Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
I'm so sorry I never replied! Here are a couple of sites with good recipes:

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...grain-and.html (the photos will make your mouth water!)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/--she uses a lot of agave nectar, which I don't use. I substitute stevia with a touch of honey

Hmmm...now I feel like baking...
Thanks!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
How's grain free cooking/eating going?

I've been fine--not even missing it (I used to have a/b 1 serving of grains a day--if that--rice pasta weekly, rice w/ a meal weekly, and sourdough buckwheat bread as toast or a sandwich a couple times a week--oh, and rice tortillas on taco night).

I definitely immediately felt a bit slimmer going grain free, but I really don't feel that different...Maybe b/c we are already gluten and corn free and don't eat that many grains to begin w/???

How do you all feel, and have you eperienced differences/changes in how you feel after a longer period of being grain free? I wonder, from this (limited) experience, if some of the grain free goodness is strongly related to gluten, along w/ the big issue of so many folks consuming improperly prepared grains?

What are all of your thoughts on this? (And I KNOW the paleo diet had no grains--and sometimes I think a/b switching to paleo living as well, just for fun ) I am just really suprised that I feel mostly the same as I did prior to dropping grains...I guess I just expected to feel a bigger change...(Perhaps b/c when I dropped gluten, I totally went through a kind of withdrawl--headaches and foggy brain, but came out feeling clearer and just plain healthier on 'the other side'--its something I'm definitely sensitive to!)

Just feeling slightly underwhelmed...
I feel overwhelmed!

I can't believe how much better I feel. I wasn't eating a ton of grains, but whenever I did I was feeling sick, sore stomach, sluggish...

I have none of that now!

I'm loving mark's daily apple, and I like that his primal philosophy includes some dairy, as that's what has been keeping me from paleo eating.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#33 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Well, after my last post (a/b being underwhelmed) I thought, why not just eat some rice w/ dh and ds. I did and felt bloated and uncomfortable and sluggish. I've continued to be grain free since (and am now looking into GAPS/SCD). I'm really thinking about dropping all refined sugars, and even dropping my beloved maple syrup (and just using honey or stevia and fruit, etc.) and even possibly dropping starches like potatoes (based on GAPS/SCD recs)...I just really am interested in experimenting to see what manner of eating feels best to *me*!

In my learning a/b GAPS/SCD, I've found some links/blogs that will, by nature of the diets, have only grain free recipes:

http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/view-all/
http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/indexa.html
http://nomorecrohns.com/deliciousrecipes.aspx
http://grainfreefoodie.blogspot.com/
http://pecanbread.com/new/recipes1.html
http://www.thenewhuntergatherer.blogspot.com/
http://gapsguide.com/category/recipes/
http://eatingscd.wordpress.com/2008/...at-by-picture/
http://kenya-portals.com/colitis/category/scd-recipes/
http://www.geocities.com/momtobandj/scdpictures.html

I thought I'd share!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#34 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 11:11 AM

FairyRae sounds like SCD or Gaps might me a perfect fit for you right now! I have done SCD in the past as well, but never GAPS.

I am currently eating more grains than I was pre-pregnancy- as I said previously due to the budget and my need for more carbs in pregancy. However, I am still feeling good and no bloating- that I can tell anyway(you know being so huge and pregnant). However, sugar seems to be a bigger issue. I also have figured that whole grains(gf of course) seem to be ok in moderation, but baked products with those flours don't really sit well- so when I bake it is generally grain free. Although, I don't bake a lot- maybe 1x a week. I made a grainfree chocolate banana cake the other day that was pretty good, but I lost the recipe or I would share it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#35 of 57 Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
FairyRae sounds like SCD or Gaps might me a perfect fit for you right now! I have done SCD in the past as well, but never GAPS.
Crunchy_mama--did you find SCD helpful? I too think this might be the next step for me, and am reallllllly interested in learning how others feel about these diets...

