Is there a current grain free support thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so new to being grain free, and would love to chat with other mama's who are grain free.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#2 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Really?!? No other grain free mamas?

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 PM

look down the page away someone started a new paleo thread-

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 11:31 PM
nym

I'm grain free!!
#5 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm not grain free but am gluten (and dairy, soy and corn free), and tend to feel better on a low/no grains diet. My ds and dh love their grains, and I tend to eat whatever we are all eating iykwim! But I may, at some point, really try to go grain free as it does *feel* so good when I do it...

Have you seen the thread in the allergies section about pumpkin seed flour? I've been obsessed w/ it lately and it's totally a grain free way to bake!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#6 of 57 Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
I'm not grain free but am gluten (and dairy, soy and corn free), and tend to feel better on a low/no grains diet. My ds and dh love their grains, and I tend to eat whatever we are all eating iykwim! But I may, at some point, really try to go grain free as it does *feel* so good when I do it...

Have you seen the thread in the allergies section about pumpkin seed flour? I've been obsessed w/ it lately and it's totally a grain free way to bake!
I'm totally intrigued with pumpkin seed flour!!!

I'm not paleo (I love my dairy) so I don't know if that would be the right place for me...

Hi Nym! I didn't put two and two together till your psyllium husk thread!

#7 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 11:29 AM

DH and I have been grain free for about 2 months. My dh had been trying to loose his belly (not a huge amount of weight, but too much for his very narrow frame). He came across a blog called mark's daily apple. Mark Sisson calls his "diet" the "Primal Blueprint." It is grain-free, high protein, tons of veggies, some berries, and limited dairy. My dh has lost weight easily and steadily and feels great. I didn't need to lose weight at all, but I feel so good--no more bloating, and no more blood sugar issues or yeastiness. We also do high-intensity weight training, and I'm getting some nice, defined arm muscles. I have no desire to go back to grains. We eat meat, salmon, tons of huge salads, and mostly leafy green veggies, plus nuts, coconut oil, bacon (and we cook with the fat, yum!), lot of water, eggs daily, grass-fed beef about once a week. We also make kiefer and kimchee.

For treats, we bake with almond or coconut flour. I use stevia to sweeten, with a touch of honey. I'm intrigued by the idea of pumpkin seed flour and am going to try making some in the Vitamix. Pumpkin seeds are so much cheaper than almonds!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#8 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
DH and I have been grain free for about 2 months. My dh had been trying to loose his belly (not a huge amount of weight, but too much for his very narrow frame). He came across a blog called mark's daily apple. Mark Sisson calls his "diet" the "Primal Blueprint." It is grain-free, high protein, tons of veggies, some berries, and limited dairy. My dh has lost weight easily and steadily and feels great. I didn't need to lose weight at all, but I feel so good--no more bloating, and no more blood sugar issues or yeastiness. We also do high-intensity weight training, and I'm getting some nice, defined arm muscles. I have no desire to go back to grains. We eat meat, salmon, tons of huge salads, and mostly leafy green veggies, plus nuts, coconut oil, bacon (and we cook with the fat, yum!), lot of water, eggs daily, grass-fed beef about once a week. We also make kiefer and kimchee.

For treats, we bake with almond or coconut flour. I use stevia to sweeten, with a touch of honey. I'm intrigued by the idea of pumpkin seed flour and am going to try making some in the Vitamix. Pumpkin seeds are so much cheaper than almonds!
Oh will you PLEASE PLEASE PUUHLEAASSSEEEE share some of your almond flour and coconut flour recipes?!? I'm having some trouble.

#9 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 03:00 PM

I am contemplating going grain free. Did you find it hard, or did you feel better immediately?
#10 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Oh will you PLEASE PLEASE PUUHLEAASSSEEEE share some of your almond flour and coconut flour recipes?!?
I'd be interested as well.

I've loved some of the recipes I've tried from elanaspantry.com using home ground pumpkin seed flour to replace the almond flour, but I have really been wanting to try replacing the sweetners (I use honey) with mostly stevia...I've got some ideas in mind for how to modify the current recipes I've been using but would love to try some already-been-taste-tested recipes!

I traditional foods
#11 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
I am contemplating going grain free. Did you find it hard, or did you feel better immediately?
I felt better the next day!!!

