Did you take CLO while pregnant? Were you advised not to? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just found out I'm pregnant and have been taking cod liver oil. I was advised to stop--that it's not safe during pregnancy, particularly not during the first trimester.

Wondering if others have been told the same thing and taken it anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I've never heard of that before. I'm taking FCLO daily.

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#3 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes, I took it during my last pregnancy and my midwife was fine with it.

The issue with it is that it contains very high levels of vitamin A and many believe that it can be toxic. I personally believe that artificial vit A is probably toxic, while sources from real food like CLO or liver is probably fine if used/eaten in moderation.

There is an article on it here http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html
#4 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM

I took it through the whole pregnancy, midwife definitely didn't warn against it.

I second the link above! The research finding Vit A dangerous during pregnancy was with synthetic.

Vitamin A was eaten in serious amounts in the traditional cultures Weston A Price studied, especially before/during pregnancy, and they've certainly proved to make beautiful, perfect babies!
#5 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM

I was wondering when/if it is good to feed our son rice cereal? I was told 4 moths is a good time to start. That seems early...any help?
#6 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I was wondering when/if it is good to feed our son rice cereal? I was told 4 moths is a good time to start. That seems early...any help?
Probably a good idea to start your own thread for this question, but yes I agree that is too young. Babies should be exclusively breast (or formula) fed for the first 6-7 months. Also, grains are not the ideal food for small babies. They have a hard time digesting them before around one year old. Google Nina Planck. She has a good book out on feeding babies.
#7 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM

Before pregnancy I took a tablespoon of cod liver oil daily (about 3 times recommended amount shown on label) and when I learned I was pregnant I reduced that to one teaspoon a day (the serving size given on the label) ... somewhere in the 3rd trimester I ran out but I definitely had it in large amounts prior to pregnancy and then in moderate (recommended) amounts in first 2 trimesters. My baby is almost 2 now and is completely healthy (born 10+ lbs, 2 days past due date) and happy, no defects :-)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#8 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM

I take CLO daily and I find it works wonders in minimizing those pregnant hormonal mood swings.
#9 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 PM

I have currently out as ds broke my great big bottle of FCLO- I don't worry about it. It is not something I would ask permission about or even question. No worries. Took it last time as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#10 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 PM

i have been taking clo 60-70 % of my pregnancy and I am due any day! So I will find out shortly the results..........hopefully it will be a beautiful healthy baby!
#11 of 21 Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 PM

the best def. of why cod liver oil is dangerous/whatnot.
Should I worry about Vitamin A levels in your Cod Liver Oil?

There is some concern that cod liver oil has high levels of vitamin A. This concern stems from the fact that almost all cod liver oil products on the market are supplemented with added vitamin A (natural or synthetic). This is because many cod liver oil products are not made from cod livers! Many brands use fish body oil from species such as pollock or haddock as a less expensive source of oil, and then add vitamin A and D to mimic cod liver oil. This practice is allowed because the international production of cod liver oil is regulated by only one rule—the final product must match the specific EPA ratio (EPA to DHA) found in cod liver oil. These practices are not applicable, however, to the Nordic Naturals brand, and never have been. We have always used 100% Arctic Cod Livers in our CLO formulas, which have consequently always had low, healthy levels of naturally-occurring, fat-soluble vitamin A. We have never used fish body oils or any synthetic additives of any kind in our CLO. Nordic Naturals CLO typically averages 650-1500 IU of vitamin A per serving, which falls in the low range compared to other manufacturers’ products that can contain more than 4500 IU. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin A for adults (as established by the US Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science) is 3,000 IU for men and 2,300 IU for women.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Gen...ublic/FAQs/264

~Kate
#12 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Nordic naturals is actually the brand I've been using.
#13 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
the best def. of why cod liver oil is dangerous/whatnot.
Should I worry about Vitamin A levels in your Cod Liver Oil?

There is some concern that cod liver oil has high levels of vitamin A. This concern stems from the fact that almost all cod liver oil products on the market are supplemented with added vitamin A (natural or synthetic). This is because many cod liver oil products are not made from cod livers! Many brands use fish body oil from species such as pollock or haddock as a less expensive source of oil, and then add vitamin A and D to mimic cod liver oil. This practice is allowed because the international production of cod liver oil is regulated by only one rule—the final product must match the specific EPA ratio (EPA to DHA) found in cod liver oil. These practices are not applicable, however, to the Nordic Naturals brand, and never have been. We have always used 100% Arctic Cod Livers in our CLO formulas, which have consequently always had low, healthy levels of naturally-occurring, fat-soluble vitamin A. We have never used fish body oils or any synthetic additives of any kind in our CLO. Nordic Naturals CLO typically averages 650-1500 IU of vitamin A per serving, which falls in the low range compared to other manufacturers’ products that can contain more than 4500 IU. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin A for adults (as established by the US Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science) is 3,000 IU for men and 2,300 IU for women.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Gen...ublic/FAQs/264

~Kate
That's really interesting. I hadn't heard it.. can't you just read the label (ingredients) ... I mean if it says "cod liver oil" on it, compared to pollock, haddock, etc. then you'd know. It would be helpful to list the brands that are deceptive in this manner, so people would know which to avoid.