I traditional foods
#36 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Crunchy_mama--did you find SCD helpful? I too think this might be the next step for me, and am reallllllly interested in learning how others feel about these diets...
I think it can be great and wonderful and at that time was good for us. Although- I don't have a desire to do it again. I think you should do whatever draws you. I think it helped us move forward. It didn't answer all our questions but it was a step on our path. I am really missing that 24 hr yogurt as of late- it is just not the same w/ coconut milk. I'm sorry I cannot remember a lot of the specifics it has been 4 yrs ago that I did it. It did start me figuring out that something with grains caused me issue and tipped me off to know that my next pregnancy I did my diet totally different. I didn't stay perfect SCD by any means- but tried to follow the basic principles- grains and sugars were kept to a minimum.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#37 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Oh blah. I got some gorgeous, gluten free, whole food, fairly low carb granola yesterday when picking up my raw milk. It had buckwheat and rice bran in it.

WOW. I was shocked at how that little bit affected me. Felt like I got punched in the gut until I had a bowel movement this am (sorry, tmi)

Defintely grain free for me.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#38 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I didn't stay perfect SCD by any means- but tried to follow the basic principles- grains and sugars were kept to a minimum.
I'm thinking this is where I might go first...I'm really not trying to make huge changes in how *I* feel (I happily feel really really good, in part from being gluten and now grain free, but also just from TF eating in general!). I'm just looking for a diet that I like, can do, and has the foods that I want to eat in it. Part of me is drawn to SCD/GAPS b/c of the emphasis on gut healing--I'd love to continue on the path of healing certain food sensitivities w/ ds. So, we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy
Oh blah. I got some gorgeous, gluten free, whole food, fairly low carb granola yesterday when picking up my raw milk. It had buckwheat and rice bran in it.

WOW. I was shocked at how that little bit affected me. Felt like I got punched in the gut until I had a bowel movement this am (sorry, tmi)

Defintely grain free for me.
Thanks for posting this! Reiterates for me my current decision to be grain free!

I traditional foods
#39 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM

I'm sugar, gluten and dairy-free right now. Being sugar-free was the most dramatic change for me (cleared up my acne a lot - my skin is not perfect but so much better). Cutting out gluten and dairy hasn't seemed to do much. I was hoping it would give me more energy but I feel just as sluggish.

Maybe the next step is cutting out grains? That scares me (but so did removing sugar, gluten and dairy) but it may be worth a try.

Any basic info grain-free websites to suggest? TIA!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#40 of 57 Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post

I'm sugar, gluten and dairy-free right now. Being sugar-free was the most dramatic change for me (cleared up my acne a lot - my skin is not perfect but so much better). Cutting out gluten and dairy hasn't seemed to do much. I was hoping it would give me more energy but I feel just as sluggish.

Maybe the next step is cutting out grains? That scares me (but so did removing sugar, gluten and dairy) but it may be worth a try.

Any basic info grain-free websites to suggest? TIA!
Check out www.marksdailyapple.com and be sure to check out the forum for recipes and tips etc. I like http://www.elanaspantry.com/ for recipes too...

#41 of 57 Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Bumping this thread--that gf cake thread got me all excited!

Quote:
I didn't stay perfect SCD by any means- but tried to follow the basic principles- grains and sugars were kept to a minimum.
I wanted to thank you for your input crunchy_mama.

I've been reading and reading and reading, and cooking and cooking and cooking, and I am thinking I'll do some sort of a make-my-own paleo/SCD/GAPS/Body Ecology *inspired* diet--I'm thinking to keep out grains and sugars (besides honey) but to still do some potatoes and keep in (properly prepared) beans/legumes. (I tried doing all meat/veggie based meals, and we just did not have enough food!) I think I feel fine w/ potatoes (I'm going to try, for now , to stick to red new potatoes re:BED guidelines), along w/ sprouted and some soaked beans/legumes. And to keep bone broths and cultured/fermented foods as staples, etc...We'll see from there.

