low carb help - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Traditional Foods > low carb help
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 04:40 PM 08-21-2009
after reading so many posts from mama's who lose weight when restricting their carbs, I'm wanting to give it a try. I guess I'm looking for practical suggestions/tips.

My situation: I gained 60 lb. during pregnancy, lost it over the next year, gained 60 lb. in my second pregnancy, and lost that over the following year (my kids are almost exactly 2 years apart). I am currently nursing a 2yo. After being over 200 with each pregnancy, I mostly feel good about how I look, but I feel my 155lb. is still probably too much for my 5'4" frame. I sure thought so 5 years ago, prekids. My worst spot is my stomach, which I think some muscle strengthening would probably help (must start strength training!). On a side note, I think looking back that the two times in my life that I tried losing weight and it worked were through semi-unintentional carb constriction (as a teen I cut out deserts and white bread and after my first baby was born I read EFLF and was eating lots of coconut and again cut out white bread) and the year before I got pregnant when I could not seem to lose weight I was eating TONS of pasta.

So give me your best tips and advice. What do you eat? How do you stick with it? How do you avoid the yummy bread/etc you make for the rest of your family? How long does it take to see results? Do you do urine tests for ketosis? If so how much ketones should I see in my test? Do you track what you eat? Online? Which site do you use/recommend?

Right now I already eat lowish carb I think and have since finding TF 4 years ago. Other than I know I am eating too many deserts lately. I blame it on the discovery of coocnut milk icecream! I've been trying to limit my carbs for a week now. Though I'm not sure how strict I need to be. I've been substituting squares of dark chocolate or some cottage cheese and fruit for my late afternoon sugar cravings (which have been really bad the past few months, get real it has probably been a year or more). That's been working really well. I've also replaced whatever carb I'm serving the familyl with usually a large pile of broccoli topped with butter and cheese. I made some coconut flour garlic cheese muffins that are ok, if eaten with enough butter. I still find myself having very small servings of carbs here and there. a 1/4 piece of garlic bread, 1/2 a small almond cookie, the fruit to go with my cottage cheese. and of course the glass of raw goat milk i use to swallow my liver pills each morning.

OK, tons of questions. Thank you if you made it this far!

Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 03:23 PM 08-22-2009
First, kudos for you for reading EFLF as a teen!! I was still calling myself a vegan while eating fries, soy dogs, and vegan cookies!

So we are going from carb "conscious" to low carb. I was getting about 40% of calories from carbs until about a week ago and am in the 20-25% range now. I am taking the family with me!! So that answers your question on how to avoid the yummy carbs the family is eating! Of course DS is only 2, so he's not complaining! DH is having a little carbs at work and after DS goes to bed to feed his desires (grew up in a carb-loving italian family)

So I am also working out what in the heck to eat, trying to figure out how to eat some of our favorite foods/meals without grains (and only a smidge of potatoes).

So last night we had what I am calling "poor man's stroganoff" as a play on "poor man's steak". We LOVE stroganoff over buttered egg noodles, so I made the ground beef into burgers and then made the sauce based on stroganoff (had one T of flour in it). It was mostly beef broth, sour cream and mushrooms. So I served the sauce over the meat with some buttered green beans on the side. I am trying to figure out other meals I can revamp without the noodles, rice, bread, potatoes.

I have also been just resizing the portions on our plates. So I made a dover sole with beurre blanc and served it with roasted fingerling potatoes and asparagus. BUT we each had about 2 potatoes (if you don't know fingerling potatoes, they are small, called finger-ling for a reason!) but lots of fish and butter sauce!

For breakfast I find I can do without something carby if I have mineral water (I have no idea why this works for me, but it does). So we eat a fried egg, some breakfast meat, and sometimes a little yogurt, and pellegrino.

Lunch has been tricky! I make "snack" plates of avocado cubes, lunch meats, cheese, pickles, etc. but it is really getting old and it's just too salty, so I need to do something else! I have no idea what!

I don't really snack, especially now that I am eating so much fat I am just not hungry all the time like I used to be!

My sweet cravings have almost disappeared! I tried to "splurge" last night with a creme brulee from Trader Joe's (twice as much fat as sugar!) but it was too sweet! I couldn't eat it! I attribute this to 2 things: 1) getting enough fat is decreasing my craving for sweet and 2) my lowered intake of sweet/starch is lowering my "tolerance" level and making sweet things taste overly sweet (yay!) so that milk is now a sweet treat and cookies/cakes/candy are foul.

