I need fat... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just reading about fat/protein/carb ratios on a thread here and it got me thinking about how little fat I eat in the scheme of things.

What do you guys eat to put yourself in the 50-80% fat margin? What about those who don't eat dairy? How do you eat enough fat, yet keep protein at a reasonable level (they seem to rise with each other)? What about for those who don't eat sweeteners or much fruit (so no coconut oil sweets or smoothies)?

TIA!

Sarah, wife to dh, mama to dd 1/07/03 and ds 3/30/05
#2 of 24 Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't eat dairy (or corn, soy, or gluten). I started tracking my intake on Fitday.com. I was getting 45-60% fat, and my proteins weren't up there with it. I drink coconut milk, use coconut oil. Eat a lot of pine nuts (and some walnuts). Lots of fruits and veggies. Eggs. Bone broths. Hardly any processed foods (potato chips is my one vice). I also eat fattier meat (sausage, bacon, ham, beef, salmon, etc.). And I use the drippings to make gravy (with bone broth). It's apparently how I've managed to maintain my weight even on a restricted diet. And I figure they're not bad fats, so it's fine.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 24 Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 PM

I'm definitely not in the 50-80% range, I have no clue where I am. but we try to eat a lot of fat. We eat lots of butter on everything (veggies, bread, pasta), we use lots of olive oil and coconut oil (bread, stir fry, fried rice, pasta sauce. We love makeing things like fried scrambled eggs with sauted onions in butter or chicken fat. we eat fatty cuts of meat. whole milk. gravy. cream every single day. (yes, every single day. its only 1 pint per week for two people. but we eat some everyday)

but I can't imagine getting into eating 50% of your calories from fat (I assume thats what you mean). I imagine we're more like 15%. now I'm curious. maybe its higher.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godusjourney View Post
I was just reading about fat/protein/carb ratios on a thread here and it got me thinking about how little fat I eat in the scheme of things.

What do you guys eat to put yourself in the 50-80% fat margin? What about those who don't eat dairy? How do you eat enough fat, yet keep protein at a reasonable level (they seem to rise with each other)? What about for those who don't eat sweeteners or much fruit (so no coconut oil sweets or smoothies)?

TIA!
We eat lots of butter, lots of cream (I add extra to my whole milk) and douse my oatmeal in it. Bacon, sausage, coconut oil before meals, coconut milk in soups with bone broth, Olive oil, bacon grease and lard for cooking and bacon grease for salad dressing, high fat cheeses.

I'm looking for a good source of really fatty ham, I'd love to have that for breakfast! Yum!

My protein seems to be staying in the 10-20% level and my carbs are usually around 25%.

The other part of keeping fat % high is keeping carbs low. I know that my fat % would be much higher if I drank less milk, that's where most of my carbs come from.
#5 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Subbing. I'm now on the Paleo diet and probably will be for a very long time (new baby with food sensitivities). I really need to be deriving upwards of 70% of my calories from fat but I'm still figuring out how to get that much (dairy free although I do cook with ghee and lots of lard of course ). I'd love some ideas.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#6 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

When tracking I run at 50-60% with about 100+ g of protein per day(I am striving for high protein as I am pregnant). I cook everything w/ oil- lots of oil. I eat fattier cuts of meat- skin on my chicken homemade pork sausage for breakfast. Mayo is a good condiment I try to eat Paleo as well. If I do smoothies I add in oil. I generally don't do a lot of sweets or fruit- however if I do it is w/ full fat coconut milk and low glycemic fruit like berries a bit of homemade vanilla- some nuts and some coconut concentrate- no added sweeteners. Lots of nuts- lots of full fat coconut milk- eggs- etc. I would not be so adament for meat at every meal if I was trying to lower my protein but I feel better w/ a higher protein for my blood suar plus as I said pregnant woman are to strive for a high amount.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#7 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM

i'm paleo and rely on nuts, eggs, oils (flaxseed, canola, walnut and olive) and meats for fat. avacodos, too.

find a nutball recipe online that you like for snacking throughout the day.