I am certainly feeling better and better about being totally grain free, and thinking it's something I certainly want to stick w/.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update and a thank you--deciding what *feels* best and IS best to eat is a pretty complex process! Having the input of this group is soooo valuable!!!

I traditional foods
#42 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 12:26 AM

So, has anyone else noticed feeling less hungry/more easily satisfied on a no grain diet?

We currently made the switch this Monday due to weight issues and dh's odd reactions to wheat (bloating, digestion issues, etc). We still eat lots of potatoes, squashes, sprouted legumes, etc. So not low carb at all. I feel great, dh feels unchanged.

Once I let go of my inner portion nazi in regards to eggs/meats, I've never felt better! It's weird, but fat never satisfies me, but lots of animal protein: bingo. It was so weird, how satisfied I felt after letting myself eat as much carne asada (cooked in bacon fat) as I wanted. Granted it was 1/3 lb but wow! I didn't want to eat after that, no snacks, nothing. Ate it at 5pm, still full at 11pm. I am sooo shocked. Even my need for veggies has gone down. I used to be the queen of HUMONGOUS salads--pure veggies, piled HIGH on huge dinner plates. Even with olive oil dressing, barely satisfied me. Now, a reasonable salad, a piece of fruit--I'm fine. I wonder why that is. Anyone else feel this way?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#43 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Bumping this thread--that gf cake thread got me all excited!

I wanted to thank you for your input crunchy_mama.

I've been reading and reading and reading, and cooking and cooking and cooking, and I am thinking I'll do some sort of a make-my-own paleo/SCD/GAPS/Body Ecology *inspired* diet--I'm thinking to keep out grains and sugars (besides honey) but to still do some potatoes and keep in (properly prepared) beans/legumes. (I tried doing all meat/veggie based meals, and we just did not have enough food!) I think I feel fine w/ potatoes (I'm going to try, for now , to stick to red new potatoes re:BED guidelines), along w/ sprouted and some soaked beans/legumes. And to keep bone broths and cultured/fermented foods as staples, etc...We'll see from there.

I am certainly feeling better and better about being totally grain free, and thinking it's something I certainly want to stick w/.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update and a thank you--deciding what *feels* best and IS best to eat is a pretty complex process! Having the input of this group is soooo valuable!!!
That is great that you have found what is working for you, and the great thing is you can always make changes if something isn't working. We are all so individual- I think it is important to remember that.

My eating is so whacky right now due to pregnancy. My appetite is here and there and everywhere, everyone says it must be due to the baby taking up so much room but it is driving me nuts. I have been up and down as far as grains- I will go days and not eat any and not miss them, and then a few grain heavy days- like Wednesday night we had tacos w/ hard shells and then lentils and rice for lunch and supper Friday. My servings generally are not super big though, as I just cannot seem to eat a lot right now. However, I am not feeling any ill effects from the carbs/grains and I am feeling really good and healthy. My energy and motivation is great. Getting some things done around here, which is good as I am nearing the end of pregnancy I have to satisfy that desire to nest!

I have also found that I don't really seem to tolerate a lot of eggs. I go back and forth on this, but they seem to suck the life from me, so I am trying to keep those to a minimum (1 or 2 x a week in baked goods) and I think that has made me feel better as well.

So, I am just following my cravings- lately that has meant a ton of beans for some reason- but generally those are always soaked. I do wonder how it will be once the baby comes, but I am trying to just focus on the now and doing what my body seems to need in the moment.

Also, it seems that with the weather change lately it has meant that I don't want my veggies as much. I bought the fixin's for a salad, which sounded good, but have yet to eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA Mom View Post
So, has anyone else noticed feeling less hungry/more easily satisfied on a no grain diet?

We currently made the switch this Monday due to weight issues and dh's odd reactions to wheat (bloating, digestion issues, etc). We still eat lots of potatoes, squashes, sprouted legumes, etc. So not low carb at all. I feel great, dh feels unchanged.

