Fermented Salsa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to make a fermented salsa without whey, and I couldn't find a recipe in Wild Fermentation. I have on hand tomatoes, onion, garlic, lemon, ACV and regular vinegar. Does anyone know how, PLEASE!!!

Also does anyone know how to make fermented apple butter with fresh apples?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM

I haven't done salsa but I do fruit butters all the time with fresh fruit but I do use whey.

Just make apple butter then add honey & whey. I am not sure how to make it without the whey since I think salt would ruin the taste. I make the fruit butters in my crockpot. Cooking down the fruit, mashing, straining and returning to cook down some more.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstump View Post
I haven't done salsa but I do fruit butters all the time with fresh fruit but I do use whey.

Just make apple butter then add honey & whey. I am not sure how to make it without the whey since I think salt would ruin the taste. I make the fruit butters in my crockpot. Cooking down the fruit, mashing, straining and returning to cook down some more.
How much whey do you use? Do you let the fruit butter sit out overnight or for how long? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM

I use what NT has in the recipe. I don't have my book with me...I lent it out.

I think it is about 1/4 C to 1 qt. I make the apple butter, add in the honey to taste. I think the recipe is almost 1/2 honey...I don't like it that sweet. I also add in lots of spices. When I have it to taste. I fill up a qt jar with a good amount of headspace then add in the whey and stir well. I leave it out for a couple of days. Then put in the frig. It says in NT that it only lasts a month. But I have found unopened and well fermented...it can last atleast a year. I found one tucked in the back of my frig and it was just like the day I made it.

I do put it all in sterile jars as if I am canning (I don't can it) just boil the jars because I don't want any competing bad bacterias.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM

okay, this is kind of nutty, but have you ever had salsa from a salsa bar that was fermented? i used to think they were "bad" but i think all you need to do is let it sit out overnight.

i've never tried it though....

eh. who needs a signature?

User Tag List