I hope this has helped at least a little--Good Luck!!
amcal's Avatar amcal 04:14 PM 08-22-2009
Rice substitutes: Grate a head of cauliflower and saute it in some butter - it has the same consisitancy as rice.

Noodle options: Angel hair cabbage (you can buy this in a package) or finely shred a head of cabbage and saute for a bit in butter.

Meal suggestions - this is a fantastic site with a million and one low carb recipes and meal plans:
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/
akimbo's Avatar akimbo 06:20 PM 08-22-2009
Great ideas so far. For a pasta substitute, I like to take a zucchini and peel strips from it top to bottom with a potato peeler. I'll then add the strips to the sauce I'm serving them with a minute or two before removing it from the heat - if I add them too early they get a little too soft.

amcal - I love Linda's low carb site! Such a great resource!
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 07:17 PM 08-22-2009
i will try some of these ideas for subbing different veggies for carbs. just for variety. i may get tired of salad for lunch and broccoli for dinner. today at lunch i didn't even think about it and ate a sandwich, . if i eat carbs at one meal, how long will that throw me out of ketosis?

i can't see taking my family with me into low carb -they will probably stay at 'carb conscious'. my husband has a very physical job and a high metabolism, we just couldn't afford to buy enough meat to fill him up with no carbs. right now 1 lb. of hamburger per meal feeds us (dh, me, 4yo ds, 2yo dd) but just. and he has switched ok to carb conscious, eating more veggies and smaller portions of carbs, but i don't think i can push it any further. but for breakfast and lunch, i am feeding the kids low carb with me. we'll have eggs or hotdogs and kraut (with no buns). i'm sad not having pancakes anymore though! sometimes its hard to get my 2yo to eat meat/eggs. she just wants bread/rice/fruit. she'll actually prefer not to eat (and nurse later) rather than eat the protein. not always, but atleast once a day.
amcal's Avatar amcal 07:29 PM 08-22-2009
I don't do low carb with my kids - the get ezekiel sprouted bread or whole grain tortillas/flat breads. I make brown rice or whole grain pasta for them - they get sweet potatoes etc...

Low carb is super easy but, I would really recommend you pick a plan and read the book so you aren't left in the dark wondering what to eat so you grab a sandwich.

For me, I rarely think about food - eggs for breakfast, usually left over dinner for lunch or if I'm making lunch, it's typically egg, tuna, salmon salad over lettuce with peppers, celery and cucumbers. Dinner is almost always something from the website I linked - meat and veggies of some sort or a casserole or soup/stew.

In the link I posted - you can find everything from crackers to pizza to soups, stews, coney island chili dogs etc....

It's all about learning how to substitute high carb foods for lower carb ones.

My family doesn't even realize that most of the meals I make are low carb.

Forgot to add that there are a ton of low carb pancake recipes - I think that site I listed has a few.

I also highly recommend www.lowcarbfriends.com It's one of the best low carb sites out there.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 07:30 PM 08-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
First, kudos for you for reading EFLF as a teen!! I was still calling myself a vegan while eating fries, soy dogs, and vegan cookies!
I wish I had read it as a teen!! No I read it shortly after the birth of my first child.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 07:33 PM 08-22-2009
another reason i have begun baking for my family again, is that then i have yummy things to give them when we are out with friends. so they don't look deprived and get constant offers of their junky food. which they usually end up eating small portions of.
Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 07:41 PM 08-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
I wish I had read it as a teen!! No I read it shortly after the birth of my first child.
Sorry, I read it wrong, thought you said it was all together: teen, no desserts, first baby, EFLF. Sorry, that's what happens when trying to read while telling the toddler what each song is about (playing on the cable toddler music channel!)
newcastlemama's Avatar newcastlemama 08:52 PM 08-22-2009
I keep it really simple. Here is my general meal plan lately--
B-Eggs and vegs or avocado or lower carb fruit (apple/berries)
L-chicken salad with evoo dressing
D- meat and low carb veg (add potatoes or rice for family) or bone broth based meat and veg stew.

snack-nuts or coconut milk + berry smoothie or liver pate on zuccini rounds
I use coconut oil for cooking and topping vegs ect.

(I can't do cheese but if I could that would be a good snack.)

