The Doing our Best Paleolithic support thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there other paleolithic eaters out there???? I"m new to this but loving it. I started dong it two weeks ago due to 5 years of candida issues and then just a few days ago found out it is an acutal diet and found a GREAT website with recipes and one stating the allowed/disallowed foods. Wondering if we could start a support thread or if there is one allready that I can't find? THanks!

ETA I also wanted to add that I LOVE this diet but personally do not believe in the evolution theory usually linked to this diet...I believe in creation. I do the diet cause it works for me (so far ) Just so there isn't any confusion

ETA We Welcome everyone but ask that you respect that we all have different bodies and different needs (financianl, time, support or lack of from family etc) so it's natural our diets will be different and therefor all judging should be left at the door...After all you can't do it all and we all have different priorities that make our different choices. Let's support eachother in an area that is difficult to change in our processed foods world :
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#2 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
 
dogmom327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 5,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me! I switched over a little over 2 months ago. I'm not perfect (very dark chocolate is my cheat) but I do pretty darn well most days.

I switched for two reasons: food sensitivities in my newborn (dairy, sugar, gluten) and to address my candida issues which have plagued me for 10 years and TF wasn't ultimately helping.

Subbing for ideas and support

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

dogmom327 is offline  
#3 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you see this site? http://paleofood.com/

I think it's awesome! (I'm not paleo, but am gluten and dairy free, and often go totally grain free when I feel not so good. I feel awesome every time I eat a totally paleo diet...)

Watching this thread with interest!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#4 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Me! I switched over a little over 2 months ago. I'm not perfect (very dark chocolate is my cheat) but I do pretty darn well most days.

I switched for two reasons: food sensitivities in my newborn (dairy, sugar, gluten) and to address my candida issues which have plagued me for 10 years and TF wasn't ultimately helping.

Subbing for ideas and support
YAY! Oh my on the 10 years of candida...I thought 5 was bad! I'm going hard core. The only thing I venture off with is plain organic yogurt...I believe in probiotic cultures and need to put the good stuff back...I feel soo much better after eating alot of it so I know it works for me. I have a almost 5mo and I quit dairy (other than the yogurt) a while back for her. Glad you are intrested here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Have you see this site? http://paleofood.com/

I think it's awesome! (I'm not paleo, but am gluten and dairy free, and often go totally grain free when I feel not so good. I feel awesome every time I eat a totally paleo diet...)

Watching this thread with interest!
YUP, that's the site I get all my recipies off so far. I forgot to link it in my thread but will at the top. THanks! Glad your watching

So I just started doing the sweet treats with organic unsweetended coconut and honey...is this a bad idea with the candida??? I've been off all sweets other than fruit for 2 weeks now. Of course, I'm using this stuff in moderation but also don't want to regress KWIM?
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#5 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
 
deditus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In the LandOLakes missin the mitten
Posts: 2,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are working towards paleo. I believe it is the diet our bodies are designed for. We eat mostly meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and fat, with some "not allowed" stuff like beans, maple syrup, tubers, and some buckwheat and rice. Like I said - work in progress! Dd is gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant, we suspect dh has celiac disease, and I am just all around a wreck, so we think this is the best diet to help us heal and stay healthy.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
deditus is offline  
#6 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We try to be paleo as well. Have been working on this a few years now. I have months that are really great and then some really bad days. Thankfully now the mistakes do get fewer and farther between. It has been more of a challenge lately as with my budget as my budget has been cut a lot and I am getting big and pregnant and my energy levels go up and down. So, trying to keep it as simple as possible. Beans are for sure in my life right now as they help stretch the budget and I would much rather be beans than grains. potatoes are as well and no I don't feel guilt about them- seems to work for me just fine and with trying to stretch the budget without grains I have to make some concessions

today was well except 1 waffle made w/ rice and tapioca flour- I had an afternoon crash after an incredibly crazy day. I stopped at one though. However, breakfast was homemade sausage and veggie hash(beets- potato- and onions), lunch was chicken- romain- tomatoes and sunflower seeds- snack- chocolate coconut chia seed pudding- and supper was yummy roast w/ potatoes, carrots, and onions.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#7 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
 
dogmom327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 5,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
YAY! Oh my on the 10 years of candida...I thought 5 was bad! I'm going hard core. The only thing I venture off with is plain organic yogurt...I believe in probiotic cultures and need to put the good stuff back...I feel soo much better after eating alot of it so I know it works for me. I have a almost 5mo and I quit dairy (other than the yogurt) a while back for her. Glad you are intrested here!

