Liver...blahhhhh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost bought some liver today online for DD and I buuuutttt I chickened out

So I bought Dr. Ron's liver caps instead.
How many should I take daily? Also taking FCLO.
Can I open up a cap and sprinkle it on DD's food?

Thanks
#2 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Well, I think the package says something like 6 caps equals 1 ounce of fresh organ meat. This seems very small to me, wouldn't a person back in the day have eaten 3-6 ounces as a serving? We decided we'd go broke even doing 6 caps for DH and I each and 3 for DS (15 a day- and that's just .5-1 ounce each), so we're planning to suck it up and find some liver recipes we can stomach (lots of onions and bacon or ground and mixed into meatloaf).

Good luck!
#3 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 AM

If you get up the courage to buy liver again, you might try soaking it in wine, soy sauce, buttermilk or some other fermented liquid for 12 hours (overnight) to mask the taste. I soak mine in wine and/or soy sauce and my kids even like it when I cook liver.
#4 of 20 Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofhercastle View Post
If you get up the courage to buy liver again, you might try soaking it in wine, soy sauce, buttermilk or some other fermented liquid for 12 hours (overnight) to mask the taste. I soak mine in wine and/or soy sauce and my kids even like it when I cook liver.
I've always hated it. DH loves it and I grew up watching my mom and grandma eat but even the smell makes my stomach turn.
When frozen does it smell? May be i could swallow small chunks frozen?
#5 of 20 Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 AM

It's completely odorless when frozen. Try the "chop up into tiny slivers and swallow like pills" trick -- it's an easy way of getting raw liver in. (Remember to freeze at 0*F for at least 30 days if you're eating it raw.) If you've got a really leafy green smoothie, you can throw some raw frozen liver into the blender (though YBMV -- a Vitamix will pretty much pulverize anything) with an intensely-flavored fruit like fresh raspberries.

If you haven't tried it diced and sauteed with lots of butter and onions and mushrooms, served over warm sourdough toast, do give it another try! I like to get some raw as well, but sauteed as bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers now. Trust me, I never, EVER thought I would enjoy eating liver!

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#6 of 20 Old 08-07-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemama1 View Post
It's completely odorless when frozen. Try the "chop up into tiny slivers and swallow like pills" trick -- it's an easy way of getting raw liver in. (Remember to freeze at 0*F for at least 30 days if you're eating it raw.) If you've got a really leafy green smoothie, you can throw some raw frozen liver into the blender (though YBMV -- a Vitamix will pretty much pulverize anything) with an intensely-flavored fruit like fresh raspberries.

If you haven't tried it diced and sauteed with lots of butter and onions and mushrooms, served over warm sourdough toast, do give it another try! I like to get some raw as well, but sauteed as bruschetta is one of my favorite appetizers now. Trust me, I never, EVER thought I would enjoy eating liver!
ok perhaps I'll try I''ll have togive that some thought lol. It's only freezing it for 14 days If your cooking it?
#7 of 20 Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I eat it raw. I could never afford to buy liver capsules & certainly wouldn't be able to take as many as I needed.

I keep liver in the freezer. Take it out for about 10 minutes just so the edges begin to thaw. Then I slice off a few chunks & chop them into pill sized pieces. I then sprinkle them with Celtic salt & kelp flakes. I scoop up 3-4 pieces with my fingers, plop them as far back on my tongue as possible & swallow with a gulp of water. If I get them far enough back on my tongue, I usually don't taste it. I end up eating about the size of two eggs worth, if that makes sense. Oh, and the boost (both mental & physical) is AMAZING!! It lasts a long time with no drop off like you get from caffeine.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#8 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 AM

If you can get it I would recommend wild liver. Deer especially is much milder in taste and smell than beef liver. My husband loves deer and moose liver (moose especially), but has trouble with beef. I like both personally. I am looking for recipies or ways to eat beef liver since we can't just go out and shoot a deer to get our liver every week. Raw is an option, but wouldn't be the first for me. I'd like to find a different way to eat it.

I find that I can psyche myself up to like things knwoing that they will be good for me. I was never a fan of liver before, or sour tart foods like plain yogurt. After doing the reading and research that led me to traditional foods I easily adopted foods with stronger flavours and I feel that mind over matter is the reason for that. I knew I would be eating these foods as part of my regular diet, and that they were good for me, so I would like them. And, I do.

Skye, wife to Aaron (5 yrs), lucky step Mama to his daughter Blaire (10), primal Mama to our toddler James (2), expecting another in Nov 2010, and working on sustainability at the lake.
#9 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 AM

You know, we love liver here. In fact every time I make it, I'm always shocked at how good it tastes because I hear about how people hate it so much lol :

Anyways, try chopping it up with a food grater or something similar and adding to ground beef or chili. It will be virtually tasteless. We do this a lot and unsuspecting visitors never can tell. So sometimes I think it may be more in our heads than anything else lol : Good luck!
#10 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 01:44 AM

what about eating liverwurst? Is that the right kind of liver? I don't mind the taste of that...

Attachment-Parenting mom to darling DS : (January 2006). : : : : :
#11 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyerae View Post
If you can get it I would recommend wild liver. Deer especially is much milder in taste and smell than beef liver. My husband loves deer and moose liver (moose especially), but has trouble with beef. I like both personally. I am looking for recipies or ways to eat beef liver since we can't just go out and shoot a deer to get our liver every week. Raw is an option, but wouldn't be the first for me. I'd like to find a different way to eat it.