I only allow myself a little honey and one serving of fruit a day. I am also careful on my portion sizes (especially with nuts)

I am able to stay away from breads because I am trying to heal my gluten and dairy problems on the GAPS diet.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 03:14 AM 08-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I keep it really simple. Here is my general meal plan lately--
B-Eggs and vegs or avocado or lower carb fruit (apple/berries)
L-chicken salad with evoo dressing
D- meat and low carb veg (add potatoes or rice for family) or bone broth based meat and veg stew.

snack-nuts or coconut milk + berry smoothie or liver pate on zuccini rounds
I use coconut oil for cooking and topping vegs ect.

(I can't do cheese but if I could that would be a good snack.)

I only allow myself a little honey and one serving of fruit a day. I am also careful on my portion sizes (especially with nuts)

I am able to stay away from breads because I am trying to heal my gluten and dairy problems on the GAPS diet.
why are you careful with nuts? do almonds have alot of carbs? because i've been eating more of them.

anyone have a list of which are low carb fruits?
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 03:17 AM 08-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Low carb is super easy but, I would really recommend you pick a plan and read the book so you aren't left in the dark wondering what to eat so you grab a sandwich.

I also highly recommend www.lowcarbfriends.com It's one of the best low carb sites out there.
any book recommendations? are there any out there that are TF friendly? That site looks good, I will have to try some of her recipes.
amcal's Avatar amcal 03:48 AM 08-23-2009
There are so many plans - Eat Fat Get Thin, Protein Power, Carbohydrate Addicts, Atkins, South Beach - all have their strong points. It's important to review each plan and see which fits best with your lifestyle.
Here is list that will have a pretty good summary of each:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/weight-loss-plans/

Also, I think you can make most any plan TF friendly. For me, low carb means protein, veggies and fat - all very consistent with a TF and low carb lifestyle.

Also, really, the only lowish carb fruit is berries. Make sure you eat them with fat - full fat yogurt, coconut cream in a smoothie etc...

As far as nuts - they're great in moderation but, they are pretty moderate as far as carbs go and a serving size is small so moderation is a must or the carbs and calories will add up.

Most low carb plans don't emphasize calories but, calories do count - carbs count more but it is important to be aware of your calories.
newcastlemama's Avatar newcastlemama 06:35 PM 08-23-2009
I am careful with nuts because of calories. I can just keep snacking on them without noticing what a large amount I am taking in
Lilcrunchie's Avatar Lilcrunchie 06:46 PM 08-23-2009
2 recipe sites I use often (and adapt to make them NT friendly) are:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html (I don't use splenda, etc. etc.)

and

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/ (like the blog author at this site, Lauren, I like to use erythritol and stevia to sweeten).

eta: agree w/ the recommendation for lowcarbfriends as well. There is an organic/natural eating forum there. Definitely a mix of people and not everyone is NT in mindset, to say the least. But still lots of good ideas and you can modify/adjust recipes to be more NT friendly.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 04:40 PM 08-24-2009
so I've created a fitday account and have inputed the past few days. i seem to average 50-65% fat, 20-25% protein and 15-25% carbs. which doesn't seem too bad. but then i looked at how many calories i'm eating! 2643, 2181, 3976!, 2634, 3547, 2747, 3019. so now i'm wondering if i'm just eating too much. i've been preg and/or nursing for 5 years, so i'm used to big portions. but with dd now being 2, i'm probably now eating more than i really need. though i haven't gained any weight, just stayed the same. hmm. well, i'm going to try to pay more attention to my hunger cues. try smaller portions and drinking a glass of water when i feel munchy.
Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 05:00 PM 08-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
so I've created a fitday account and have inputed the past few days. i seem to average 50-60% fat, 20-25% protein and 20-25% carbs. which doesn't seem too bad. but then i looked at how many calories i'm eating! 2643, 2181, 3976!, 2634. so now i'm wondering if i'm just eating too much. i've been preg and/or nursing for 5 years, so i'm used to big portions. but with dd now being 2, i'm probably now eating more than i really need. though i haven't gained any weight, just stayed the same. hmm. well, i'm going to try to pay more attention to my hunger cues. try smaller portions and drinking a glass of water when i feel munchy.
Well, I, too, am 5"4', and I too used Fitday and found I was eating 50-60% fat, 20-25% protein, 20-25% carbs. BUT, I am getting about 1800 calories a day. I am not nursing and not pregnant. However, I am about 125 pounds.