Once I let go of my inner portion nazi in regards to eggs/meats, I've never felt better! It's weird, but fat never satisfies me, but lots of animal protein: bingo. It was so weird, how satisfied I felt after letting myself eat as much carne asada (cooked in bacon fat) as I wanted. Granted it was 1/3 lb but wow! I didn't want to eat after that, no snacks, nothing. Ate it at 5pm, still full at 11pm. I am sooo shocked. Even my need for veggies has gone down. I used to be the queen of HUMONGOUS salads--pure veggies, piled HIGH on huge dinner plates. Even with olive oil dressing, barely satisfied me. Now, a reasonable salad, a piece of fruit--I'm fine. I wonder why that is. Anyone else feel this way?

Ami
MMMM! Sounds yummy! For me at first my appetite was pretty insatiable, but then it leveled off- I think my body was trying to fill the void from the grain/gluten cravings. I find it is hard for me as well to not worry about portions as well, especially with a tight budget.

#44 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Absolutely--probably a week into this change I've been feeling that--like I'm stuffed long b/4 I'm done w/ what I would call my usual serving. My regular I-want-to-have-a-snack cravings have really gone down as well--I'll find I'm pretty hungry by the time I start preparing a meal, but have not felt like eating (and probably wouldn't have started cooking yet were it not for ds and dh). This is a big change for me, as I used to get big cravings for grains specifically in the early afternoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
We are all so individual- I think it is important to remember that.
Absolutely! I can get really overzealous, even dogmatic at times (w/ myself esp.) when learning about something new that I think might be right for me (and my family)...it's always helpful for me to take a breath and really try to *feel* what works best for *me*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
So, I am just following my cravings
Have you heard of the book The Yoga of Eating? I've only read pieces of it, but I believe it is all about getting deeply in touch w/ your body, following your cravings, and that (after letting go of any baggage you have a/b food) you will naturally eat a diet that is very balanced and *right for you* by doing so...Your post just made me think of it! Seems like a cool read!

I traditional foods
#45 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! I can get really overzealous, even dogmatic at times (w/ myself esp.) when learning about something new that I think might be right for me (and my family)...it's always helpful for me to take a breath and really try to *feel* what works best for *me*.
I have to watch this as well. It is hard at times as everyone promotes their way as the only right way. Not that I don't think that some foods are definitely bad- like ho-hos. However, if you listen to any one of the "gurus" long enough they will convince you that their way is the way. It all seems ridiculous when you see the various people over the planet that have thrived on different diets. The idea that you have to have raw milk to be healthy is just as absurd to me as the idea that you cannot possibly be healthy with any animal products.

Quote:
Have you heard of the book The Yoga of Eating? I've only read pieces of it, but I believe it is all about getting deeply in touch w/ your body, following your cravings, and that (after letting go of any baggage you have a/b food) you will naturally eat a diet that is very balanced and *right for you* by doing so...Your post just made me think of it! Seems like a cool read!
Haven't read it, but it is certainly my personal philosophy. However, we all have to make a decision about how we want to feel. As long as it is a conscious choice away of what we are putting into our bodies and it's effect. I think for those of us w/ intolerance's like Celiac's disease we will not have accurate cues until those foods out of our body. And I see my body changing the longer I am off of gluten and the more I heal- the foods I needed at first are not exactly what I need now. Currently I seem to be tolerating more grains and carbs- whether that is a pregnancy thing or a change in me- time will tell.

However, I think a big key to this following your body is to keep foods as close to their natural state as possible. Grain flours(even if gf) just don't sit right with me- even if whole grains like brown rice, sorghum etc.- I eat them sometime, but it certainly doesn't feel optimal. However, I am at the point where brown rice feels fine and good- brown rice pasta- I feel sluggish and off. Quinoa- feels nourishing at times, but not to use quinoa flour.

