The Doing our Best Paleolithic support thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As for the yeast infection, *could* it be related to lots of yeasts (that may have been living off of the grains/starches pre-paleo) dying??

This happened to me mildly when I recently quick grains and all sugars but honey...(not fruit though)--I think it was related, but don't know lots about it!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
As for the yeast infection, *could* it be related to lots of yeasts (that may have been living off of the grains/starches pre-paleo) dying??

This happened to me mildly when I recently quick grains and all sugars but honey...(not fruit though)--I think it was related, but don't know lots about it!
I would vote it could be some die off as well or perhaps your diet has gotten off balance when you make drastic changes it is easy to get things out of whack- ie fat/protein/and carb levels.

I wanted to check in as well after a few so-so weeks, my body is calling me to be more strict. The problem is with being at the end of pregnancy chopping and preparing tons of veggies is time and energy intensive and frankly kind of a pain right now. Plus, I was getting tired of just eating vegetables as I generally don't eat fruit because of the sugar content. Since I had been tolerating the rice ok as far as bs I decided to try out fruit as I was desperately craving it and it has felt really great.

So, I made up a big fruit salad this morning and am hoping I can have that as an accompaniment to my breakfast as a quick grab and go thing. I also had dh pick up some frozen chopped veggies. We had stir-fry last night with tons of veggies and I ate it w/ no rice- but made some carrot "noodles" it was super yummy. I only have a few weeks to go here so I am hoping I can keep the motivation and energy to eat the best I can I want to be well nourished going into labor and the babymoon.

So, does anyone have good quick paleo ideas for snacks? I need to make up some date balls, but have a hard time finding them local at a decent price. I had put 15lbs on my coop order, but they were out I guess I will have to order them. I have been eating a pretty good amount of peanut butter as it just sounds good. Hot cocoa made from coconut milk or coconut milkshakes. I love elanas waffle/pancake recipe- especially with pecans-mmmm!!! I need fast meat protein options as well though as I have got to eat lots of protein and the nuts just don't cut it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM

yeah...I should stick around here.

In the past few years I have had multiple incarnations diet wise trying to find how I felt my best. Grain free, gluten free, dairy free refined crap and sugar free was my best to date. I have the most energy and feel great, but after years and years of being 100% slip up free and ultra strict I'm having a tough time re-committing. I have to get into alignment with what's best for my physical body is also best for my soul.

I have recipes and tricks up the wazoo so no shortage of ideas it's just a matter of buckling down and DOING it. So support would be welcome!

It's silly, really. My kids eat totally paleo 95% of the time, the only slip ups being corn and rice. My dh is the same way so it's certainly not a matter of lack of support....I'm the black sheep here! There's no crap here unless I buy it and if I do it's for ME. NOONE else can eat it. So I just need to get back on track! Someone needs to go shopping with me and physically restrain me from buying GF oats.

Thanks for letting me hang around.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 PM

I would LOVE to have your company PB I agree it is the commitment is hard sometimes. For me it is/was easiest the first time I think- although now when I do slip it is not near like the past. My disgressions are always rice and corn as well. I am trying to find a compromise as well that feels the best for me instead of just trying to stick to any particular ideology- but after a few years or so of eating this way off and on this is what I am drawn towards. Lots of animal protein, but I feel soooo very great when I am eating tons of veggies and green juice- I love raw foods as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM

AH yes. The happiest me ever was tons of meat, lots of juiced veggies and my beloved smoothies. I dont' do so well on a lot of fiber. My body is just so very happy with meat and it took me a long time to admit that.

The biggest thing is that I don't *like* to cook. Like at all. If the food was being made for me I'd be all set. (wouldn't we all?) It's when I get that combo of bored and hungry that I start making oatmeal squares or rice bowls. And even then it's not satisfying in any way. But I like the taste and texture. Sounds contradictory...but oddly it's not. I like it in the moment, but I feel like garbage later.

For me it's really about finding the balance. My only hesitation is that it's really easy for me to get crazed and lose perspective. So I'm sort of sallying up to it. Sideways-like. If I state "this is what I'm doing now" I'll do it-but at the expense of many things. So, I'm trying to take it slow and do it in a way that's emotionally nourishing as well as physically nourishing.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm so excited all these paleo/grain free threads are so active--we've been grain free for a few weeks or so and I'm really loving it, and always looking for new ideas!

I have a question for all you paleo folks--I'm wondering, what are your thoughts on potatoes? I know they are a no-no in some paleo circles, but in your experience, have you felt a-ok w/ potatoes or not so much???

