What does water kefir taste like??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I've been thinking about getting some water kefir grains for awhile now, but the one thing I keep getting held up about is wondering what it tastes like it. I keep chickening out because I think I'll put the time and money into making some only to find out that I don't like it.
So, I was wondering if anyone could give me a good description of what it tastes like. I really don't like dairy kefir (I generally don't like dairy though, plus I have a dairy intolerance). I like most of the kombucha I've had, though I've never had homemade, only Synergy/GT and a couple other smaller brands. I know water kefir can be made in many different flavors...I'm just looking for a general description/comparison to give me an idea what I'd be getting myself into. (sadly, I don't know of anyone/anywhere local where I might be able to try some).
Thanks!!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#2 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM

I just started making a basic one with rapadura, raisins, and a little lemon and after 48 hour ferment it actually reminds me a lot of homemade kombucha with a little less vinegary taste. (I know you haven't tried homemade, but its my best comparison).

It tastes nothing like milk kefir (which I also love!)
#3 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 PM

It depends on how long you ferment it, and obviously how you flavor it.

Plain (water, sucanat, water kefir grains), with a short ferment... my neighbor claimed that it tasted like apple cider without the apple.

Plain with a long ferment, I'd say it tastes a little like apple cider vinegar, but less tangy.

I've got two favorite ways to drink it:
-2 parts water kefir (medium long ferment) to 1 part pineapple juice over ice... tastes like a pineapple punch that is a bit tart
-doing a short ferment and then straining grains and adding canteloupe guts and letting it ferment for another 12 hours or so... it is lightly canteloupe-y and tingly

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#4 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 PM

It really does depend on how you make it. I make two 1/2 gallon jars of it a day -- one for the kids and one for me. The kids' like dried mango, lemon, and a tiny bit of crystallized ginger post ferment and they say it tastes like Sprite. I let mine sit out an extra day after being strained with LOTS of fresh and crystallized ginger and lemon and it tastes like ginger ale. When we have friends over and I know ahead of time, I'll add lots of fruits for kids since we don't have soda or juice in the house, and I punch it up with lots of ginger and zest of citrus fruits for adults which ferments it more and gives it more of an edge for adults. If I have a batch that didn't ferment quite right, I mix it with milk kefir or kombucha (and I'm sure that if I had juice in the house, I could mix it with that).

Some people use their water kefir grains in juice instead of water -- grape juice is a popular choice it seems. Others use it to ferment coconut water or coconut milk. There are loads of possibilities!
#5 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM

My husband likened it to hard cider without the apples. Slightly sweet, slightly effervescent, slightly tangy. Very mild, but refreshing.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#6 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Where do you find water kefir grains? And is there a good website or book to teach one to make kefir?
#7 of 13 Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
Where do you find water kefir grains? And is there a good website or book to teach one to make kefir?
Dom's Kefir Site is full of information about kefir: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

There is a boatload of info there. I usually google Dom + whatever I'm looking for so that that particular bit of info comes up and then I search the page as his site has no search function.

You can buy WKG from a number of sources. I bought mine from Marilyn at www.kefirlady.com and they are absolutely wonderful grains and she provides great customer service. I just gave a bunch away last week, otherwise I'd have some right now, but I should again in the next week or two. I believe there's a swaps (or something?) forum here on MDC where people give them away as well. And there are Yahoo! Groups and then there's craigslist...
#8 of 13 Old 09-09-2009, 12:17 PM

My two favorite ways to drink it these days are:

2 qt. water kefir (grains removed) and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Makes a nice lemonade.

2 qt. water kefir (grains removed) and 1 - 1 1/2 cups blueberry pomegranate juice. Makes a mild fruity drink. Very yummy!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 13 Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM

I also am planning to start making water kefir and getting together my game plan. I read today somewhere that you should not use chlorinated water. Since tap water is chlorinated and that is our water source I'm wondering if I need to buy water to do make it? How important is that? And if so, where do I get the right kind of water. The only water I've seen at the store has floride added and doesn't say that it is chlorine free as far as I remember (I'm thinking of the nursery water for formula).

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#10 of 13 Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 PM

I've just started with water kefir and I am not wild about the taste - but working on getting the recipe right. I want a ginger kefir that tastes like ginger. so far it is a bit too vinegar-ish. I really can't eat milk kefir, but I don't like milk, other than in my coffee.

I buy mineral water as the instructions said not to use filtered water, and that is what I have at home. Chlorine needs to be removed from what I understand and I personally would not drink any fluorinated water.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#11 of 13 Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
I also am planning to start making water kefir and getting together my game plan. I read today somewhere that you should not use chlorinated water. Since tap water is chlorinated and that is our water source I'm wondering if I need to buy water to do make it? How important is that? And if so, where do I get the right kind of water. The only water I've seen at the store has floride added and doesn't say that it is chlorine free as far as I remember (I'm thinking of the nursery water for formula).
I use my filtered tapwater, but before that I boiled my water for 5 minutes.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#12 of 13 Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I have both sites bookmarked.
#13 of 13 Old 09-10-2009, 05:53 AM

My dh says that plain water kefir tastes like armpit.
Not of fan of it plain! We do two ferments to make kefir soda - the first for 24-48 hours with a cloth on top, and the second ferment with juice in a closed container. Some juices work better (we just use regular supermarket juices) in the end, it just tastes like juicy soda pop - really yummy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page