New to raw milk... Uddermilk creamery coop - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody! I'm a newby to TF though I've prerry much eaten WF for a while. I've located a source for raw dairy that can be delivered to me. Does anyone use Uddermilk Creamery Coop? They deliver to NJ and NYC. I will receive the milk <24 hrs from milking- organic grass fed jersey cows. Anyways, i'm still a smidge nervous after a lifetime of being told raw milk is dangerous, but I really want to give it a go. I have an 11 mo DS and want to find a good, reliable raw dairy source. So, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
#2 of 19 Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Hi! And welcome!

I'm vaguely in your area although not in the city myself. We live up in Connecticut and are using a farm up here in Fairfield county that sells at our farmer's market weekly. I have two little ones who are drinking raw milk with me...a 18 month old and a 3 year old. Sounds like you have found an exciting arrangement with that dairy!

Livin' the good life here in Connecticut with my DH hug2.gif and our three fabulous boys grouphug.gif(4/3/06, 2/4/08 and 5/20/10) Hoping to try for Sweet Baby #4 in December! blowkiss.gif

#3 of 19 Old 08-27-2009, 03:11 PM

RE: being nervous about raw milk, in some ways it's actually safer because it retains all the good bacteria that get nuked in the pasteurization process, so it it does happen to get contaminated there's a built-in safeguard - the good guys will go after the bad guys. If pasteurized milk gets contaminated after processing, there's nothing to keep the bacteria from multiplying and making you sick.

I started drinking raw milk from a small family farm in our area a couple months ago and haven't had any problems, I think the main thing is to get personal recommendations from others who drink their milk, and visit the farm and see for yourself that their animals look healthy and have good living conditions. Farms and co-ops that sell direct to the consumer are actually more likely to be meticulous about cleanliness because if one person gets sick from their milk and talks about it, it could ruin their business, so they have a lot of motivation to keep their milk free of contaminants.

The health benefits are worth the small risk in my opinion...I can't even drink the store bought stuff or it gives me diarrhea (I know, tmi). Pasteurization kills the cultures and enzymes that naturally occur in milk for the sake of making lactose digestible, so a lot of people who are "lactose intolerant" would probably do fine on raw. Homogenization also artificially binds the fat particles so that your digestive system doesn't know quite what to do with it.

I think it's ridiculous that states have these bans on selling raw in stores and that the FDA wastes its time on raids. They don't make butchers sell pre-cooked meat even though some people do choose to eat certain things raw and that's certainly a bigger risk than milk. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#4 of 19 Old 11-13-2010, 09:45 AM

Yes, raw milk is not good. From the past in India people have been fresh milk till date- but the milk is boiled before using. After you boil the milk -you will get thick cream on the top of the milk. you can collect that and keep it refrigerated.  The milk cream is used to for skin with turmeric and washed off with chickpeas flour.  The winters in New York is terrible- but I do not use any winter creams,  I just apply the turmeric and milk cream wash if off with chickpeas, It is natural and skin looks great,

#5 of 19 Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM

My take on it is visit the dairy and if you find a clean establishment with healthy animals, I'd go for it.

I don't think one can make a blanket statement that all 'raw milk is not good". Raw milk from a  typical commercial dairy? Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Raw milk from pastured healthy cows, at a dairy with proper milking protocol and milk handling practices? Now that's a completely different story.

Have you looked into the history of pasteurized milk? It will tell you a lot about how dairy practices affect the quality of the milk. Essentially, dairies near cities started feeding cows byproducts of brewing instead of grass and hay, leading to sick malnourished cows and watery, disease carrying milk. It did actually lead to deaths, but instead of changing the way they fed and housed and milked their cows, they adopted pasteurization after it was realized that heat killed the disease organisms.  And if you think those days are over, have you visited a modern dairy? The cows are standing knee deep in filth, they are fed a diet their digestive system isn't designed to handle, and they are medicated to keep them going and producing more milk. It's no wonder their milk is so unhealthy it can't be consumed raw. Bad raw milk is a red flag for poor dairying practices, but in the US at least, the dairy industry is bigger and has more money than a few good raw dairy farmers so there's nobody powerful enough to call them out on it, and they have everyone bamboozled with all their oh-so-helpful milk-promotion campaigns, and everyone just somehow "knows" that raw milk will make you sick...

