your body needs to heal and how deficient it is in minerals. Weird.
#32 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
In the case of weight gain around the middle, the hormone that's out of whack is usually insulin
Let's not forget cortisol too. And have we played any games to determine exactly how these hormones get out of control? I'm sensing a new thread....
#33 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Junegoddess, I would go further than Pat's warning and say no pregnant woman should start taking alpha lipoic acid. Period. It is a significant chelator of heavy metals, and now is not the time you want to start moving the metals in your body. Even without amalgam fillings, we all have this stuff, it's ubiquitous in our environment.
I'm just thirding this statement from several wise mamas!
#34 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Let's not forget cortisol too. And have we played any games to determine exactly how these hormones get out of control? I'm sensing a new thread....
I've been waiting for my (anatomy & physiology) lecture on hormones to really dive into cortisol/insulin interactions. I would LOVE to hear what games you have to play here Do you want to start the thread or should I?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#35 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:28 PM

WuWei- thanks for that list of alkaline foods. I did want to point out that quite a few foods on that list would be things that spike blood sugar, and are therefore foods that anyone who's insulin resistant would want to avoid.

bananas
pineapple
fig
dates
grapes
oranges
watermelon
apple
strawberries
pear
peach
cherry juice
black strap molasses
apricots
raisins

I have had sugar spike from all of these foods.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#36 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Lead on, MacDuff! (That qualifies as my misquote for the day ) I shall follow where you lead. I have no games up my sleeve, but all these threads tend to turn fun. Understanding things at this level is inherently a game as far as I'm concerned! Now, if we only had some strategic moves planned.
#37 of 60 Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
Lead on, MacDuff! (That qualifies as my misquote for the day ) I shall follow where you lead. I have no games up my sleeve, but all these threads tend to turn fun. Understanding things at this level is inherently a game as far as I'm concerned! Now, if we only had some strategic moves planned.
awesome. Have a blast

#38 of 60 Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I've checked myself with a glucose meter and I'm not really out of range, but I don't pass with flying colors either.

This is the fructose/insulin resistance info I'm looking at:
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/5
What are your readings like?

I've recently been getting a little fluffy around the middle (& I'm a skinny-minnie.) I've been thinking:

A.) cortisol (which I don't have much of - and fat belly usually comes from too much cortisol.)
B.) IR (but my rapid pulse, heart palps & dizziness after carbs has gone away - thank goddess.)
C.) Ds is 3 now, and I can't eat like I'm nursing a newborn anymore.

My fasting glucose & fasting insulin were great, but I've read that a fasting measure doesn't mean cr@p. Measuring all day, after a typical meal would be more telling.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#39 of 60 Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm forgetting what they were now (the glucose meter train got derailed be the biochem/detox stuff). I want to say fasting of about 90-101, and after a meal, no, I don't remember well enough to guess. It wasn't outside of 'normal' and I didn't pursue it. I just remember fasting was higher than I was hoping for (80-90), but not high enough to get me a diabetic diagnosis.

#40 of 60 Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 AM

Iodine.

Reduces need for insulin in diabetics.

One of the primary nutrients for all hormone production in body.
#41 of 60 Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 AM

Iodine is also a fantastic alkalinizer.
#42 of 60 Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 AM

What's a safe way to supplement with iodine during pregnancy?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#43 of 60 Old 05-30-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Iodine is also a fantastic alkalinizer.
Also celtic sea salt!
#44 of 60 Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
What's a safe way to supplement with iodine during pregnancy?
C'mon over to "THE Iodine Thread" I just started in H&H and we'll discuss.

The thing is that it detoxes you, so that is a concern if you start when you are pg or lactating. But on the other hand, it's so necessary. I know little about it now but would like to get a handle on it. And have the research and discussion where others can refer to it.
#45 of 60 Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

TF is all about how ancestral diets were way more nutritious, and the modern food supply is lacking, right?