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!
#8 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 01:42 PM

I am averaging around 60% (Tracking it on fitday the last few days because I was curious).I would probably have a hard time doing it if I didn't eat dairy. We cook with butter, coconut oil & olive oil...oh and bacon grease (or just starting cooking chopped up bacon & then throw greens in with them). Lots of cheese, milk, cream, creme fraiche, nuts, olives. I eat very little grain (and no gluten) but in the baked goods I make for the rest of the family - I make sure we use full fat everything.

Oh and for the past two weeks I have finally made a consistent habit of supplementing with coconut oil. I put a tablespoon in a cup of tea twice a day...on a few days when I didn't feel like a hot beverage (and the oil was liquid because it was so hot out) I drank my tablespoon quickly and followed w/ a big gulp of kombucha.

Carbs have averaged 15 - 20% Protein averages 20 - 25%. Most of my carbs are coming from veg, fruit & dairy...not intentionally "low carb" but since I don't eat gluten & am not loading up on "gluten free" products...my carbs tend to be low. And I can honestly say I feel the best I have felt since I was a kid!!
#9 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I'm definitely not in the 50-80% range, I have no clue where I am. but we try to eat a lot of fat. We eat lots of butter on everything (veggies, bread, pasta), we use lots of olive oil and coconut oil (bread, stir fry, fried rice, pasta sauce. We love makeing things like fried scrambled eggs with sauted onions in butter or chicken fat. we eat fatty cuts of meat. whole milk. gravy. cream every single day. (yes, every single day. its only 1 pint per week for two people. but we eat some everyday)

but I can't imagine getting into eating 50% of your calories from fat (I assume thats what you mean). I imagine we're more like 15%. now I'm curious. maybe its higher.
With what you described - I'd bet you are closer to 50%. To be around 15% would be tough for most meat & dairy eaters unless you were doing skim & fat free everything and lots of fake foods.
#10 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Adapted from Eat Fat Lose Fat (these things are like 80% fat!):

2 cups crispy nuts or crispy nut butter
3/4 - 1 cup coconut oil
2 T. raw honey

Blend until smooth. Pour into bread pan (4x8) lined with parchment paper. Place in fridge until it hardens. Cut into squares. Store in the fridge or they melt! Doubling the recipe works great in an 8x8 pan.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM

TBH, I don't know what my percentage of fat is. I suspect it's pretty high, though, since my carb intake is pretty low. The last time I figured it I just figured the amount in grams. I was exclusively nursing a 10 mo. old (he still hadn't started eating solids). I was easily eating 200g fat a day, probably more. But I don't know how that figured into percentage.

I LOVE mayo. I make our own with olive oil and a little avocado oil. I use it whenever I can. I use plenty on my burgers (no bun, thanks), or with my boiled eggs. I make salads with it.

When we have burgers, I also make caramelized onions with lots of coconut oil. And we have avocados, too. (I love that meal. I feel so good afterward. I bet it's all the fats).

I add ghee to anything I can (if you can't eat ghee, another fat would work, like tallow, coconut oil, bacon grease). If we have potatoes, I use an equal amount of fat to my small serving of potatoes. If we have a stew-type dish (like chili, curry, whatever), I add a large dollop or two of ghee to my serving. I sautee veggies in plenty of coconut oil and olive oil. We also love caramelized onions, and that's high fat (the way I make them, anyway ).

As someone else said, smoothies are perfect for adding fat. I add raw eggs and coconut oil to mine, along with coconut milk and/or coconut cream concentrate. And no sweetener is necessary (honestly, it makes the smoothie too sweet for me).

I also like to make coconut balls and nut balls. Nut balls have to be kept in the fridge, though (at least the ones I made). I like the coconut balls, because unless it's super warm they can be kept at room temp. I mix coconut cream concentrate, coconut oil, shredded coconut, a small amount of honey and/or stevia (they'd be good with no sweetener at all, too), and vanilla. Sometimes I add ground chia seeds, too. These make a great snack!

I also eat a fair amount of eggs.

When I do eat a hot cereal (buckwheat) in the morning, I add beaten eggs, and also add plenty of ghee or coconut oil.

My favorited breakfast is refried black beans (and guess what, I use a lot of ghee or tallow or coconut oil when I make them) with fried eggs.

I hope this helps some.

