Mothering Forum banner

Making nettle infusion

701 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  fjernsyn 
#1 ·
What is the best way to strain nettle infusion? I have a metal fine meshed strainer but it isn't getting everything out. Is it okay to drink small amounts of the leaves or do I need to get it all strained out?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bright_eyes View Post
What is the best way to strain nettle infusion? I have a metal fine meshed strainer but it isn't getting everything out. Is it okay to drink small amounts of the leaves or do I need to get it all strained out?
I'm in the same boat. I always end up eating a few leaves here and there. It's no biggies though. I love nettles

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I never have any issues because I use a french press which is very fine.
This is a great idea. It never occurred to me to use a french press. I always just poured everything into a mason jar and then strained the next day. I shall try this next time.

#10 ·
I make mine in a half gallon jar, then strain it the next day using a nut milk bag, which you can get from raw food websites or health food stores. A cheaper, more widely available option, which I use just as often is a paint strainer bag. It's similar to a nut milk bag - white mesh, only instead of closing with drawstrings, it has an elastic top. They're cheap at any hardware store, just wash it really well before using.

My only tip with using a mesh bag like this is to turn it inside out, so that the seam is on the outside. This way, the nettle leaves never come in contact with the seam, which is the hardest part to clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.