#12 of 57 Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 PM
nym

I feel awesome. I have been completely grain free for a month now, and I feel so so so much better!
#13 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

So I had such a great success I just had to share:

Coconut flour brownies:

Ingredients

1/3 cup TIANA Organic Virgin Coconut Oil or butter, melted (I used butter)
½ cup cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 cup white sugar (next time I want to try maple syrup or honey)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup Coconut Flour
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional) I didn't bother.

Method

In a saucepan at low heat, blend together butter and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in nuts. Pour batter into a greased 8x8x2 inch pan. Bake at 175C (350F) for 30-35 minutes.

These had delicious flavor and a great texture, although I think it was more like a dense cake then a brownie. So yummy, full of fiber and goodness and decadent! I iced them with a homemade fudgy chocolate buttercream, but they would have been good on their own or with a simple melted chocolate ganache.

#14 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 AM

Have you seen this thread on being low carb? There are some SWEET links to recipes that are totally grain free (and pretty low carb as well).

I made some cauliflower 'rice' today, which was pretty good, and am longing to try a cauliflower pizza crust! (The recipe calls for cheese, so as someone who is dairy free, I've got to think on this...sounds delicious though!)

And another link w/ recipes from the low carb thread: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

Plus, http://paleofood.com has lots of grain free recipes too (the pie crusts look interesting to me! YUM!)

I'm all about substitutions--finding substitutions/replacements for my old favorites so that I never feel deprived when avoiding a food or 'food group'...

I traditional foods
#15 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 AM

earthmomma- so glad you had a recipe success! Sounds great! I made some bean brownies the other day, but they ended up more cake like as I substituted so many ingredients- the taste was good though!

I made Elana's flapjacks yesterday into waffles of course- I am running so low on nuts- I had a crazy mix of everything in the pantry- cashews, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, pecans- they were still as yummy as ever!!!!

I have always eyed that cauliflower pizza crust, but being df also I don't know how to make that work. I have done a crust before w/ almond flour that was edible- but certainly not great. And have recipes for another one made w/ nuts and seeds, but have yet to try it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#16 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 AM

I found this recipe for mashed potato pizza crust (I bet cauliflower might work in place of the potato, and I'm going to try it w/ a seed or nut flour--and probably add an egg for binding purposes--I like to play it safe after many mushy gluten free outcomes! I'm going to make it tonight w/ potatoes, and I'll lyk how it turns out!

Quote:
Mashed Potato Pizza Crust

3 cups cubed potatoes (Russets are nice)

1 cup flour (organic or un-bleached, if possible)

Herbs/seasonings of choice

Toppings of choice (for example, bell peppers, rinsed olives, IC friendly cheese, grilled vegetables, cooked IC safe meats, or cooked seafood)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or a little less if your oven is very hot). First boil the potatoes until they are done and then mash them, but don’t add extra liquids or fats. Next, slowly add in the flour, about ¼ at a time, until everything is well incorporated.

Add any herbs or seasoning that you like. Spread the mixture into a shallow tart pan (grease lightly or use non-stick) or onto a non-stick cookie sheet – you want a layer that is about a quarter of an inch thick or so, but you can make it higher if you want.

Bake for 12-15 minute, until the top begins to turn golden yellow.

Remove from the oven and cover with the toppings and sauce of your choice (a cheddar cheese sauce with pieces of broccoli and cauliflower is one of my favs, but not every ICer can tolerate cheddar so you may want to try mozzarella or Monterey Jack instead), quickly place back in the oven for a few minutes, or just flash under the grill (broiler) to melt the cheese (if using cheese).
ETA: This is another potato crust recipe--here are the ingredients for the base:
Quote:
4 potatoes, shredded
1 medium onion, grated
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
And these make a tasty appetizer--I've topped w/ bruchetta in the past (yum!)

I traditional foods
#17 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 AM

So, I think I'm really going to do this--you ladies are so inspiring! I know I feel better when grain free (from my past experiences trying it for short periods of time).

I'm making a list of substitutions for the grains I currently use here, in case it might be helpful to any of you (and to get myself organized!) I think that will make it an easier transition for me...

kelp noodles or mung bean noodles in place of rice pasta

nut/seed based baked goods (breads, muffins, crackers, cookies, cakes, etc.--based on recipes from paleofood.com and elanaspantry.com with minor substitutions--I've found them to work well so far!)