I have also noticed that I don't now have the huge cravings and binges w/ grains as I once did. Before I could binge on rice or whatever, but now I can eat a bit and feel satisfied- but those grain baked goods- cause huge binging for me- not so much that I crave them- generally if I bake them it is something for the kids, but if I have it around I cannot hardly stop myself. Now grainfree baked goods- I don't gorge with and I don't feel a need to bake all the time.

I eat lots of potatoes- well depending on the week anyway, but I have never noticed ill effect from them. Or corn for that matter, it seems to work for me.

Anyway, I think it is helpful to view food positive instead of deprivation of I cannot eat this or that. I feel blessed to read my cues and know- these foods make me feel good. I don't know how to explain that well, but I just see my diet as nourishing me. I try to keep grainfree and sugar light, but I am not perfect or trying to be. I will have half the week where I meet that and the other half I don't. Those days aren't failures though. It is just a chance to learn and grow- how did I feel when I ate those things? If I felt good- good sleep- blood sugar stable- mood well- motivation strong- elimination normal- etc then those are great- if any of those are off I need to reexamine.

Anyway, I am rambling on and on- I just find it so fascinating. This "science" of listening to our bodies and using food as a medicine.

#46 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I have to watch this as well. It is hard at times as everyone promotes their way as the only right way. Not that I don't think that some foods are definitely bad- like ho-hos.

Quote:
However, we all have to make a decision about how we want to feel. As long as it is a conscious choice away of what we are putting into our bodies and it's effect. I think for those of us w/ intolerance's like Celiac's disease we will not have accurate cues until those foods out of our body. And I see my body changing the longer I am off of gluten and the more I heal- the foods I needed at first are not exactly what I need now. Currently I seem to be tolerating more grains and carbs- whether that is a pregnancy thing or a change in me- time will tell.

However, I think a big key to this following your body is to keep foods as close to their natural state as possible.
Absolutely! Going off of the foods ds was sensitive to (gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and eggs for a while) was a huge turning point in my life. Suddenly not eating processed foods, and preparing and eating mostly whole foods that I made from scratch was life changing. I think it enabled me, for the first time in my life, to really connect w/ my body and what I was eating--bringing me an awareness of how various foods effect me that I had not had before. I can now *feel* when I need a green smoothie, or meat, or fat etc...On days where I forgot to make my smoothie, I am parched, and then I remember--oh, I didn't make my smoothie...etc. This awareness of my own needs was just not accessable when I ate mostly factory processed foods (including 'organic' processed foods). It is something I am so grateful for now!

Quote:
Anyway, I think it is helpful to view food positive instead of deprivation of I cannot eat this or that. I feel blessed to read my cues and know- these foods make me feel good. I don't know how to explain that well, but I just see my diet as nourishing me.
YES! I think this has been a key for our family in terms of food sensitivity issues. I truly believe we CAN have anything we want (even when avoiding various foods)--and we make it happen (inspired of course by so many creative mamas and their blogs or recipe links here--it is AMAZING what can be made from a wide variety of ingredients!) I also think learning about unschooling and consensual living has really helped me see these food issues with a positive mindset. I really feel like anything is possible, and I am not forcing myself NOT to eat something--I'm choosing to eat so many wonderful things. And I don't *want* to eat foods that I don't feel will make me feel good--I've never felt this good b/4, which just inspires me to learn more and do more to proactively support my body and my health. And I want the same for my ds, I don't want him to ever feel deprived, so I continually work to make him most any food he desires using ingredients that are friendly to his body...

I just think this stuff is so cool!!! Like birth, co-sleeping, nursing on demand, etc, I think trusting ourselves, knowing ourselves and our needs (nutritional included) is something that is largely inborn/biological--but can be totally screwed up/distorted by one's upbringing/culture. I'm continually working on letting go of my cultural baggage, and feel so much better (and more in tune w/ myself) for it!

