Question about soaking grains - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm having a hard time soaking my grains. I'm just not that good at planning meals ahead of time, and so I find myself preparing my grains without soaking. I was wondering in anyone has tried soaking larger batches and then freezing them, so that they'll always have soaked grains on hand. Does anyone know if this does something bad to them?

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
#2 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never thought about that. Might be a good idea for me - as I often get the urge to bake and am never prepared the night before. I will be interested to hear other's opinions.

Sharon 33, DH 29, DS 6yrs, DD 3yrs, DS2 2yrs Born at Home :
#3 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Hmmm... I've never done it, but it sounds like it'd make sense. People prepare and freeze beans and brown rice a lot... why not grains?

You might want to make sure the grain is pretty well dried out afterward, or else the freezing process will burst it's cells... could cause a funky texture. It's definitely worth trying, though!

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#4 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM

I've done it before - It's really convenient to have a meal-size portion already on hand. I make sure that I don't overcook the grains because if they burst during cooking it gets pretty mushy and nobody here likes that texture. Then just drain well and separate into portions & freeze.

I don't know if it changes them in some way but I'd venture to guess it's not going to ruin the effects of the soaking.
#5 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try it then, as it's the only way I can imagine actually having this work for us. thanks!

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
#6 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

Are we talking soaking then freezing then cooking or soaking cooking then freezeing? It definitely works just fine if they've been cooked. Not sure about if they've only been soaked.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 9 Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I was thinking about just soaking them, then freezing in single dinner-size portions. And just thawing what I needed for dinner and cooking. Bad idea?

#8 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM

I asked the same exact Q about rice recently and no one seemed to know.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...011&highlight=

I am going to do it - I will post how it works out
#9 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM

I saw some ground sprouted wheat flour at the traditional foods warehouse here... I wonder if you could find that somewhere?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page