Been reading about chromium for glucose tolerance. I'll copy some of the allergy chat thread stuff over here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
this was in response to my sugar spiking and feeling messed up and frustrated - Jane suggested GTF Chromium

I have been juicing Romaine lettuce since Jan, feeling great with it. During vacation I started cutting back on my juicing and have only been doing it a few days a week.
Guess what? looking up whfoods and chromium - romaine lettuce is an excellent source for chromium. go whole foods! and back to juicing.
Quote:
And Mammo, you're totally selling me on chromium. Reading about it in Gropper:
"Chromium deficiency results in insulin resistance characterized by hyperinsulinemia... Mild chromium deficiency is also a risk factor for metabolic syndrome."

Yeah, I gots me a family history of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome. Will DEFINITELY be pursuing this, especially with my returned appreciation of romaine and other greens (I wasn't liking them much since being pg with dd, suddenly with the biotin, I WANT SALAD)

Seems pretty hard to quantify good food sources, though. From whfoods:
"Furthermore, determining the chromium content of foods is problematic due to inadequate analytical tools. Consequently, currently available food composition databases do not contain accurate information about the amount of chromium found in various foods. While our food rating system qualified romaine lettuce as an excellent source of chromium and onions and tomatoes as very good sources, the following foods are also believed to provide a significant amount of chromium: brewer's yeast, oysters, liver, whole grains, bran cereals, and potatoes. Beer and wine can accumulate chromium during fermentation and are therefore considered to be dietary sources of the mineral."

For anyone interested in supplementing, it seems that the picolinate form has the same drawbacks as zinc picolinate, only more known - it binds so well that it's not really bioavailable in the bloodstream, it's just excreted. Chromium polynicotinate (chromium + niacin) seems to be a better bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
This link says brewer's yeast is the best source of chromium, weren't you making yeastie bunnies?
Quote:
yeah, from Gropper again:
"Brewer's yeast is notable because of its suspected high content of the biologically active organically complexed form of chromium often called glucose tolerance factor (GTF)."
I wonder if the same applies to nutritional yeast? Brewer's yeast is glutened...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Well, this link says no, but you can get GF brewer's yeast (grown on sugar beets, not beer, also available on amazon.com). I know a lot of people and companies use nutritional and brewer's interchangeably, so maybe it's just about figuring out if it's the right bacterial strain to have chromium?
Quote:
My Whole Foods nutritional yeast is the same strain as that link mentions, but doesn't mention chromium on the label. I might try contacting them...
Quote:
JaneS said to use GTF chromium. When I looked it up, that was stressed again that the picolinate version was [not] the right kind, nor was any other.
http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/glucose.html oh and not to have niacin with it. I didn't look beyond this site though.
Quote:
JaneS said to use GTF chromium. When I looked it up, that was stressed again that the picolinate version was the right kind, nor was any other.
http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/glucose.html oh and not to have niacin with it. I didn't look beyond this site though.
Reading back through Gropper's Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism, it says all forms of the supplement appear to be absorbed and used, but that picolinate can cause chromosomal damage in hamsters. It mentions GTF chromium in brewer's yeast, but says that the other stuff works as well. It also talks about how nobody really knows just how the chromium is doing it's magic, or what exactly the mechanism of action is.

some google scholar links:
Chromium in Human Nutrition: A Review

Chromium, Glucose Intolerance and Diabetes

USGS map of chromium in American soils

#46 of 60 Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

A more cynical perspective on chromium. He suggests chromium chloride as the safest form to supplement:
http://www.mendosa.com/chromium.htm

#47 of 60 Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Ooop, didn't see this thread when I just posted to you!

Foods "high" in chromium really depends on the soil content.

Jarrow's GTF Chromium is from yeast.
#48 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 AM

I started taking a Natrol brand supplement called Cinnamon Biotin Chromium (because, cleverly, that's what's in it.) It has made a gigantic difference in how I feel and has helped my fasting blood sugars stay a little lower. The biggest, most amazing change is that I'm not hungry. I've always been a glutton while pregnant... and I'm 19 weeks today, and eating three meals, two snacks... not constantly stuffing my face. I rarely even feel hungry before bed. It's rather disconcerting, really.