You can look up a formula for how many calories you need to maintain your weight (then adjust for loss) based on your height, weight, age, and activity level. I would guess the calories you are eating are right for maintenance at 155 lbs (not the 3976, though!!). I wouldn't recommend cutting calories sharply as that is just not nice to your body. But if you can try to get a couple hundred less (without feeling starving all day!!!) that would probably help!!
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 05:23 PM 08-24-2009
all i've eaten is breakfast so far today and i'm already at 943 calories! i ate:
1 oz liver
8oz raw milk
CLO & BO in 2 oz. juice
4 chicken breakfast sausage links
1 coconut flour muffin with 2 tblspns butter

75% fat 17% protein 8% carb

i'm not sure i want to cut back on my breakfasts. i will try to eat a small dinner for sure. lunch, well i'll just see how hungry i am i guess but i'll try not to go into it thinking i need to eat BIG.

i know there are definitely times when i could cut back the amount i eat without being hungry, i've just gotten used to being hungry/big portions. and eating when i'm not hungry! i had to when i was pregnant.
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 02:03 AM 08-25-2009
well today i managed to keep it to *only* 2470 calories. 69% fat, 11% carbs, 19% protein (118g).

i tried a meatball recipe i found on one of hte links, with pasta for my family, with sauteed zucchini for me. i wasn't sure if i'd like that or not but it was good. some of my foods i find hard to enter into fitday. like my tomato sauce. i ended up putting 1/8 of the main ingredients in, separately. 1.5 oz tomato paste, .5 cup beef broth, 1 oz mushrooms, 2 tbspns butter. i could figure out a custom item, but then i don't make my sauce the same way twice.

i'm feeling munchy, but am not really hungry. maybe i'll go for a big glass of water or a mug of tea. after that if i still want something, a square of dark chocolate.
newcastlemama's Avatar newcastlemama 02:39 PM 08-25-2009
I had the same issue--I was just eating way too much food. I lost about 7 pounds just limiting snacking and portion control in the past couple weeks! I did not have tons of weight to lose either..I just wanted to lose a little and mostly firm up with exercise.

I also eat a large breakfast because it keeps me from snacking in the morning. The book The Diet Cure talks about having more calories at breakfast being good too.
Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 03:05 PM 08-25-2009
So what do you all do when you eat out? I know the first answer is "don't eat out", but sometimes we don't have much choice, and sometimes we really like to eat out.

DS and I were unexpectedly out during lunch (errands ran way later than expected) and we were both starving. So we blew low carb and got a sub at Quizno's, at least it was cheesesteak so plenty of fat (CAFO, grain-fed unfortunately) but I still ate the roll. I prefer to find "naturally" low-carb alternatives when we're out (as opposed to just eating "around" the carbs.) Like we have a pub we love that does a sausage plate--brat, venison, and a couple others--and serves it with braised red cabbage. Yummm! But I hate just eating the insides of a sandwich, you know? when we order Afghan I order a lamb kabob and leave the rice and tandoor bread and end up starving!

Ideas?
akimbo's Avatar akimbo 04:00 PM 08-25-2009
Holiztic, do you have a Jimmy John's nearby? You can order any of their sandwiches as an "unwich" - they wrap the sandwich with lettuce leaves instead of using a bun. IDK anything about where they source their meat from, but it's a decent alternative in a pinch.
Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 05:21 PM 08-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by akimbo View Post
Holiztic, do you have a Jimmy John's nearby? You can order any of their sandwiches as an "unwich" - they wrap the sandwich with lettuce leaves instead of using a bun. IDK anything about where they source their meat from, but it's a decent alternative in a pinch.
Never heard of it. I can go to Chipotle and get a burrito on lettuce instead of in a tortilla. I skip the rice and add lots of cheese, sour cream and guac. But the meat is too spicy for DS, so we don't go there much. Of course he loves cheese, sour cream and guac, so maybe I'll try again.
Lilcrunchie's Avatar Lilcrunchie 05:53 PM 08-25-2009
There are very few places where we find we can't eat anything on the menu while eating lowish or lower carb.

Sauces often contain hidden sugar or cornstarch (Chinese food, etc) so it is best to leave them off when you can.

Red Robin does bunless burgers...but you can do that anywhere. Just toss the bun. At Red Robin you can also sub salad for fries. Not the healthiest (grainfed conventional beef) but there are many places where you can make tweaks like that. (eta: for me the key to eating a bunless burger is going somewhere like Red Robin where they'll do it "protein style" which is wrapped in lettuce leaves. I also prefer burgers with some great toppings...blue cheese, bacon, etc. They are more filling and I don't feel like I'm missing out by skipping the roll that way

Salads work. Look for places where you can do oil and vinegar if you don't want the hidden yuck and other carbs in many dressings.