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#12 of 24 Old 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM

Pretty much what everyone else said... plus, when I make mashed potatoes, using 3 or 4 large red potatoes, I often use an entire stick of butter. I can't add milk or cream or sour cream, like many people do... but butter seems to be fine for me, so I use A LOT. :

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#13 of 24 Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM

I just started a Fitday account, too.

What I wanted to comment on was this: I had a TERRIBLE nutrition day (ate lunch at subway AND am working my way through a twice a year indulgence box of rice krispies). We are pretty serious TFers so this was a seriously aberrant day for me. Anyway, my carbs were almost 50%!! Fat was 36%. But really what I wanted to say (finally!) is that when I checked my micronutrient levels, they were stellar (300-800% RDA in most categories. And this was a sad (and S.A.D.) day for me (other than some raw milk and some fermented veggies) and I STILL got more nutrients than most people on SAD diets!

I am curious to see the numbers on a normal day! I have a feeling I need to get my carbs down and fat up (though not as badly as today!)

Oh, and Junegoddess: I am with you on the butter, I use that much PLUS sour cream! But one time at a big family dinner at my (non-TF) sister's house she asked me to mash the potatoes (probably 5-7 pounds) and she handed me about 5 tablespoons of butter!!!! I looked at it and said "ummm, do you have any more butter?" and she looked shocked! Even after I added the 1 last stick she had, those potatoes were terrible!
#14 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 02:00 AM

I signed up for FitDay. Here's what I got (although I've been working hard on it) based on eating 2000 calories a day (I'm breastfeeding but would like to loose about 20 lbs.):

Yesterday:
Fat 74% (169 grams)
Carbs 13% (71 grams)
Protein 13% (67 grams)

Today:
Fat 75% (172 grams)
Carbs 13% (68 grams)
Protein 13% (66 grams)

I'm reading Primal Body, Primal Mind right now and I'm finding it really interesting. She has a good argument for limiting protein to like 50-60 grams a day (can't remember the exact amount) and limiting carbs as much as possible. That leaves upwards of 80% for fat. I'm finding limiting protein really hard to do while still getting a ton of fat. Fat and protein kind of come together in most foods. At this point my only carbs come from veggies, a very small amount of fruit and incidental carbs contained in things like nuts.

Something to work on I guess.

#15 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by godusjourney View Post

TIA!
I'm trying to keep my fat in the 60-80% range. I've cut out all grains and starchy vegetables, and the only fruit I'm eating is the occasional coconut milk and berry smoothie (not sweetened, it doesn't need it).

I purposely choose the fattiest cuts of meat and try to eat all the fat along with the lean. I cook everything in tallow, bacon grease, butter, or coconut oil. I'm looking for a source of good lard, too. When I cook eggs, I cook a few extra yolks and discard the whites to keep the protein from getting too high. I'm also on a goat cheese kick, but I don't do a lot of dairy otherwise.

There's a good "zero carb" message board that I've been lurking on lately, and they have a ton of ideas on how to get more fat in the diet. After all the damage I did to my body on an ultra low fat vegan diet, I'm trying to heal with lots of good fats...so if this seems drastic, it is!
#16 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 PM

DH went out of town last night and I decided to treat myself--I made the cheesecake recipe from the Hyperlipid blog. Wow! There is some serious fat in that!

I was still feeling full when I woke up and really, I ate a very tiny piece. I think I may have to freeze the rest and eat it in single spoonfuls when I want a treat.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...y%20cheesecake
#17 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
DH went out of town last night and I decided to treat myself--I made the cheesecake recipe from the Hyperlipid blog. Wow! There is some serious fat in that!

I was still feeling full when I woke up and really, I ate a very tiny piece. I think I may have to freeze the rest and eat it in single spoonfuls when I want a treat.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...y%20cheesecake
OMG that looks crazy good! Too bad my daughter (nursing) is allergic to dairy

#18 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 04:32 PM

So I amazed how many carbs all the milk I drink is adding. What are all your thoughts on that?

An all raw milk diet would have more carbs than either fat or protein (in grams at least).
#19 of 24 Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
So I amazed how many carbs all the milk I drink is adding. What are all your thoughts on that?