I just checked and it's the "evil" picolinate version. Hmmmm... time to go read up those links on chromium.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#49 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 AM

I only cycle while eating lowish carb (I use a lot of Nourishing Traditions ideas...good saturated fats, grassfed beef, raw cheese, good eggs, some raw milk and cream; the little bit of bread I eat is sprouted Ezekial bread, etc.). I am not overweight but I have PCOS. I take metformin (I know...lots of concerns with that for some people but I take 2000mg. I tried chromium in the past and it didn't work for me). I never cycled on my own in my life until I did metformin plus lowish carb (and I ended up w/ a surprise pregnancy after needing serious drugs to conceive my oldest child).

I also take extra D (low D has ties to PCOS/IR), cod liver oil, magnesium, we do sea salt, etc.

For me, grains are just not something that works for me that well. But I still incorporate lots of Sally Fallon's ideas, etc.

eta: I agree on the cinnamon too and have read positives about its affect on insulin.
#50 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 AM

I'm very interested in this subject. I can't take medications for IR because of their digestive side affects. I don't have a gallbladder, so I already have a problem with digestion and absorption. I'm already taking Iodoral for iodine, and can't take celtic sea salt because I have high blood pressure. I consume fermented and cultured foods every day, so my gut flora should be good. I also use raw honey in limited quantities. I take CLO and follow a strict diet with limited whole low glycemic grains and limited organic fruits, usually berries or apples. I'm definitely seeing some improvements, but my overnight fasting sugar levels go up and are sometimes as high as 115, even if they're below 100 when I go to bed.

Maybe it just takes a long time for my body to really adjust to all the changes? I have finally started to lose weight, so maybe it's just going to be a loooong process in healing and changing my body. I ate the typical American diet with all the additives, junk, and nutritionally deplete foods until this past Spring.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#51 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I started taking a Natrol brand supplement called Cinnamon Biotin Chromium (because, cleverly, that's what's in it.) It has made a gigantic difference in how I feel and has helped my fasting blood sugars stay a little lower. The biggest, most amazing change is that I'm not hungry. I've always been a glutton while pregnant... and I'm 19 weeks today, and eating three meals, two snacks... not constantly stuffing my face. I rarely even feel hungry before bed. It's rather disconcerting, really.

I just checked and it's the "evil" picolinate version. Hmmmm... time to go read up those links on chromium.
That's awesome! I just got GTF chromium and a bunch of cinnamon at the HFS. I wonder how much cinnamon I should be aiming for. Maybe I can incorporate it into smoothies or something. Mmm, and oatmeal. Good thing I love the taste.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant, so I'm extra interested

#52 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 AM

I think the usual recommendation is about a teaspoon of cinnamon per day. Naturally, I doubt more will hurt. I gave up on trying to eat enough of it, and got cinnamon capsules. Those didn't help me at all until I added chromium to the mix.

I read up on chromium a bit last night. Not sure who to believe. One article made the case for claiming that GTF chromium doesn't really exist. It's a ghost mineral. And yet, it seems to work. That's odd. And chromium picolinate, like what's in my supplement, might maybe cause DNA damage. That's not good while pregnant!! I've been taking it for about three months now, so I guess any damage that might have been done has been.

It's really hard to believe that something that helps me feel so good might not be good for the baby.

Oh, ETA: chromium chloride is recommended as the only safe, effective kind. Well, guess what... can't find it. It's apparently in some body-building shakes. Well... I can't have those for allergy reasons. Sooo... ack.

#53 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM

I think DH is headed toward the IR/metabolic syndrome situation. We've been gluten and dairy free for 2 years now, it's very good for me and the kids, but hasn't done a thing for DH--or rather, I hope it's helped him not feel worse, but he's not feeling better. I know chronic stress and adrenal fatigue are biggies for him, but I think a lot of things are reinforcing a negative cycle. We're starting grain/legume-free right now, hopefully very low refined sugar, and I'm going to keep an eye on fructose, I think it could be part of the problem for him. I think we've still got a lot of nutritious foods to choose from, and more variety than the gfcf rut I've let us slip into.

I know his liver is really stressed, I'm hoping the addition of milk thistle and the elimination of grains and legumes, and so a big reduction in lectins, will help reduce stress on his liver. Plus we're going to see if we can find a heavy punching bag for stress reduction. I think hitting something will make him happy, I think from a TCM perspective, suppressed anger is bad for the liver.

