TF, GF Chocolate Cake w/ Black Beans! YUMMY! - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Traditional Foods > TF, GF Chocolate Cake w/ Black Beans! YUMMY!
FairyRae's Avatar FairyRae 10:11 PM 07-14-2009
I made this today, using soaked, then sprouted garbanzo beans (instead of black beans), w/ the honey/stevia blend for sweetner. I also used coconut oil in place of the butter.

SOOOOOOO yummy!! My gluten/processed food eating mom loved it too, and my can-be-picky hubby liked it as well! It's my new favorite recipe...

Enjoy! :

From the above link:

Quote:
Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake
Adapted from a recipe at LowCarbFriends

Makes a single 9" layer cake, which can be halved and stacked for the taller cake you see here!

Ingredients:
1-15 ounce can of unseasoned black beans
OR 1 1/4 cup cooked beans, any color
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR extra virgin coconut oil
3/4 cup erythritol plus 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract OR 1/4-1/3 cup honey plus 1 teaspoon stevia
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon water (omit if using honey)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter. Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute. Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then spray the parchment lightly.

Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water. Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender. Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps! Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Beat butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy. Add remaining two eggs, beating for a minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix. Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth. Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top. Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.

Bake for 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done with the top is rounded and firm to the touch. After 10 minutes, turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to a cooling rack. Let cool until cake reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap or with cake dome (I use an overturned plastic chip bowl). For BEST flavor, let cake sit over night. I promise this cake will not have a hint of beaniness after letting it sit for eight hours! If you are stacking this cake, level the top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until it is flat and even. Frost immediately before serving

PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 10:28 PM 07-14-2009
Awsome!
I literally just made that this afternoon. One word. Decadent!!!
crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama 11:04 PM 07-14-2009
Thanks for the review I have been wanting to make this but have never got around to it. I will have to try it for our anniversary Friday.
PeggyinNC's Avatar PeggyinNC 12:28 AM 07-15-2009
The only stevia I use is the real green leaves. Could I just use the same amount of that, powdered? Or use more honey? What about subbing rapadura instead of honey/stevia? It sounds soooo good!
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 12:36 AM 07-15-2009
I just used honey. It makes it so very moist. Mine differs very slightly, so it calls for 3-4 cup of honey.
The texture is amazing. Think about the best chocolate pudding cake mix that you have ever eaten.
FairyRae's Avatar FairyRae 10:54 AM 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
I just used honey. It makes it so very moist. Mine differs very slightly, so it calls for 3-4 cup of honey.
The texture is amazing. Think about the best chocolate pudding cake mix that you have ever eaten.

Are you saying 3/4 cups of honey? I think I'd prefer to do all honey next time instead of using stevia (I don't LOVE stevia in baked goods). I bet it gives it an extra moistness as well.

Mmmmm....

And sorry Peggy--I've never used stevia leaves so I'm not sure a/b that...
amcal's Avatar amcal 12:28 PM 07-15-2009
Does anyone know if the stevia is necessary? I think I'm allergic to it - it gives me wicked headaches every time I use it. Could I just use all erythritol?
stilllearning85's Avatar stilllearning85 02:24 PM 07-15-2009
I have made this a bunch of times and I just use honey and no stevia and it works great!
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 02:45 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Are you saying 3/4 cups of honey? I think I'd prefer to do all honey next time instead of using stevia (I don't LOVE stevia in baked goods). I bet it gives it an extra moistness as well.

Mmmmm....

And sorry Peggy--I've never used stevia leaves so I'm not sure a/b that...
All honey. I have never used Stevia.
I like to stick with all unprocessed foods.
FairyRae's Avatar FairyRae 03:31 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Mine differs very slightly, so it calls for 3-4 cup of honey.
I'm sorry PaulaJoAnne, I was asking about the measurements here. Do you use 3 or 4 cups of honey, or just three-quarters of a cup of honey? (I'm thinking you mean 3/4 of a cup). Just want to try it this way next time w/out stevia.

Thanks again!
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 08:29 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I'm sorry PaulaJoAnne, I was asking about the measurements here. Do you use 3 or 4 cups of honey, or just three-quarters of a cup of honey? (I'm thinking you mean 3/4 of a cup). Just want to try it this way next time w/out stevia.

Thanks again!
three quarters. If you use a dash, it means 3 to 4 the slash is tha tfraction sign.
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 08:30 PM 07-15-2009
You ladies will enjoy reading this poor ladies mishap with this recipe.
Be warned, you might pee your pants!
http://manyweavers.blogspot.com/2009...27302427618530
FairyRae's Avatar FairyRae 09:46 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
It was supposed to be made with canned/cooked black beans, NOT DRIED!!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!!!! I guess i wasn't, at least not until our house became a gas bomb in danger of blowing up (after effects of eating unsoaked beans) and i had puke to clean up.
laughup That WOULD make a difference!!

Thanks for the measurement clarification too! I'm totally going to go w/ all honey next time--it's what I prefer in baking (or maple syrup--yum!) :
paquerette's Avatar paquerette 10:08 PM 07-15-2009
I have black beans soaking for dinner tomorrow. Dinner... or cake. What a decision! :
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 10:09 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I have black beans soaking for dinner tomorrow. Dinner... or cake. What a decision! :
Have the cake for dinner! Its high in protein and good fats, and its low carbs!
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 09:56 AM 07-16-2009
Yes, unsoaked beans can make one very sick.

