what did i do wrong? i just attempted to pickle 20# of pickles and all of the jars have mold on top
and they smell funky, not the good funk of sauerkraut but the bad funk of moldy gym socks.
here's what i did:
soak pickles overnight in pickling lime.
rinse jars with soap and water.
put pickles, 3 tbsp. salt, 1-2 tbsp spices (dried dill, garlic, pickling spice, curry etc.) in jar and fill with water.
cover lightly so as not to explode with lids and rings.
put in pantry and check on every couple of days.
slight bubbling but no zing smell at all.
i finally checked today, they're about a week old, and found the mold. even the cinnamon ones my ds wanted me to make molded so i don't think it's the spices.
the only thing i can think of is that i didn't boil the jars? or, that maybe i didn't add enough salt?
needless to say, i'm totally bummed. any suggestions?