Also, any good bread recipes to share (that would work as toast) that DON'T contain almond flour?? I've tried a few and tried to make substitutions but have had some trouble here...ds likes dunking toast into his eggs so I'd love to find a grain free alternative (he reacts to almonds).

I traditional foods
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 PM

I'm far from an expert, and not truly paleo (I eat dairy and too much sugar ), but I've eaten potatoes and felt ok. I don't eat big ones, and I eat butter with the ones I do eat. I think it depends on how your body reacts to it. If you feel ok after eating one, I would think you could eat them occasionally.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM

I eat potatoes sweet and otherwise and don't notice an issue, depending on what level of carbs I am trying to keep.

FairyRAe- Elana has a bread recipe w/ http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberr...read-revised/- I have been craving bread like crazy but have been too lazy to make any grainfree and find regular gf bread just not satisfying- this one seems pretty easy I might have to try it myself!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
FairyRAe- Elana has a bread recipe w/ http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberr...read-revised/- I have been craving bread like crazy but have been too lazy to make any grainfree and find regular gf bread just not satisfying- this one seems pretty easy I might have to try it myself!
Mmm--I've eyed that recipe in the past, and often thought coconut flour would make a PERFECT cran-walnut bread. I'm going to have to try it--my mom just got some cranberries yesterday, I think I need to borrow some!!!

I traditional foods
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
My kids eat totally paleo 95% of the time, the only slip ups being corn and rice.
*snip*
Someone needs to go shopping with me and physically restrain me from buying GF oats.
Same here. The kids LOVE popcorn, stove-popped in coconut oil & butter with tons of sea salt & kelp. The amount of CO & butter really makes it seem more like deep-frying.

And then rice. I cook our rice (usually jasmine or basmati - always white) in bone broth with a big piece of kombu & load it up with raw butter.

I have trouble saying "no" to these two foods for them (I'm okay with not indulging) because of all of the goodness I get into them this way.

I broke down & made these GF oat "cookies" the other day sweetened only with bananas & omg, the GAS from these children was unbelievable. And Ds was pooping 6 times a day!! Clearly, nobody here can eat oats, not even GF oats.

Quote:
I have a question for all you paleo folks--I'm wondering, what are your thoughts on potatoes? I know they are a no-no in some paleo circles, but in your experience, have you felt a-ok w/ potatoes or not so much???
I don't do well on potatoes. And technically, they're not paleo. But I think listening to your body is important. I occasionally give the kids potatoes, but not often. They seem to need more carbs than me to stay content - or else they're bugging for food with 10 minutes of eating.

Quote:
Also, any good bread recipes to share (that would work as toast) that DON'T contain almond flour?? I've tried a few and tried to make substitutions but have had some trouble here...ds likes dunking toast into his eggs so I'd love to find a grain free alternative (he reacts to almonds).
Can bread be Paleo? My initial feeling is "no" - but perhaps?

I've been eating like a hardcore, low-carb diabetic lately. (except for the tortillas on the carnitas last night )
I was really reacting to carbs/sugar & feared blood sugar/insulin issues leading towards diabetes. I don't "look like" someone who would develop diabetes - I'm 5'9 & 124 lbs, but I've had some pretty sorry adrenals for some time now which reduces the body's ability to regulate blood sugar/insulin. So I'm being super pro-active/careful.

I definitely FEEL better when I'm super low carb. I absolutely do best on a meat & veggies diet - and I've realized that it's actually EASIER to cook! I choose 3 meats for every day & a side of veggies for each meal, that's it. No snacking allowed. I give my body at least 4 hours between meals for insulin/blood sugar to stabilize & everything I'm going to eat/drink happens within about an hour - except for water, of course.

I find that as soon as I notice I'm hungry again, it's time to start getting the next meal ready, so it's worked out really well.

I'm going to be looking for a good, steady Paleo support community.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Can bread be Paleo? My initial feeling is "no" - but perhaps?
Well, 'paleo' as in what folks living in the paleolithic era ate--bread was certainly not on the menu. I guess I'm looking for some grain free bread subs that are not nut/seed based...(should have posted in the grain free threads!) I've seen some almondmeal/arrowroot based bread subs on paleofood.com, so maybe if you use paleo accepted ingredients bread can be made paleo in theat way?

I'm really *not* paleo (we also do lentils and beans and some potatoes)--just interested in learning more and getting lots from these kind of discussions!