You might consider using fermented veggies instead of yogurt as a source of probiotics. Of course this is very individual but I found that I really had to walk away from dairy to see big improvements.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

dogmom327 is offline  
#8 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 PM
nym
 
nym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Alberta
Posts: 4,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing to this as I am trying to get into this form of diet... I have been grain free for almost a month, and am trying to refine it a little more now..
nym is offline  
#9 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
We are working towards paleo. I believe it is the diet our bodies are designed for. We eat mostly meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and fat, with some "not allowed" stuff like beans, maple syrup, tubers, and some buckwheat and rice. Like I said - work in progress! Dd is gluten, dairy, and soy intolerant, we suspect dh has celiac disease, and I am just all around a wreck, so we think this is the best diet to help us heal and stay healthy.
WElcome! I think the allowed/disallowed list might be differnet depending on what website you go to as everything else...I just liked the one I posted cause it was allready what I was doing and is a good guide for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
We try to be paleo as well. Have been working on this a few years now. I have months that are really great and then some really bad days. Thankfully now the mistakes do get fewer and farther between. It has been more of a challenge lately as with my budget as my budget has been cut a lot and I am getting big and pregnant and my energy levels go up and down. So, trying to keep it as simple as possible. Beans are for sure in my life right now as they help stretch the budget and I would much rather be beans than grains. potatoes are as well and no I don't feel guilt about them- seems to work for me just fine and with trying to stretch the budget without grains I have to make some concessions

today was well except 1 waffle made w/ rice and tapioca flour- I had an afternoon crash after an incredibly crazy day. I stopped at one though. However, breakfast was homemade sausage and veggie hash(beets- potato- and onions), lunch was chicken- romain- tomatoes and sunflower seeds- snack- chocolate coconut chia seed pudding- and supper was yummy roast w/ potatoes, carrots, and onions.
Welcome!!! There will be no judging here!!! I need to put that at the top. We all have different bodies and different needs (financianl, time, support or lack of from family etc) so it's natural our diets will be different...You can't do it all! (especially while pregnant!)

I don't do the organic grass fed only meat or all organic veggies/fruits. I'm just not there yet, and may never be. It is a huge expense and I'm not prepared to make that sacrafice. I will be doing a homestead organic farm co-op here but it doesn't start again till May. I may add things like beans back into my diet later, as well as splurge occassionally when out to eat or holidays or parties once I feel the candida is truly under control. Right now I have to go all or nothing to get started
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#10 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
You might consider using fermented veggies instead of yogurt as a source of probiotics. Of course this is very individual but I found that I really had to walk away from dairy to see big improvements.
I"ve thought of that...can you get fermented veggies from teh stores? I seriously have no cooking/canning/gardening experience. I grew up on canned veggies and fruits, meat and potato and alot of stuff from the box which is in turn alot of what I've fed my family (though frozen or fresh veggies/fruits not canned ) So I've read that normal pickles at the store are not actually fermented? But really I feel great with the yogurt, it has been what makes me feel better for a month or so since I started eating it twice a day. But may be interested in dropping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
subbing to this as I am trying to get into this form of diet... I have been grain free for almost a month, and am trying to refine it a little more now..
Welcome!!!! Grain free for a month...WAY TO GO!!!

ETA I'm so proud of myself! I acutally made meals from recipes today! This is a BIG thing for me. And they were all paleo. We had apple for breakfast (on the go) Spinach/mushroom omlet with kiwi and grapes for lunch, bannana with almond butter for snack, paleo meatballs with fresh veggies for supper and nut/dried fruit/honey dessert. I'm just so excited about this!!!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#11 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 PM
 
dogmom327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 5,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I"ve thought of that...can you get fermented veggies from teh stores? I seriously have no cooking/canning/gardening experience. I grew up on canned veggies and fruits, meat and potato and alot of stuff from the box which is in turn alot of what I've fed my family (though frozen or fresh veggies/fruits not canned ) So I've read that normal pickles at the store are not actually fermented? But really I feel great with the yogurt, it has been what makes me feel better for a month or so since I started eating it twice a day. But may be interested in dropping it.