An all raw milk diet would have more carbs than either fat or protein (in grams at least).
I decided to drink the milk anyway, but my carbs are always over 100 and it's mostly from milk. I have been adding cream to my milk in an effort to ease myself over to drinking mostly cream. It sure is tasty!

DH and I had marrow bones and parsley salad for dinner. Very filling. We hadn't had them before but it was really like beef flavored butter. We put the marrow on toast, does anyone have any other ideas for low carb ways to eat marrow? I have the same problem with pate, I just can't figure out how to eat it without toast. I do load on the fatty toppings and slice the bread very thin, but I'm still eating bread.

I suppose I could just keep making stock and scooping the marrow out into it.
#20 of 24 Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM

So I tried something new tonight. I BBQ my grassfed steak (nice and rare) but only ate half of it (I'll eat the rest for lunch tomorrow). So it was about 3 oz. of meat and I sliced it very thin. I dipped/soaked each bit in melted ghee. Crazy delicious and tons of fat! 3 oz. of meat with about 2 T. of ghee :

Today's stats:
2400 calories
79% fat (220 grams)
11% carbs (70 grams)
10% protein (62 grams)

I'm trying to figure out how many calories to shoot for. The last two days I've been eating around 2,000 but I'm hungry. I'm 5'9" 173 lbs. and I'm breastfeeding an 8 week old baby (my breast milk supply is fantastic and BF is well established). I really want to lose some weight. Nothing crazy or super fast (I know better). Ultimately though I'd like to get back down to around 150 lbs since I know I look and feel great at that point.

#21 of 24 Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
So I tried something new tonight. I BBQ my grassfed steak (nice and rare) but only ate half of it (I'll eat the rest for lunch tomorrow). So it was about 3 oz. of meat and I sliced it very thin. I dipped/soaked each bit in melted ghee. Crazy delicious and tons of fat! 3 oz. of meat with about 2 T. of ghee :
Oh my goodness!! That sounds so delicious! The last time I had a steak (grilled , I sliced it thin, squeezed some lemon juice over it, and then drizzled olive oil over it. It was really good, but the ghee sounds really good, too. Next time I'll have to experiment and see which I like better (now there's a win-win experiment ). Oh, and I sprinkled chopped fresh basil over it. So good. I love my steaks! Thank goodness for half-cows (no way we could afford many steaks otherwise).

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#22 of 24 Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM

subbing for ideas, i know i eat too many carbs for weight loss. sigh...

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#23 of 24 Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostery View Post
I have the same problem with pate, I just can't figure out how to eat it without toast. I do load on the fatty toppings and slice the bread very thin, but I'm still eating bread.
Haven't tried it with marrow - but for pate, I use a cookie scoop and scoop it onto a salad... with some sliced kumquats and a dijon vinaigrette it's fabulous.

As for the OP - I suppose it would depend in part what you mean by protein at a "reasonable level". Most of my fat comes from eggs, dairy (cream, some milk, cheese, butter, sour cream, yogurt, kefir), nuts, meat, and the occasional avocado. I do keep CO in the house, but don't really use it all that often anymore... I'm more likely to use lard or bacon grease if I need it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#24 of 24 Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Haven't tried it with marrow - but for pate, I use a cookie scoop and scoop it onto a salad... with some sliced kumquats and a dijon vinaigrette it's fabulous.

As for the OP - I suppose it would depend in part what you mean by protein at a "reasonable level". Most of my fat comes from eggs, dairy (cream, some milk, cheese, butter, sour cream, yogurt, kefir), nuts, meat, and the occasional avocado. I do keep CO in the house, but don't really use it all that often anymore... I'm more likely to use lard or bacon grease if I need it.
That's a great idea! I'll have to try it. I have had lots of success tossing all sorts of foods that I'm not sure about on top of salads. Anchovies and sardines mostly. They go right down.

I hit 75% with my fat today! That's the best I've ever done. My carbs and protein could definitely take some cutting, they were a bit high.

I've been reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and it makes me think that I should just forgo tracking my calories (except for trying to figure out how to get the right ratios at the beginning) and exercise and just concentrate on getting great nutrition. If diet and exercise don't help us lose weight, then I should just eat well so that I feel well and can nourish my baby well and leave it at that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page