I can't get my water kefir fizzy. Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have only been doing the water kefir for a short time. The grains are multipling and it taste ok, it's just very flat. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I let the grains sit in their sugar water solution for 24 hours with a filter tied on the jar. After I strain the grains out I seal it in a jar with tight lid for 24 hours more. Then into the fridge. If I get any fiz at all it is just a touch and is gone before you can drink it.

Any ideas? I would love some help or suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 PM

I get a little fizz after about 36 hrs w/either a coconut water solution or a molasses/cane sugar solution...I *think* the molasses kefir fizzes a bit more than the other one. I leave my grains in for 24-36 hrs then refrigerate. I get fizz when I'm straining the liquids but very little after removing the kefir from the refrigerator...maybe it would fizz more if you didn't refrigerate? Maybe a longer fermentation time?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#3 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM

totally bumping here cause I've got the same issue. My friend gets hers all fizzy. I took some of her grains. I follow her recipe totally...but mine is kinda flat.

I mean, there is a "pop" when I open up the bottle, but, um, yeah...it just tastes flat. I want FIZZZZZ!!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#4 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM

I have no idea but I am reading a lot of great info on Dom's Kefir site:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/...ternativekefir

here's the main page:
http://www.kefir-grains.com/

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#5 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Couple of thing can help with improving carbonation:

Using a sugar that includes molassess such as Rapadura or Sucanat instead of white sugar (granted not everyone is fond of the taste of water kefir when it's made with a more unprocessed sugar).

Add juice for flavoring and then bottling it up in a truly air tight bottle. Canning jars and lids don't cut it here (been there done that). You'll likely get a little carbonation but the best thing I've every found are the grolsch-style bottle that you find in beer/wine supply stores (and they look so pretty on the counter!).

Once your juice is bottled, leave it on the counter at room temperature for 1-3 days (or more) then put it in the fridge. Often you'll get better carbonation at room temperature than you will in the fridge.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page