I find that I can psyche myself up to like things knwoing that they will be good for me. I was never a fan of liver before, or sour tart foods like plain yogurt. After doing the reading and research that led me to traditional foods I easily adopted foods with stronger flavours and I feel that mind over matter is the reason for that. I knew I would be eating these foods as part of my regular diet, and that they were good for me, so I would like them. And, I do.
Do you worry about Lyme bacteria in the deer liver - when eaten raw? I'm so freaked out by Lyme that I won't even eat venison cooked. And then I say to myself - why would deer have Lyme & not cows if they're roaming the same fields? And I certainly eat raw beef liver....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#12 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Is beef liver the most beneficial?
What about chicken/turkey liver think I eat that with out Thanksgiving stuffing.
The smell of beef liver truly makes me want to throw up. I will try it frozen eventually.

Mestasquoia-
It really gives you that much energy? Do you do this daily?
If you do liver often do you still take CLO daily?
#13 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Is beef liver the most beneficial?
What about chicken/turkey liver think I eat that with out Thanksgiving stuffing.
The smell of beef liver truly makes me want to throw up. I will try it frozen eventually.

Mestasquoia-
It really gives you that much energy? Do you do this daily?
If you do liver often do you still take CLO daily?
Yes, the energy is amazing! I should eat it daily & I try to, but it doesn't always happen. When I'm dragging, I suddenly remember - LIVER! So I try to take it regularly before that slump happens.

Yes, I still take CLO. I had discussed this in another thread - the need to take CLO if eating regular amounts of liver & I just haven't stopped the CLO. I also take additional D, so theoretically, I could probably just eat liver & take D....but I'm afraid to stop taking the wonderful CLO!

Here's a list of various liver analysis. And here's the data for raw beef liver. You can compare various animals' livers.

#14 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Do you worry about Lyme bacteria in the deer liver - when eaten raw? I'm so freaked out by Lyme that I won't even eat venison cooked. And then I say to myself - why would deer have Lyme & not cows if they're roaming the same fields? And I certainly eat raw beef liver....
I live in Alberta Canada where Lyme disease is not a problem, so I would eat fresh raw liver. As far as I know you can't get Lyme disease from eating venison. Most of the worry is from coming in contact with a tick by virture of being around the deer. And generally we hunt when ticks are dormant so even if there were infected ticks in my area we are already avoiding exposure for the most part.

We are a hunting family, and we hunt for food. We're lucky that we live in an area where there is almost no risk of lyme disease. But even still, it would not be a deterrent. It is the main source of protein in our diets. We could not afford to eat so well if we had to find other sources of healthy meat. And, it's really good. LOL

Skye, wife to Aaron (5 yrs), lucky step Mama to his daughter Blaire (10), primal Mama to our toddler James (2), expecting another in Nov 2010, and working on sustainability at the lake.
#15 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Perhaps you mean Chronic Wasting Disease? Which can be a worry, but if there are no cases in your area and the deer appear to be healthy it is not a problem. I believe you can also get your deer tested if you have it processed by a butcher. Deer seem to get it, but other animals don't, it sounds like what your describing. If it makes you feel better, unless something has recently changed, there has never been a human case of someone contracting it.
#16 of 20 Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I end up eating about the size of two eggs worth, if that makes sense. Oh, and the boost (both mental & physical) is AMAZING!! It lasts a long time with no drop off like you get from caffeine.
hmm, i've been taking 4-6 pill size pieces. it's helped, but now i'm thinking i should try to take more. i usually wash it down with milk, that really seems to help mask the flavor.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#17 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeadowSong_ View Post
Perhaps you mean Chronic Wasting Disease? Which can be a worry, but if there are no cases in your area and the deer appear to be healthy it is not a problem. I believe you can also get your deer tested if you have it processed by a butcher. Deer seem to get it, but other animals don't, it sounds like what your describing. If it makes you feel better, unless something has recently changed, there has never been a human case of someone contracting it.
No, I mean Lyme disease. We live in a VERY high risk area, I think second only to CT. as far as statistics.

Lyme is almost always chronic in deer (& other animals), so if they contracted it, they'd have it forever. From what I've read, eating raw, Lyme bacteria infected meat can lead to infection. Some people even think raw milk can transmit Lyme, but I can't believe that Mother Nature would allow such a flaw. If anything, I think it would provide antibodies. There was a doctor who had chronic Lyme & he injected the udder of a cow with the Lyme bacteria & drank the colostrum supposedly healing himself. Makes sense to me.

Lyme has made it to every continent, but some places (like the East Coast of the states) are more heavily infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
hmm, i've been taking 4-6 pill size pieces. it's helped, but now i'm thinking i should try to take more. i usually wash it down with milk, that really seems to help mask the flavor.
Yes, try more! I really should weight what I eat so I can have a more scientific explanation rather than saying "2 eggs worth."

#18 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 06:03 PM

What's the difference between eating it raw or cooked? Nutritionally, that is. I should be getting some liver with my next beef order and I'm a newbie to it! I was going to try adding small amounts to recipes (throw it in with some ground beef, e.g.), but wasn't thinking about eating it raw...
#19 of 20 Old 08-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swood View Post
What's the difference between eating it raw or cooked? Nutritionally, that is. I should be getting some liver with my next beef order and I'm a newbie to it! I was going to try adding small amounts to recipes (throw it in with some ground beef, e.g.), but wasn't thinking about eating it raw...
Post # 13 has a link so you can compare the two.

I eat it raw because I think it tastes gross cooked. I'd rather swallow it whole. And I'd rather eat my burgers plain & tasty than "contaminate" them with nasty liver flavor. But that's just me.

I do like ground heart added to burgers (but I also like plain grilled heart...)

#20 of 20 Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM

i looked up the raw liver nutrition facts from the above link.... it says it has trans fats? anyone know anything about that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page