i need to read up on this. thanks!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-02-2009, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just started my first water kefir yesterday. so not much experience.
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html
here are some info.
also go youtube and search water kefir
#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a good one. I believe there are more people interested in milk grains than water grains therefore less attention was given in this area. I have been trying to make water kefir for months but struggled to the point where I am about to give up.

I belong to different kefir forums where most people talk about their milk grains with a handful of them still interested in growing water grains. I personally believe people use milk grains more often simply because they are less fussy (at least mine are like that) and that water kefir tends to have a higher alcohol content thus less kids friendly. So making milk kefir you won't have to worry about turning your little ones into alcoholics! LOLOL

There are two Yahoo groups currently very active with lots of information available. Both milk and water kefir are discussed in both forums. I have to warn you though, while some of these forum members are friendly and helpful a large number of them are very opinionated and sometimes, down right rude. When I first started making milk kefir I used 1% or skim milk. The first time I posted there, some forum people were so mad at me that I thought they were going to burn me at the stake and sacrifice me to their kefir gods. I never went back. I did receive some advice on water grains but every bit of information I received was confusing and contradicting each other.

Currently, I am resting my water grains in sugar water in the fridge. If you find anything that is useful please let me know.

Al
#4 of 5 Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Here's one from long ago. It starts out talking mostly about dairy but then adds in lots of water kefir recipes.
#5 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Read up on both varieties of kefir on this site
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Mak...thod_for_kefir

I found it very helpful. I think water kefir (skg) grains are the best and super easy. I am addicted to fizz and this stuff is awesome. I like to do a secondary fermentation with fruit juice or pureed frut for great flavor.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page