I like the discussion of leptins and insulin resistance here (it's easier to start at the bottom post and follow the discussion chronologically). I'm hoping it's a good move for us.
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/search?q=lectin
#54 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Has anyone tried goat's rue?? I used to take it when my son was nursing, but he's weaned now. Apparently it's effective in treating IR. Is there a way to take it without lactating, cause I don't want to start that again since he's weaned and I'm not expecting! Also, it says it has blood thinning and liver protectant properties. I'm on aspirin therapy to prevent clots, so I wonder what my dosage would need to be, and if I would have to stop taking it if I got pregnant?

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#55 of 60 Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Shouldn't be an issue. Goat's rue doesn't instigate supply, just helps to increase what's present. That's why herbs don't generally work if you are trying to re-lactate or induce lactation. You start with something like domperidone and once the supply is established herbs can boost it.

However many galactagogues also have this property (which is why I think they-in part- work as well as they do.) You can also try fenugreek along with the goat's rue!
#56 of 60 Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

The Safety and Efficacy of High-Dose Chromium (pdf)

Says that the toxicity studies of chromium picolinate were only in vitro and at crazy high doses. And claims no reports of toxicity in actual people. Also argues for a high dose of 1000mcg/day picolinate rather than the 200mcg that's commonly recommended. And talks about a study in pregnant women, comparing the two dosages.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x53642h07066x2j3/

Brewer's yeast seems like a better bet than GTF chromium (derived from yeast) because the extraction process might actually damage the goodness of the brewer's yeast form (pg 10) (I need to learn more about the 'biologically active' claims...)

Iron and Chromium appear to have an inverse relationship. Oxalates increase absorption while phytates decrease it.

And lots more. Definitely worth the read. Doesn't address the claims that there aren't good measures of chromium status, though, and talks about plasma/serum levels as a marker of how supplementation is going. Based on reading this, I feel much more comfortable with the picolinate form, and think I should increase my dosage (I'm currently getting 200mcg GTF chromium). Anyone happen to know how much is in the Lewis Labs (GF) brewer's yeast?

#57 of 60 Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Iron and Chromium appear to have an inverse relationship.

I didn't read the link yet, but this is interesting as Dr. Eades (a low carb guru) talks about high iron levels in many non-menstruating individuals with insulin resistance. He actually recommends donating blood, etc. to bring down (I think serum ferritin??) levels for those who aren't losing blood via a monthly cycle. I don't have my book anymore as I gave it away to someone who was looking to move toward a lower carb lifestyle. eta: again, haven't read the link yet so maybe my connection doesn't really make sense in context, but it jumped to mind.
#58 of 60 Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilcrunchie View Post
I didn't read the link yet, but this is interesting as Dr. Eades (a low carb guru) talks about high iron levels in many non-menstruating individuals with insulin resistance. He actually recommends donating blood, etc. to bring down (I think serum ferritin??) levels for those who aren't losing blood via a monthly cycle. I don't have my book anymore as I gave it away to someone who was looking to move toward a lower carb lifestyle. eta: again, haven't read the link yet so maybe my connection doesn't really make sense in context, but it jumped to mind.
Interesting. The link talks about transferrin binding both iron and chromium as the likely mechanism. I'm wondering if it explains why I've only started gaining weight and showing the more obvious signs of insulin resistance since this elimination diet/nursing has brought up my iron levels for the first time ever.

#59 of 60 Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Anyone happen to know how much is in the Lewis Labs (GF) brewer's yeast?
Found it:
190 mcg/2Tbsp
http://www.vitacost.com/Lewis-Labs-B...ngredientFacts

#60 of 60 Old 08-25-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

And another interesting article, put out by the ADA:
Role of Chromium in Human Health and in Diabetes

It backs up a lot of what the first article says, including how chromium picolinate has only been shown to cause DNA damage in vitro and not in vivo. Basically says there's potential, there's some good evidence, but that there's also a lot that shows no difference. And that a bunch of the studies weren't well designed/controlled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page