Toxicity

Before they are eaten, the raw bean seeds should be soaked in water for several hours and then boiled for at least ten minutes in new fresh water to degrade a toxic compound - the lectin phytohaemagglutinin - found in the bean which would otherwise cause severe gastric upset.

This compound is present in many varieties (and in some other species of bean), but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and white kidney beans (Cannellini beans). Although in the case of dry beans the ten minutes required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves, outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers whose low cooking temperatures may be unable to degrade the toxin. Sprouts of pulses high in haemaglutins should not be eaten. Kidney beans, especially, should not be soaked or sprouted.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bean

(ie. no raw kidney beans. Just like 4-8 could kill a person, iirc.) Canned beans are pre-soaked and pre-cooked, generally, in America, per my understanding.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html

This cake sounds fascinating! I'm planning to make the recipe. Thanks.

Pat
gilamama's Avatar gilamama 11:47 AM 07-16-2009
subbing
leila1213's Avatar leila1213 02:27 PM 07-16-2009
I made this for DD's birthday and everyone loved it!!! Including DSS, who was really disappointed to learn the bean secret, lol!!
amcal's Avatar amcal 02:43 AM 07-17-2009
I made this tonight and it was sooo good! My kids are sucking it down as I'm typing

I used all erythritol with a splash of raw honey.

I also didn't want to frost it so, I just melted down some all fruit raspberry preserves and poured it over the top right before taking it out of the oven. It was fantastic!
3boobykins's Avatar 3boobykins 02:29 PM 07-17-2009
I hope my erythritol arrives today, because I am SO making this if it does. DH and I have been grain/sugar free for a week and are feeling amazing. DH LOVES flourless chocolate cake, and we are ready for a treat. I think this would be great with unsweetened whipped cream and some berries on top.
swood's Avatar swood 04:34 PM 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Yes, unsoaked beans can make one very sick.

Toxicity

Before they are eaten, the raw bean seeds should be soaked in water for several hours and then boiled for at least ten minutes in new fresh water to degrade a toxic compound - the lectin phytohaemagglutinin - found in the bean which would otherwise cause severe gastric upset.

This compound is present in many varieties (and in some other species of bean), but is especially concentrated in red kidney beans and white kidney beans (Cannellini beans). Although in the case of dry beans the ten minutes required to degrade the toxin is much shorter than the hours required to fully cook the beans themselves, outbreaks of poisoning have been associated with the use of slow cookers whose low cooking temperatures may be unable to degrade the toxin. Sprouts of pulses high in haemaglutins should not be eaten. Kidney beans, especially, should not be soaked or sprouted.[1][2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bean

(ie. no raw kidney beans. Just like 4-8 could kill a person, iirc.) Canned beans are pre-soaked and pre-cooked, generally, in America, per my understanding.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/ar...poisoning.html

This cake sounds fascinating! I'm planning to make the recipe. Thanks.

Pat

whoa! kidney beans should not be soaked or sprouted? is that only from raw? what about dried kidney beans that have been sprouted, then cooked?

I made sprouted chili a few weeks ago with kidney and pintos. i cooked the sprouted beans per NT (maybe that's why she says to cook sprouted beans?)

no one in my house got sick...
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 05:14 PM 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swood View Post
whoa! kidney beans should not be soaked or sprouted? is that only from raw? what about dried kidney beans that have been sprouted, then cooked?

I made sprouted chili a few weeks ago with kidney and pintos. i cooked the sprouted beans per NT (maybe that's why she says to cook sprouted beans?)

Cooking them afterwards is the correct thing to do.
In fact it is advisable to do this with all sprouts anyway.
WuWei's Avatar WuWei 06:14 PM 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by swood View Post

Yeah, I felt the quote didn't expressly note that it is RAW soaked or RAW sprouted kidney beans which are the danger. Well-cooked beans are ok, per my understanding.

Pat
eirual's Avatar eirual 10:52 PM 07-21-2009
So when making this cake I'll soak the dried beans, then boil, then go about the recipe?

I think I've cooked all beans I've sprouted, but maybe not in things like bean salad....hmm...good to know!
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 04:58 AM 07-22-2009
This recipe would make excellent Whoopie Pies!
Any ideas on how we could make a TF filling?
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 04:59 AM 07-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
So when making this cake I'll soak the dried beans, then boil, then go about the recipe?

I think I've cooked all beans I've sprouted, but maybe not in things like bean salad....hmm...good to know!
Yes, just soak, cook and cool, and you will be set to go!
I cheated with the firist ones, and used canned
crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama 10:49 AM 07-22-2009
http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-twinkies/

There is a recipe for some grain/gluten free twinkies w/ filling- obviously replacing the agave w/ raw honey. I am sure there are other recipes for more of a dairy based filling.
Teenytoona's Avatar Teenytoona 05:12 PM 10-16-2009
so this recipe is for a 9 inch round cake pan?

Also, what is erythritol can I just use honey instead?
stilllearning85's Avatar stilllearning85 05:37 PM 10-16-2009
I always use honey instead in her recipes. Works just fine! Maybe add less liquid.
FairyRae's Avatar FairyRae 12:19 PM 08-29-2010

because its yummy!
1 2 

Up