Dairy free trial tips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my 2.5 yr old is REALLY REALLY into cheese and milk. And pretty much anything dairy. We're dealing with a face rash (around her mouth only and comes and goes), and constipation, so I was going to take her off dairy for a week and see how things change/don't change. We drink raw cows milk fyi.

So... what am I going to do about the no cheese and milk thing? Is there something I could give her at meals instead of milk to drink that tastes similar-ish? I know she'll beg for it. She only gets milk with meals or she would drink a gallon a day! And good TF friendly cheese like substitutes? She likes shredded cheese in everything and eats chunks for snacks all the time.

Should my husband and I stop drinking milk when she isn't drinking? My husband loves his raw cows milk with meals...

Thanks for your advice!

Lindsay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For a 2.5 year old, I'd take the whole family off dairy for a week, and not have any in the house. Then you can just say "we ran out". You could try a rice milk or coconut milk, but I'd actually just give her something completely different. Water would be good. And make foods that don't rely on milk or cheese:
chicken marsala
roast chicken with gravy over potatoes
pork roast, roasted veggies
eggs
etc.

Fry in coconut oil or olive oil instead of butter

Also keep a food journal with all the foods she's eating (and all symptoms) so that if it's NOT milk, or if it's milk AND something else, it'll be easier to tell.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List