Wings

Cheesesteaks without a roll, especially if you bulk it up by having them add peppers, onions and mushrooms (if you like them).

We've done Italian places and done alfredo-y type sauces (which will still have flour/thickeners, so not ideal) but instead of serving over pasta had them serve the chicken or shrimp or whatever over steamed broccoli and then have them top it with sauce.

Cracker Barrel has a whole low carb menu.

Mexican is easy. Fajitas with all of the fixings, minus the tortillas and skip the rice on the side. We eat the lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, meat, guacamole, etc as a salad.

Where else do you like to eat? I can give you ideas We don't go out to eat that often but I can always find something that works for me.
poppymum's Avatar poppymum 06:19 PM 08-25-2009
I have type II diabetes, and used to take oral medications and insulin shots, but now I control it with diet alone. I follow something like phase 1 of the South Beach diet, with a lot of "buts." I lost fifty lbs in the first six months of eating this way.

In general, I avoid all high glycemic vegetables, fruit, grain and grain products, sugar and other caloric sweeteners. I also limit the amount of dairy I consume, because lactose spikes my glucose levels a lot. The exceptions are that I do eat whole quinoa, on occasion, and I eat berries and melons as a treat, in season only.

Breakfast is almost always eggs with some sauteed vegetables, like zucchinis and peppers, usually with some tabasco or chipotle sauce. On the weekends I will occasionally make turkey bacon too, or an omelet or fritatta. Now and then I eat yogurt for breakfast, either Nancy's plain, with walnuts and in season berries, or with some sweetener like splenda or stevia. Occasionally I buy commercially artificially sweetened yogurt. It's not the best product on earth, but it comes in different flavors, hits the sweet spot, and topped with nuts it is dessert. Ok in my heart of hearts, maybe I do think it's the best thing on earth, lol.
I keep original Fiber One cereal on hand, as well, and eat it for breakfast maybe once or twice a month, with almond milk (very low carb milk substitute). The cereal has 25 grams of carbs in a half cup serving, but 14 of those are fiber, so it's really not too bad, especially since the fiber helps even out your blood sugar levels. Mostly I use the cereal in things that need a starchy binding agent, like mealoaf.

Lunches are often leftovers from dinner the night before, or salads, or soup.

Dinner ideas:
taco salad
fajita salad
stir fry
chili (south beach allows beans, and I'm glad to have them!)
beef stew with vegetables, minus potatoes (carrots, onions, green beans, zucchini, cabbage etc)
zucchini "noodles" with pesto or marinara or ground beef sauce
grilled veggie kabobs with marinated mushrooms
any meat on the grill, marinated instead of bbq sauce
sausages sauteed with onions and peppers, and home-made saurkraut
meatloaf and pureed steamed cauliflower (use fiber cereal or quinoa for starch in meatloaf)
middle-eastern spiced meaballs or roasted chicken with yogurt or kefir-cuke salad
chicken, garbanzo or veggies with jarred curry sauce and yogurt
minestrone soup minus the noodles
pot roast with mashed cauliflower

snacks are:
nuts
kefir
pickles
olives
veggie cuts

desserts are:
hot cocoa made with artificial sweetener (I know, I know) and almond milk
tea with almond milk and sweetener (chai is my fave)
ricotta cheese, with artificial sweetener and cocoa stirred in, or sometimes with almond extract stirred in. Sometimes I brown almond slivers in a bit of butter to pour over the top.

Eating out:
salad bars
Subway salads
Baja fresh burrito served "bare style" with no rice (essentially fajita salad)
ceasar salad
veggie and hummus tray
chili rellenos (there may be a small amount of flour in the batter, but usually not enough to worry me...just avoid the chips and salsa lol)
stir-fried foods at chinese places, with egg drop soup
sashimi salad with edamame

sometimes in a hurry I will stop at a grocery store deli and get sliced meats and cheeses, or some hard boiled eggs!
RomanCarmelMom's Avatar RomanCarmelMom 07:19 PM 08-25-2009
I'm pre-diabetic, so I have no choice but to low-carb it. To limit carbs, I alternate whole grains and fresh fruits every other day. You'll want to make sure that you stick with small servings of brown grains that are in as natural of a form as possible, and eat them with protein and fat to slow the carb absorption. I try to stick to grains that are lower on the glycemic index such as barley, or quinoa because it is a complete protein. I also had to do a bunch of searches for bread recipes that only included limited whole wheat, and freshly ground whole grains, and ones that had no sugar. Lentils have played a big part in my new diet.