If you have any other info about this, or other links, I'd like to read them (esp. any links not from the site trying to sell its own product of course. Every company seems to have its say on why their product is always the best.)

The one I used prior to pregnancy and during was TwinLab I purchased at local health food store.. I didn't research it or anything, I just found it locally because it was convenient. After birth I switched to Carlsons which I ordered online because Twinlab used to come in glass bottle and changed to plastic and I didn't like that. Carlsons comes in a colored glass bottle, its also refrigerated, and I've been using it since.. it had a lot of good reviews from people online. I have never tried Nordic - I noticed the container is purple is it glass or plastic, and does it come (and are you supposed to store) refrigerated?

I never would have imagined there would be brands of "cod liver oil" that actually contained other fish oils (no cod livers) with added vit. A and D. I do read labels pretty good, but that is just plain strange.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#14 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 PM

I've taken it when I was pg with dd and now with this one. I don't typically get much in during the first trimester, but that's usually because I feel so ill and can't get it in rather than because it's something I avoid. I don't ask permission for these types of things from my CP and don't really look for their input. My mw gives out a standard packet of information at the first visit. It goes with the standard avoid liver, don't drink raw milk, etc. There are actually a large number of things in the packet that they talk about *not* doing that I still do. We're all still alive and healthy (anecdotal I know).
#15 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Funny you mention liver . . . this is my third pregnancy. Between this one and the previous one I've gone TF(ish) and started eating liver. I've never ever been told not to when pregnant. So, I had some for lunch yesterday and afterward in looking up some of the info about CLO and vit A/D, I discovered that liver has crazy high amounts of vit A and kind of freaked out.
#16 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 PM

we collected some of the research in this thread over in allergies:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14144495

I wouldn't hesitate to take CLO or eat lots of liver while pg. I'm 12 weeks, and the only reason I'm not doing CLO is that I'm totally grossed out by any and all ocean products, and I want to respect that message from my body. Strangely, I'm actually enjoying liver for the first time...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#17 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Does Nordic Naturals have synthetic vitamin A in it? I want to learn more about the different brands of CLO b/c I still don't 100% get why fermented CLO is the only one recommended by most folks...

TIA for any more info/link on this!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#18 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I still don't 100% get why fermented CLO is the only one recommended by most folks...

TIA for any more info/link on this!
If you scroll down on this page from the fermented blue ice page it explains why some people believe fermented is better--richer in enzymes and nutrients

Blue ice is the brand I took throughout my pg.
#19 of 21 Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamama View Post
If you scroll down on this page from the fermented blue ice page it explains why some people believe fermented is better--richer in enzymes and nutrients
Thanks for the link.

I totally agree and deeply believe in fermented foods--I just have read (I believe on the MDC forums) that the green pasture's fermented CLO is the *ONLY* CLO on the market that is actually safe (?) perhaps w/ non-synthetic vit. A. I would love to learn more about this b/c I've had lots of trouble getting my ds to take the fermented kind, and would love to give him some form of CLO--but not one that could be dangerous or not beneficial for him.

I traditional foods
#20 of 21 Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 PM

I found this on the Weston Price site which goes into this issue a bit more.

From the site, their recs for brands of CLO are as follows (in the US--check the link for other countries):

Quote:
BEST (Available Online/Mail Order):

* Dr. Ron's Ultra-Pure: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, 1-877-472-8701, drrons.com
* Radiant Life: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Premier High-Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, (888) 593-8333, radiantlifecatalog.com
* Green Pasture Products: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, (402) 858-4818, greenpasture.org
* Health Alert: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil (831) 372-2103, healthalertstore.com

GOOD (and available in Stores):

* Nordic Naturals Vitamin D Cod Liver Oil (NOT Nordic Naturals Regular Cod Liver Oil)
* Carlson's Cod Liver Oil 1,000 mg capsules
I found the article at the link helpful--hth someone else as well!

I traditional foods
#21 of 21 Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
we collected some of the research in this thread over in allergies:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=14144495

I wouldn't hesitate to take CLO or eat lots of liver while pg. I'm 12 weeks, and the only reason I'm not doing CLO is that I'm totally grossed out by any and all ocean products, and I want to respect that message from my body. Strangely, I'm actually enjoying liver for the first time...
Me too! Right when I got pregnant, I didn't want to see a piece of fish. I still took my FCLO though. My newborn is very healthy. I am all of a sudden craving fish now that I have my baby out.

And my midwife was totally for me taking CLO.

User Tag List