Could eating Coconut Oil be helping me tan, not burn? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTittlemouse View Post
I have heard many times that sunburns are directly related to the sun reacting with the oils in your body and have always hoped to come across some articles on the topic. It makes sense- if you are consuming oils that have a lower heat tolerance and become dangerously altered when you cook with them, then they would also react negatively when you are "cooking" in the sun. I have heard of many fair skin folks that no longer burn once they upped the clo, co, and butter.
ooh, I love how you put that, it makes complete sense!
#32 of 54 Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
Making a big leap here... so maybe this is the way we are *supposed* to be, and eating all the industrial oils and taking good fats out of our diet has triggered the problems that we have and increased the likliehood of skin cancer? Does anyone know the stats of skin cancer 30, 50, 75, 100 years ago, etc?
This is what I believe. It makes no sense to me at all that humans, regardless of skin color, would be unable to tolerate sun exposure. I think if we're eating a natural, nutrient-dense diet we have innate protection. I don't have stats, but I think the rising rates of skin cancer are because of a growing distance from the kind of foods we need to keep our bodies in good repair. Industrial foods do not provide the nutrients we need and include all kinds of toxins, leaving us vulnerable to so many diseases. I put skin cancer on the same list as all the other modern diseases, a symptom of the utterly unnatural food systems most people have become dependent upon (as well as the toxic load of the modern world).

I believe we need sun exposure, not only for vit. D synthesis but for many other bodily functions also related to hormones and metabolism.

There is no secret ingredient.
#33 of 54 Old 06-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Ok Ladies, help me flesh it out! It can't be to much longer then this, but please take it and "fix" what you feel needs fixing.
I am not a good writer, but I do my best.
I know I may not have finished out a few points as well.
I have to have it ready by Thursday.
And, I may enter it for consideration in Wise Traditions as well.......

ETA: What I need, after thinking about it, is a short version for the newsletter, and long and more technical version for WT.

Quote:
Are Sunburn and Skin Cancer a Modern Day Phenomenon?

In today’s society, we are accustomed to the warnings about sun exposure and the threat of skin cancer. We worry about getting burned, and do everything we can to make sure we cover all exposed skin with sunscreen.
We are convinced that the sun causes great harm.
I used to worry about it myself. I would find myself in front of the mirror, checking for any possible changes.
If I did spend time in the sun, without sunscreen, I would turn bright red. I remember burning so bad after a morning at the beach, that I was unable to lay down to sleep.

About a year ago, we began our journey into Traditional Foods.
We got ourselves a copy of Nourishing Traditions, and began changing how we viewed food.
We changed how we shopped for it, and how we prepared and ate it.
Processed foods no longer found there way into our shopping cart and cupboards.

If you were to open our cupboards and refrigerator up, you would find the following foods in them.
Raw milk, raw butter, high vitamin cod liver oil, whole grains, extra virgin olive oil, expeller pressed coconut oil, palm oil, celtic sea salt, organic dent corn, bottles of Kombucha, raw honey, wild game, good vegetables, etc.

No longer will you find things like vegetable oils and processed sugars and flours.
Those things do not belong in a body that was designed to eat real food.
Vegetable oils are a product of industrialization.
One of the most common oils found on supermarket shelves is Canola oil.
Canola comes from the Rape Seed, which is considered to be the most toxic seed known to man. Even birds will not eat it. They know better.
Yet, these very seeds are taken to large plants, where they go through detoxification, deodorization, bleaching and coloring. It is then bottled and labeled as being healthy and good for you. A label that does not mention the free radicals that are contained within.

When you cook with this oil, an interesting thing happens.
How many of you have had to clean out the vent system of your stove?
Its very hard work, and usually requires toxic degreasers, lots of elbow grease and a good dose of patience.
Have you ever wondered what that oil is doing to your body?
If you have not, please stop and ponder these things for a few moments.
That oil is gumming up your body the same way it is gumming up the filter in your vents.
It is clogging your arteries and your inner pipes.
It is clogging up your skin. When you go out in the sun, that oil that has already been processed beyond belief, begins to “cook and burn” again.

As you ponder these things, start cleaning your stove and vents.
When you are done, throw out the toxic cleaners you used. You will never need them again.
The next time you cook, use real butter, coconut oil, or palm oil.
Take a good dose of high vitamin cod liver oil as well.
Cleanup now only needs a soft cloth, water and a bit of soap.
Never again will that build up haunt you.
And you will be on your way to a healthy body.
A body that no longer gets burned when exposed to the sun.