I traditional foods
#47 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM

*nodding head in agreement* Someone else to ramble with such things about, sigh! Someone who doesn't see us as defective. I hate this thought that some people have that we are defective or something because our intolerances. I look at our health and vitality and I feel great about it. I see on us on a path of increasing our health constantly and when sad and tired people eating crap feel sorry for us, I feel sorry for them! I am glad we had the motivation of Celiac's and secondly the intolerances to start making those changes, because who knows where we would be.

However, another key component is letting go of the perfection. Accepting it and embracing it and being conscious about it. I had some juju fruit candy the other day. Nothing remotely healthy about it, but I craved it and I ate it. It didn't set me off though. I recognized though that it didn't make me feel good, I didn't have a desire to eat more. Those instances have became less and less, thankfully. It seems to be helpful though for sometimes my body and mind to be reminded what those foods feel like.

#48 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I hate this thought that some people have that we are defective or something because our intolerances. I look at our health and vitality and I feel great about it. I see on us on a path of increasing our health constantly and when sad and tired people eating crap feel sorry for us, I feel sorry for them!
I was at a b-day party for a friend's daughter, and one of the women in her family offered me some cake. My son and I were eating our own homemade kind, and I just said, "oh, no thanks, my son has allergies" (not going to go into the 'food sensitivity' topic ). She looked at me for a second, and said, "What about you?" and I just said something like "I don't eat things he can't have in front of him." She looked at me like I was deprived and she felt so bad for me. And we were eating yummy chocolate cake we brought from home--not like we were munching lettuce while everyone else had dessert.

I do feel VERY fortunate that my son has lead me to learn about all this. I share little tidbits of info about TF, etc. when the moment seems right (which can be rare) and when people seem open, and have received some positive responses...I also feel like I know when to shut my mouth though (for example when talking w/ the vegan nutritionist at a friend's party who was discussing the importance of low fat etc...)

Quote:
However, another key component is letting go of the perfection. Accepting it and embracing it and being conscious about it. I had some juju fruit candy the other day. Nothing remotely healthy about it, but I craved it and I ate it. It didn't set me off though. I recognized though that it didn't make me feel good, I didn't have a desire to eat more. Those instances have became less and less, thankfully. It seems to be helpful though for sometimes my body and mind to be reminded what those foods feel like.
Yes--I've been amazed when I've tried various foods that I used to adore, and they often taste bland and so not as good as I remember them. I think I've lost cravings for many of them b/c of this. I try not to eat certain foods b/c I'm still nursing my sensitive ds, but he does not react when *I* have soy, so I've had it multiple times when I've felt like it (Asian style tofu dishes were some of my fave foods pre-TF days--when I was a carbaholic vegetarian). And I have usually felt like crap b/c of it--I'm sure b/c it's not properly processed/fermented (I don't believe soy is evil, just that it needs to be properly processed like so many other foods to be digested well). But I never feel guilty about anything I eat and feel like I'm continually learning about what foods serve me best, what foods bring me joy and health and all that other good stuff...Maybe one of the best things about all this has been letting go of the guilt I used to have about food (weight and body image issues in my past). I eat what I want, when I want, w/ no apologies.

Ahhh--I love talking about stuff like this.

Gotta run! Love talking about these kind of things though!!!

I traditional foods
#49 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I was at a b-day party for a friend's daughter, and one of the women in her family offered me some cake. My son and I were eating our own homemade kind, and I just said, "oh, no thanks, my son has allergies" (not going to go into the 'food sensitivity' topic ). She looked at me for a second, and said, "What about you?" and I just said something like "I don't eat things he can't have in front of him." She looked at me like I was deprived and she felt so bad for me. And we were eating yummy chocolate cake we brought from home--not like we were munching lettuce while everyone else had dessert.

I do feel VERY fortunate that my son has lead me to learn about all this. I share little tidbits of info about TF, etc. when the moment seems right (which can be rare) and when people seem open, and have received some positive responses...I also feel like I know when to shut my mouth though (for example when talking w/ the vegan nutritionist at a friend's party who was discussing the importance of low fat etc...)