(possibly) potato or cauliflower pizza crust (we are gluten free, and pizza has not been something we've made a lot of b/c of lack of crust, so this is not a real big deal--something I'd just *like* to make in a tasty manner!)

riced cauliflower in place of rice

taco salad when ds and dh have turkey quesadillas on br. rice tortillas

Thanks again for the inspiration ladies! I'm sure I'll be back here for all the good ideas and support!

I traditional foods
#18 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 PM

I went grain free yesterday (although the leftovers I just ate had a little wild rice in it, so not entirely grain free...) My belly is already smaller! I was wheat free already, just eating oatmeal in the morning and a millet/flax flatbread at lunch, but I didn't miss them. I just steamed some zucchini to eat with my meatsauce last night!!

I am thinking about this as semi-paleo, although I am eating coconut oil and goat cheese. Plus, I'm not doing baking substitutions yet. Just seeing how my body reacts and hopefully resets itself. I do like using chick pea flour to make veggie pancakes. Do you include legumes in the grain free as well?
#19 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthmg View Post
I am thinking about this as semi-paleo, although I am eating coconut oil and goat cheese. Plus, I'm not doing baking substitutions yet. Just seeing how my body reacts and hopefully resets itself. I do like using chick pea flour to make veggie pancakes. Do you include legumes in the grain free as well?
I think coconut is ok w/ paleo...on paleofood.com there are recipes including CO...

In defining grain free I don't include legumes--I think paleo is no legumes but not 100% sure...

From paleofood.com:

Quote:
Recipes are: grain-free, bean-free, potato-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free.
Ingredients used: meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts, and berries.
(I'm sure there are other paleo sources that might conflict w/ this, but this is where I've gotten info on what is/is not paleo--not that I *am* paleo--I'm just really interested in it as the recipes usually work for us since we've been gluten/dairy/corn and soy free for some time...)

I traditional foods
#20 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM

I definte grain free just as grain free. Paleo is generally defined by no legumes as well- including chocolate- peanuts- carob- some even restrict peas and green beans as well and all nightshade plants- including tomatoes , peppers etc. However, for me the most important thing is being grain and sugar free.

Today has been a good day eating wise:
breakfast- eggs- sausage and veggie hash
lunch- chicken breast w/ lemon pepper- panfried w/ grassfed tallow - romaine- baby tomatoes- sunflower seeds - sesame seeds- and a quick dressing made of a bit of raw honey- mustard- sesame oil- sea salt and a pinch of cayenne

super will be something w/ the rest of the chicken I cooked- I have a sweet potato I will likely bake and mash and some broccoli as well.

I am craving some kind of snack as well but will have to think on that one!

#21 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM

subbing

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#22 of 57 Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 PM

Check out my grain free coconut flour banana bread! Yum!

I traditional foods
#23 of 57 Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Check out my grain free coconut flour banana bread! Yum!
Yum now I want some!!!

Thanks for all of the great links, I'm really enjoying my grain free cooking.

#24 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM

How's grain free cooking/eating going?

I've been fine--not even missing it (I used to have a/b 1 serving of grains a day--if that--rice pasta weekly, rice w/ a meal weekly, and sourdough buckwheat bread as toast or a sandwich a couple times a week--oh, and rice tortillas on taco night).

I definitely immediately felt a bit slimmer going grain free, but I really don't feel that different...Maybe b/c we are already gluten and corn free and don't eat that many grains to begin w/???

How do you all feel, and have you eperienced differences/changes in how you feel after a longer period of being grain free? I wonder, from this (limited) experience, if some of the grain free goodness is strongly related to gluten, along w/ the big issue of so many folks consuming improperly prepared grains?

What are all of your thoughts on this? (And I KNOW the paleo diet had no grains--and sometimes I think a/b switching to paleo living as well, just for fun ) I am just really suprised that I feel mostly the same as I did prior to dropping grains...I guess I just expected to feel a bigger change...(Perhaps b/c when I dropped gluten, I totally went through a kind of withdrawl--headaches and foggy brain, but came out feeling clearer and just plain healthier on 'the other side'--its something I'm definitely sensitive to!)

Just feeling slightly underwhelmed...

I traditional foods
#25 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
How's grain free cooking/eating going?

I've been fine--not even missing it (I used to have a/b 1 serving of grains a day--if that--rice pasta weekly, rice w/ a meal weekly, and sourdough buckwheat bread as toast or a sandwich a couple times a week--oh, and rice tortillas on taco night).

