Any ideas for helping kefir taste good to kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 year old won't even look at it--too sour--and I don't want to load her up with a ton of suger to make it palatable. Any ideas for 'hiding' it? If I bake w/ it, those no benefit, right?

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM

Toss it in the blender with some frozen fruit and call it a smoothie. That's how I get my DH to drink it.

Or I mix up about 1/2 a c of it with a Tbs of maple syrup and some cinnamon. It's usually enough to take the edge off the sour, but the cinnamon helps "hide" the tart also.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks--I hadn't thought of cinnamon!
#4 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 PM

1 cup of kefir, 1/2 a frozen banana, some frozen berries and honey to taste.
Add a drop of vanilla if desired.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#5 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 05:25 PM

Yup. My 7-year-old wouldn't look at my goat milk kefir if I don't make it into a smoothie. I use sweet fruits i.e. strawberries or banana, cocoa powder, and some honey. Instead of kefir I call it "strawberry-chocolate smoothie and he loves it. He knows it's made out of goat milk kefir but he doesn't fight drinking it any more.
#6 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 PM

I have no trouble with my dd eating kefir. She likes to help strain the grains and she always tries to ea tthe grains. She says "kefir babies, yum". She likes it plain. Yeah weird. It is goats milk kefir and I let is sit up to 2 days.

I agree about the smoothie idea. I find that Nutiva hemp protien mixes are really strong in their own yummy flavor and it makes it tastes really good if added to your berry smoothies. I like the Amazon Acai since it has no added sugar.
#7 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM

Our absolute favorite way to make kefir is 1 1/2 cup kefir, 1 1/2 cup mango (we freeze it) and 1 tbsp honey (or other sweetner). DELICIOUS!!!!!!

I will also make a berry smoothie type drink, or a chocolate one (hot chocolate mix, banana, and strawberry) and pour them into popsicle molds that the girls LOVE!

Liz, Air Force wife, mommy to 3 kiddos.

#8 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 PM

There are tons of benefit in just 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon of kefir. That is easily hidden in juice or smoothies. Also, water kefir is more mild in flavor, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 10 Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM

We blend it with coconut milk, cocoa powder, frozen bananas, peanut or almond butter, and sometimes a spoonful of honey. Yum! A chocolate milkshake!
#10 of 10 Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM

I know this won't help the OP, but for anyone with a baby or young toddler looking--- START THEM EARLY!!

Some of DS' very first foods were plain yogurt, plain kefir, and fermented veggies. He totally has a taste for sour.

The other side of the equation is to watch the sweets (even fruit), the more they have, the less they'll tolerate the sour, bitter, etc flavors.

To OP: fruit, honey, maple syrup. But do a little less and a little less (I mean minute) every few days until you get down to just a touch. If you plan to do this---don't use red (or brightly colored) fruits, they'll notice the color getting lighter!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page