Water Kefir Grains...do they go bad?? - Mothering Forums
Traditional Foods > Water Kefir Grains...do they go bad??
Marnica's Avatar Marnica 12:19 PM 08-07-2009
I am a newbie with this whole water kefir thing. I bought the grains and was making batch after bacth and everything was dandy. It would bubble nicely while soaking and then more after the grains were removed and stored in the fridge.

Then I went away and wasn't going to be making batches for a week so I stored them in spring water (which is what the instrcutions said to do,,,it said only dehydrate them if you won't be making any kefir for a lengthy period of time) Anyway ever since then it doesn't bubble while soking or get more carbonated while in the fridge...it's just flat. Which tastewise is fine with me, but is the fermentation happening? If the effect the same? Have they gone bad? do I need to a new batch?? Help!!:

dogmom327's Avatar dogmom327 01:13 PM 08-07-2009
Did you store them in sugar water in the fridge when you left or just plain water? If it was just plain water, they likely starved with no sugar to eat. If it was sugar water, were they in the fridge or on the counter (cold slows down the culturing process and allows them to live in sugar water for longer than normal). How many batches have you done since? Is the kefir less sweet than the sugar water you start with?
Marnica's Avatar Marnica 01:54 PM 08-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Did you store them in sugar water in the fridge when you left or just plain water? If it was just plain water, they likely starved with no sugar to eat. If it was sugar water, were they in the fridge or on the counter (cold slows down the culturing process and allows them to live in sugar water for longer than normal). How many batches have you done since? Is the kefir less sweet than the sugar water you start with?
Oh lordy...it was plain spring water on the counter. I have made 2 batches since...I don't think they have been as sweet as the sugar water I started with, but I can't be 100% since I never tasted the sugar water before I started.

I probably starved them I guess I will get a new batch. Oh well now I know!
dogmom327's Avatar dogmom327 05:41 PM 08-07-2009
I'd do a quick test on the sweetness thing before you toss them. It's unlikely they survived though. Next time, just put them in fresh sugar water in the fridge. They can survive up to several weeks that way.
Up