I traditional foods
Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 PM

I'm going to join in. Just truly getting into it this week so perfect timing finding this thread! I started having problems similar to Metasquoia this past year, with this past month being really bad. My body seems to be naturally wanting this paleo diet...

I was TF for a couple years, but that is just not working anymore. I was strictly grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free, sugar-free, probably other things, for a couple years, but added some no-no's in as a trial. Not a happy body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I've been eating like a hardcore, low-carb diabetic lately. (except for the tortillas on the carnitas last night )
I was really reacting to carbs/sugar & feared blood sugar/insulin issues leading towards diabetes. I don't "look like" someone who would develop diabetes - I'm 5'9 & 124 lbs, but I've had some pretty sorry adrenals for some time now which reduces the body's ability to regulate blood sugar/insulin. So I'm being super pro-active/careful.
The idea floating around right now is that my pancreas developed a sensitivity to estrogen. The pancreas is overeacting and dumping too much insulin out with every meal - especially when I eat a carb. My adverse reactions - panic attack-like incidents - are actually my adrenals freaking out on me due to severe adrenal fatigue + balancing the blood sugar the pancreas is messing up. I was told to triple my adrenal supplements while we wait for more test results.

coolshine.gifSHINE!  Yogini.  My tuna girlgoldfish.gif  Partner to Dteapot2.GIF  Our little flower is herelove.gif/surpriseuc.jpg
Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

hi ladies! count me in ... we all definitely need the support, as we are definitely eating in a minority fashion

what did you all do for halloween?
we had sugar-free tootsie rolls to pass out, made egg based chocolate fudge for at home, and ate pumpkin soup!! yum.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
The idea floating around right now is that my pancreas developed a sensitivity to estrogen. The pancreas is overeacting and dumping too much insulin out with every meal - especially when I eat a carb. My adverse reactions - panic attack-like incidents - are actually my adrenals freaking out on me due to severe adrenal fatigue + balancing the blood sugar the pancreas is messing up. I was told to triple my adrenal supplements while we wait for more test results.
Yea, I definitely see a correlation between unhappy adrenals & carb-intolerance. When I'm feeling better adrenal-wise - no dizziness upon standing, good energy, less aches - I've noticed I don't react to carbs. But I think this works cyclically - if I get rid of the carbs/sugar, my blood sugar will be more stable which will give my adrenals a break - which in turn will help keep my blood sugar even.

I don't even know IF my blood sugar/insulin is out of whack, but I know that I feel panicky (good description!) after eating carbs/sugar. I actually ate a few pieces of chocolate on Halloween & it didn't really bother me the way say, a potato does.

My ND wants me to take massive doses of B5 to help correct my hormonal imbalance & I know that B5 is ultra important for the adrenals.

Sooooo....back to the thread topic, lol. My uncertainty at this point is how to feed the family. I don't know what to believe. Some say that kids *need* carbs & for the most part, I find that they do require some carbs at each meal. If they eat just eggs for breakfast, they're hungry not too long after - especially Dd1 who is most like me. Bacon & eggs keep them content for longer, so maybe just more fat is needed. But especially at dinner, they seem to need *some* carb or they're pestering within 1/2 hour.

Another thing is snacking. Some say snacking should be avoided for kids (& adults) but sometimes (especially when they're REALLY active), they get hungry. My gut says to give something like nuts or some animal protein & fat - like a hard boiled egg & avocado.

It's so much easier to just make meat & veggies, but I wonder if the kids need more? They'll eat it without complaint, especially if I slather everything with raw butter. I guess way back when, kids ate Paleo & we survived & evolved. Tom Cowan says that kids should get some form of carbs (even in properly prepared grains) so they don't crave crappy carbs/sugar outside of the home. But I tend to lean towards any type of carby foods leading to carb cravings.

Dd1 is particularly prone to yeast & will load up on rice (cooked in bone broth with kombu, slathered in raw butter) like nobody's business. The other two are *much* more balanced. I've been making this rice for them about once a week because it gets the iodine & minerals into them.

How do you make soups? I admit to feeling like soups *need* a handful of rice or potato to complete them.
I made an awesome goat stew a couple of weeks ago (if I do say so myself ) but it had some carrots & potatoes which I think made the dish.
What kinds of substitutions do you use? I like my stews on the thick side.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:36 PM

I am not paleo perfect, so I do potatoes for soups. I try to do more sweet potatoes- of course there is the argument that all tubers are bad and the arguement that sweet potatoes/yams are ok. Also, I have used grated cauliflower as a rice sub in soup and just a general rice sub and I think it is pretty darn good.