I took my first drink of raw, fresh milk at the age of seven. The only raw milk I've ever used without actually visiting the cow and knowing her name, is when I buy Organic Pastures. They test every batch and never have had any problem. In fact, they've tried to inoculate their milk with pathogens and were unsuccessful at growing them in their milk. If the dairy industry pushing pasteurized milk could say the same thing about their milk before they heated it... oh, wait, they can't. They fail the tests, that's why they have to pasteurize. It's not just a matter of worrying what has contaminated the pasteurized milk after processing - that milk wasn't good to drink raw in the first place.

http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/features/0103/california/mcafee/index.shtml

#6 of 19 Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Hi!  I loooove Uddermilk dairy's milk!!  I live in NJ, and I don't know what I would do without them.  Thank goodness I have a source for good raw milk.  I also buy their farm fresh eggs, and an occasional extra item now and then.  Their milk is delicious and fresh, and they deliver to your door.  I have not had any problems at all with them.  I get really nasty sinus and congestion, and bloating issues if I drink pasteurized milk from the grocery store.  With my Uddermilk, I have absolutely NO problems.  I use it to make kefir, as well as to make a raw eggnog drink in the morning, or drink it straight.

And sorry Gundu, but I couldn't disagree with you more about "raw milk is not good".  You're correct that nowadays many people in India boil their milk.  I've lived there and know that at least in the cities most people buy their milk in a plastic bag from a local vendor and then boil it (although it is already pasteurized, nobody seems to trust it and they still boil it), and yes it does form a cream layer (called malai by my husband's family).  But that milk tastes NASTY!  I've never seen any Indian drinking it straight without putting a ton of sugar in it, or using it for tea.  However, when I was living there, knowing the benefits of raw milk, I sought a source for raw.  I found this great villager who rode his bicycle into the city everyday with his large milk barrels strapped to his bicycle.  It was fresh, raw buffalo milk.  It was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted.  Buffalo milk is sweeter tasting and creamier than cow milk.  This man came from a well-to-do (by village standards) land-owning family and didn't need the extra money he got selling milk.  He considered it his duty to serve the people in the city with genuine fresh raw milk which they did not have access to otherwise.  He said this is what his own family drank and they would never ruin their milk by boiling it first, and would never touch that stuff that comes in the plastic bags.  He was saddened by the nutritional deficiencies in the modern cities and that is why he took the trouble to deliver the milk.

#7 of 19 Old 11-20-2010, 06:45 AM

I am certified by NYS to sell raw milk from my dairy. My farm, Shunpike Dairy, is located in Millbrook NY. I am only allowed to sell to buyers at the farm (I'm not sure how Udderly Fresh gets away with delivery), but it is always fresh. If you come to visit, you will see that everything is very clean, and you can meet me and the cows! I have heard some incredible stories about how my milk has been helping people feel better in many ways. I truely believe it is a healing tonic. Milk is available for purchase 7 days/week. Always fresh. I'd love to see you! You can find my listing, and many others on the website realmilk.com.

#8 of 19 Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM

It's great to hear from a farmer on here!  I wish it wasn't such a long drive for me (over 2.5 hrs) or I would definitely come to visit the farm and buy from you.  If I ever get up that ways, I'll keep you in mind.  I've also wondered how Uddermilk manages their deliveries...I assumed they found some loophole.  My guess is they are careful with who they deliver to, and have to go through some effort to avoid trouble. 

Too bad the government goes after dairy farmers instead of criminals.  Making raw milk illegal is the real crime!

#9 of 19 Old 11-21-2010, 08:39 PM

I don't live in your area, so can't comment on your specific dairy, but I've been drinking raw milk since May and had no problems.  In fact, I generally feel better on days I drink milk versus those I don't.  Raw milk that is handled properly from healthy animals that are treated well is safe.

#10 of 19 Old 12-02-2010, 07:08 PM

i am drinking uddermilk at this moment!  LOVE it!  we've been ordering from them for about a year, and get weekly deliveries Sunday morning right to my door.  Pastured eggs, too and sometimes yogurt or other items.  The jersey cow milk is so creamy, yum!

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#11 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 AM

Hi there!

I'm also a client of Uddermilk.com. I've been purchasing their goat raw milk for my 2-year old for over a year now. That's all she drinks and she's never gotten sick from it.  I myself was diagnosed with gastritis and was asked by my doctor to avoid all dairy. Well, I am happy to say, I can drink milk (cow or goat) once again. 

The business is run by a family and sometimes delivery is challenged by the weather or health issues, but they will always deliver even if its late at  night or the next day. They've even met me at an intersection, so I can pick it up... they'll work with you.  They are very nice.

It is a shame we can't buy directly from a farmer, but we have to do what's best for ourselves family.

Nutley, NJ

#12 of 19 Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM

I have ordered from uddermilk.com for about three years now. I was told about this company by a wonderful person from whom I got kefir grains. I have never gotten sick from any of their products. I love their cow and goat milk however it gets expensive for me since i'm a full time student without a job. I wish raw milk was legal and farmer took better care of their animals. I used to drink raw milk back home(India-age 3-11) since I come from a farmers family.