Welcome!!!! Grain free for a month...WAY TO GO!!!
If yogurt works for you that's great! No judgment here...I just know I thought I was doing fine with raw dairy but felt better once I was off it. The whole experience has been really weird honestly.

It is really hard to find truly fermented veggies in the store but depending on where you live, it might be possible. Doing your own though is super easy. For example, to make sauerkraut, you cut up cabbage, mix in some salt and then work the cabbage with your hands for about 8-10 minutes. Stuff it in a jar so it's under the brine that was created when you worked the cabbage (the juice comes out) and leave it for a week or two.

It's so awesome to see other people doing well going grain free and working towards primal/paleo....it's encouraging to me to keep up what I'm doing and know I'm not alone

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

dogmom327 is offline  
#12 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
If yogurt works for you that's great! No judgment here...I just know I thought I was doing fine with raw dairy but felt better once I was off it. The whole experience has been really weird honestly.

It is really hard to find truly fermented veggies in the store but depending on where you live, it might be possible. Doing your own though is super easy. For example, to make sauerkraut, you cut up cabbage, mix in some salt and then work the cabbage with your hands for about 8-10 minutes. Stuff it in a jar so it's under the brine that was created when you worked the cabbage (the juice comes out) and leave it for a week or two.

It's so awesome to see other people doing well going grain free and working towards primal/paleo....it's encouraging to me to keep up what I'm doing and know I'm not alone
Hey thanks I might try that. If I don't have to shell out $3.50 for a thing of yogurt DH will be happier too! Plus I don't care for the taste, but LOVE saurkraut! HOw often do you eat it?

I just noticed on disallowed list it said no coconut (other than coconut oil) or carab. I took recipes off that listed above website when I went to the store and just bought a whole bag of both Guess I need to be careful with some of those reciepes as not everyone views allowed/disallowed foods the same. Will use those two things sparinly but will not throw them out!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#13 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
 
FairyRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
I"ve thought of that...can you get fermented veggies from teh stores? I seriously have no cooking/canning/gardening experience.
You can buy Bubbies dill pickles and sauerkraut--both are lactofermented and not pasteurized. My local HFS carries them, along w/ a couple of local brands.

But, making cultured veggies is soooooooooooooo easy once you try it...I bet you could find a video on youtube that would show how to do it...Also, you can do water kefir or make non-dairy juice kefir or coconut milk kefir using milk kefir grains...and there is also coconut milk yogurt...(Although the one food I miss most of all being on a gluten/dairy/soy/corn free diet is full-fat, cream on the top yogurt...mmmmmmmmm. I don't know that I'd avoid it if it weren't for my ds's issues w/ it...)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
FairyRae is offline  
#14 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 PM
 
snowbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been strongly considering going paleo if only for a month on a trial basis. I'm thinking it'll help me TTC (I've got PCOS). There's nothing in grain or dairy, for that matter, that you can't find elsewhere. Now don't get me wrong: I think these are perfectly good foods, but I have an inkling that paleo food will be better for my constitution.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
snowbunny is offline  
#15 of 55 Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love the title!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#16 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're a bunch of Type Os here & from experience, I know that Paleo works best for us. When I eat something carby, I get lightheaded & have heart palps & feel like I'm high, in a bad way - kind of out-of-body-ish.

I crave animal protein & salt. Fortunately, we all like fermented veggies over here & most meals consist of a piece of meat with a side of fermented veggies. We all do best on foods like this.

I need to have some "treats" so nobody feels deprived & I usually make muffins with coconut & ground pumpkin seeds - this usually takes care of the cravings.

Lately I've wanted to branch out in terms of variety of proteins, so I've ordered a goat (meat) & venison. I'd love to have a discussion of what other animal proteins you eat & how you prepare them.

P.S. We're hardcore GF & mostly dairy free (except I cheat & Dd1 & Ds have been having yogurt since Dd1 is battling yeast & Ds took abx for strep, but Dd2 clearly cannot have dairy.) We occasionally eat rice cooked in bone broth & splurge on GF french fries upon occasion.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#17 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
 
snowbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I need to have some "treats" so nobody feels deprived & I usually make muffins with coconut & ground pumpkin seeds - this usually takes care of the cravings.
I have a GREAT recipe for coconut flour and citrus madeleines. It uses coconut flour, coconut milk, honey and a touch of citrus and vanilla. I find that when I use coconut flour in baking, I can be satisfied with just one brownie or just one madeleine unlike when I use carb-rich flours and I keep going back to snitch a bite until it's all gone.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
snowbunny is offline  
#18 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Tigeresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Space Mountain
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing SCD with attention to bloodtype/genotype superfoods...pretty darn close to paleo. Been on it for about 3 weeks, after determining that straight gluten-free wasn't making any difference. The one thing I do have is certain cheeses that are both OK for SCD and my genotype.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can have Synergy on this plan. Apparently they brew their Kombucha for 30 days which should eliminate the sugar...but how do I know for sure!?! I really miss it and think I need the probiotics. The juice added to it should be fine...
Tigeresse is offline  
#19 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
I have a GREAT recipe for coconut flour and citrus madeleines. It uses coconut flour, coconut milk, honey and a touch of citrus and vanilla. I find that when I use coconut flour in baking, I can be satisfied with just one brownie or just one madeleine unlike when I use carb-rich flours and I keep going back to snitch a bite until it's all gone.
PLEASE share that recipe, it sounds delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeresse View Post
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I can have Synergy on this plan. Apparently they brew their Kombucha for 30 days which should eliminate the sugar...but how do I know for sure!?! I really miss it and think I need the probiotics. The juice added to it should be fine...
I can say that after drinking an entire bottle myself in a half hour, I don't feel any blood sugar problems & I'm VERY sensitive. This is another treat I'll get for us when we're out.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#20 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey guys, wondering where everyone buys their coconut flour- I am starting to run low and looking to get the best deal. Last time I bought TT had a 2 for 1 special, but I don't see anything going on right now.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#21 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My local Amish farmer sells WFN & I really like it. My local HFS sells Bob's Red Mill which I haven't tried yet.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#22 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering how the heck you do paleo eating out?? Even meat has sauces or breading or something in it. Is salad the only way to go? We are going out of town this weekend and I don't want to be hungry, or give in.
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#23 of 55 Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Tigeresse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Space Mountain
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I can say that after drinking an entire bottle myself in a half hour, I don't feel any blood sugar problems & I'm VERY sensitive. This is another treat I'll get for us when we're out.
Thanks! I tried some today and it is way less sweet than the watered down grape juice I've been drinking. I think it will be a great help to get me through a weekend out of town.
Tigeresse is offline  
#24 of 55 Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 AM
 
crunchy_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 5,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Wondering how the heck you do paleo eating out?? Even meat has sauces or breading or something in it. Is salad the only way to go? We are going out of town this weekend and I don't want to be hungry, or give in.
Plain steak, chicken(the real stuff not those fake chicken breasts), seafood and some steamed veggies or baked sweet potato(if you do them) or salad on the side. Now, if you are just doing fast food fare the options are a lot more limiting, but in real sit down restaurants usually there are good options.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
crunchy_mama is offline  
#25 of 55 Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineliketheSon View Post
Wondering how the heck you do paleo eating out?? Even meat has sauces or breading or something in it. Is salad the only way to go? We are going out of town this weekend and I don't want to be hungry, or give in.
Not at all. I always ask what's on meat since we're GF. You can get a plain grilled piece of meat almost anywhere (besides fast food joints.) Places like Outback do use a seasoning that has gluten in it, so I just ask for salt & pepper & let them know that we're GF. Seafood is another option.

Meat & veggies is our usual fare, so that's what we order. On rare occasions, we go to a really nice restaurant that is fantastic about food allergies (& local food!) & I can get a delicious Pad Thai w/o gluten (totally NOT Paleo, but delish. )

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#26 of 55 Old 09-25-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Junegoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just gonna sit over here in the corner and hope to soak up some inspiration. I am already gluten, dairy, and soy free... very unfortunately coconut-free, too. If I could get one allergen back, of all of those, I think it would be coconut! I can handle all the others just fine, thanks.

Anyway, I'm 25 weeks pregnant, about to be tested yet again for gestational diabetes, and expecting to flunk. I have blood sugar issues. I know this. I somehow lack the self-discipline to eat the way I know I need to. So, I'm actually hoping to flunk the screening. I hate that I need outside pressure in order to eat right. But it seems that I do. Not that I'm gorging on crap food all the time... but I seem unable to let go of my carby crutches. Rice with stir-fry, funky GF frankenbreads with breakfast. Rice pasta once or twice a week. I've already forced so many changes on my family, due to my allergies, that I feel bad not giving them the carby stuff they love. Dh really, really, really NEEDS to eat Paleo with me, but really doesn't want to.