I definitely immediately felt a bit slimmer going grain free, but I really don't feel that different...Maybe b/c we are already gluten and corn free and don't eat that many grains to begin w/???

How do you all feel, and have you eperienced differences/changes in how you feel after a longer period of being grain free? I wonder, from this (limited) experience, if some of the grain free goodness is strongly related to gluten, along w/ the big issue of so many folks consuming improperly prepared grains?

What are all of your thoughts on this? (And I KNOW the paleo diet had no grains--and sometimes I think a/b switching to paleo living as well, just for fun ) I am just really suprised that I feel mostly the same as I did prior to dropping grains...I guess I just expected to feel a bigger change...(Perhaps b/c when I dropped gluten, I totally went through a kind of withdrawl--headaches and foggy brain, but came out feeling clearer and just plain healthier on 'the other side'--its something I'm definitely sensitive to!)

Just feeling slightly underwhelmed...
I totally know what you mean about feeling underwhelmed. I have gone grain free before and felt really not that different. I thought it would be huge... still don't eat that many grains, and when I do, it is only sprouted ezekial bread, cereal or their tortillas. But really not that often. I am worried that maybe to get a more significant change, I would have to go off my raw dairy too? Definitely won't be doing that tho until baby is born!
The best I ever felt was when I went 90% raw for a while last year. But I just don't agree with that philosophy ykwim? So I dunno! Anyway, I was just kinda happy to see someone else who is underwhelmed!
#26 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllearning85 View Post
I totally know what you mean about feeling underwhelmed. I have gone grain free before and felt really not that different. I thought it would be huge... still don't eat that many grains, and when I do, it is only sprouted ezekial bread, cereal or their tortillas. But really not that often. I am worried that maybe to get a more significant change, I would have to go off my raw dairy too? Definitely won't be doing that tho until baby is born!
The best I ever felt was when I went 90% raw for a while last year. But I just don't agree with that philosophy ykwim? So I dunno! Anyway, I was just kinda happy to see someone else who is underwhelmed!
I feel best RAW, too. I also don't agree with the whole philosphy. Soooo, I like to incorporate both. Grain free is just easier for me than Gluten free (which is what we have to be in our house), so I stick with it. I do notice (when I am not preggo) that I lose weight easier being grain free. I don't really have a lot of weight probs, but just a few stubborn pounds that won't leave unless I am grain free and come back when I start eating grains. I eat a lot of raw foods and don't have any probs keeping weight off eating that way. I *feel* good, too when I eat that way. I juice a lot and make a lot of raw food desserts, and appetizers. From there, I make sure to eat my high level of protein (that I NEED) and fat and that is where the worlds have combined for me

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
#27 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the replies ladies! I may stick w/ the grain free for some time more, then go off to kind of 'test' myself, to see if I feel any different adding them back in. (Sometimes it seems easier to notice how things really effect me that way...)

I traditional foods
#28 of 57 Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM

For me, it's not that I noticed a huge difference grain free, I felt a huge difference when I ate grains. I immediately felt heavier, bloated, and in fact, got diarrhea. I went totally grain free about a week ago, and lost 4 pounds. I ate white flour after not eating it for 9 months on friday- My son's pre-k class made lunch for us, and for some reason, a bagel and cream cheese broke my iron-clad will power. I was so sick that day and it continued for two more days. I think I'm wheat free forever now, and will do oats, rice and millet very occasionally.
#29 of 57 Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 AM

joining!

I have been eating moderately TF style for about 18-24 months now. (fairly well, not a lot of ferments and cultures, but cest la vie.) Been low carb for about 6 weeks to lose weight and I don't think I will ever to large amounts of grain again. I feel amazing. Low carb+TF+grain free seems to be magic for me.

I am halfway to my goal weight and am slowly adding back carbs, and I want to add fruits and starchy veg's first, then beans. But I am definitely on board with no grains, and very limited sugars, even natural ones.

Yay!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#30 of 57 Old 10-09-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
Oh will you PLEASE PLEASE PUUHLEAASSSEEEE share some of your almond flour and coconut flour recipes?!? I'm having some trouble.
I'm so sorry I never replied! Here are a couple of sites with good recipes:

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.c...grain-and.html (the photos will make your mouth water!)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/--she uses a lot of agave nectar, which I don't use. I substitute stevia with a touch of honey

Hmmm...now I feel like baking...

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page