Yes--I've been amazed when I've tried various foods that I used to adore, and they often taste bland and so not as good as I remember them. I think I've lost cravings for many of them b/c of this. I try not to eat certain foods b/c I'm still nursing my sensitive ds, but he does not react when *I* have soy, so I've had it multiple times when I've felt like it (Asian style tofu dishes were some of my fave foods pre-TF days--when I was a carbaholic vegetarian). And I have usually felt like crap b/c of it--I'm sure b/c it's not properly processed/fermented (I don't believe soy is evil, just that it needs to be properly processed like so many other foods to be digested well). But I never feel guilty about anything I eat and feel like I'm continually learning about what foods serve me best, what foods bring me joy and health and all that other good stuff...Maybe one of the best things about all this has been letting go of the guilt I used to have about food (weight and body image issues in my past). I eat what I want, when I want, w/ no apologies.

Ahhh--I love talking about stuff like this.

Gotta run! Love talking about these kind of things though!!!
Yep, no apologies to anybody about anything. Do the best you can at the moment and move on! It is a good philosophy with everything!

OH, I am posting another thread as I need some party food ideas- hopefully the ladies here have some good ideas as well!

#50 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ami
This is crazy hey!?! I eat two meals a day and never feel hungry, faint, dizzy or shaky, which I often felt before going grain free!

I don't know why this is, but I love it!

I feel like grains are like a drug, you crave them more and more and MORE when you are eating them. When you aren't, those cravings seem to just disapear.

#51 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update how I'm doing on my grain free journey.

www.marksdailyapple.com has been very inspiring to me, and feels really right. I like that I can have some cheese if I want, and it's not "breaking the rules". I tend to shy away from fundamentalism of all kinds, including dietary fundamentalism!

I continue to eat no grains, very little starches, plenty of meat, seafood, fat, veggies and some fruit. I also still intend to use maple syrup in moderation as a sweetener, as well as honey.

I love how I feel, how the weight is coming off and how happy my dh is to be having meat at every meal!

#52 of 57 Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Has anyone noticed that cutting out grains means less "personal waste?" . I'm not going to the bathroom as much or as often, IYKWIM. Excpet this week when I went on vacation and totally binged on wheat. Pizza, cake, you name it, I ate it. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I feel gross and bloated and yucky. It didn't even taste as good as I thought it would, but I felt since I already gave up, might as well get back on the wagon when I get home.
#53 of 57 Old 10-18-2009, 07:06 AM

On the elimination- I have to think as it has been a very, very long time since I first went grainfree and I have been gf for over a year now. I do get more frequent bm's with gluten, but less w/ too much grains- too little fat and veggies. When I had my diet very tuned and very paleo early this year- actually I was going more often, but not in a bad way- like it is w/ gluten. I guess it depends on what normal is for you and how your body reacts.

lil_earthmomma- that is great news about the weight- way to go!!!!

I will be here trying to lose in a couple of months myself! WEll, probably less as I am "due" in 4 weeks and tend to come early! I am very interested to see how my diet changes after birth. I know that first little bit I will likely be famished and ready to eat everything. However, generally when not pregnant I like to eat a lot less grains and carbs than I do now. However, with pregnancy it seems that I need more carbs- so who knows.

#54 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 AM

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-9...rom-vegetables

veggie noodles. I never knew there was an actual noodle maker. I have always done the cheap route- the veggie peeler. Anyway, thought you ladies might be interested. MMMM! That reminds me I haven't made my favorite carrot noodles in forever, I so need to do that!

#55 of 57 Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM

I think I need to try going grain free. I love my dairy too much to give that up, I haven't had any issues with dairy, ever.

Grains & sugar are my weaknesses though.

#56 of 57 Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM

Tomorrow I am officially dropping grains. I've been gluten-free since August so this will mainly mean getting rice and corn out of my diet.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#57 of 57 Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Subbing here too. I have way too much experience with this way of eating to not be doing it right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page