So, anyway... yeah. I 100% wholeheartedly fully believe that Paleo is the way to go. Definitely best for me, probably best for most people on the planet. I just keep yeahbutting myself. (You know... "yeah that's a great idea, but...")

Oh... one of my other challenges with hardcore Paleo is that I'm semi-allergic to eggs. If I can find soy-free eggs and not eat them too often, I'm ok. Soooo... egg-free, coconut-free, low-carb Paleo breakfast ideas? Anyone?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
Junegoddess is offline  
#27 of 55 Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I didnt do too bad this weekend. Had some fish, chicken and salads eating out. The wedding served roast beef ( I passed on the gravy), fresh veggies and fruits. I avoided the pasta salads, mashed Ps and cake. But then the next morning ended up eatin a wheat bagel at the continental breakfast, I was starving and fruit did not cut it. Last night I had a few bites of Dh fried food and a salad with some good dressing (not alot) I just can't eat a salad with oil and vinegar dressing. Sooo lookin like I'm not going full paleo but I did so for a month...hopefully enough to have gotten rid of the bad yeast. I guess it's good this is called the "doing our best" paleo thread!!! I'm gonna keep most of the diet but splurge on some things here and there AS LONG AS THE YEAST STAYS AT BAY

I found some barrel cured kraut in the ref section at store, no vinegar in ingredients so is this the good fermented stuff for probiotics????

Oh and I gave up the yogurt...feelin pretty good about that! So gonaa still stay Dairy free.
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#28 of 55 Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junegoddess View Post
I'm just gonna sit over here in the corner and hope to soak up some inspiration. I am already gluten, dairy, and soy free... very unfortunately coconut-free, too. If I could get one allergen back, of all of those, I think it would be coconut! I can handle all the others just fine, thanks.

Anyway, I'm 25 weeks pregnant, about to be tested yet again for gestational diabetes, and expecting to flunk. I have blood sugar issues. I know this. I somehow lack the self-discipline to eat the way I know I need to. So, I'm actually hoping to flunk the screening. I hate that I need outside pressure in order to eat right. But it seems that I do. Not that I'm gorging on crap food all the time... but I seem unable to let go of my carby crutches. Rice with stir-fry, funky GF frankenbreads with breakfast. Rice pasta once or twice a week. I've already forced so many changes on my family, due to my allergies, that I feel bad not giving them the carby stuff they love. Dh really, really, really NEEDS to eat Paleo with me, but really doesn't want to.

So, anyway... yeah. I 100% wholeheartedly fully believe that Paleo is the way to go. Definitely best for me, probably best for most people on the planet. I just keep yeahbutting myself. (You know... "yeah that's a great idea, but...")

Oh... one of my other challenges with hardcore Paleo is that I'm semi-allergic to eggs. If I can find soy-free eggs and not eat them too often, I'm ok. Soooo... egg-free, coconut-free, low-carb Paleo breakfast ideas? Anyone?
Dh and DD1 won't do mostly paleo...DD1 gets the really good stuff most of the day as I'm home but then will get the not so great when out to eat or some suppers...can't do EVERYTHING!

That sounds like a tough position your in with the preggo, GD, no eggs etc....I wish I had some answers for you but I'm so new to all this...I hope some others have some help for you!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
#29 of 55 Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
 
AutumnW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm going to start this sort of diet. I'm not going to follow the websites explicitly because I'm an anthropology/archaeology student studying mostly prehistoric people and I know that real paleo people ate small amounts of some of the not-allowed foods like coconut, wild rice, oats, corn meal and especially TUBORS. I'm not saying these things should be eaten daily but every once in a while just makes for good variety. I need to work on fermenting veggies and I think I'm going to make some beef jerky.

So, don't feel too bad if you all eat some things that are not on the list because paleo people ate whatever they could get their hands on and their health didn't decline until they started farming and eating large amounts of the same grains for the majority of their food

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

AutumnW is offline  
#30 of 55 Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
ShineliketheSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've added a few things into my diet here and there and have splurged when out to eat a few times...otherwise Ive done pretty good. Ended up having AF for 4 weeks straight thinkin its related to drastic diet change...well now I have a yeast infect again this isn't worth it if it doesn't help me!
ShineliketheSon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off