I speak from personal experience and research. I am not a doctor, nor a scientist.
I prefer to look at historical records and follow the wisdom of the ancients who knew that real food meant life.
For a modern day look at real oils, particularly Coconut oil, look at the Philippines.
Skin cancer is almost unheard of in this country. Coconut plays a big role in their diet.
The same can be said of the Southern Islands.

I urge you to do your own research. Don’t take my word for it.
I also urge you to take a look at the ingredients of any sunscreens you may have in your possession. Jot down how many known carcinogens are in them.
Determine if these are things you want on your skin and on the skin of your loved ones.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#34 of 54 Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I now have a mild sunburn! I was in the pool from 10-12 yesterday, with a bit of sunscreen applied by my 5 yo... I got pretty pink. But it does seem to be fading. I still think it is less severe than it would normally be... so sunscreen applied well is still necessary for me, but I am a bit less stressed about getting unexpected burns, which is what got me in the past.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#35 of 54 Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.schwartz View Post
I'm looking as well. I just bought some at KWF's on sale for $7.00 for 24 oz....but I'd like to do a buying club or coop for a much larger quantity. Let me know if you find some place.
I just got online to shop around! I definitely need another 5 gallon bucket. I'll let you know what I find... Miss you guys!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#36 of 54 Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM

PaulaJoAnne -- I thought the article was fantastic, very well-written and readable. My only suggestion would be that you state the part about the oil "cooking" on our skin in the sun as if it were a fact, when really it's just your own theory ... I think?

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#37 of 54 Old 06-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
PaulaJoAnne -- I thought the article was fantastic, very well-written and readable. My only suggestion would be that you state the part about the oil "cooking" on our skin in the sun as if it were a fact, when really it's just your own theory ... I think?
Thank you for noticing that. Certainlyu not my intention.
Would it not be cool if that could be proven though?

#38 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM

I've been cooking/baking with CO for a couple of months now and love it. I just started to take Cod Liver Oil after hearing about the skin benefits. I am also very fair and freckled. If I can prevent just one more freckle, that would be wonderful!

I get my CO and CLO from www.iherb.com
They have Nutiva Extra Virgin CO 54 oz. for $22 and it is always really fresh. Use coupon code TIN857 for $5 off your first order.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#39 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Cool info! My kids and I are blonde and blue eyed and we seem to tan well. People are already remarking on how tan they are. I was actually suprised how long they have been in the sun without turing red. My 15 month old dd with white hair and blue eyes just gets browner...she has had traditional fats since conception and seemed to have a little darker skin tone when she was born. (We have been eating traditonal fats for a little over 3 years.)

I started intentional sun exposure last year and even though I am fair I can tan quite well and hardly ever sunburn after my base tan. (I use to use sunscreen often) We are doing very dangerous things here people--getting lots of sun and eating lots of fats and now we are tan, happy, and healthy. Life is great!

About melanoma--Our family friend who lived in Oregon (little sun) just died from it and someone in my church had it in her nasal cavity---Something else has to cause this. It will probably take another 40 years for mainsteam medicine to start promoting sun and telling us to limit suncreen use.

I also read that if you cannot tan it can mean low zinc which I have corrected so maybe that is helping as well.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#40 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, within 1-2 days of burning a bit earlier this week, my redness faded considerably, and now I just have a very light tan. I never get *very* dark, but I have tan lines, woo-hoo!

The weird thing... my skin LOOKED red, and felt maybe a bit itchy, but didn't actually HURT.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#41 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 PM

I'm getting browner and browner myself. I am spending over 4 hours per day in the sun, and we have a far more intense sun in Alaska, being that we are so close to the arctic circle.
I have even started putting coconut oil on my face, and my complexion is getting better everyday.

#42 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
: this is so cool!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#43 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 PM

You ladies are more then welcome to pass my article on to others.
I would prefer you just put my initials with it, rather then my whole name.
Not sure I could handle the flame throwers just yet, LOL!

#44 of 54 Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
Well, within 1-2 days of burning a bit earlier this week, my redness faded considerably, and now I just have a very light tan. I never get *very* dark, but I have tan lines, woo-hoo!

The weird thing... my skin LOOKED red, and felt maybe a bit itchy, but didn't actually HURT.
I second that slight itchy feeling when I got a wee bit pink at the beginning.
After spending all day outside.
I was brown the next morning.
I am wondering what will happen next year, when I will have been free of industrial oils for two full years?

#45 of 54 Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM

PaulaJoAnne, I think you did a wonderful job on your article. The only thing I noticed was one spelling error.

Quote:
As you ponder these things, start cleaning your stove and vents.
When you are done, through out the toxic cleaners you used. You will never need them again.
Change through to throw Spell check doesn't catch these things b/c they are not really "misspelled."