For fruits, I try to stick with the lower glycemic ones such as cherries and other berries, and apples.

I substitute the rest of the carbs with non-root vegetables. I roast kale chips, and use peppers, celery, and broccoli for any dips I may make, such as hummus.

We made these changes as a family, but my son and husband eat more grains and higher sugar fruits than I do. To keep from falling off the wagon, I will allow myself a bite or two of something I'm preparing for my son or husband. A bite or two is enough for me to savor, but I'm not getting an entire extra serving or two of something that's bad for my body. If I 100% deprive myself, then I end up binging on something really bad, like a non-TF bread that is loaded with sugar or something.
Holiztic's Avatar Holiztic 08:02 PM 08-25-2009
Okay, so after my white sub roll (9 inches) today I crashed about 3:00 and have felt like crap all afternoon, which led to my not cooking dinner and not being able to think about what to eat, so DH brought home chinese. He's not really believing my lunch could have caused me to feel so crappy, but I sure believe it! Same thing happened on Sunday when we helped some friends move and all they had was donuts for breakfast (I ate 1/2 of one) and pizza for lunch (one slice of meat lover's) and felt crappy all afternoon.

I am only one week into limiting carbs so I am not in the swing of things yet. But boy do I have motivation after feeling so yucky today!

Poppymum and lilcrunchie--you guys are awesome!! Thank you!!!
Lilcrunchie's Avatar Lilcrunchie 08:47 PM 08-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Okay, so after my white sub roll (9 inches) today I crashed about 3:00 and have felt like crap all afternoon, which led to my not cooking dinner and not being able to think about what to eat, so DH brought home chinese. He's not really believing my lunch could have caused me to feel so crappy, but I sure believe it! Same thing happened on Sunday when we helped some friends move and all they had was donuts for breakfast (I ate 1/2 of one) and pizza for lunch (one slice of meat lover's) and felt crappy all afternoon.

I am only one week into limiting carbs so I am not in the swing of things yet. But boy do I have motivation after feeling so yucky today!

Poppymum and lilcrunchie--you guys are awesome!! Thank you!!!
I've always gotten the carb crash from carbs. Big time, and before I knew I had PCOS or insulin resistance. My DH is the same way. If he had carbs for lunch he would fall asleep at his desk (he's actually hit his head on the desk from falling asleep so deeply while sitting up : ). When he cuts his carb consumption and eats fat/protein and veggies for lunch he feels great in comparison. I *totally* believe it happens. The other thing that would happen to me is after eating something carby like a big, enormous bagel, I was seriously starving an hour later. The up and down rollercoaster courtesy of insulin and sugar, kwim?

The first 2 weeks are definitely the hardest, and then it gets easier.

For pizza try this: (courtesy of lowcarbfriends.com)

A six to eight inch individual LC pizza crust (depending upon how thin you prefer your crust):

Slightly less than 1/4 cup almond flour (Bob's Red Mill blanched recommended), fill to 1/4 cup with a dash of coconut flour (also Bob's).
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup mild cheddar
1 or 2 eggs

Combine and spread on on parchment paper paper sprayed with a a nonstick spray (I use an organic, olive oil nonstick spray).

BRUSH DOUGH WITH VIRGIN OLIVE OIL PRIOR TO BAKING! Bake crust at 350 or 375 for 20 minutes.

Remove and add sauce and toppings.
Back in oven until baked to your desire.

or

http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/...wer-pizza.html

(her cauli breadsticks recipe is really good....takes a while to cook but yummo). It is on her blog there somewhere.

Or her zucchini based recipe for crust:
http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2009/...st-recipe.html

for a bit of a bread alternative you can also play around w/ "oopsie rolls"
http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/...ol-oopsie.html
Vaquitita's Avatar Vaquitita 11:35 PM 08-25-2009
i've only eaten 2300 calories today, and am feeling satisfied. woohoo. maybe i'll see the scale go down soon! 65% fat, 19% protein, 16% carbs.
amcal's Avatar amcal 07:03 PM 08-29-2009
That's a lot of calories for a woman. Have you calculated your caloric needs?

I track at www.thedailyplate.com and they calculate my caloric needs based on how much I currently weigh and how much I want to loose. My calories should be in the 1500 range - I'm 5'7" and 162lbs.

2300 seems pretty high unless you're an athlete and you may find it difficult to loose at that calorie level.
1 2 

Up