#13 of 19 Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM

This is a great conversation. I agree that raw milk is just as safe as any other food, if not safer due to the beneficial bacteria. The farms already mentioned have great records and here is a listing for some other farms in NY on our local WAPF website: http://wapfrocklandcounty.wordpress.com/local-resources/local-farms/

For those interested, Fox 5 News NY is doing an investigative piece about raw milk and the recent Raw Milk Rally in front of the FDA in MD. It airs on the 10:00 news on Tues, May 8th. I am interviewed there. And I hope he shows the part where I mention that the morning of the interview (on Fox 5 while waiting in the lobby!) I saw an ad stating that over 250,000 people die each year in NY state alone from cigarettes. If the government were really concerned for our safety they would outlaw cigarettes and alcohol, both known killers. Not that I advocate for that. I prefer the govt. to keep their noses out of my personal life. 

"Become Independently Healthy" www.bodywisefoodsmart.com
#14 of 19 Old 04-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveRealFood View Post
I saw an ad stating that over 250,000 people die each year in NY state alone from cigarettes. If the government were really concerned for our safety they would outlaw cigarettes and alcohol, both known killers. Not that I advocate for that. I prefer the govt. to keep their noses out of my personal life. 

Is it just me that's so jaded that I immediately think, "but unhealthy smokers are far more profitable than healthy raw milk drinkers!"  Has nothing to do with health and safety, but what makes money for big corporations--including the medical industry.  I consider the $10/gallon on raw milk I spend far more valuable than medical insurance! 

I do hope FDA lightens its grip on the raw milk issue.  Lost count of the emails/petitions I've signed regarding this.

Thank goodness for Udder dairy...a bright spot in me having to live in this overly-urban part of NJ.

#15 of 19 Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM

I'm a member of uddermilk coop and it's great they deliver. I'm curious though about the percent of cream in the milk.  This is the 4th dairy I've bought milk from and all the others had a much higher percentage of cream.  This milk tastes like non fat or something.  It's less than 1/6 cream.  What does anyone think of that.  I've never measured before this but I seem to remember it being more like 1/4- 1/3 cream.  

Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

#16 of 19 Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM

I just placed my first order @ uddermilk creamery and can't wait for the delivery day. I have been reading that some people have problem with the delivery method. Did you have any problems? Do you leave a cooler outside?

#17 of 19 Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkinmommy View Post

I just placed my first order @ uddermilk creamery and can't wait for the delivery day. I have been reading that some people have problem with the delivery method. Did you have any problems? Do you leave a cooler outside?

Their delivery timings is sometimes totally random.  Since I work from home, it hasn't been an issue.  The winter before last it was a snowstorm on delivery day and they delivered super late, around midnight!  I was thrilled they came in spite of the snow...but I had already gone to bed.  In such a case, they did call me first and make sure it was OK to deliver. 

I've only been gone from home once, and I left a cooler and payment--the milk was there when I returned, no problems.  Do make sure they have a phone number...the first few weeks the delivery guy totally got lost and had to call to find me.  The same guy almost always delivers to me, so it hasn't been a problem since.

#18 of 19 Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonZ View Post

I'm a member of uddermilk coop and it's great they deliver. I'm curious though about the percent of cream in the milk.  This is the 4th dairy I've bought milk from and all the others had a much higher percentage of cream.  This milk tastes like non fat or something.  It's less than 1/6 cream.  What does anyone think of that.  I've never measured before this but I seem to remember it being more like 1/4- 1/3 cream.  

Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

I've also noticed the variation in cream amount.  Usually it's about 1/4 cream when it settles, but my last delivery it was much less.  I figured it was a seasonal thing!  I'll observe my next delivery and see if it's back to usual.

#19 of 19 Old 07-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2ady View Post

I've also noticed the variation in cream amount.  Usually it's about 1/4 cream when it settles, but my last delivery it was much less.  I figured it was a seasonal thing!  I'll observe my next delivery and see if it's back to usual.

I buy from a couple of farms and from UM it's definitely less cream by a lot and I buy during the same season.  I'm feeling not great about buying from a place where I don''t have a direct relationship w/ the farm. If anything happens, the farm doesn't stand behind their product.  I bought some raw butter and it came w/ water inside the container. To me that means the container was probably sloshing around in the delivery truck's cooler.  I have no idea how clean that might be.  The farm might be very clean but once it leaves the farm, UM can do anything, not be as impeccable as the farmer was in it's handling.  I don't know.  If I buy from them again, it's going to be things that can't be messed w/ after they leave the farms. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page