Also, thanks to the lady that mentioned zinc. I'm going to look into this.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#46 of 54 Old 06-07-2009, 10:22 AM

I am so glad you brought this to my attention. DH is actually kinda agreeing with me, that my burn time has changed and i have tan lines. i love it when something that doesn't involve chemicals and pills and lotions works! we aren't crappy oil free, it is in the processed foods we occasionally eat, i even noticed sunflower oil was in my dried fruit from TJ's

So, my question is about the smell. I really don't like the smell or taste of coconut, unless it is shredded in a cookie. do you think adding tea tree oil to it would alter it at all (for topical purposes, not cooking!)? i noticed when i was using the two at the same time the tea tree overpowered the coconut, and i like TTO very much. i made the fudge mentioned above and it was good, i think i will add mint to it to negate the coconut taste. the kids love it.
#47 of 54 Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM

Well, I use refined from tropical traditions and it doesn't really smell like anything. But yes, adding eo's topically in your co is fine. I have a little unrefined that I am trying to use up and put my black pheonix alchemy lab perfume oils in it and massage THAT all over my hair and body. I smell great all day!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#48 of 54 Old 06-07-2009, 02:08 PM

I am assuming that unrefined is better than refined so am trying to stick with that. I have refined that i use for cooking but figure the more processed the less effective.
#49 of 54 Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM

This coconut oil thing rocks! I assume though, for people who are all of a sudden trying CO w/o a long term change in healthy oil consumption the CO wouldn't work very well. I am happy that we have been staying away from the processed oils for awhile, and now the addition of CO topically (and more conscious consumption) is allowing me to be out in the sun at 3pm without burn. Compared to the past reality of getting a debilitating sunburn at 4pm, 3pm w/o problems is a dream! I still have my hat and long sleeve white shirt for the peak hours of course.

The only thing I can't figure out is powder makeup w/ CO on my face. I wear makeup maybe 4 times/yr (haven't for months) and haven't tried it yet w/ CO, but how will my powder foundation (Aubrey) work when it takes 1/2 hr for the CO to really soak in? Anyone have experience with powdered foundation soon after application of CO?
#50 of 54 Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post
The only thing I can't figure out is powder makeup w/ CO on my face. I wear makeup maybe 4 times/yr (haven't for months) and haven't tried it yet w/ CO, but how will my powder foundation (Aubrey) work when it takes 1/2 hr for the CO to really soak in? Anyone have experience with powdered foundation soon after application of CO?
I have no idea, but am watching for others to answer. What I'd like to know simply is how to keep ANY makeup from sliding right off my face when I am outside and sweating, lol!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#51 of 54 Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM

I have never tanned without burning in my life, and just last week I was out for an hour in direct sunlight without burning! I don't know if it's the CO, but since I have yet to fully adopt a TF diet, and CO is one of the few changes I've made, I'd say it's definitely possible!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#52 of 54 Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM

We are burning less, too. My red head is the one I worry about most. I took her back to Hawaii when she was a baby and only used CO (not good quality. Just what was sold at the local store b/c I did not want to risk traveling with CO) on her and a hat and we were out a lot. Never even got red. Now I make a sunscreen from coconut oil my midwife/herbalist told me about and it's working really well for us!
1 c coconut oil
1/2 oz chaparral tincture
1/2 oz Oregon Grape Root tincture
I sometimes add beeswax to make it more portable. I've also added lavendar EO b/c my girls HATE the smell of the chaparral. Anyway, that's our usual sunscreen, when I feel compelled to use one. Now, we did burn at a lake last year, so do appease dh I use "regular" sunscreen for extended days near water. But even that burn healed really quickly.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#53 of 54 Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM

My first "non-burn" experience was yesterday. ODS had a Little League game and there was not a cloud in the sky. I applied CO liberally on myself. I applied California Baby sunscreen to my kids. We were all red yesterday after the game, but by morning mine has faded into a nice tan. The kids' shoulders are all still red. I'm sold! CO it is!

I have never, not once, tanned in my entire life. I have always burned and faded back to white until today. It's quite amazing.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#54 of 54 Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 PM

We went bike riding on Friday and were out way longer than planned during the hottest part of the day (11-4). I've previously gotten sun burns bad enough that have produced quarter-sized blisters all over my body, especially here in Colorado. Anyway, Friday I was pretty pink when we got home, but I had a nice tan by Saturday morning. The only part of me that is still a little pink is the place where I usually wear my watch, so it hardly ever sees the sun...but even that is not too bad. I eat some CO, but not tons, but my saturated fats intake has gone way up and the veggie oils intake has gone way down in the last few months.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page