The kids definitley eat more carbs than me. I don't know what to think about that, but as long as they seem to be doing well I am happy with a tf/whole foods diet for them- not so much a perfect paleo diet. I like to do more paleo for myself as I feel the best on that. Who knows, my thoughts on diet are constantly evolving, so it is hard to say.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM

I just made a beef stew with beef, carrots, mushrooms, green beans, onions and parsnips. Very good. I don't miss the potatoes too much as long as I have parsnips or cauliflower. I do find in my chicken soup that pureeing steamed cauliflower totally makes it more satisfying for me.

I love cauliflower subbed out for mashed "potato" and blend it with pine nuts for "rice." I also do occasionally do yams even when I'm "on track."

I find my kids do great on this diet even when we are doing it grain free with fruit as the main source of carbs. They have never really shown any cravings either way. However when I do offer rice (which is still not often) they do love it. I wouldn't cal it a craving though as they don't eat it to the exclusion of their dinner. My daughter though has an odd habit of loading her rice with broccoli and saurkraut. She's an odd duck though!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Okay, so perhaps the love of rice isn't a craving. Dd1 especially goes for the meat first & will have seconds - same with the fat - mainly raw butter on everything. Dd2 rotates her preferences & Ds *always* goes for the fermented veggies first, meat second, carbs last (or sometimes not at all.)

Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Sounds like they are pretty darned balanced, mama. And since the rice is so nutrient dense (because of how you make it) I can totally see why you wouldn't want to cut it.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I don't miss the potatoes too much as long as I have parsnips or cauliflower. I do find in my chicken soup that pureeing steamed cauliflower totally makes it more satisfying for me.
Mmmm--I made a thick chicken stew out of leftover chicken soup (made a roux (sp?) out of coconut flour and some of the broth to thicken it--yum! I made mashed cauliflower and brocolli w/ coconut milk (mashed potatoes style) and poured the stew over it--sooooo yummy!

I traditional foods
Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds like they are pretty darned balanced, mama. And since the rice is so nutrient dense (because of how you make it) I can totally see why you wouldn't want to cut it.
This is a tough one for me--rice is the major source of bone broth my ds will eat...any good paleo/grain free ideas (besides soups and drinking it up!) for getting bone broth into kids? I use it to make BBQ sauce as well...just would love more ideas...

I traditional foods
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM

I'm finally ready to join this thread!!!

Today is my one month anniversary of being primal. I follow www.marksdailyapple.com

I have completely cut grains out of my life because they were making me so sick.

We still consume some dairy, but only full fat versions, and much less than we used to.

Tubers have a very small part in our diets, but we've been experimenting with lower carb tubers like turnip and celeriac.

I just feel so much better eating like this and feeding my family this way.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM

We don't hardly eat parsnips, I really need to use those more in our diet.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yea, that's what I struggle with. Between the bone broth & the iodine in the kombu/kelp - it's full of minerals. Add on the GOBS of raw butter on top & it feels really healthy! (Not that we don't gob butter onto *everything*..)
But even I seem to be fine most of the time with my rice cooked this way.
I can't eat plain white rice out or I get heart palps, sweats & dizziness, but I've only once had this feeling (mildly) from my rice.

This is where I'm unsure. I TOTALLY agree with the idea of Paleo eating. I think eating like a diabetic (how a diabetic *should* eat, not how the ADA recommends ) is the healthiest diet for humans. But what about listening to how your body feels? And rice is REALLY carby...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Today is my one month anniversary of being primal. I follow www.marksdailyapple.com
I am IN LOVE with this blog!! Thanks for sharing! And congratulations!!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 AM

uh oh... have a chocolate raspberry cake baking in my dads oven right now (we are staying at his house). it's definitely not paleo or TF!! must.resist.eating.the.chocolate.raspberryness.

what are your favorite sweet treats? i had been doing a lot of nut flour baking, but have cut back on that in the last few months. right now i am working on an almond milk egg custard, similar to english custard, to go with blackberries. nomm nom nom.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:46 PM

hi ladies! well I haven't really been on the forums for a couple months, all the holiday busyness and having relatives in... you know how it goes!

I made through the holidays okay, though I drank too much alcohol, and indulged a bit on some carbage, I am back on track now. how is everyone else doing?

User Tag List